• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
As you should be, this Ketsui port is great in terms of accuracy and made even better by the training tools and different arrange modes on offer.
I have been playing it a lot, going over the arcade challenges.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Ketsui on Friday but haven't had any time to play. Flip Grip is in too, but my Switch is still in its box (lol)

If i recall correctly, M2 made a poll asking which games the fans would most like to see getting a port and the top 3 were:
- Esp Ra.De
- The Great Rag Time Show (known as Boggie Wings in Japan)
- Progear no Arashi

m2denfaminicogamer2.png

So there's as good a chance as any.
The licensing could be the only real obstacle as i believe the owner is Capcom and not CAVE.
Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering all this time how Esp Ra.De was supposed to be pronounced, but that katakana makes it perfectly clear (just ignore the periods, so it comes out like "esprade" or "esper-raid").

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Progear is an amazing game but

please understand that I now REALLY need to see a hilariously polished M2 release of The Great Ragtime Show

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Ketsui on Friday but haven't had any time to play. Flip Grip is in too, but my Switch is still in its box (lol)

Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering all this time how Esp Ra.De was supposed to be pronounced, but that katakana makes it perfectly clear (just ignore the periods, so it comes out like "esprade" or "esper-raid").

It's a strange list to me. Progear makes total sense, but the others wouldn't even be in a West top 10 I (I wouldn't think). And how isn't Batrider top 3?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Gundemoniums came out of nowhere for me. I was checking out the Vita PSN for the Persona Dancing games and I saw this in the new releases. Sounds like it's an enhanced port of the original. Anyone play it? This a good way to get into the trilogy?

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Does RIVAL MEGAGUN have crossplay on Switch? Worried the mp will be dead in a week (if that). How good is the game played solo?

Btw, I need more shmups friends on Switch (it's always nice to compare scores for the ACA releases) and it was a sight to behold when Ikaruga released and there were 7 people simultaneously playing it on my friends list

I'm already friends with a few regulars here but my friendcode is on my profile if some of you guys want to add me :)
Might've added you way back but I'll try to remember whenever I get to my Switch.
Nice, how does it feel so far comfort wise/ease of use?
Played a bit of Gunbird 2 on it yesterday, felt fine comfort/weight distribution wise. Have to use the home button to sleep and adjust volume cause the buttons are covered by the grip. If you use the Hori dpad joycon...you can't, cause it's not wireless. if you have a rear skin I'm not sure if that'll cause a problem, the tolerances seem pretty tight but haven't looked at the rear clearance. There's a little locking clip thing to keep the Switch from sliding out, I could see that part rubbing skins the wrong way at least.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played a couple credits of Gunbird 2 on my Flip Grip but yeah, I think it's pretty comfortable and inserting/removing the Switch is pretty painless.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Progear is an amazing game but
please understand that I now REALLY need to see a hilariously polished M2 release of The Great Ragtime Show
It's a weird gem of a game.

It's a strange list to me. Progear makes total sense, but the others wouldn't even be in a West top 10 I (I wouldn't think). And how isn't Batrider top 3?
The list doesn't necessarily dictate their course of action and that poll didn't have that many votes in total. It's a niche genre, with a niche audience, doing a niche poll.

In regards to Batrider Mr. Horii from M2 said he is having a hard time running it at full speed on the PS4.
They have several games from CAVE and Raizing up and running, but when it gets to the part where you have to get 100% accuracy it gets complicated. He said it's even harder to do extra content that is compelling and interesting. But from what i have seen on this Ketsui port, they just raised the bar once again.
There's Original Arcade mode, Deathtiny mode, Ikeda Matsuri 2007 Special Version and the arcade challenge stuff.

I would like to see batrider though, having sold my PCB earlier this year.
Progear i still have a CPS2 with it somewhere.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, how does it feel so far comfort wise/ease of use?

I know it's been answered by others but I thought I would reply too. I think it feels pretty good in the hand, I know people were concerned about it not feeling balanced or weight issues but I haven't had any issues with that. Honestly my only issue with it is when inserting it. It always hits the volume buttons when you do so, so you need to go in and lower or adjust the volume by pressing the home button. It's not any sort of deal breaker or anything, but it is a minor annoyance. Other than that though I really dig it. I've spent a few hours with it over the last two days and am really glad I backed it.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's been answered by others but I thought I would reply too. I think it feels pretty good in the hand, I know people were concerned about it not feeling balanced or weight issues but I haven't had any issues with that. Honestly my only issue with it is when inserting it. It always hits the volume buttons when you do so, so you need to go in and lower or adjust the volume by pressing the home button. It's not any sort of deal breaker or anything, but it is a minor annoyance. Other than that though I really dig it. I've spent a few hours with it over the last two days and am really glad I backed it.

That's too bad about the volume buttons but like you said that sounds like a minor inconvenience, thanks for the info.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Flip Grip has me returning to Danmaku Unlimited 3. The guitar shred is slightly cheesy but in a completely endearing way. I love it. I'm not entirely clear what the interaction between the bullet graze and chaining is, if at all? Maybe I just wasn't paying attention close enough but it seemed like one would let you prolong the other, but then sometimes my chain would just dump immediately regardless? There is probably some timing element I am just missing.

Also, Doragon Ent, if you happen to be out there your press release page is fucked atm.
http://doragongames.com/press/sheet.php?p=danmaku_unlimited_3

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I adore the Flip Grip after using it last night. It's really comfortable. It sat perfectly on my fat gut while I played Donkey Kong and Gunbird 2. I then transitioned into the bed for some prone play and it was just as good. It has the feel of a Nintendo quality product. The Switch fits nicely and it has such cute marketing with Flippy everywhere.

Waves to all the RGBers...

22b075b3af529548f0af1e018ae8425c6bc37952_1_374x500.jpeg

921f1bc2d42b5eb08bc9a93feb2822e53f822f23_1_374x500.jpeg

d07bf75cbd6733597eb84f66d7ac2d253dacbc3d_1_374x500.jpeg

b9935a2729925a058b3eb4edc5630cb16287eda4_1_374x500.jpeg

013a8b1e591b4594ddae7dbf12ceac5ff47ad58a_1_374x500.jpeg

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Gundemoniums came out of nowhere for me. I was checking out the Vita PSN for the Persona Dancing games and I saw this in the new releases. Sounds like it's an enhanced port of the original. Anyone play it? This a good way to get into the trilogy?

I really enjoyed Gundemonium Recollection on pc and bought the others but couldn't seem to get into those as much.

All of the games have demos on steam if you want to try them out before you buy the vita/ps4 versions.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/92200/Gundemonium_Recollection/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/92210/Hitogata_Happa/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/92220/GundeadliGne/

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What're the chances of the Ketsui PS4 port getting a translation and release on (preferably EU) PSN? Do we know anything at all?

I could import the disc, but I know I'd play it more if it was digital and could pop it on super quick instead of having to fumble for the box and everything whenever I got a moment to play. Not sure how I'd go about buying it digitally on Japanese PSN and I'd much rather have the purchase registered to my main UK account for ease of access in the future instead of having to remember a random tertiary account's details.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
What're the chances of the Ketsui PS4 port getting a translation and release on (preferably EU) PSN? Do we know anything at all?

I could import the disc, but I know I'd play it more if it was digital and could pop it on super quick instead of having to fumble for the box and everything whenever I got a moment to play. Not sure how I'd go about buying it digitally on Japanese PSN and I'd much rather have the purchase registered to my main UK account for ease of access in the future instead of having to remember a random tertiary account's details.
When it comes to a an english release we have no information at all, i believe.
M2 has only translated 2 of the 3 shottrigger releases. They left Mahou Daisakusen out for some reason; even when they translate the things, it usually takes at least 6 months to a year.

When it comes to buying digital your only option is to have a secondary JP account. You can use PSN cards or Paypal for the payment.
You can still play the games on your main account.
I have a JP account since the PS3 days, when i wanted some ps1 titles that were released only in the states; they are all still in the console working as intended on my main EU account. I don't know how would i go about re-downloading as i never did have the need, but i would assume you're right about having to remember the credentials; it's a pain.

I have bought all the shottrigger releases on said account.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
M2 has only translated 2 of the 3 shottrigger releases. They left Mahou Daisakusen out for some reason
I double dipped on the first 2 and decided to hold off on mahou for an english release and naturally it would be stuck in limbo as a result.

Sorry, guys. It was me. I jinxed all of it.

My bad.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Just received my PS4 copy of GUNDEMONIUMS from StrictlyLimited Games - holy crap, I'm really glad I bought this on a whim, it's fantastic! The spritework is really good, and I need to find the soundtrack - it's amazing.

My big complaint is how shallow the tutorial. They don't mention a thing about ther scoring mechanics, and there is a few things displayed in the HUD that gets zero explanation. There is even a button (Shift/Burst) that they skip over in the tutorial completely. LOL - what were these guys thinking?!?

That aside though, I still have to recommend this to any shmup fan that likes side scrollers like Deathsmiles and Trouble Witches Neo.

If anyone is familar with this game - I'd love to hear about what the tutorial is missing. Namely the Friction and Phase stuff in the hud. :-)

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys. Made a video just doing a light overview of Rolling Gunner. I'm by no means well versed in the ways of shoot'em ups and I'm pretty nervous when it comes to talking on camera so forgive the rigidness, stuttering, etc. I just wanted to give this game some more exposure and hopefully someone sitting on the fence about this game gives it a chance.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. Made a video just doing a light overview of Rolling Gunner. I'm by no means well versed in the ways of shoot'em ups and I'm pretty nervous when it comes to talking on camera so forgive the rigidness, stuttering, etc. I just wanted to give this game some more exposure and hopefully someone sitting on the fence about this game gives it a chance.

I can't watch right now but just wanted to show support for new endeavors and will definitely check out later.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Nice video, Rayge. Good to have you back.

Unrelated, I picked up AKA TO BLUE. I hated the first 15 mins, because of the touch controls. Got used to it, but still would rather use traditional inputs. That said, the game is amazing! The production value is top notch. The gameplay is freakishly well tuned. You can play the game really sloppy, technically or down right cheesy. No matter your preferred style it always feels very satisfying and fun. The game's splash screen shows Unity Personal, it runs silky smooth on my humble Xiaomi Mi A1. What are they even doing?! Porting this gem to all platforms is such a no brainer and should be trivial.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice video, Rayge. Good to have you back.

Unrelated, I picked up AKA TO BLUE. I hated the first 15 mins, because of the touch controls. Got used to it, but still would rather use traditional inputs. That said, the game is amazing! The production value is top notch. The gameplay is freakishly well tuned. You can play the game really sloppy, technically or down right cheesy. No matter your preferred style it always feels very satisfying and fun. The game's splash screen shows Unity Personal, it runs silky smooth on my humble Xiaomi Mi A1. What are they even doing?! Porting this gem to all platforms is such a no brainer and should be trivial.
It's getting a revised version coming to arcades with traditional controls, but maybe eventually that version will come to other platforms down the line (pretty sure the Exa Arcadia platform agreement involves some kind of timed exclusivity).

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It's getting a revised version coming to arcades with traditional controls, but maybe eventually that version will come to other platforms down the line (pretty sure the Exa Arcadia platform agreement involves some kind of timed exclusivity).
Yeah, I know. The reason for my mobile purchase was, I got impatient ... hehe

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Just gave it a watch. Cool video and game. Agreed on the end stage tight cutscenes, has a bit of a fighting game win screen vibe.

Don't sweat any rigidness, it sounded perfectly normal from where I'm sitting. Only feedback I'd give is work on the ums and uhs, which I know is crazy stupid difficult when playing games like this because your brain is screaming to fill dead air with literally anything and uh is sometimes the best you can summon when 300 bullets are headed at you. Just one of those things that becomes more natural over time. Keep it up, looking forward to more.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Just received my PS4 copy of GUNDEMONIUMS from StrictlyLimited Games - holy crap, I'm really glad I bought this on a whim, it's fantastic! The spritework is really good, and I need to find the soundtrack - it's amazing.

My big complaint is how shallow the tutorial. They don't mention a thing about ther scoring mechanics, and there is a few things displayed in the HUD that gets zero explanation. There is even a button (Shift/Burst) that they skip over in the tutorial completely. LOL - what were these guys thinking?!?

That aside though, I still have to recommend this to any shmup fan that likes side scrollers like Deathsmiles and Trouble Witches Neo.

If anyone is familar with this game - I'd love to hear about what the tutorial is missing. Namely the Friction and Phase stuff in the hud. :-)

yea, i've been playing it for a while but no clue about those mechanics. also wish i knew how to get some of these trophies and unlock more characters. i think the game is not too hard to finish in the normal modes even without that tech. you can also buy upgrades to boost your character. cute artwork when you remove the disc!

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

AFAIK it's not timed exclusivity, it's full-on exclusivity for certain features or content--Exa wants to be able to say they're not merely offering console ports and Japanese arcade operators don't want to have to compete with home versions, so they lock exclusive additions or changes in order to make these games more desirable for operators or collectors or whatever.

In the case of Aka to Blue, the platform holder has said the tate arcade version that's planned for Exa will never be ported anywhere, but there's nothing keeping the developer from making, say, a 4:3 version for consoles. (The Switch version they half-announced was 4:3 but that's on the backburner while they make the arcade version and may never come out.)

M2 has only translated 2 of the 3 shottrigger releases. They left Mahou Daisakusen out for some reason; even when they translate the things, it usually takes at least 6 months to a year.

Mahou has way more text to translate than the others, they added tons of RPG-style flavor text for the gadgets. Maybe they can't justify the expense, maybe it's just taking a while, who knows.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing some Mushihimesama on Steam and have been slowly grabbing the achievements for the game and was wondering if anyone could clarify how to get the "Manic Shooter" achievement?

The goal is to get over 200,000 in fire count. I don't really have a good idea on how to go about it? I watched this video but it's in Japanese and blurry as all hell.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Eh yo why does the Dimensions ver. of Counter Attack sound too...I dunno tame?

It sounds too clean compared to the original ver. which sounds like it wants to overcome its sound chip's limitations and blast through everything

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh yo why does the Dimensions ver. of Counter Attack sound too...I dunno tame?

It sounds too clean compared to the original ver. which sounds like it wants to overcome its sound chip's limitations and blast through everything

I was surprised at how mild-sounding the Dimensions soundtrack is, yeah. And the visuals, too, honestly: they're nice and clean in the same way that Maverick Hunter X is, but this is at odds with the filthy, spooky alien world R-Type's low-res art suggests.

Thankfully you get the old assets too, though.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
A tad lacking in strategic depth but great fun nonetheless.
I can't recommend it on steam, however, as there's hardly anyone playing and it's very hard to find a game, I gave up after the first few days despite really enjoying it.
I thought it would have faired a lot better on the consoles but I've read people complaining that they've been sat for ten minutes waiting for a match.
A competitive shmup must just be too niche nowadays to find an audience big enough to keep it alive.

Black Bird, Steel Vampire and ZeroRanger are all excellent if you're looking for something new to play.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
A tad lacking in strategic depth but great fun nonetheless.
I can't recommend it on steam, however, as there's hardly anyone playing and it's very hard to find a game, I gave up after the first few days despite really enjoying it.
I thought it would have faired a lot better on the consoles but I've read people complaining that they've been sat for ten minutes waiting for a match.
A competitive shmup must just be too niche nowadays to find an audience big enough to keep it alive.

Black Bird, Steel Vampire and ZeroRanger are all excellent if you're looking for something new to play.
ZeroRanger is eventually, Steel Vampire is a bit too bullet hell for my interest (great art style though), and I don't like Black Bird's art style that much, nor am I big fan of the fantasy zone template.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, I've got my Flip Grip for Switch now. Anyone recommend me some vertical shmups that support tate?
Edit: This has me sorted. Already have Danmaku, so aww yiss. Now I can't wait until I get my Switch jig and payload dropper thingy so I can get Lakka/Retroarch up and running. All the tate-ness!

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Strikes 1945 isn't fun, so I stopped looking at the rest of what they ported, with the exception of Zero Gunner 2 since it was such a different game and the footage looked cool... which is why I was so disappointed when it wasn't even a port, but a bad attempt at a remake.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a shooter that isn't bullet hell, TBH. Haven't done any research at all so I'm probably wrong, but everything seems to be about dodging bullets and not much else. Something with the intensity of something like R-Type, but vertical (and with environmental objects, of course), would be perfect.

Fake edit: Oh, Raiden IV is coming to Switch. Sweet.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I'd love a shooter that isn't bullet hell, TBH. Haven't done any research at all so I'm probably wrong, but everything seems to be about dodging bullets and not much else. Something with the intensity of something like R-Type, but vertical (and with environmental objects, of course), would be perfect.

Fake edit: Oh, Raiden IV is coming to Switch. Sweet.

Raiden IV is...????