• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I need a d-pad joycon :/ When I get the money, I'll either get an extra joycon and do the mod, or just get the Nintendo-authorised retail one.

Modding is the superior option as then the joycon can still be used wirelessly. The Hori pad for example is handheld mode only.

Prices are abit steep still though, secondhand joycons can be 20$ still and the modcase is another 20$

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I got my Flip Grip yesterday, super impressed with the quality and comfort of the product not to mention Fan Gamer shipping it within just a few days of ordering. Good timing as I'll be taking a trip soon and this will make TATE play on the airplane a breeze.

GqBl66c.jpg

e6GREIQ.jpg

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Modding is the superior option as then the joycon can still be used wirelessly. The Hori pad for example is handheld mode only.

Prices are abit steep still though, secondhand joycons can be 20$ still and the modcase is another 20$

Is there a go-to guide to the modding and parts needed? I just picked up a flip grip, and I'm in need of this.. just sorta discovered that it's a thing.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a go-to guide to the modding and parts needed? I just picked up a flip grip, and I'm in need of this.. just sorta discovered that it's a thing.

I used this video guide,

And this dpad mod,
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32855827345.html

Video does mention this, but i atleast found it super important to BARELY tighten any screws inside, they otherwise squeeze the buttons. Also the nintendo triwing screws outside are the cheapest metal known to man and WILL strip very easily. I recommend also replacing those with the screws that should come with the replacement shell.

Other than that, it's quite easy to mod and only needs some nimble fingers.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Ugh, I need a d-pad joycon :/ When I get the money, I'll either get an extra joycon and do the mod, or just get the Nintendo-authorised retail one.
The dpad mod is...ok*, and while I have no clue how the licensed Hori ones feel, they don't have wireless so they won't work with the Flip Grip.

*It's too stiff, at least for small and low it is, and probably has to do with the main issue in that there's there's no pivot.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Took a break from Ketsui and have been playing progear lately. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it- made it to the final stage on one credit for the first time, and racked up my first 8 million score. Still have to use bombs at some intense points though.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Can you buy soundtrack/artbook DLC for a game on Steam if you don't have the base game? Steam gives you the warning that you need the base game but I don't know if that applies when it's not actually DLC appended to the game itself as content, but just bonus files added to the game's folder. I'm in a weird position where I have Black Bird on Switch but I want the artbook DLC which is only available on Steam.

Also, why on earth is Black Bird's digital soundtrack $30? That is insane.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
My copy of Ketsui arrived today but it didn't come with the art book. I guess unless the dealer can make it right I'll probably just have to end up buying the book separately. :(

Also, how do you get the DLC? There doesn't seem to be a code included in the game case.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The dpad mod is...ok*, and while I have no clue how the licensed Hori ones feel, they don't have wireless so they won't work with the Flip Grip.

*It's too stiff, at least for small and low it is, and probably has to do with the main issue in that there's there's no pivot.
Thanks for the tip, seems there's no great d-pad solution that'll work with the flip grip, which kinda sucks. I'd have thought there was a pivot in there, didn't realise there wasn't!

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Played a few credits of Ketsui last night while waiting for the Dragon Quest XI Switch stream. First time I ever played the game and really enjoying it so far. Is there a good, basic starter guide on the scoring?

Also really hope M2 or someone can get Cave's 360 catalog on PS4 at some point.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Played a few credits of Ketsui last night while waiting for the Dragon Quest XI Switch stream. First time I ever played the game and really enjoying it so far. Is there a good, basic starter guide on the scoring?

Also really hope M2 or someone can get Cave's 360 catalog on PS4 at some point.
Should be plenty of guides but for a rough super simplified quick start:

Regular/auto* shot starts the 1 to 5 box thing, value being determined by distance from the enemy during the kill. This starts a chain timer seen underneath the box counter stuff. While the counter is going you can use the lock shot and keep the triggered box value going, regardless of distance, and kills give short extends to the chain timer iirc. When the counter runs out the lock shot just gives 1 boxes.

So the basic way to play is to get a close kill with the regular/auto shot to trigger the 5 box (or highest you're comfortable with getting), then go straight into the lock shot until the timer runs out, then repeat. I think this works on basically everything but end level boss kills. It works on the bosses' non final transformation forms, boss parts, mid bosses, etc.

*Under continuous fire, regular and auto shot are the same, but for a single tap regular shot throws out a longer stream while auto shot gives a short burst. It's useful when you're being more careful about chaining here and there.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Also got a new copy of Raiden DX a few days ago, opened and played it tonight.

OVvXy1R.jpg

9jrgWVe.jpg

After getting a decent score on the main game I tried the "training mode" which I really enjoyed, seems to be an endless stage you can just have fun messing around in.

Should be plenty of guides but for a rough super simplified quick start:

Regular/auto* shot starts the 1 to 5 box thing, value being determined by distance from the enemy during the kill. This starts a chain timer seen underneath the box counter stuff. While the counter is going you can use the lock shot and keep the triggered box value going, regardless of distance, and kills give short extends to the chain timer iirc. When the counter runs out the lock shot just gives 1 boxes.

So the basic way to play is to get a close kill with the regular/auto shot to trigger the 5 box (or highest you're comfortable with getting), then go straight into the lock shot until the timer runs out, then repeat. I think this works on basically everything but end level boss kills. It works on the bosses' non final transformation forms, boss parts, mid bosses, etc.

*Under continuous fire, regular and auto shot are the same, but for a single tap regular shot throws out a longer stream while auto shot gives a short burst. It's useful when you're being more careful about chaining here and there.

Thanks for the helpful info. :) Someone on the RGB forum also pointed me to this guide:

http://www.world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Ketsui/ItemsAndScores.htm

I was able to experiment quite a bit with the scoring tonight and am really enjoying it so far, it has a nice risk/reward, "greed vs survival" feel to it that isn't too complex and off putting. As you said, going for smaller enemies to yield big score medals for lock on chains is the way to go, seems like trying to milk medals from bigger enemies is usually a waste of time.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Lancer demo is out. WonderSwan Color shmup. Looks like it includes a PC version as well.

game2.png
title.png
game3.gif

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Didn't see it mentioned, Black Bird is on sale on Steam and Switch. Held off cause I wasn't sure how I'd like the gameplay style but I'm finding it pretty fun.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My copy of Ketsui arrived today but it didn't come with the art book. I guess unless the dealer can make it right I'll probably just have to end up buying the book separately. :(

Also, how do you get the DLC? There doesn't seem to be a code included in the game case.
I've decided to get Ketsui but I can't figure out this art book thing. Where did your order yours? What retailer(s) include the art book? I collect art books and don't want to miss this one...
The C95 trailers dropped

Nice. But is there actually Cambria Sword news? That trailer is from two years ago. I have what I thought was the full version from DLsite.
Fire Lancer demo is out. WonderSwan Color shmup. Looks like it includes a PC version as well.

game2.png
title.png
game3.gif

Very cool! I love shmups with multiple playable ships. I like that this one has a Garegga style where each ship has four versions. Judgment Silversword proved the shmup capabilities of the WS so I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Last edited:

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I've decided to get Ketsui but I can't figure out this art book thing. Where did your order yours? What retailer(s) include the art book? I collect art books and don't want to miss this one...

I got mine through an eBay import dealer. Unfortunately I have no idea at this point if the art book was supposed to come with the physical copy by default or if it was an Amazon exclusive.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Nice. But is there actually Cambria Sword news? That trailer is from two years ago. I have what I thought was the full version from DLsite.

The guy you're quoting accidentally linked the wrong trailer.

The developer of Cambria Sword is making another game, this one's vertical. It's in the trailer reel somewhere.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, "the guy" made a mistake. What a baka gajin. Anyways here is the new game:

事象の地平メンダコ by Vagues

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
M2 retweeted this. From a glance of the linked article I don't see anything new but it looks like a fairly lengthy Q&A/interview if anyone is feeling up to the task of working through machine translation.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
We really need an Ibara Kuro: Black Label port. It just seems like the perfect blending of the Cave and Raizing styles of bullet hell. Maybe one day we will.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
This and Batrider would be my two picks.

Yeah Batrider would be amazing too. I fear that if they bring over Ibara it will just be the original version and not Kuro, which still would be nice but the scoring and screen filling up with multiplier numbers is way more satisfying in Kuro compared to the original. At least from the short time I played it through MAME.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Batrider would be amazing too. I fear that if they bring over Ibara it will just be the original version and not Kuro, which still would be nice but the scoring and screen filling up with multiplier numbers is way more satisfying in Kuro compared to the original. At least from the short time I played it through MAME.

I would expect M2 to include BL as DLC for Ibara.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
would def. buy a physical version of it day one. i used to play the vanilla PS2 version back in the day but that wasn't perfect.

Yeah same, it's really a shame Arika didn't do the ports of Ibara and Mushihimesama as their ports of Espgaluda and Dodonpachi on the PS2 are practically flawless. I think Ibara Kuro could be my favorite shmup of all time, it just feels great to play, has great graphics and music too. All I have to go off of is playing it in MAME though so to have a legit experience I'm sure would send me over the moon.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I could use some help on Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours' CS mode... there's two stages at the end of opposing branches that I just can't get past: Thousand Bullets in one and Hungry Gluttons in another. They don't seem to go down, and there's no upgrades on that path.

Is there something I'm missing to make this manageable?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I could use some help on Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours' CS mode... there's two stages at the end of opposing branches that I just can't get past: Thousand Bullets in one and Hungry Gluttons in another. They don't seem to go down, and there's no upgrades on that path.

Is there something I'm missing to make this manageable?
I used this map to avoid wild goose chases:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180419075847/http://silverhawk.html.xdomain.jp/

The original site http://silverhawk.html.xdomain.jp is currently offline. What a shame :(

Watch some super plays if you can't find another route, many bosses can be easily cutdown with a burst counter or rendered toothless with clever options placement.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
So I got Ketsui and the material book from an eBay seller. How am I supposed to get the free DLC? I assumed there would be a slip in the case so I didn't think about it before buying. Did the seller get an email with the code when he bought it?

Also, what's the POP someone mentioned earlier? And I haven't seen hide nor tail of the CD that was apparently released.