• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
A Ketsui western release would be incredible. I already imported the game but it would be much easier to recommend the game to my friends if it were released to the west.

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Hiroshi Iuchi posted his year-in-review blog a few days ago. Google translate gives us his Ubusuna tidbit:

about [Ubsuna Ubusuna] The environment and the situation of the development has not changed much, but can you say that it is progressing a little bit before?
I think. Regarding the progress, the event of the company that was held in November this year "EMUs shot Trigers Crossbow Thanksgiving" and I think you have seen in the related articles, etc., the game itself is moving normally, it is a state to play normally.

(Naturally, although it is not yet finished level)
As for the work of the program, I repeat the work to improve the accuracy of the enjoyment while constructing each stage according to the specification. The biggest problem at present is the graphics.
I have approached several companies and people, but I have not been able to secure a designer (modeler) until now. For this reason, we are now creating a tentative model at the level of the object, the background and the atmosphere, and taking a way to advance the production of the game side.
(In other words, I'm going to make the part of the game first, so I'm working on it.) So, most of the graphic material is unfinished.

Since it is also a part that takes a lot of time and effort as a resource production, the big deal with regard to the future release time is whether you can find people around here well. Sound is also an important factor as well, but this is also a policy

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Anyone plan on getting the special edition of the Darius collection on Switch? It's absolutely predatory that half the games are locked behind a $160 special edition but I love Darius so the joke's on me.

It's been a while since I've bought anything directly from Amazon Japan. Does Amazon Japan charge you when the product releases or the moment you make the pre-order?

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone plan on getting the special edition of the Darius collection on Switch? It's absolutely predatory that half the games are locked behind a $160 special edition but I love Darius so the joke's on me.

It's been a while since I've bought anything directly from Amazon Japan. Does Amazon Japan charge you when the product releases or the moment you make the pre-order?

They charge when the item ships.

That news about half the games being gated by the special edition is wild, lol. If they overestimate the demand for the special edition like M2 did with that weird disc-less Garegga PS4 set, the price should crater similarly and put it in impulse range for me. I'm gonna wait and see.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Jesus, that's bad. Are the games on cart at least?
I have no idea, but I doubt it.

That news about half the games being gated by the special edition is wild, lol. If they overestimate the demand for the special edition like M2 did with that weird disc-less Garegga PS4 set, the price should crater similarly and put it in impulse range for me. I'm gonna wait and see.
I think there's a big difference between that Garegga set (which I do intend to buy at some point <_<) that doesn't have the game and a special edition with most of the Darius series on it (notably, G-Darius is still absent). I'm not taking any chances.

Edit: I just learned that if you pre-ordered the game last year on Prime Day, you get a code for the Game Boy version of Sagaia. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

The price isn't going to crater, Taito's done similar crazy expensive Darius LEs in Japan and they always sell. The last one they did was literally just Arcade Archives Darius on a disc with a bunch of soundtracks and it cost almost as much. Japan doesn't give nearly as much of a shit about that sort of thing.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see Dunkey put a few shmups on his Best of 2018 list. Good picks too.

14. Monolith
12. Downwell (I'm including it. Shut up.)
4. ZeroRanger

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea, but I doubt it.

I think there's a big difference between that Garegga set (which I do intend to buy at some point <_<) that doesn't have the game and a special edition with most of the Darius series on it (notably, G-Darius is still absent). I'm not taking any chances.

Edit: I just learned that if you pre-ordered the game last year on Prime Day, you get a code for the Game Boy version of Sagaia. Unbelievable.

Wow that sucks..

I did my Darius order thru Amazon JP a long while back and in looking now, whatever version I bought signed me up for Amazon Prime in Japan. I've apparently been paying for that monthly, and the version I got was somehow also gated behind Prime.

So yeah, now I'm afraid to cancel my Prime that can't be used until I get the game. You'd think orders ordered BEFORE Prime Day would qualify.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Neko Navy is all kinds of amazing! Buy! Buy! Buy!
Overdriven Reloaded I played for 40 minutes and never went back.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Wait Neko Navi is good?

Btw is RNX Raijin worth it now that it's been perma price-dropped to $10?
The videos never looked too hot, but the dev has Raiden pedigree.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Wait Neko Navi is good?

You're damn right it is! Not my best run, I've nearly doubled my score since, but just watch a couple of minutes and you'll see how much fun it is to play.

The guy behind it released a really fun top down shooter recently called "Area 4642" which is great, but perhaps a tad overpriced. You'll blast through it in an hour without dying much if you're any good, and I didn't feel the urge to replay it. Definitely grab it when it's on sale though. It's amazing, feels just like an arcade game but with mouse and keyboard controls.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/948100/AREA_4643/

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
You're damn right it is! Not my best run, I've nearly doubled my score since, but just watch a couple of minutes and you'll see how much fun it is to play.

The guy behind it released a really fun top down shooter recently called "Area 4642" which is great, but perhaps a tad overpriced. You'll blast through it in an hour without dying much if you're any good, and I didn't feel the urge to replay it. Definitely grab it when it's on sale though. It's amazing, feels just like an arcade game but with mouse and keyboard controls.

clippa, you are my man!

'AREA 4646' looks damn amazing, it does all the things that I love in STG games.

What a fucking GORGEOUS game.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

It does look kinda fun but maybe a bit too bullet hell for me so I'll probably pass (for now). Nice playing though. And I've has Area 4642 wishlisted on Steam for a while now but didn't know it was the same developer. It looks good.
Zero Ranger looks amazing. I'm going to have to get on that.
Allow me to pimp my old OT in case you haven't seen it. :P

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought Neko Navy from Humble Store. It was $5.49 and for some reason Humble applied a $5 store coupon automatically.

I have no idea where the coupon came from, but it made the game $0.49.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I don't own a Switch nor do I want one, but it's great to see SHMUPs doing well there. Ultimately it's good for the genre and its fans.

EDIT: case in point, Psyvariar Delta's Steam page is up, release date: 30 Jan, 2019

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own a Switch nor do I want one, but it's great to see SHMUPs doing well there. Ultimately it's good for the genre and its fans.

It's not a bad platform for it, especially as it comes with two basic controllers. So you can play most games 2-player mode on the spot. The Flipgrip vertical stand for the screen is also a nice addition.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a bad platform for it, especially as it comes with two basic controllers. So you can play most games 2-player mode on the spot. The Flipgrip vertical stand for the screen is also a nice addition.
I know all that. My TATE needs are covered since my PC display pivots and I prefer larger screens anyway. I'm also knee deep in controllers and sticks. I don't need the portability. Switch is a nice system, which does nothing for me. I'm happy for people who enjoy it.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
been in discord mostly,

but been trying to beat R-Type III 2nd loop:
XvAt8JEh.jpg

D9B9Wmih.jpg

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I've been looking for this flash animation for years...and had a copy on my drive this whole time:

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Tavia is the strongest character in Gunbird 2 right? Her shot is really powerful and her melee cuts through bullets.

I wonder if someone tried making a tier list of all the characters.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm annoyed shmups don't have their own eshop category. if you just search 'shmup' you don't get any of the neo geo ones, and I assume there's just whole swathes of other console ports or whatever that are missing.

What's the good recommends for classic-style Japanese arcade shmups besides 1945 II?

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
i'm annoyed shmups don't have their own eshop category. if you just search 'shmup' you don't get any of the neo geo ones, and I assume there's just whole swathes of other console ports or whatever that are missing.

What's the good recommends for classic-style Japanese arcade shmups besides 1945 II?

Gunbird 2 is the best Psikyo shooter on Switch and an all time classic imo. Dragon Blaze is really good as well and more old school in design. There's also Tengai which is a horizontal shooter if you're into those. Really you can't go wrong with any second generation Psikyo shmup.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

The developer of the 1945 series has a bunch of arcade shmups on Switch: 1945 1 and 2 with 3/1999 coming soon, Gunbird 1 and 2, Sengoku Ace and Sengoku Blade, Dragon Blaze and a couple others.

Ikaruga's there, obviously, and Psyvariar Delta will hit the overseas eShop very soon which is another unique arcade game from the same era,

For Neo Geo shmups, I recommend Pulstar (more R-Type-y) and Blazing Star (more modern/score-focused) or Aero Fighters 2 or 3.

Regular Arcade Archives has a bunch of late-80's shmups,, I'd recommend Omega Fighter and Star Force. PS4 Arcade Archives has a bunch of Konami/Taito games that aren't yet on Switch, sadly. R-Type and Image Fight are coming, at least.

R-Type Dimensions EX showed up recently, it's a decent 2.5D remake of the first two R-Type games.

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
I finally received the Psikyo Collection Vol 1 & 2 for the Switch that I ordered from Play Asia almost 8 weeks ago.

I've ordered about a dozen things from Play Asia over the years and I usually received them within a few weeks... is this a new trend with Play Asia or did I just get lucky over the years?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I finally received the Psikyo Collection Vol 1 & 2 for the Switch that I ordered from Play Asia almost 8 weeks ago.

I've ordered about a dozen things from Play Asia over the years and I usually received them within a few weeks... is this a new trend with Play Asia or did I just get lucky over the years?

I am in the US and haven't had abnormal delays, but I've been having to sign for every damn package.. so a trip to the post office for each. They say they can't avoid it. Somehow every other overseas company is avoiding it just fine.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
Waiting for a ACA/HAMSTER/Psikyo sale on eShop this year. ACA releases had sales almost every year on platforms such as PSN I saw, hope Switch owners get to join in.

Although there were a few ACA Neo Geo games on sale on eShop about 6 months ago, I already had them in my library. A few classic arcade games to join them would do very nicely.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Anyone pick up/interested in Demon's Tilt? I learned about it from a dedicated episode of the great Electric Underground shmup podcast. It's basically a pinball and shmup hybrid, owing inspiration to games like Dodonpachi and the Crush pinball series on the TG16. Looks pretty great to me as a fan of both genres but I dunno how many of you folks like pinball. It seems like the gameplay itself is very pinball-y but some of the scoring and visual sensibilities are very shmup-y. Looks like some people are talking about it in the Pinball community thread. The game's in early access right now with more features to come. I tend to hold off on EA titles but I'm pretty tempted to get in on the game now. Here's the release trailer:

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for a ACA/HAMSTER/Psikyo sale on eShop this year. ACA releases had sales almost every year on platforms such as PSN I saw, hope Switch owners get to join in.

Although there were a few ACA Neo Geo games on sale on eShop about 6 months ago, I already had them in my library. A few classic arcade games to join them would do very nicely.

This isn't true, don't think I've ever seen them on sale.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone pick up/interested in Demon's Tilt? I learned about it from a dedicated episode of the great Electric Underground shmup podcast. It's basically a pinball and shmup hybrid, owing inspiration to games like Dodonpachi and the Crush pinball series on the TG16. Looks pretty great to me as a fan of both genres but I dunno how many of you folks like pinball. It seems like the gameplay itself is very pinball-y but some of the scoring and visual sensibilities are very shmup-y. Looks like some people are talking about it in the Pinball community thread. The game's in early access right now with more features to come. I tend to hold off on EA titles but I'm pretty tempted to get in on the game now. Here's the release trailer:

I posted about it in the pinball threads. Its really good, but being early access there are tons of bugs. I have still played it a bunch though. Its definitely more pinball than shmup, highly recommended though. Hopefully they fix bugs quickly.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
For a long time I've wanted to read EDGE magazine's April 1998 feature article on R-Type. Here it is.

fqAvqxa.png

ehgrKsL.jpg

OXDGYXt.jpg

X439Bic.jpg

fXuYopx.png

l8Cwq0e.png

Jg5wAw5.png

Also EDGE's R-Type Delta preview and review.

XElQOFS.jpg

lGpYOJB.jpg

R-Type Final preview and review

mvbbLgZ.jpg

bzJGljP.jpg

R-Type Tactics (Command) preview

4zLogwv.jpg

Last edited: