• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
I have seen a handful of Xbox ACA NEO GEO titles on sale. I have never seen an Arcade Archives title on sale, across PS4/Xbox/Switch.
Yeah, only once on Switch (on PS4 at least 3 or 4 times now). Wasn't such a treat though, 'cause I already them in my Switch library. Let's hope they come back and have a larger library on sale instead of just about 6 or 8.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, only once on Switch (on PS4 at least 3 or 4 times now). Wasn't such a treat though, 'cause I already them in my Switch library. Let's hope they come back and have a larger library on sale instead of just about 6 or 8.

I don't think so, it was all ACA NEO-GEO titles on the Switch's sale too, no ACA titles were ever on sale afaik.

Also: hey I have that Edge magazine!
Cover is fabulous, so black, the paper so thick and the color pops so much... it makes you want to order that same art to hang it on a wall!
Now that I think about it, I took the magazine from Square Enix's offices (we, well they, had full collections for all of the most important game magazines) and I must've forgot to ever take it back to work... since I've found in inside a box when moving to Spain like 10 years later lol

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
Last edited:

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
The message you were quoting mentioned ACA games never being on sale and you replied with "yeah only once on Switch".
ACA and ACA Neo-Geo are two different series. Nevermind anyway, I think it was just a stupid little misunderstanding :)
Yeah :) But I've been pretty clear from the start though. If anyone is asking me out of context that I was wrong with any ACA games being on sale, then I answer them that they in fact were, since ACA Neo Geo games are part of the ACA releases. But let's move on ;)

Besides, even the non-Neo Geo ACA games have been on sale multiple times, just not on Switch yet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey guys, got a misc shmup today
3eOYVNpm.jpg

SJELDxQm.jpg

zuYfyrkm.jpg

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure how many of you guys frequent the Limited Run Games thread. But LRG are releasing Tengoku CruisnMix tomorrow.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm not sure how many of you guys frequent the Limited Run Games thread. But LRG are releasing Tengoku CruisnMix tomorrow.

Saw this yesterday. I am disappointed they've gone with LRG. I have a lot of problems with LRG, the way they do things, and the culture they've fostered. The fact that the Japanese special edition for the PS4 is still widely available online but this LRG version is limited to 1400 copies is unfortunate. Also, the fact that the Tatsujin ship DLC is exclusive to the special edition is pretty terrible. If anyone is interested in this, you're gonna wanna bite right at 10am EST.

All of that said, I've caved twice on LRG releases and bought them despite myself. And this might be the third.

Last edited:

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Saw this yesterday. I am disappointed they've gone with LRG. I have a lot of problems with LRG, the way they do things, and the culture they've fostered. The fact that the Japanese special edition for the PS4 is still widely available online but this LRG version is limited to 1400 copies is unfortunate. Also, the fact that the Tatsujin ship DLC is exclusive to the special edition is pretty terrible. If anyone is interested in this, you're gonna wanna bite right at 10am EST.

All of that said, I've caved twice on LRG releases and bought them despite myself. And this might be the third.

What don't you like about how they do things/the culture they've helped foster?

What are your thoughts on this game overall?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
What don't you like about how they do things/the culture they've helped foster?

What are your thoughts on this game overall?
The game itself is great. I have a soft spot for parody shmups like Parodius and Star Parodier and Game Tengoku is good goofy fun. If it looks like something that would appeal to you, then it most likely will.

As for LRG, they have developed this hype culture around their releases that is just generally bad for the games and the hardcore fans of those games, I think. For a lot of their special editions they manufacture scarcity to drive up hype, fervor, and scalping. I say it's manufactured scarcity because it literally is -- while many of their standard games are available for longer periods under a pre-order window where print run sizes are determined by amount of pre-orders, their special editions like this one already have determined print run sizes. The little notice that says it's "currently in manufacturing" plus the fact that they do larger pre-order windows to satisfy demand for other games (like Celeste right now) makes it seem to me that they could do the same for special editions, but they don't. People should not miss out on a special edition of a game they like because they happened to be busy at 10am on a weekday. I've seen special editions sell out in seconds, and then people will turn around and sell their pre-orders on eBay. In contrast, the Japanese special edition of Game Tengoku is still widely available online.

LRG has built this premier, limited vibe that feels anathema to what is ostensibly their goal of releasing physical copies for gamers who like physical copies of their favorite games, because I don't know how many of these copies are actually getting into their hands. They sell these display cases and stuff just for displaying the games which just feels kinda ridiculous to me. Back when LRG was first starting I listened to a podcast interview with one of the founders and he came off pretty arrogant, and I think that attitude has translated into how they do things.

I might be too hard on them -- it's not like every special edition gets super expensive if you want to buy it on eBay. I just think they get away with some bullshit and having to plan your day around getting one of their limited products is dumb -- and frustrating if you don't end up getting it in time, especially when the stakes include actual game content as they do here.

Honestly, Degica's handling of Game Tengoku has been consistently rough too though. They accidentally released the game before they intended on PSN (?) and then told people to please not buy it yet (???), then later they released the updated version as a patch, and now they've got a physical version coming in limited quantities. I bought the digital game day one because I was excited for the game, but they didn't make it clear that digital owners would never ever be able to get the Tatsujin ship DLC which is exclusive to the 1400 LRG special editions.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't like LRG then you're going to hate EXA, from the sounds of things.

Honestly, Degica's handling of Game Tengoku has been consistently rough too though. They accidentally released the game before they intended on PSN (?) and then told people to please not buy it yet (???), then later they released the updated version as a patch, and now they've got a physical version coming in limited quantities. I bought the digital game day one because I was excited for the game, but they didn't make it clear that digital owners would never ever be able to get the Tatsujin ship DLC which is exclusive to the 1400 LRG special editions.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that I'm pretty sure they didn't learn about the Special revision until it was announced publicly and all the weirdness around the release comes from them scrambling to somehow incorporate that content at the last second.

I honestly don't know why it got a full-blown revision, even in Japan, it barely adds anything.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If you don't like LRG then you're going to hate EXA, from the sounds of things.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that I'm pretty sure they didn't learn about the Special revision until it was announced publicly and all the weirdness around the release comes from them scrambling to somehow incorporate that content at the last second.

I honestly don't know why it got a full-blown revision, even in Japan, it barely adds anything.
Funny you mention EXA. I see that as a necessary evil in the attempt to revitalize the arcade scene and in turn foster development of more arcade-y games but that doesn't mean I like how it's shaping up. I listened to an interview with the EXA founder and it was like that LRG interview all over again in terms of attitude. EXA is clearly trying to appeal to arcade-owners by maximizing their profit potential which makes sense since they need to really make these cabinets seem appealing, but hearing the founder say they're discouraging second loops since they let good players play too long was so off-putting from a player perspective.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least second loops (and more broadly long-ass arcade games in general) get a lot of flak from players, too, from what I've seen.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I have to agree with you. Locking the extra (desirable) DLC on disk with all the extra LE crap is despicable.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017

i didn't know the tatsujin dlc was locked to a LE. what a disgrace, it should have been on every copy. now even if you get a limited print standard game it feels incomplete.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
That's hardly the first time for LRG or any of these boutique publishers, I've seen quite a few of them that lack on-disc DLC, important patches, etc. The rhetoric about the longevity of physical releases goes out the window whenever it's convenient.

I've not heard whatever interview you're referring to but the complaint about loops is pretty standard and has been around for years--in essence, arcade operators expect a game to generate a certain amount of income per hour and single-player games with a long clear time are always a hard sell in that respect. It's not just something that's applied to new games, many Japanese arcades have started jacking up the price on certain classic games for the simple reason that too many people are too good at them and they no longer generate the income they once did.

Your main concern should be EXA mandating EXA-exclusive content for all their games--literally everything they've announced so far is an arranged version of an existing product that the developers aren't allowed to back-port to consoles or PC and you're going to have to pay dumb prices to play those versions at home, and that's before all the obnoxious collectors' bullshit comes into play.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
^the EXA exclusive content really irritates me because in some cases its huge improvements that I will never see, e.g. AKA to Blue getting a proper arcade mode, and Super Hydorah ditching checkpoint respawn.

I would play both of those games so much more with these changes.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
^the EXA exclusive content really irritates me because in some cases its huge improvements that I will never see, e.g. AKA to Blue getting a proper arcade mode, and Super Hydorah ditching checkpoint respawn.

I would play both of those games so much more with these changes.

Yeah I agree with this. I was initially going to pick up a system for one of my cabs, but the excitement of those things has waned. I just don't use them like I used to.

That definitely taints the home ports and I'll likely skip what I haven't already picked up, and that's after buying pretty much every shmup since PlayStation/Saturn days, and many dating back to the beginning.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
That's hardly the first time for LRG or any of these boutique publishers, I've seen quite a few of them that lack on-disc DLC, important patches, etc. The rhetoric about the longevity of physical releases goes out the window whenever it's convenient.

I've not heard whatever interview you're referring to but the complaint about loops is pretty standard and has been around for years--in essence, arcade operators expect a game to generate a certain amount of income per hour and single-player games with a long clear time are always a hard sell in that respect. It's not just something that's applied to new games, many Japanese arcades have started jacking up the price on certain classic games for the simple reason that too many people are too good at them and they no longer generate the income they once did.

Your main concern should be EXA mandating EXA-exclusive content for all their games--literally everything they've announced so far is an arranged version of an existing product that the developers aren't allowed to back-port to consoles or PC and you're going to have to pay dumb prices to play those versions at home, and that's before all the obnoxious collectors' bullshit comes into play.
Yeah, you're right about the EXA-exclusive content. It's really frustrating that I will inevitably miss out on new content in games I really like like Super Hydorah. The loop thing is less important to me than the fact that it is a symptom of the hard and fast rules that EXA has for developers which I think is bunk. It further cements EXA as being operator-focused which, of course, I understand from the business perspective but dislike as a player. I think placing these strict mandates is just not good.

I'm also just not into the arcade scene so the potential boon of EXA revitalizing development of arcade-oriented games which I would then want home releases for seems all kinds of unlikely due to their current model. I think that timed exclusivity for the new features for EXA ports (maybe, I dunno, a year?) would be a better approach and it certainly worked for fighting games like Tekken 7.

Last edited:

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
I love shmups but i'm not super familiar with the behind the scenes stuff. So this might sound like a dumb question to ask in this thread. But who is "EXA"?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I love shmups but i'm not super familiar with the behind the scenes stuff. So this might sound like a dumb question to ask in this thread. But who is "EXA"?

https://www.wilcoxarcade.com/single...e-to-fix-the-arcade-industry-at-its-very-core

http://www.arcadebelgium.be/ab.php?r=art&p=int001

One of the drivers behind this is Eric Chung, Shou / Shousama / Shoutime on various forums. I'm not sure if he has a presence here. I should probably state it as the main driver..

Edit: Eric was a huge Neo-Geo guy back in the heyday. He's been into just about everything else as well, but it's not surprising for him to take some of the MVS philosophy with him into this.

Last edited:

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
exA Arcadia is a new arcade platform. Basically meant to be simpler, affordable, and profitable for arcade owners iirc. One of the restrictions is that there needs to be arcade exclusive stuff if there's console versions, which is kinda crappy if you're like most people and will never have the arcade system/games. (Fake edit: the links above probably have a better explanation)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing Shoutime in the credits for the Netflix Hi-Score Girl anime. Dude's making waves.

I used to know him b/c he's from my town, but we weren't hang out buddies or anything of the sort. He worked at a local import game shop and it was my lunchtime, or on the way home from work hangout. It's been cool to watch him succeed and do things for the arcade/game preservation scenes.

I know he worked as an exec for a Japanese gaming company but I'm uncertain which one.

Hereafter

Dec 13, 2017
Was going to pickup ZeroRanger on the Steam Sale. Any other recently released shump on steam that's good?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Black Bird. Why aren't you people recommending Black Bird?! It's not perfect but it's so unusual and whimsical and it has a decent scoring system as I recall.

I'll second Infinos Gaiden as well. It's part of a whole series which is worth seeking out. One or two are freeware, Gaiden is on Steam, and another is available for purchase on Playism's website. Can't remember which is which but they're all worth playing.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
So my girlfriend told me she wants to get into shmups. Any game that people would recommend me to get her started on? She's a pretty casual gamer, played a lot of Mario and Mario Kart back in the day, plays smash bros from time to time now, but she's surprisingly competent at games once she gets a hang of the mechanics, like I've seen her beat Super Mario Bros with one life, but she gets frustrated if she doesn't get better at the game quickly.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
So my girlfriend told me she wants to get into shmups. Any game that people would recommend me to get her started on? She's a pretty casual gamer, played a lot of Mario and Mario Kart back in the day, plays smash bros from time to time now, but she's surprisingly competent at games once she gets a hang of the mechanics, like I've seen her beat Super Mario Bros with one life, but she gets frustrated if she doesn't get better at the game quickly.

If you want a game that lets you see improvement quickly: Dodonpachi Resurrection.

The first four stages are not hard to get through, leaving stage 5 as the big challenge. Autobombing by default makes things very forgiving, and it's cool to see when you've learned a stage and can switch to the hidden route.

Also the visuals are colorful and accessible.

cirus

Jun 22, 2018
California
If we're talking about PC games, I will always recommend Crimzon Clover before anything else. It's dirt cheap and great for beginners.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico

Any recommendations on a SHMUP for someone who sucks at them?

Lots of great shooters on sale right now cheap on steam.
DDP Resurrection
Blue Revolver
ZeroRanger
Ikaruga
Crimzon Clover

All of these are beginner friendly and among the conversation for all time great shmup.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA

Anything from Cave, really: DoDonPachi Resurrection, Deathsmiles. But Mushihimesama (Bug Princess) is my favorite to recommend to newcomers. Beautiful, straightforward scoring, challenging, but the challenge ramps up gradually. It's on sale now on Steam. Great deal.

Hereafter

Dec 13, 2017
Caladruis Blade is just a little over $3, and Raiden IV Overkill is a little over $2.

And if you're okay spending a little more, DoDonPachi Resurrection is $15 -- one of my favorite Cave shooters.

I have them both. Was looking to see if anything that's good that's been release in the last year or so. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Infinos Gaiden is pretty great as well, from what I've played.

Yeah not on sale though. :(

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I have them both. Was looking to see if anything that's good that's been release in the last year or so. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

No, no, that was my bad. Sorry. Not sure to be honest, but I'd definitely encourage you to scour Steam. There's some good deals going on right now.

As an aside, I went ahead and double-dipped on DoDonPachi Res finally. For $15, I can't complain. Probably my favorite shooter to date still.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Picked up Psyvariar Delta, Infinos Gaiden and Rival Megagun. Add them to the pile of games I don't have time for. :)

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. She's probably only interested in playing on consoles, and the only Cave game I have on console right now is Ketsui, so maybe I'll try to start with that.