• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Even the easiest setting in Devil Engine is harder than any Thunder Force game, and it's difficult in a way that isn't the slightest bit casual-friendly.

Someone was comparing it to Infinos Gaiden earlier but that game is easy-peasy, not just relative to Devil Engine but in general.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even the easiest setting in Devil Engine is harder than any Thunder Force game, and it's difficult in a way that isn't the slightest bit casual-friendly.

Someone was comparing it to Infinos Gaiden earlier but that game is easy-peasy, not just relative to Devil Engine but in general.
Yup, that was just after extremely brief impressions of both. I coincidentally spent some time playing both today and you're right, Infinos is a relative cakewalk.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Sorry, but the PS4 version is rough. Runs at about 20fps and is quite unplayable for me.

Damn, this is horrible. I'm playing on Switch, it runs at constant 30 FPS. But I was assuming to run at 60 FPS on the the most powerful consoles, not to run worse.

I don't want to think how this runs on XBox One, given that Unity games tend to perform much worse than on Switch or PS4.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got myself a copy of Shienryu for Saturn. I really, really enjoy this one.

46706260854_2e7f2646bd_k.jpg

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I finally decided to wipe one of my memory cards on Vita so I can use it for the Japanese PSN. So now I've got the first two Konami MSX Antique Collections, G-Darius, Thunder Force V, Harmful Park, and Zanac x Zanac on Vita. I've been on an MSX kick lately so I've been playing Knightmare and the MSX exclusive Nemesis 3, plus I've been playing the enhanced version of Gradius 2 (not II) on Salamander Portable. These MSX titles are seriously great games.

I really want to buy an MSX.
There is a new contender in the list of superb western shmups inspired in Japanese classics, than can stay close to 'ZeroRanger' and 'Devil Engine' in its perfect understanding of the original source material to create a modern classic.

I feel dumb for having let this to escape my radar.

The game is called 'Mars: Chaos Menace', and it's available on Switch, Steam, PS4 and Xbox One.

NSwitchDS_MarsChaosMenace_02.jpg

NSwitchDS_MarsChaosMenace_03.jpg

NSwitchDS_MarsChaosMenace_04.jpg

It's a love letter to the 3D entries of 'Raiden', specially 'Raiden IV', and to G.rev shmups.

- It has a gorgeous soundtrack, whit a 'Raiden IV' catchy mood.

- They have nailed the feeling of the shooting: it feels so close to 'Strania' that it warms my heart.

- The sound design is stellar, and they have also nailed the different sound effects for each weapon, creating a hypnotic state of trance.

- You have a button to shoot in the front, and other to shoot from your back. And this is masterfully integrated with the placement of the enemy ships to create extra scoring options. And in the crazy patterns of some bosses.

- They have nailed the 3D look and feel of the camera from the Japanese mid-2000s shmups. By using some idiosyncratic features of these games like the gigantic mechanical bosses, or accelerating the movement of the camera in the background to increase the intensity and the awesomeness.

- You can create a shield to not be damaged by the bullets with the left trigger, and you can shoot an ultra destructive laser beam with the right trigger. Both of them are infinite, but they will consume an auto-rechargeable bar. To strategize the use of the laser beam to let enough seconds to cool down the energy bar is an essential part to survive and destroy the bigger enemies. And at the same time, the shield has been integrated in some brilliant situations. Like the first boss temporally immobilizing you, so to manage the shield is an essential part to survive.

Trailers don't make justice to this game, how good is the sound design, and how pleasant and joyful is to play.

There is not a single 1CC run in Youtube.

The only long video is a shameful streaming of the game played by an inexperienced player, and with an awful quality in which it seems like the game shutters constantly. Something that is not related with the game, but with how it was recorded. And we are talking of a video in the official channel from the publisher of the game, yikes.

There is not a single review available in Steam, for god's sake.

I have been playing the Switch version.

I recommend to purchase the game in Steam over Switch, thought. While the 3D engine of the game is gorgeous and it runs at 720p in portable mode, there is too much shit happening in the screen and it's a game made in Unity. So they have decided to lock the framerate in this version to 30 FPS.

Not ideal for a shmup. But at least it's rock solid and without a single performance problem. It feels smooth and responsive, and I can live with this because from a design standpoint, this is one of the finest new shmup releases. And because I love my portable shmups.

But I can see myself double dipping in the Steam version, and reserving this only for portable play.

The game also seems to lack leadearboards, in all the versions and including Steam, so once again, yikes.

But the things that this game is trying to do are so ambitious for a small team working in a niche genre (a new full-fledged and lenghty 3D shmup nailing a Japanese feel, and expanding through 8 levels), that I can forgive these flaws.

Also, if someone is planning to purchase this on Steam, please, write a damn review of the game.

There are not so many new shmup releases with this quality.

It's sad to see such a great game completely ignored.

And by the way, here is some footage that I have recorded from the first level, playing terribly, only to showcase how damn great are the soundtrack and the sound design, and how satisfactory is the use of the laser beam.

I'm sold. Just gotta decide between Steam and Switch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Recently grabbed Omega Five and Triggerheart Exelica, because they seem like the kind of obscure game that could disappear from the marketplace without warning. First impressions on Exelica are kinda meh, but Omega Five is basically Burai Fighter HD, and I'm riding the nostalgia wave.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Recently grabbed Omega Five and Triggerheart Exelica, because they seem like the kind of obscure game that could disappear from the marketplace without warning. First impressions on Exelica are kinda meh, but Omega Five is basically Burai Fighter HD, and I'm riding the nostalgia wave.

Omega Five is very loosely based on an old NES game with the awful title of S.C.A.T., as it happens.

Hudson announced an Omega Five game for 3DS but then Konami happened.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
If I remember correctly, the Omega Five devs are the same people that made Wild Guns and a Ninja Warriors Again. I like their games.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's the case with v . v but 6 or 7 years ago I bought 2 copies of grindstormer and returned them because they didn't work.

After doing some research I just gave up on owning the game altogether since apparently theres a buttload of defective copies out there due to a 1st print run(?) manufacturing issue

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I am overdue for playing V-V but I was never sure whether I should start with the arcade version or the MD version since the former has better performance apparently but the MD version also comes with the Grind Stormer mode.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Not to rain on your parade, but how sure are you these aren't counterfeits? Expensive shmups tend to get bootlegged often and they never include manuals.

They are legit, Master even has a Taito specific box. Both show quite a lot of use and have all the proper labels. Ebay is a minefield of fakes though now and have to be very careful with buying :/

These two, Musha Aleste and Verytex are my most expensive ones and all legit luckily. Still need to find Undead Line for a reasonable price someday...

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
If I remember correctly, the Omega Five devs are the same people that made Wild Guns and a Ninja Warriors Again. I like their games.

Yeah, same guys.

Omega Five's not a great game, honestly--it's very short and clearly wasn't balanced for score, I wouldn't be shocked if it was rushed out the door--but if they made a sequel I'd give it a shot.

I am overdue for playing V-V but I was never sure whether I should start with the arcade version or the MD version since the former has better performance apparently but the MD version also comes with the Grind Stormer mode.

I'd say stick to the arcade versions, the MD port isn't awful but by that point Toaplan had pretty much eclipsed what the MD could reasonably handle.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah, same guys.

Omega Five's not a great game, honestly--it's very short and clearly wasn't balanced for score, I wouldn't be shocked if it was rushed out the door--but if they made a sequel I'd give it a shot.

I'd say stick to the arcade versions, the MD port isn't awful but by that point Toaplan had pretty much eclipsed what the MD could reasonably handle.
Good to know, thanks. Really hoping we get a Toaplan collection at some point, though I know how unlikely that is. And a Compile collection. And for Konami to continue their new collection line with some collections of their obscure shmups.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Toaplan's not completely out of the question, one of the old devs recently started up a company to manage the old IP and he has pretty much the entire catalog under his control.

Compile's less likely, as those games are split between lots of different owners and not all of them are accounted for. I'm not even sure M2 could put out a complete Aleste collection.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know, thanks. Really hoping we get a Toaplan collection at some point, though I know how unlikely that is. And a Compile collection. And for Konami to continue their new collection line with some collections of their obscure shmups.

was hoping they would have made a proper Gradius collection now while they are doing the Contra and Castlevania ones. But atleast we get something :P

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's the case with v . v but 6 or 7 years ago I bought 2 copies of grindstormer and returned them because they didn't work.

After doing some research I just gave up on owning the game altogether since apparently theres a buttload of defective copies out there due to a 1st print run(?) manufacturing issue
Supposedly the problem with Grind Stormer is the boards, not the roms -- if you take the rom chips off of those bad boards and install them into working compatible boards instead, the game should boot up... Tengen used defective boards for some of their games, apparently.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Anyone have thoughts on Gaia Seed, Shienryu, or Aldynes? I always see these when I browse the PSN but don't really know anything about them.

Also I swear Sylphia was on PSN, but I guess not?

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Shienryu's a pretty decent game, it kinda splits the difference between Raiden and Truxton/Tatsujin. The PS port adds all manner of wacky optional crap including a sitcom laugh track, from memory, but the PS2 port's more or less vanilla.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I've played a lot of BYTEPATH, ended up 100%ing and can highly recommend it.

Its party piece is a big modifier tool kit and this game is for people who enjoy creating game breaking situations. The mayhem one can build is marvelous. Players prone to epilepsy triggers should steer clear though, some of the visuals fx escalate as much as the action.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
PLEASE let this be real and not just an elaborate April Fool's Day joke:
https://rtypefinal2.com

According to the shmup forums Irem used to make pretty elaborate jokes but they were usually identifiable as jokes, whereas this seems pretty straight faced.
Shienryu's a pretty decent game, it kinda splits the difference between Raiden and Truxton/Tatsujin. The PS port adds all manner of wacky optional crap including a sitcom laugh track, from memory, but the PS2 port's more or less vanilla.
I loved Shienryu on Saturn back in the day.
Good to know. Guess I will check it out at some point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
PLEASE let this be real and not just an elaborate joke:
https://rtypefinal2.com

According to the shmup forums Irem used to make pretty elaborate jokes but they were usually identifiable as jokes, whereas this seems pretty straight faced.
whaaaaaaaat

Day 1 if true. Give us the original as well.

wait if this is an April Fool's joke, I'm going to be less than happy.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Why did no one tell me that the original Zanac was such a good game? The game is rich with weapon variety and secrets to learn and exploit, plus a rank system (that's justified by the plot to boot). It's brilliant.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
So are people playing the Dragalia Lost April Fools thing or

(I don't actually play Dragalia Lost but literally everyone is pinging me about it today)

(I also initially named the wrong mobile game because I can't tell them apart)

Last edited:

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have thoughts on Gaia Seed, Shienryu, or Aldynes? I always see these when I browse the PSN but don't really know anything about them.

Also I swear Sylphia was on PSN, but I guess not?

I played Gaia Seed on PSN a bit and didn't come away impressed, I know it's rare and $$$ but it felt kinda slow and simplistic, but take my input with a grain of salt.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

I love Shienryu, actually just posted a pic a page or two back I think of finally getting the Saturn version. My friend and I have been playing the hell of it lately. One thing to note the PS1 version is 480i only and no tate mode. (not sure on the PS2 version) Saturn version is 480i in regular mode, but then 240p in tate. Its a lot of fun though, as was said it is kind of like a middle ground between Raiden and Truxton. Though I do feel like its closer to Raiden than Truxton, but I've put way more time into Raiden than Truxton. Freaking great shooter though IMHO anyway.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone compiled a list of JPN shooters available on PSN that aren't on the US or EU markets?

Oct 25, 2017
Bleh, was hoping to play my Saturn shmups via RetroArch for the nice crt shaders and such but it turns out every Saturn emulation core is suuuuuuuuuper input laggy. Incredibly sad considering how amazing PSX emulation is, but I guess that's par for the course with Saturn's legacy in general :(

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
R-Type Final 2 seems totally legit. The company making it has Kazuma Kujo as the creative head. He's the producer/designer for the original R-Type Final among other things. They also confirmed it in Japanese on Twitter I believe.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Out of curiosity: does anyone here play a lot of shmups on both Switch and PC? Recently, I've been trying my hand at Ikaruga and Danmaku Unlimited 3 again and one of the things I've wanted most is more precise control using my Switch Pro controller. Sometimes I feel like the controls are too sensitive and it's too easy to go flying into a bullet. Are controls generally thought to be better on a PC for shmups? Am I just bad at shmups? Or are the controls for some of these games sometimes just a little too loose?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm so glad R-Type Final2 is seemingly legit!

one of my favorite, also try zanac x zanac for psx.
That's what I've been playing actually on my Vita. But I've been playing the Famicom version before I try Neo. I read through a guide on Zanac and I was blown away by the depth of the game. People shouldn't discount 8-bit shmups. Stuff like this and Recca are among the best the genre has to offer IMO.
I played Gaia Seed on PSN a bit and didn't come away impressed, I know it's rare and $$$ but it felt kinda slow and simplistic, but take my input with a grain of salt.
Good to know. I'll make it a lower priority.
I love Shienryu, actually just posted a pic a page or two back I think of finally getting the Saturn version. My friend and I have been playing the hell of it lately. One thing to note the PS1 version is 480i only and no tate mode. (not sure on the PS2 version) Saturn version is 480i in regular mode, but then 240p in tate. Its a lot of fun though, as was said it is kind of like a middle ground between Raiden and Truxton. Though I do feel like its closer to Raiden than Truxton, but I've put way more time into Raiden than Truxton. Freaking great shooter though IMHO anyway.
Thanks! I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about Shienryu. I like the idea of all the goofy options in the PS1 version but it sounds like the PS2 version comes with the sequel.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So, any new worthwhile updates on shmups available for Switch? Particularly vertical ones that make use of tate. Emphasis on the "worthwhile".