• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Let's keep this PC Engine streak going:

Recently got Summer Carnival Nexzr Special and I'm wondering what the exact differences are between the original Nexzr and this version, apart from the addition of the caravan modes.

If it's pretty much the exact same game, then I just saved $100 on buying the Summer Carnival version, so I'm suspicious something's wrong with it...

Also, I'm not entirely enjoying Nexzr as much as I thought I would.
Far more memorization than I expected it would need, as my idea was that it was essentially a different take on Final Soldier and the like.

Definitely glad I didn't pay $200 for it.
Nexzr is incredible, it's one of my favorite shmups of the generation! It's definitely in my top 5 for the Turbo/PCE, which puts it high on an overall list since I do think that console is the overall best ever for shmups. It's a fantastic classic shmup with some of the best graphics, music, and gameplay around. It's hard, but with practice, thanks to its infinite continues it's definitely beatable. It's a bit like Image Fight, which is a fantastic game...

As for what separates the original version from the Summer Carnival version other than a whole bunch of money, though: the Summer Carnival version removes all of the cutscenes from the game, but adds the carnival mode with its new exclusive stage. Additionally, the new cover is just plain white, instead of a nice shot of the ship and such, so many people will surely prefer the original cover. The only other change I know of is that Naxat Soft added saving to the game, but unfortunately ONLY for carnival mode -- the game will save your best scores in carnival mode to a save file on the console, but will not save your high scores for the main game. Additionally, if you beat Nexzr you unlock a level select in the options menu... but since it doesn't save anything, it's not too useful. Unfortunately I believe that the Summer Carnival version works the same in that regard; the save file is, again, only for the new, carnival mode part of the game.

I bought the Summer Carnival version of the game for two reasons: it's a lot cheaper, first, and I don't like the story so having a version without the two cutscenes of the original game actually is kind of a positive. Watch the cutscenes on Youtube if you want, though; they do have good music, so that I miss from the Special version... oh well. The two cutscenes are one that goes at the beginning before the first level, and one before the last level (final boss). The ending, which is pretty much just a credits sequence, is left intact, if I recall correctly, since there never was plot there.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the Korean physical release of Garegga supports any other languages? Doesn't look like Limited Run is going to come through on that one.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing PC-Engine / TurboGrafx-16 stuff always stings. It never made it to Europe and I was too poor to import at that point in time. Import reviews in gaming magazines made me so fucking jelly.

I sold my Amstrad CPC128 to fund mine (bought it from PC Engine Services) loved my CPC, but loved the PC Engine so much more.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Love Gate of Thunder.

nzoB3xh.jpg

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it mentioned elsewhere but of course I can't find it now. That said I think the issues is that the Switch has a really low polling rate for its USB port, hence why wired on the system has more input lag than wireless. Hopefully that is something that they can address with a firmware update.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Quick question: how many of you are Xbox One X owners?

I keep seeing lots of Xbox 360 shooters on Shmup lists and I'm wondering if I shouldn't get an Xbox One X (or S?) in order to get cheap used copies of a lot of these games and expand what is available to me. In combination with Game Pass, it seems almost too good to be true (I could finally play a lot of games I'd never get to try because my PC is otherwise under-powered).

Is the Xbox a good home or someone that wants to expand their shmup collection? Would it be worth investing in the system for that alone?

Note: I already own a Switch and have a PC that could probably run most shooters on Steam. I also do not own a 4K television. That could change one day, but for now I'm 1080p only.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
XB1 has a reasonable selection of backwards-compatible games but a lot of the Japan-only, retail-only X360 games are not and probably never will be backwards-compatible, and there are basically no XB1-exclusive shmups to speak of. The library isn't awful but I definitely wouldn't recommend an XB1 primarily for shmups.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Note: I already own a Switch and have a PC that could probably run most shooters on Steam. I also do not own a 4K television. That could change one day, but for now I'm 1080p only.
Many of the 360 SHMUPs made it to Steam. They're on sale pretty often. Not to mention all the excellent PC only releases like Crimzon Clover, Zer0ranger, Blue Revolver, etc. Switch became home of many more recent releases. I'd say you already got a LOT of ground covered and waiting to be explored.

Oct 27, 2017
Many of the 360 SHMUPs made it to Steam. They're on sale pretty often. Not to mention all the excellent PC only releases like Crimzon Clover, Zer0ranger, Blue Revolver, etc. Switch became home of many more recent releases. I'd say you already got a LOT of ground covered and waiting to be explored.
there's some awesome 360 ones though (mostly cave) that still give me a huge amount of mileage
raiden fighters aces, akai katana, muchi muchi pork/pink sweets (my goat pick for shmup release), radirgy noa massive, espgaluda II, mushihimesama futari, dodonpachi saidaioujou, guwange, radiant silvergun

locked: ginga force, dodonpachi daioujou blex, deathsmiles IIX

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Ah I didn't realize the backwards compatibility wasn't universal. That's a little disappointing. Game Pass combined with a lot of cheaper old games would rule, but if I have to pick and choose the older stuff, that may not be worth it. Especially if I can get a bunch of stuff on Steam anyway.

Thanks for the replies!

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I love my Xbox One S, but if you only want it for shmups, you're probably better off getting a super cheap 360 and a PS4 (because M2 has slowed way down on localizing Shottriggers).

There's no telling how long it'll take to get the rest of the 360's shmups as backwards compatible.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Caladrius Blaze coming to Switch, asian-english physical sku as well.
Play-Asia jumped the gun with the announcement and now has deleted the listing and blog post but you can still find the link and the text blurb when googling it.

Caladrius Blaze coming to Switch, asian-english physical sku as well.
Play-Asia jumped the gun with the announcement and now has deleted the listing and blog post but you can still find the link and the text blurb when googling it.

Never played it before, but it looks cool, I'll definitely pick it up.
Here's to hoping Raiden IV also makes it way on over.

Any recent news of when Raiden V is arriving on Switch?

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any Raiden was actually announced for the Switch, it was just like some random listing online that had nothing backing it.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I finally played the Cotton DLC for Trouble Witches Origin, another dizzy comedy skit. She fits right in. They want 6 coins for the DLC, witch (pun intended) is a bit much. You should definitely poke the pumpkin sisters till they give a discount. Man, such a fun SHMUP.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Are any of those weird and cheap shmups on the Japanese 3DS eShop worth playing? There's a lot here but very little information about them online. My gut says they're not great but who knows, maybe there are some hidden gems in here?

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
There is a new Japanese shmup release for Switch and Xbox One that seems to have been completely ignored in STG communities.

Its name is 'Alien Cruise', and it's one of the weirdest shmups ever made.

009.jpg

The game is a love letter to the 'Gradius' and 'Parodius' series, being a horizontal shmup in which the obstacles in the scenario are a significant part of the level design, following a tradition of memorization shmups from the mid 80s and early 90s.

It remembers me A LOT to 'Cambria Sword' in its WILD spirit: it's a flawed game, far from being a classic, with some disappointing things like the sound design (probably, the worst sound design that I have ever found in a Japanese shmup).

But oh man, like 'Cambria Sword', this game is one of the most insane accumulations of crazy and weird ideas, with every segment of the game blowing your head with its level of madness.

A showcase of fucking gigantic enemies after fucking gigantic enemies, with a level of surrealness on par with 'PuLiRuLa'. And tons of homages to Konami classics like the volcanoes from 'Darius', and constant changes in the gameplay mechanics with every crazy idea from a brain consumed by psychedelic drugs thrown into the mix.

019.jpg

With a distinctive comic look, making of this one of the most creative artistic designs that I have found in a shooting game.

It really remembers me to some of the most obscure titles released for the PC Engine, with echoes of 'Cho Aniki', 'Hana Taaka Daka!?', 'L-Dis', 'God Panic'... YEAH, that level of madness.

The weapon system sucks, with TOO many weapons, every one intended to play a different segment... I think that a system with less weapons, but upgrading these through the accumulation of power-ups, should have worked much better.

And because the sub-par sound design, the feeling of destroying things which is a seminal part of the shmup experience, it's not very accomplished.

But the game is so damn creative and weird, and so varied and surprising with each level feeling completely different in a 'Genetos' way, that at the end of the day you will forgive its flaws, playing this with a smile of pure happiness on your face.

And it's one of the rare contemporary shumps with a two players local co-op mode.

I think that 1upsuper will enjoy this A LOT.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Are any of those weird and cheap shmups on the Japanese 3DS eShop worth playing? There's a lot here but very little information about them online. My gut says they're not great but who knows, maybe there are some hidden gems in here?

You mean the Milestone games, Karous and Radirgy and so on? Nah, they're trash.

There is a new Japanese shmup release for Switch and Xbox One that seems to have been completely ignored in STG communities.

Alien Cruise isn't Japanese, it was developed by an indie studio out of Shanghai called CottonGame. They have a few other games, mostly on id@Xbox.

Last edited:

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

Alien Cruise isn't Japanese, it was developed by an indie studio out of Shanghai called CottonGame. They have a few other games, mostly on id@Xbox.

Do you have a link to their website?

I have been trying to find more information about the team without success.

What are their other games available on Xbox One?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Its name is 'Alien Cruise', and it's one of the weirdest shmups ever made.

009.jpg

The game is a love letter to the 'Gradius' and 'Parodius' series, being a horizontal shmup in which the obstacles in the scenario are a significant part of the level design, following a tradition of memorization shmups from the mid 80s and early 90s.

It remembers me A LOT to 'Cambria Sword' in its WILD spirit: it's a flawed game, far from being a classic, with some disappointing things like the sound design (probably, the worst sound design that I have ever found in a Japanese shmup).

But oh man, like 'Cambria Sword', this game is one of the most insane accumulations of crazy and weird ideas, with every segment of the game blowing your head with its level of madness.

A showcase of fucking gigantic enemies after fucking gigantic enemies, with a level of surrealness on par with 'PuLiRuLa'. And tons of homages to Konami classics like the volcanoes from 'Darius', and constant changes in the gameplay mechanics with every crazy idea from a brain consumed by psychedelic drugs thrown into the mix.

019.jpg

With a distinctive comic look, making of this one of the most creative artistic designs that I have found in a shooting game.

It really remembers me to some of the most obscure titles released for the PC Engine, with echoes of 'Cho Aniki', 'Hana Taaka Daka!?', 'L-Dis', 'God Panic'... YEAH, that level of madness.

The weapon system sucks, with TOO many weapons, every one intended to play a different segment... I think that a system with less weapons, but upgrading these through the accumulation of power-ups, should have worked much better.

And because the sub-par sound design, the feeling of destroying things which is a seminal part of the shmup experience, it's not very accomplished.

But the game is so damn creative and weird, and so varied and surprising with each level feeling completely different in a 'Genetos' way, that at the end of the day you will forgive its flaws, playing this with a smile of pure happiness on your face.

And it's one of the rare contemporary shumps with a two players local co-op mode.

I think that 1upsuper will enjoy this A LOT.

Thank you for this! I saw the game when it came out and then completely forgot about it, probably in a deluge of other games. It definitely looks up my alley. Like I say, I'd rather play something weird and flawed than something just decent. Seems like a game I should play through with a friend.

Not quite, I know about the Milestone games. This stuff is weirder and cheaper. Stuff like G.G Series: Assault Buster and the other G.G Series games, Aa Mujou Setsuna, Are? DS ga Sakasa desukedo. Gyaku Shooting, Gurotto! Saber, and Sagittarius Ee Star (I'm particularly interested in this one). Some of those names are probably off given my poor Japanese.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, Radirgy is great.

Real Radirgy is fine, those 3DS Milestone games are terrible--they're basically minigames using the graphics from the originals, and not only are they no fun but they run like shit to boot.

Do you have a link to their website?

I have been trying to find more information about the team without success.

What are their other games available on Xbox One?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/little-triangle/9pb67kjhl7pk?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mr-pumpkin-adventure/br68tkrkbwsx?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Not quite, I know about the Milestone games. This stuff is weirder and cheaper. Stuff like G.G Series: Assault Buster and the other G.G Series games, Aa Mujou Setsuna, Are? DS ga Sakasa desukedo. Gyaku Shooting, Gurotto! Saber, and Sagittarius Ee Star (I'm particularly interested in this one). Some of those names are probably off given my poor Japanese.

Ah, fair enough.

I don't remember any of the G.G. Series shmups well enough to recommend them... the publisher put out a retail DS collection that has all of them, so start there I guess. Most of those games are very slight.

Aa Mujou Setsuna came out overseas as Metal Torrent, in case you didn't know. It's a two-stage danmaku caravan game by Arika and it's fun for what it is but there's just not enough to do, and the leaderboards no longer work. Nintendo's given this one away via My Nintendo a few times, come to think of it.

Sagittarius A-Star is pretty fun in that Treasure/Irem sort of way where the game is very heavily designed around the ship's gimmick, it's not super tough but it's well designed and worth a look if you're into those super-rigid types of games. (I actually tried to publish this one overseas but the dev ghosted on me, still sore about that.)

Gyaku Shooting is the Tecmo game that plays upside-down, right? It's a novelty, nothing more.

I recall nothing about Gurotto! Saber.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Real Radirgy is fine, those 3DS Milestone games are terrible--they're basically minigames using the graphics from the originals, and not only are they no fun but they run like shit to boot.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/little-triangle/9pb67kjhl7pk?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mr-pumpkin-adventure/br68tkrkbwsx?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Ah, fair enough.

I don't remember any of the G.G. Series shmups well enough to recommend them... the publisher put out a retail DS collection that has all of them, so start there I guess. Most of those games are very slight.

Aa Mujou Setsuna came out overseas as Metal Torrent, in case you didn't know. It's a two-stage danmaku caravan game by Arika and it's fun for what it is but there's just not enough to do, and the leaderboards no longer work. Nintendo's given this one away via My Nintendo a few times, come to think of it.

Sagittarius A-Star is pretty fun in that Treasure/Irem sort of way where the game is very heavily designed around the ship's gimmick, it's not super tough but it's well designed and worth a look if you're into those super-rigid types of games. (I actually tried to publish this one overseas but the dev ghosted on me, still sore about that.)

Gyaku Shooting is the Tecmo game that plays upside-down, right? It's a novelty, nothing more.

I recall nothing about Gurotto! Saber.
Awesome, thanks! I didn't expect that anyone would actually be familiar with all of them. Sagittarius A-Star sounds up my alley. I'm not really into danmaku so I'll pass on Metal Torrent.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
That's exciting but I wonder who is porting it.

Everything they've done has had input lag issues, right?

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes. I wonder if there's any chance we get Mars Matrix as well. I guess I'd rather get a port of the DC game for that though.

Would love to see Varth, 19XX and Eco Fighters as well.

Last edited:

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Worst timeline possible to have 'Giga Wing', one of the best vertical shooters with a horizontal orientation (and one of my favorite shmup flavors), locked into a costly plastic toy.

Come'on Capcom, give me a damn digital Switch version that I can play on the go, without filling my house with more plastic junk.

Between this and the 'Darius Cozmic Collection' nonsense, it seems like Japanese companies are targeting only an elitist market with their shmups legacy catalogue, instead of trying to make the games accessible for a new generation of players.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Worst timeline possible to have 'Giga Wing', one of the best vertical shooters with a horizontal orientation (and one of my favorite shmup flavors), locked into a costly plastic toy.

Come'on Capcom, give me a damn digital Switch version that I can play on the go, without filling my house with more plastic junk.

Between this and the 'Darius Cozmic Collection' nonsense, it seems like Japanese companies are targeting only an elitist market with their shmups legacy catalogue, instead of trying to make the games accessible for a new generation of players.
There's a DC version at least.

Oct 27, 2017
yeah giga wing is a fantastic game, but at least it already got a proper home port with the dreamcast version.

but locking the first ever home ports of avp and progear into a mini cab? cool..
at a bare minimum I'd at least like to use my hrap vx-sa or my custom wooden stick (not some shitty built-in controls) and be able to post scores on leaderboards.

hopefully that nintendolife post is wrong.