• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
So that Capcom Arcade stick thing is a bust, but I like to think there's still a good chance for a Capcom Shmup collection. They put a few titles from the Beat Em Up collection on there, so they should be able to pull games off for other bundles, too.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
For the uninitiated, what's so special about Gleylancer to command $400?
It's rare, but it's also excellent. One of my favorite shmups on the system for sure. The presentation is great too, and it's a fairly ambitious game with a really long opening cutscene.
So that Capcom Arcade stick thing is a bust, but I like to think there's still a good chance for a Capcom Shmup collection. They put a few titles from the Beat Em Up collection on there, so they should be able to pull games off for other bundles, too.
That's what I'm hoping as well. Seems plausible.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those crazy people who still prefers Thunder Force 3 to 4, but both are great.

I also concede it's 100% possible my nostalgia for 3 makes me extremely biased.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
TFIII and TFV are the more popular ones, in my experience. TFIV has its fans but it's way harder than those two so a lot of people bounce off it.

Speaking of which, Thunder Force III is going to be on the Genesis Mini, as is Super Fantasy Zone. Additionally, the Japanese Mega Drive Mini's getting MUSHA.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
M.U.S.H.A. is the crown jewel of my boxed collection. I got it for a song.

Also:

I'm weak.
Can I ask what your fascination with the Shikigami series is? My only experience with the series was the localization embarrassment that was Mobile Light Force 2. I feel like the series has its diehard fans but otherwise I don't hear a ton about it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Did anyone ever get Anger Force: Reloaded? It looks pretty good. The devs are apparently Psikyo fans.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Did anyone ever get Anger Force: Reloaded? It looks pretty good. The devs are apparently Psikyo fans.

I picked 'AngerForce: Reloaded', and I cant't recommend.

It's super mediocre in every single aspect.

While the artistic design is super colorful, at the same time it transmits on the screen a vectorized/flash feel, and you will constantly ask you why the hell they didn't use a traditional pixel art style instead.

The music is not bad, but it's not memorable: not a single melody or single isolated musical fragment will remain in your memory.

The game is apparently made by a Chinese studio, and at the end it suffers a problem that I have found with a lot of Chinese shmups. Of trying to imitate a Japanese style, but something feels off. For example, the mechanized designs of the enemies, which are super generic.

I don't know if you can unlock extra game modes, but by default it only includes a difficulty mode in its Arcade mode, and it's super easy peasy in the four first levels. Most of the time there are not bullets on the screen, when the enemies shoot the quantity of bullets will be ridiculous low and sometimes, in these first levels, the only way of losing a life is to intentionally die.

The bullet patterns are super uninspired. With which I like to call a "western syndrome" (something that I have only found in non Japanese shmups trying to imitate Japanese shmup conventions), of the bullets tending to line up on the screen by describing simple ordered straight lines.

It's a shmup in which you use six fucking buttons, but at the end, there is not a single mechanic that contributes to create a compelling scoring system.

Something in the physics of the ship and the movement feels off, transmitting a weird flash feel that remembers me to 'Danmaku Unlimited 2', which is not a good sing.

And I can extend until the infinite...

Don't get my wrong. It's not a terrible shmup. But it's only an okay, uninspired and generic shmup.

That looks like it will be one thousand times better by looking at the screenshots.

But hey, it has Japanese anime artworks and Cave-type-medals on the screen. And this will make that the game gains more attraction in shmup communities than any of the ignored and actually well designed shmups coming from a western tradition.

Last edited:

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So just been playing the Darius collection on the Switch, is the first game a hard game?....took me about 30 minutes to get off the first level on 1 credit!!

The rapidness of the shots just dont seem to be consistent/fast enough and has the age old Gradius effect where you lose all power ups on death so then theres not much point carrying on. Why did developers ever think that was a good way to go fair enough if you want to punish the player for dying at least only make them lose a portion of their power ups not everything!!

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Raiden V for Switch confirmed for June 2019 release, will include soundtrack CD:

https:///raiden-v-directors-cut-hits-nintendo-switch-in-june-2019-includes-soundtrack-cd/

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck Giga Wing Generations got expensive. Should have snapped that up a long time ago.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
If anyone was wondering, it doesn't look like Sorcer Striker or Ketsui are going to be on sale for PSN Japan Golden Week.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Japan's getting their own Psikyo collections for Switch--these ones have six games each instead of four: https://psikyo-portal.com/shootinglibrary.html

Volume 1: Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945-II, Strikers 1999, Sol Divide, Dragon Blaze, Zero Gunner 2-
Volume 2: Gunbird, Gunbird 2, Gunbarich, Sengoku Ace, Sengoku Blade, Sengoku Cannon

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Japan's getting their own Psikyo collections for Switch--these ones have six games each instead of four: https://psikyo-portal.com/shootinglibrary.html

Volume 1: Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945-II, Strikers 1999, Sol Divide, Dragon Blaze, Zero Gunner 2-
Volume 2: Gunbird, Gunbird 2, Gunbarich, Sengoku Ace, Sengoku Blade, Sengoku Cannon
They split up the good games more evenly this time. Vol. 3 of the other Psikyo collection has a pretty rough lineup.
Probably why that one got a special edition with a Koyomi "mousepad".

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017

Nice, those are way better than the scattered lineups on the other volumes.

I wish they would hurry up and release Strikers 1999 on the eShop already though, wonder why it's taking so long with that one. I already have digital copies of Strikers 1 and II so would be nice to complete the set but I'll buy one of those volumes if I have to.

Oct 27, 2017
tbh strikers 1999 is one of my favorites of the bunch and only of the only psikyo pcbs I've owned (and subsequently miss), so I'd be in for that and the package of other solid picks.

I need to eventually get a switch arcade stick if I really want to enjoy these titles though... :/

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Nice, those are way better than the scattered lineups on the other volumes.

I wish they would hurry up and release Strikers 1999 on the eShop already though, wonder why it's taking so long with that one. I already have digital copies of Strikers 1 and II so would be nice to complete the set but I'll buy one of those volumes if I have to.

It's still coming as a standalone--August 29, same day as the second collection.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Just received my games!

Both Zanac X Zanac and Dodonpachi discs are mint. Really happy about it :)

UDx16r0.jpg

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
It's still coming as a standalone--August 29, same day as the second collection.

Thanks, I just noticed that on the GoNintendo tweet too. That's still a crazy long wait from when 1999 was first announced as coming to Switch way back in late Sept.

Just received my games!

Both Zanac X Zanac and Dodonpachi discs are mint. Really happy about it :)

UDx16r0.jpg

Congrats, fellow Xanac x Xanac physical owner, that is a great game. Other pick ups are ace too.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Oh shit. Anyone know if there's much difference between first and later gen Cave boards? Is it like Neo•Geo where they're all basically the same?

In this link, you have the complete list of games for each Cave board iteration, including those developed by third parties:

CAVE 68000:

• Air Gallet
  • Dangun Feveron / Fever S.O.S.
  • Do Donpachi
  • Do Donpachi Campaign Version
  • Donpachi
  • ESP Ra. De.
  • Gaia Crusaders
  • Guwange
  • Hotdog Storm
  • Koro Koro Quest
  • Mazinger Z
  • Power Instinct 2 / Gouketuji Ichizoku 2
  • Power Instinct Legends / Gouketuji Gaiden Saikyou Densetsu
  • Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
  • The Ninja Master / Metamoqester
  • Thunder Heroes
  • Uo Poko

CAVE CV1000B:

• Deathsmiles
  • Espgaluda II
  • Ibara
  • Ibara Kuro Black Label
  • Medal Mahjong Moukari Bancho
  • Muchi Muchi Pork!
  • Mushihime-Sama
  • Mushihime-Sama Futari
  • Mushihime-Sama Futari Black Label
  • Mushihime-Sama Futari Ver 1.5
  • Mushihime-Sama Ver 1.5 Matsuri Version
  • Pink Sweets: Ibara Sorekara
  • Puzzle! Mushihime-Tama

CAVE CV1000D:

• Akai Katana
  • Deathsmiles Mega Black Label
  • Do-Don-Pachi Dai-Fukkatsu
  • Do-Don-Pachi Dai-Fukkatsu Black label
  • Do-Don-Pachi Dai-Fukkatsu Ver 1.5
  • Do-Don-Pachi Saidaioujou

CAVE PC HARDWARE:

• Deathsmiles II

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
In this link, you have the complete list of games for each Cave board iteration, including those developed by third parties:

CAVE 68000:

• Air Gallet
  • Do Donpachi
  • Donpachi
  • ESP Ra. De.
  • Gaia Crusaders
  • Guwange
  • Hotdog Storm
  • Koro Koro Quest
  • Mazinger Z
  • Thunder Heroes
  • Uo Poko

CAVE CV1000B:

• Deathsmiles
  • Espgaluda II
  • Ibara
  • Ibara Kuro Black Label
  • Muchi Muchi Pork!
  • Mushihime-Sama
  • Mushihime-Sama Futari
  • Puzzle! Mushihime-Tama

CAVE CV1000D:

• Akai Katana

CAVE PC HARDWARE:

• Deathsmiles II

Off the top of my head, don't forget the PGM board games, as well as the home edition of Akai Katana.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

CAVE 68000:

• Air Gallet
  • Do Donpachi
  • Donpachi
  • ESP Ra. De.
  • Gaia Crusaders
  • Guwange
  • Hotdog Storm
  • Koro Koro Quest
  • Mazinger Z
  • Thunder Heroes
  • Uo Poko

CAVE CV1000B:

• Deathsmiles
  • Espgaluda II
  • Ibara
  • Ibara Kuro Black Label
  • Muchi Muchi Pork!
  • Mushihime-Sama
  • Mushihime-Sama Futari
  • Puzzle! Mushihime-Tama

CAVE CV1000D:

• Akai Katana

CAVE PC HARDWARE:

• Deathsmiles II
Nothing there post-68000 looks like it'd be possible on the MISTer :/

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
tbh strikers 1999 is one of my favorites of the bunch and only of the only psikyo pcbs I've owned (and subsequently miss), so I'd be in for that and the package of other solid picks.

I need to eventually get a switch arcade stick if I really want to enjoy these titles though... :/

Magic NS my friend.
Use your PS/Xbox/etc sticks on Switch, it works even in table top mode for that sweet mini-TATE experience :D

Research and thank me later :P

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Magic NS my friend.
Use your PS/Xbox/etc sticks on Switch, it works even in table top mode for that sweet mini-TATE experience :D

For tabletop mode, are you using one of those stands with USB ports? I do almost all my Switch playing in tabletop mode so those stands interest me, but I thought I heard some scary stories about them damaging your system.

Oct 27, 2017
Magic NS my friend.

Will do my reaearch! ;)

Only thing I'm nervous about is noticeable input lag. I have the 360 > ps4 brooks adapter and it was a definite adjustment to the point where I just caved in and bought a stick

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Will do my reaearch! ;)

Only thing I'm nervous about is noticeable input lag. I have the 360 > ps4 brooks adapter and it was a definite adjustment to the point where I just caved in and bought a stick

There's no noticeable input lag in my experience compared with Brooks and ChronusMax which I both sent back because I was experiencing enough lag to notice or fuck up combos in SSF2 HF while to me using the Magic NS feels exactly the same as using a native Pokken WiiU/Switch wired controller. There's people here using the same setup and afaik we're on the same page.
Still if you have the means grab it on Amazon so you can send it back easily just in case.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
For tabletop mode, are you using one of those stands with USB ports? I do almost all my Switch playing in tabletop mode so those stands interest me, but I thought I heard some scary stories about them damaging your system.

No I use a standard Hori stand and just pass a USB>USBc adapter thru the stand's cables passthru

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, don't know if this is a good version but Fanatical has a Steam Dotemu bundle with Raiden Legacy in it for $1.99.

Bundle

Edit: Reviews not great but it's $2.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It's horrendous. Truly disappointing given how great the Raiden Fighters series is. Best to avoid Dotemu as a rule.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Btw, lots of shmups on sale on Steam, made a thread about it (and more) here.
Crimzon Clover at 2€, Ikaruga at 5€, Cave shooters at -50/60%, Astebreed at 8€, Graze Counter at 5€, etc

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I can never decide if DBCS DLC would be worth my time. Maybe if you could use the ships in CS mode... but getting special ships that you can only use in their specific stages seems pointless.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, lots of shmups on sale on Steam, made a thread about it (and more) here.
Crimzon Clover at 2€, Ikaruga at 5€, Cave shooters at -50/60%, Astebreed at 8€, Graze Counter at 5€, etc
Thanks, steam sale page is a bit of a nightmare since they don't have a shmups section. Anything else I should look out for?