• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure all LRG had to do was slap their label on the box and call it a day.
(They sure as hell didn't change the manual or localization.)

Ugh, I'm probably not even going to get the standalone physical disc then. I like having the game on my PS4 menu at all times anyways and am also thinking about getting a Saturn copy of the game (used to own it on Saturn years ago but sold it).

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I'm probably not even going to get the standalone physical disc then. I like having the game on my PS4 menu at all times anyways and am also thinking about getting a Saturn copy of the game (used to own it on Saturn years ago but sold it).

This whole exchange has confused me. Is the assertion that LRG will leave the Korean text in the Battle Garegga release? I'm sure that isn't the case.. there's an English digital version of the game that is most certainly being released on disk.

I think the discussion between Caladrius Blaze and Battle Garegga is being mixed up.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
This whole exchange has confused me. Is the assertion that LRG will leave the Korean text in the Battle Garegga release? I'm sure that isn't the case.. there's an English digital version of the game that is most certainly being released on disk.

I think the discussion between Caladrius Blaze and Battle Garegga is being mixed up.

Yeah, I wasn't asking about Caladrius Blaze. Thanks for clarifying, forgot Garegga had English PSN release.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
You should probably vote in the English R-Type poll rather than the Japanese one, so it doesn't skew the results for either region:

https://twitter.com/rtypefinal2_gz/status/1125392230082965504

Did the Korean disc version have English menu options for the settings screens?

Are you talking about Caladrius or Garegga?

Caladrius has a full, poorly-written translation, KR Garegga's has more English than the JP version but it's not a full translation.

Garegga already has a full English translation and I'm sure that'll end up on the LRG disc, sorry if the Caladrius mention confused matters.

My point was that LRG doesn't touch the games themselves, they take whatever the dev gives them and slap it on a disc--sometimes the devs go the extra mile to update the build with all the patches or touch up the text or whatever, sometimes they hand it over as-is, and LRG doesn't care either way.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the first time the Garegga soundtrack has been on vinyl?

You should probably vote in the English R-Type poll rather than the Japanese one, so it doesn't skew the results for either region:

https://twitter.com/rtypefinal2_gz/status/1125392230082965504

Are you talking about Caladrius or Garegga?

Caladrius has a full, poorly-written translation, KR Garegga's has more English than the JP version but it's not a full translation.

Garegga already has a full English translation and I'm sure that'll end up on the LRG disc, sorry if the Caladrius mention confused matters.

My point was that LRG doesn't touch the games themselves, they take whatever the dev gives them and slap it on a disc--sometimes the devs go the extra mile to update the build with all the patches or touch up the text or whatever, sometimes they hand it over as-is, and LRG doesn't care either way.

Yes, I was talking about Garegga. Having a physical edition in English isn't a super big deal to me because there's a translated guide on the shmups forum which I use anyways but still might go for it. Thanks to all who replied.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Is this the first time the Garegga soundtrack has been on vinyl?.

Yes, and LRG's putting the vinyl inside the box to keep the collector reseller hoarder dudes from selling it separately. I don't think they've yet specified precisely which version of the soundtrack is on the record, either.

There's not a ton of demand for vinyl in Japan, they're still content with CDs.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
anyone here ever used the 8bitdo SN30 pro for their shooters? I'd like to have a controller with a solid dpad for shmups, but I'm not sure I want to pay $150 for an arcade stick and I'm really not satisfied with the Switch pro-controller. this thing looks pretty damn sweet and reviews well, but I'd love to hear some Era player feedback.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
anyone here ever used the 8bitdo SN30 pro for their shooters? I'd like to have a controller with a solid dpad for shmups, but I'm not sure I want to pay $150 for an arcade stick and I'm really not satisfied with the Switch pro-controller. this thing looks pretty damn sweet and reviews well, but I'd love to hear some Era player feedback.

The Hori Fighting Stick Mini is released next week, priced at €44.99.

It even has a turbo function for the buttons!

https://www.amazon.es/WONZOM-Vinilo-adhesivo-diseño-atravesando/dp/B01AJSAAV6

61ZeKlhGXCL._SL1500_.jpg

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the old PS3 version of that Hori stick. Assuming they haven't made massive changes to it over the years, it's fine. It's entirely too light for its own good, and the stick and buttons aren't amazing, but they're not awful. You maybe don't want to use it with fighting games, but I do use mine on my laptop for shmups when I don't want to plug my big HRAP into it.

If you have a SNES Classic or any old Classic Controllers hanging around, you might look into the GBros adapter.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you also happen to have a stick from another system you could pick up an adapter (magic ns/brook) for ~30 dollars and use it with the switch.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I have the old PS3 version of that Hori stick. Assuming they haven't made massive changes to it over the years, it's fine. It's entirely too light for its own good, and the stick and buttons aren't amazing, but they're not awful. You maybe don't want to use it with fighting games, but I do use mine on my laptop for shmups when I don't want to plug my big HRAP into it.

If you have a SNES Classic or any old Classic Controllers hanging around, you might look into the GBros adapter.

If you also happen to have a stick from another system you could pick up an adapter (magic ns/brook) for ~30 dollars and use it with the switch.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the old controllers around. Sounds like the Wii U Pro is the way to go, but it's virtually impossible to find the original.

Would either of you say that the fight stick would be better than an 8bitdo product? I'm probably never going to use it for fighting games. I mainly want it for precise control of shmups, which I play pretty frequently. Not enough to warrant $150 for a RAP V, but $50 is a good middle ground and worth it to me.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I don't have any of the old controllers around. Sounds like the Wii U Pro is the way to go, but it's virtually impossible to find the original.

Would either of you say that the fight stick would be better than an 8bitdo product? I'm probably never going to use it for fighting games. I mainly want it for precise control of shmups, which I play pretty frequently. Not enough to warrant $150 for a RAP V, but $50 is a good middle ground and worth it to me.

Honestly, I'd probably go with one of 8bitdo's controllers if you don't want to go for a full stick.

The Hori mini stick's main selling point is how small it is. It doesn't take up a lot of space, is easy to travel with, and it's cheap. On the flip side, it's small and weighs almost nothing (the USB cable is the bulk of the weight), so you're going to want to use it on a table instead of your lap. I have small hands so it works out for me, but larger hands are going to feel cramped pretty quickly.

I like the M30, if you don't mind a lack of analog sticks.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have the PS4 version of that Hori mini and a PS4 RAP4 that I use with a magic adapter for the switch. I got the mini first but really don't like the mushy buttons on it, that's why I got the RAP4 (not just for shumps tho). Maybe the Switch version is better, I'm not sure, but I'd probably rather deal with the 8bitdo's issues moreso than the Hori mini's. Unless you want to swap buttons.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Honestly, I'd probably go with one of 8bitdo's controllers if you don't want to go for a full stick.

The Hori mini stick's main selling point is how small it is. It doesn't take up a lot of space, is easy to travel with, and it's cheap. On the flip side, it's small and weighs almost nothing (the USB cable is the bulk of the weight), so you're going to want to use it on a table instead of your lap. I have small hands so it works out for me, but larger hands are going to feel cramped pretty quickly.

I like the M30, if you don't mind a lack of analog sticks.
I have the PS4 version of that Hori mini and a PS4 RAP4 that I use with a magic adapter for the switch. I got the mini first but really don't like the mushy buttons on it, that's why I got the RAP4 (not just for shumps tho). Maybe the Switch version is better, I'm not sure, but I'd probably rather deal with the 8bitdo's issues moreso than the Hori mini's. Unless you want to swap buttons.

Nice, thank you both. I hadn't thought about going with a Sega style controller, but there's no reason I can't. Seems like all of 8bitdo's stuff works with the Switch. And I'm guessing I can program the extra face buttons to function as R1 and L1 shoulder buttons. If the D-Pad is solid, then I'm happy to give it a go. My biggest issue on Switch is having precise control over my ships, especially in games like Gunbird 2 and Danmaku Unlimited 3.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Hellsinker is apparently getting a tutorial (in the new digital version shared some posts ago):

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I despise everything about LRG but I'm going for the Garegga special edition because I'm very easily taken for a ride when it's a game I love. Sigh. Oh, and it doesn't even come with the artbook. Lovely.

On a related note, it'd be real super if we could get some details on when they're gonna bother to ship Game Tengoku.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The artbook was more of an interview book with some art thrown in, I'm disappointed but not shocked they opted not to translate it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the LE swag is literal surplus from the Japanese version.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I despise everything about LRG but I'm going for the Garegga special edition because I'm very easily taken for a ride when it's a game I love. Sigh. Oh, and it doesn't even come with the artbook. Lovely.

On a related note, it'd be real super if we could get some details on when they're gonna bother to ship Game Tengoku.
Why don't you like LRG?

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Why don't you like LRG?
This:
Wat, you don't enjoy:
-Planning your day around a release
-Spamming F5
-Clicking on shit so fast that you screw something up
-Hoping to hell the checkout queue works quickly enough, while scalpers are allowed to buy 2
-So you can front LRG the production money months in advance
-While you wait for your stuff
-Only to receive it incomplete, in need of patches

So you don't have to:
-Go to Ebay and pay stupid prices to asshole scalpers

?

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I talked myself out of Garegga. 3000 copies, no buy limits. It's going to be a slaughter. If I want a disc again that bad (I've owned the Saturn version), I'll just deal with the lack of english in the Korean release.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Just pre-ordered the LE Garegga box from LRG about 8 min ago. Aside from having a physical disc and the vinyl soundtrack, I also got pushed over the edge when I read that it also includes a Saturn style longbox with an English booklet. First time ordering anything from them, just ordered with PayPal as soon as it went live, didn't have any issues at all. Maybe I'm just fortunate? :)

Edit: Well, first batch is sold out.

Last edited:

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
No scalper limit is very bad. at least it doesn't seem to have much of an effect for Garegga standard. it's still in available.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up an LE. I have no idea how close I came to not getting it. Site slowed down a bit midway through the process but everything went through fine.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Just pre-ordered the LE Gregga box from LRG about 8 min ago, aside from having a physical disc and the vinyl soundtrack, I also got pushed over the edge when I read that it also includes a Saturn style longbox with an English booklet. First time ordering anything from them, just ordered with PayPal as soon as it went live, didn't have any issues at all. Maybe I'm just fortunate? :)

The Saturn longbox hurt it for me. Those things were horrible.. that and the vinyl frisbee.

It went slow I think because of the vinyl. Most people hav no use for it, plus it makes the box bigger and the price higher.

My Saturn longbox memories are about cracked cases and disks floating around and all scratched up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even the standard edition is selling slower than I expected. Damned thing is still available. I was certain it would be gone in seconds.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's slow by LRG standards? Eww.
It depends, but for big titles without a sell limit? Yeah don't expect them to be available for longer than about 2 minutes.

I don't know, maybe it's because this is a PS4 version. Switch has been the new hotness for awhile. Maybe people are waiting around for a potential release. Vita is a cage match. I had to put my order in twice for Iconoclasts because the cart crashed on me. I think it was sold out in less than 2 minutes.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
LRG learned that allowing scalpers to get whatever they want made them more popular and sell more.
Sad but not too surprising.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I broke down and managed to get a LE copy. I should have just gotten the regular, but the saturn long box, and the documentary made me go fuck it.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
The Saturn longbox hurt it for me. Those things were horrible.. that and the vinyl frisbee.

It went slow I think because of the vinyl. Most people hav no use for it, plus it makes the box bigger and the price higher.

lol I don't normally care for Saturn longboxes either but it's still a neat case and it just so happens I recently started buying vinyl, recently got the Gradius III vinyl from Ship to Shore. This will be a killer companion to that.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I got the special edition as well. Sold out at the 4 minute mark. The fastest I've ever seen anything sell out was the Rain World bundle which lasted about 30 seconds, though there were only 300 made. I think scalpers were a bit uneducated on that one because it didn't actually have anything exclusive to it and it isn't a hot sell on eBay.
Why don't you like LRG?
Radiant Silvertuna and Lakeside pretty much covered it. The "goal" of making cult classic games physically available for fans rings pretty hollow given their manufactured scarcity and appeal to scalper culture. But look at me buying from them anyway.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
My long time pet peeve with shut em ups, collidable top and bottoms of the screen!.

I accept collidable structures but having your ship explode because it touched the top or bottom of the screen really pisses me off, stop doing it games!!

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
If anyone out there is still on the fence, I picked up Raiden Legacy on Steam for $0.50, and I still wonder whether I got ripped off. DotEmu is a terrible company.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
HORGIHUGH (ホーギーヒュー) is coming to Steam:

ss_16a619483cf2dfbec6a4c42b37af53d171965a35.jpg