• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017

Whoa crazy, a new Psikyo series shmup, those Strikers 1945 eShop sales must have exceeded expectations. What kind of track record does City Connection have?

Edit: Ah ok, they own Psikyo's IP. Will be interesting to see how this turns out and if any former Psikyo devs work on it.

Last edited:

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
They did Psyvariar Delta recently, and Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special. They also acquired a company with former Psikyo staff members (and that ported those games on Switch).
It should be fine at the very least.

Sweet, good to know, thanks.

Psyvariar Delta is fantastic. This is promising.

Man, I need to get on this. Been procrastinating on checking out the Payvariar series since the Dreamcast.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I've had psyvariar delta preordered physical edition through readytodispatch since April 30, 2018 lol
as a huge fan of psyvariar 2: the will to fabricate (one of the first shmups I took the time to learn and clear) it's been very painful and hard not to go and buy the digital version...

Last edited:

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I've gone back to iOS for work reasons, managed to score an iPhone 7 with 10.3.3 for cheap. So I get to play Cave's brilliant ports for a little bit, until I decide to update. I really, really hope that the signs of life they've been showing (shottriggers, exa rumors, Friday streams) will lead to them saving these games.

Also, Deathsmiles smartphone rpg mode is oddly fun for some reason.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I've had psyvariar delta preordered physical edition through readytodispatch since April 30, 2018 lol
as a huge fan of psyvariar 2: the will to fabricate (one of the first shmups I took the time to learn and clear) it's been very painful and hard not to go and buy the digital version...
Why don't you just import the game? I did because dispatch games will probably never release it. They even sold the japanese import themselves at some point iirc.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I've gone back to iOS for work reasons, managed to score an iPhone 7 with 10.3.3 for cheap. So I get to play Cave's brilliant ports for a little bit, until I decide to update. I really, really hope that the signs of life they've been showing (shottriggers, exa rumors, Friday streams) will lead to them saving these games.

Also, Deathsmiles smartphone rpg mode is oddly fun for some reason.
Did those Cave titles ever come to Android, even on older OS versions? I migrated to Android from iOS recently and kinda miss those titles :(

Deleted member 3894

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
M2 Shot Triggers ESP Ra.De coming to PS4 and now Nintendo Switch simultaneously. Digital, physical and deluxe physical versions planned.

denfaminicogamer said:
phAA.jpg

ここでソフトについての情報をいったん整理しておくと、『エスプレイド』はプレイステーション4とNintendo Switchで、それぞれ以下3種類のソフトが発売される予定だ。

(1)ダウンロード版
(2)物理メディア付きパッケージの初回生産版
(3)物理メディア付きパッケージの豪華限定版

Source

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't you just import the game? I did because dispatch games will probably never release it. They even sold the japanese import themselves at some point iirc.
I probably would have went straight for the import had I known there were going to be huge delays, but I'm not a fan of importing and then being bummed that a localized version released.
I don't really like owning duplicate copies.. (I still have akai katana shin and akai katana, dodonpachi daifukkatsu + black label and dodonpachi resurrection, deathsmiles JP and US... bleh)

dispatch made a big post recently saying that they apologize and they're going to announce a final release date at the end of this month.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
FYI dudes, big BC Xbox sale going on includes Triggerheart Exelica, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, R-Type, Capcom Arcade, Midway Arcade, Panzer Dragoon Orta...

Lots of these titles (Silvergun) almost never go on sale.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone played the Steam version of Mars: Chaos Menace? It seems the cheevos are not unlocking for me. People mentioned framerate issues on PS4. Unity game, so no surprise there. I got a different problem, the game kicked all my fans into hurricane mode. Looking at RTSS my 1070 rendered 300-4000 frames, no vsync option, forcing via driver wasn't working either, but frame limiting via RTSS saved my GPU from smelting. No antialiasing can be mended with AA compatibility bits 0x004000c1. OGSSAA gives CGI like image quality. The game is really ultra future proofed and should happily render at 4K with 144Hz, lol. Pretty rad game and criminally overlooked.

EDIT: yeah, the game could use some work, cleared the final boss rush and then the game just got stuck in a loop playing the stage completion jingle, I had to alt+F4 out of it.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I forget who it was who was asking for this a while back but Arcade Archives Image Fight is finally out on PS4/Switch today.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I forget who it was who was asking for this a while back but Arcade Archives Image Fight is finally out on PS4/Switch today.

That was me. :)

About time, hopefully this means we'll also get other Irem titles like original R-TYPE eventually.

I've been wanting to play Image Fight for a long time. Almost got the PC Engine version years ago. I hear it's a good game but really challenging and memorization based.

Last edited:

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
You know the eshop did get R-Type DImensions Ex. I know not exactly the same as just the straight arcade game, but its something.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Played some Image Fight last night on Switch and really enjoying it so far but wow, is it tough. Definitely feels like a vertical R-TYPE. Love the visuals and music. One odd thing I noticed though is there doesn't seem to be an option this time to switch between regional versions like all other Hamster ACA releases.

Oct 27, 2017
I just moved into a new place and decided to get the cab going again. mushihimesama futari black label pcb went in and been working on god mode.

I can get to stage 3 maybe every 5 tries? but that rolly polly section dominates me. I at least set a new personal high score today (that 350,000,000 life extend helps a bunch even if I died 2 times right away near the end of the stage)
hPqt9Ou.jpg

I at least got the original clear in 2 tries, but I think I'm going to keep working to get to god mode stage 4. it's been awhile since some good sessions ;)

Last edited:

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Devil Engine is getting a DLC/Expansion this winter. Game will also release on PS4.
DLC will be 10 usd according to a comment on the Protoculture Games YouTube channel.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Yeah, a fair score, I'd say.

Doesn't seem to have any scoring mechanics, you just get the same points for things no matter what you do and even when you shoot enemies quickly, more enemies don't spawn and there's no bonus for finishing the game quickly so I think it's just a matter of making sure you kill everything unless you're happy to milk the bosses.
3 quid and it kept me out of trouble for a couple of hours. I didn't regret buying it or consider refunding, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else bothers.

You have 6 weapons by the finish and you have to cycle through them which gets quite confusing, like it's hard to remember whether you have to press back twice to get to the "shoot behind" weapon or if you have to press it three times because you've got an extra weapon now. Bit of a pain in the arse, I more or less just gave up in the end and stuck to the forward shot, backwards shot and that shield defence thing you get near the end.

It's a shame because with a little more work, a few interesting scoring mechanics, I'd happily have kept on playing. I liked the lo-fi look and sound of it and the cute dog things. Can't see the point of playing again really, especially considering my head hurts with all the weapon switching. A few achievements left for getting through it without getting hit a bunch of times, no extra difficulty modes or anything.
I liked the last attack pattern of the final boss, it goes proper bullet hell, could have done with more of that throughout the rest of the game.

TL;DR Meh, half arsed shooter without any scoring mechanics. You'll play through it to the end once and maybe even enjoy your time with it, but what's the point?

Looks like the franchise has a lot of diehard fans, it's very rare for even a high quality indie shmup to garner that amount of steam reviews over the course of a few years, never mind the first few days.

However, the developer likely wanted a title that's accessible for PC gamers. Forcing them to manage so many inputs on a keyboard would result in far too much frustration.

I don't agree with that, they could have assigned the different characters to the number keys on the keyboard, people who play on pc are used to doing this in first person shooters, for example, rather than having a weapon wheel or cycling through weapons like you do in console games. A keyboard has a load of buttons and we're used to using them. I think the devs wanted the game to be playable on an arcade stick and pad so went for the weapon cycling buttons instead.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I made this for kicks and I think it's too obscure for, well, everyone:
D8MN0lyXkAAnLLm.jpg

Also, someone did a shmups radio which is pretty cool:

Hi everyone.
I apologize for my English. But I would like to share with you the news. I launched an Internet radio dedicated to the music from shoot'em up video games.
We have a small website made by one of the subscribers of the radio station group in the social network https://vk.com/shootemupradio
The site is still in development, but through it you can already listen to streaming audio broadcasting.
https://radioshmup.ru/

Also, you can safely listen to the radio in the browser or in the audio player on the links below

http://84.52.126.211:8085/stream.ogg - 320kbps
http://84.52.126.211:8045/256.ogg - 256kbps
http://84.52.126.211:8025/128.ogg - 128kbps

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Relevant for this thread, I figure:
Genesis Mini's Version Of Darius Looks A Lot Like A Fan's Port
Sega has revealed the final batch of games on its Genesis Mini, and there's one particularly surprising inclusion: a game that's never been seen before on Genesis, seemingly made by a fan. It's a beautiful-looking port of the 1987 Taito arcade shoot-em-up Darius, which never had a Genesis version back in the day.
Update, 2:56 p.m. Eastern: Sega has told Kotaku that the version of Darius on the Genesis Mini is a totally new version ported by the developer M2, and not based on the fan work. However, since the Mini version bears striking similarity to the fan-created port, it still seems possible that there is a connection between them. We have updated the headline and first paragraph of this story. The rest of our original story is below.