• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
New game from the space moth lads, Star Hunter, coming to steam late summer. Looks glorious!

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Rtype Final 2 is funded. This is neat.

Hey Cave, how about you start a small kickstarter for hiring an iOS dev to update your mobile ports?

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Play-Asia cancelled my Gleylancer order :( i still don't understand why did they choose to press a set amount instead of having open pre-orders and gauging by that how many copies would be needed.

Oct 27, 2017
yeah play-asia would do that. I was pissed and started using them with caution after they cancelled my demon's souls asian version preorder 2 weeks before release.

I still used them for a handful of other preorders (CAVE shmups) until I ran into a couple more "inventory" issues and stopped using them entirely

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
What pisses me off is they fucking charged me, and then like 5 days later are like OOOPPSSS we don't have any, want this back in Playasia credit? No assholes give me my money back.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
What pisses me off is they fucking charged me, and then like 5 days later are like OOOPPSSS we don't have any, want this back in Playasia credit? No assholes give me my money back.
This has happened to me multiple times, including with them refusing to cancel and refund the rest of the order if I ordered multiple items to save on shipping.

I don't order from them anymore.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Basically yeah. If Amazon JP allows it, they're the best. You pay a bit more at first but that's because they cover up customs taxes. If they didn't have to go through customs, they'll reimburse you that some weeks later.
Then you got stuff like cdjapan, nin-nin, etc.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Reviewed the Konami Arcade Anniversary Collection:

It's a fairly deep write-up (4000-5000 words IIRC). I cover all 8 games with some detail.

I'm going to look like an idiot if Konami never adds region-select to this set. Originally I wrote this review with the belief that it wasn't going to happen at all (and scored the set a 5 out of 10)

Wait they didn't patch it in yet? Didn't it make it in together with TATE options (at least on Switch)?

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Momoiro Underground has been renamed to "Dezatopia" and is coming to the switch and pc - https://twitter.com/Hanaji/status/1138414746586079233

w6sHmfh.jpg

Glad I held off importing that now as I'm assuming this will be available digital for a nicer price and fix some of the exploits.
Also, it wasn't just a port of mecha ritz they were working on, it was actually a port of the whole stg builder engine! - https://twitter.com/Hanaji/status/1138414793977606145

1m6XJOR.jpg

This is excellent news for switch shmuppers. Many great indie games can now easily be brought to the switch!

Oct 27, 2017
momoiro underground is a weird one for sure. I've only played it a handful of times before I shelved it because I really don't understand the scoring - it's interesting.... and it's definitely not as intuitive as mech ritz was. the scoring strategy write ups made my head hurt too lol

I'll probably give it another go with the localization.

Oct 27, 2017
same.

it obviously has to be dangun feveron, mahou daisakusen/sorcer striker, or esprade unless it'll be a new game announcement?
of those three I'd love a dangun feveron physical edition.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
I don't care who publishes them as long as they have English options. It's not absolutely crucial but also not a ton of work to localize.

I'd prefer preorders with LRG or someone else so as to avoid the usual nonsense.

Me neither. I live in south east Asia so im personaly not entirely dependent on LGR shmups releases since most have been physically released over here trough other publishers. i couldn't care less of who releases them...same for English UI. couldn't care less in shmup.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
So Chippy is out, and if you have any love for twin stick shooters, don't sleep on this one.

It's a boss rush game where the enemies are comprised of a ton of breakable pixels. Bosses have a central core to destroy, but reaching them requires you to deal with smaller cores and barriers that get in your way. Instead of having to just shoot through everything, you can try to shoot out the pixels behind a core or other body part, and if it becomes fully detached from the central core, the whole chunk gets destroyed instantly. It's a really fun gimmick, and severing a large chunk of the boss feels great.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
For anyone interested, YT recommended me this video which seems to be an overview of various Gradius series games on the PCE

Oct 27, 2017
radirgy swag is really solid.

I think I'm enjoying it more than noa massive so far but I just started playing yesterday. If you play for score and can crank the multiplier up to x64 using your shields the bullet output is insane! leaderboards only have about 600 people on it so far though :O

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. didn't even knew Radirgy was getting released.
It's only on the japan eshop at the moment and I'm not sure there are any plans for a localization, but it's worth the effort of buying (a lot of fun).

my favorite part of it is the fact that you're rewarded for playing at the top part of the screen/aggressive play which just floods the field with enemies/bullets and you have to hope that you can keep your shield up. Otherwise if you play at the bottom of the screen and aren't concerned with point blanking/killing enemies with your shield then the difficulty stays at a lull.

I spent some more time with it yesterday and hope to spend a little bit more time tonight before the rolling gunner localization hits the eshop tomorrow.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
It's only on the japan eshop at the moment and I'm not sure there are any plans for a localization, but it's worth the effort of buying (a lot of fun).

my favorite part of it is the fact that you're rewarded for playing at the top part of the screen/aggressive play which just floods the field with enemies/bullets and you have to hope that you can keep your shield up. Otherwise if you play at the bottom of the screen and aren't concerned with point blanking/killing enemies with your shield then the difficulty stays at a lull.

I spent some more time with it yesterday and hope to spend a little bit more time tonight before the rolling gunner localization hits the eshop tomorrow.

So is it a diferent game from the Dreamcast/Gamecube/360 release?
Rolling Gunner is pretty good. It's what im currently playing along with M2s Battle Garegga.

Oct 27, 2017
So is it a diferent game from the Dreamcast/Gamecube/360 release?
Rolling Gunner is pretty good. It's what im currently playing along with M2s Battle Garegga.
definitely different. it has that weird 2.5D look which actually works for it unlike the 3DS releases
core concept is the same. you use your shield to build up your multiplier and once you get your multiplier up you continue to use sword/gun to rack up points based on that multiplier. I don't know how to explain why, but swag feels more of a caravan mode in nature (sort of like massive mode but without the timer).

one negative is that noa massive looks way better/has more character, but it's still good fun.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Radirgy Swag is fun but there are no bosses and no real stages and it's not much to look at, even compared to other Milestone games, so I wouldn't recommend it casually--it's pure caravan.

Oct 27, 2017
that's probably a good point. if you're not into score chasing then it might not be as enjoyable but I've definitely been trying to pop some over(loads) every night ;)

(I will say the lady played a few rounds and had fun - and she only really enjoys the occasional surface level run of futari black label on the cab)

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
New to actually trying to "play" shmups, though I've played plenty over the years.
I beat Graze Counter in novice and I think I can manage arcade soon enough.

But really, I've been digging Darius Burst CS. So much content.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Rolling Gunner is really, really fun. "novice mode" is definitely way too easy (I made it to the last stage on my first try without really understanding the power-up systems or controls very well) but I'm looking forward to digging into it more. I know it's not graphically very impressive but I honestly think it looks really cool as well. I'm glad the switch release made it outside of Japan, and way earlier than it was originally announced I think, too.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Rolling Gunner is really, really fun. "novice mode" is definitely way too easy (I made it to the last stage on my first try without really understanding the power-up systems or controls very well) but I'm looking forward to digging into it more. I know it's not graphically very impressive but I honestly think it looks really cool as well. I'm glad the switch release made it outside of Japan, and way earlier than it was originally announced I think, too.

Maybe try Casual mode. Is way harder than Novice. Things get more hectic after stage 3. Its easy but maybe it will take you a few runs to get you a 1cc and its a great practise for Normal mode.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
On a scale of Gradius to Deathsmiles, how much of a true blue bullet hell is Rolling Gunner? I really like horizontal shmups but I'm not keen on bullet hells. And this looks like both of those things so I'm unsure whether to try it.

Oct 27, 2017
is there no online leaderboards in rolling gunner? I was excited to see where I ranked but only see local scores.

I sank some more time into radirgy today and even though I crushed it I still can't break the top 200 leaderboards ._.