• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Is Jamestown on sale? I played that ages ago and remember loving it. Would recommend that if it's still available.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's not a bad game, especially in multiplayer, and it sold pretty well on PC (mostly in bundles) so it's a shame it didn't pay off and they were never able to put out anything else.

What's worse is the PC version has technical issues that never got fixed and they never really explained what was going on, they just stopped responding to PC players and then disappeared altogether.

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Just got a 360, trying to buy Akai Katana off the marketplace... it won't let me? Either on my 360 or my PC, says the purchase can't be completed. Has it been delisted?

I've been working with Microsoft support for the last hour, things seem to be broken.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
If anyone was wondering, Futari 360 in tate on a decently sized monitor is amazing.

Also I'm totally looking forward to playing Deathsmiles 2 during the Christmas season.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeeeaaaap

I hope my 360(s) never hits the bucket. It's still my favorite shmup console. I used to use a downscaler and feed it into my bvm or pvm but those are now in storage.

(I've been doing the same with ds iix every christmas since 2013. I've also started a new bayonetta 2 playthrough every christmas since 2014 :P).

Oct 27, 2017
looks like dispatch is doing a physical localization of radirgy swag!

(but I'm skeptical with ordering from them again after this whole psyviariar delta debacle)

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Just noticed that Psyvaria Delta is up in the German eshop since yesterday.
Thats a nice surprise for the weekend.

Though no option for Blanche DLC currently.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
looks like dispatch is doing a physical localization of radirgy swag!

(but I'm skeptical with ordering from them again after this whole psyviariar delta debacle)

I don't want to make excuses for them and don't really know what happened either way but it seems the delays with Psyvariar may have been a result of Dispatch essentially being taken over by another company, and that transition seems to finally be over now.

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Anyone have a good source for Japan XBOX digital gift cards? Shmups.com mentions japancodes but they're out of stock.

edit
Google turns up Sea Gamer Mall, never heard of them, but they have a paypal option. Should be safe.

editedit
all my payments are being rejected. hm

Last edited:

Deleted member 34711

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Been playing some Bangai-O Missile Fury - holy crap this game is wrecking me. Can't believe they made Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, and Guardian Heroes backwards compatible, but stopped short of this awesomeness.

Last edited:

seatoadgames

Jul 5, 2019
I am working on a online multiplayer shmup with randomized levels and loot. Just finished up the trailer today. There are also older gameplay videos in that youtube channel. Let me know what you guys think!

I am hoping to hit Early Access on Steam at the end of next month but there is still a lot of work to be done.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
true final boss in zeroranger is oof, even with the extra lives in that little bonus section before the fight starts proper im having a rough time lol

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think if I want to play ports of Muchi Pork, Futari and Ketsui etc. on PC I'll just have to wait, eh? ;_;

At least you can't take DDP Daifukatsu and Mushihimesama away from me, that's something! <3 True gems, these two! From what I've played on MAME Ketsui, MMP and Futari are my most wanted shmups today.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Guys, I have a question. How do (or did you) approach a shmup that you "chose" to sink your teeth into? Or first of all, what made it click for you so you knew "oh that's cool, this is the one?"

I had that moment with Ketsui in lately.

I don't know why it took so long but I finally - intuitively - got Ketsui's scoring system. It's really immediate and approachable compared to some of the other Cave games I played. It helps that the game plays and looks awesome in general. There's a savage quality to the enemy placement and bullet patterns that's really hitting the mark for me. The graphics arentop notch, too. I've had the game in my MAME collection for a while but only now I think this might be "that" game.

Now to my first question: so I kinda get the scoring now but I'm wondering if you guys go for a 1cc first? Some may learn the game by playing for score, I don't know. Right now I'm replaying the first 2 or 3 stages, trying to do ok with scoring. After that I usually die and try to avoid credit feeding.

Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't credit feed ever and just restart each credit. The only problem with doing so is that I get much more efficient at stages 1-3 and then I usually slop together stages 4+ to get the clear. Save states would be good for me for learning the end stages/tricky parts but I'm usually not having fun unless it's a full clear attempt...

I usually go for the 1CC first only learning scoring paths/sections enough to take advantage of score extends/secret 1ups.

For me with cave shmups that method only gets tricky with yagawa stgs since they typically don't limit how many score extends you can get (only max stock). Same with progear..

I usually realize it's "the game" once I get the clear and I'm still having fun with scoring. For me it's progear/muchi muchi pork 1.0 & 1.01 / futari black label

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I credit feed until I don't have to anymore or I lose interest. I don't start a game with the intention to 1CC. That happens or it doesn't. I want to enjoy all the game got to offer. The rest just snaps into place.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My LRG Game Tengoku special edition came today. I wish I could say I was excited but seeing it in hand just reminded me of all the shady shit surrounding this release.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My LRG Game Tengoku special edition came today. I wish I could say I was excited but seeing it in hand just reminded me of all the shady shit surrounding this release.

Yeah I definitely wish I had not ordered the special edition. They basically baited everyone with the exclusive DLC but it wasn't true.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I missed what happened, what shady stuff did they do with that release?

This little bit irked me. Word was at the time, you couldn't get the exclusive DLC without buying their expensive special edition. Naturally it was available via PSN before the LRG box even shipped.

4F2mbN1.jpg

LRG Product Page

PSN Link for DLC

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
This little bit irked me. Word was at the time, you couldn't get the exclusive DLC without buying their expensive special edition. Naturally it was available via PSN before the LRG box even shipped.

4F2mbN1.jpg

LRG Product Page

PSN Link for DLC
To elaborate a bit, the PSN announcement came literally days after the special edition sold out. It wasn't even on the standard physical edition too so as far as anyone knew you had to drop $100 during that five minute pre-order window to get the Tatsujin DLC. And don't forget that DLC was already available on Steam at the time IIRC. The whole thing was a predatory mess.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Speak of the devil. My copy of Battle Garegga (PS4) just arrived via LRG.

Even though I've been garbage at Garegga for decades, somehow I managed to 1CC Premium mode on my first try.
When I get some time, I'll have to read up on all of the differences between Premium and Original.

wtBrec1.jpg

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
To elaborate a bit, the PSN announcement came literally days after the special edition sold out. It wasn't even on the standard physical edition too so as far as anyone knew you had to drop $100 during that five minute pre-order window to get the Tatsujin DLC. And don't forget that DLC was already available on Steam at the time IIRC. The whole thing was a predatory mess.

I wasn't aware was on Steam at the time but the rest checks out. A lot of us spent $100 to get that DLC and I'm not sure there's even been a comment from LRG.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I also got my copy of Garegga in the mail yesterday. Love that reversible Saturn cover.

So I fire it up and it feels great, just as I remember on the Saturn. I'm messing around with the options and I find this input delay toggle. "I'm on a lagless Asus MX279H so why do I need this?" Immediately I noticed the difference. It was like trying to drag my ship around. So what gives? Is anyone able to shed some light on why switching off the input delay option feels so different?

I also need to find a way to TATE this display. The shitty proprietary mount means no VESA. I'm thinking of finding a really big book cradle to rest it in.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I fire it up and it feels great, just as I remember on the Saturn. I'm messing around with the options and I find this input delay toggle. "I'm on a lagless Asus MX279H so why do I need this?" Immediately I noticed the difference. It was like trying to drag my ship around. So what gives? Is anyone able to shed some light on why switching off the input delay option feels so different?

turning that option off increases the input lag, your monitor may be lagless but that doesn't mean the game you are playing on it is.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

The board itself has a degree of input lag, that's what you switched back on. It's an option for people who want arcade accuracy.

Even though I've been garbage at Garegga for decades, somehow I managed to 1CC Premium mode on my first try.
When I get some time, I'll have to read up on all of the differences between Premium and Original.

The most obvious difference is that the rank system is completely different, Premium basically escalates rank in fxed increments per level, with a conditional trigger for max rank.

Oct 27, 2017
my physical copy of psyvariar delta (PS4) just shipped... !! pretty excited to check it out since I haven't really spent time with psyvariar since the will to fabricate.

I was also talking to someone about deathsmiles recently and decided to pick it back up even though I'm terrible at it (and only use 4 of the 7 assigned buttons). still nabbed a clear doing all level 2s (skipping extra stage) in normal. felt good

Last edited:

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Nicely done, my man!
I play deathsmiles as a three button game
1. Shoot left (tap for rapid fire, hold for laser)
2. shoot right (same)
(hold both buttons together for lock on shot)
3. Bomb
What's the other button you're using? Do you use a separate button for lock on?

Oct 27, 2017
I dont use lock on :P
Left laser, right laser, bomb, hyper mode (although I know you can also trigger by holding left and right laser down). I don't tap for shot either... I just ignore it altogether since the companion locks with windia on laser

I cant even begin to figure out which shot produces more scoring opportunities on which mobs because as I understand it you're supposed to use all 5 shot types on different enemies and I know lock on plays a big role in it, but that's kind of annoying to figure out. So I just use the two shots and pop hyper in "scoring spots" after I've picked up a decent amount of crowns after max counter and can hit one extend if not two.

Still a fun game even if I'm not gonna score chase. Tyrannosatan is such a dick tho

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Dear god! I'm here for you, brother.

Can I suggest the phrase "I won't even begin to explain the myriad intricacies as it would take far too long. Suffice to say, this is a game you just have to play and feel your way through", then you can just spend the rest of the review talking about the music or your cat or something.
If you're feeling braver, I look forward to reading your article and picking up some tips!

Waffle-Stomper, I admire your straight shooting, no-nonsense approach to caves absolutely batshit, convoluted scoring mechanics!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I don't normally like bullet hells but the insane and totally obtuse feel of Hellsinker made me a fan.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Dear god! I'm here for you, brother.

Can I suggest the phrase "I won't even begin to explain the myriad intricacies as it would take far too long. Suffice to say, this is a game you just have to play and feel your way through", then you can just spend the rest of the review talking about the music or your cat or something.
If you're feeling braver, I look forward to reading your article and picking up some tips!
Tips...lol.
Half the time I can't even tell what segment* I'm on.
Everything is just so dense. Somehow I managed to unlock alternate segments and a quick play mode.
At least the difficulty isn't crushing like Radio Zonde. Even if I'm playing poorly I can still get really far on one credit.

*segment = stage. This game has it's own glossary because of course it does.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
I look forward to reading the final article, however it turns out.
When I shut my eyes I can see a 42 page final draft dissolving into a 12 line existential beat poem.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Waffle-Stomper, I admire your straight shooting, no-nonsense approach to caves absolutely batshit, convoluted scoring mechanics!
yeaaaaah haha...

I mainly play cave games for score (with the exception of titles that require rigid planning like DOJ), but the fact that you just have to "figure" out which shot to use with no indication of whether you're using the right shot or not is really frustrating to me. On a positive note at least it creates a lot of replayability for testing the water with different shot types on different enemies. I just don't want to have to rely on studying other peoples runs to figure it out...

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I got as far as 100+ million in vanilla Deathsmiles and that was enough for me (usually I average about 60ish).
Unfortunately, I recorded that score while working on my review of the PC version. The leaderboards were reset the day of its release, so my high-score was lost.

Dug through my replays, but the only one I ever bothered to save was an All-Clear run of Arcade Mode (No EX stage).