• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
yeah that's a killer score. during my hours of runs I was hitting between 30-40 mil if I hit the hypers in the right spots. That sucks so bad about the leaderboards being reset and losing the replay.. :(

Oct 27, 2017
well at least the shipping was fast 🙄

E8fv3xn.jpg

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Neither the Switch or PS4 version have shown up in stores yet. I've had 2 stores cancel my pre-order for it. Dispatch games sucks, they basically said on twitter "lol good luck at retail".

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
On the bright side, they still have launch edition copies of Penguin Wars at a discount. Seems to be the only game they haven't messed up completely. But that only got a digital release here a year after the physical.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
JHgsIZW.jpg

Wow....that was a trip.

After learning what to do on the stage 8 boss, I was able to challenge...Garland? He's one of Hellsinker.'s three final bosses.
I went in with zero idea of what to expect...and I won!

Too bad though. It looks like I have to fight the True Last Boss to get a decent ending.
All I got for knocking down Garland was this:

k6a3D4H.jpg

Ah well.

Final results:
3KmGver.jpg

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Nice one, man! I've only played for an hour so far, trying to get through stage 4 so I can unlock kagura.
Can you remember which character you used to do that? I've been trying out the different guys and I'm not sure which one to stick with.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Nice one, man! I've only played for an hour so far, trying to get through stage 4 so I can unlock kagura.
Can you remember which character you used to do that? I've been trying out the different guys and I'm not sure which one to stick with.
I used Kagura: Variable Gun.

Here's the replay. Unfortunately I suck at recording and there's no BGM.

From my experience so far, Hellsinker. is really complex, but also really forgiving. Extends are easy to come by and bombs are extremely generous. This makes for a surprisingly accessible game if you just want a clear, but the skill-ceiling for mastery is ridiculously high. Case in point: The immortal bonus. Every extend you receive after maxing out your stock is worth a bunch of points. Basically, if you want the highest possible score, then you can't die at all.

The variety of characters with wildly divergent play-styles adds to the depth. Kagura: Variable Gun is probably the easiest to use, but tends to struggle in specific scenarios.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I started Hellsinker for a quick try, blind, had like 15 mins to spare, oh boy, there's a lot to take in ... very intriguing

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Well, I did ... something.

KLDabhO.jpg

I've unlocked karuga, anyway, so hopefully that makes things a bit more straight forward.

Oct 27, 2017
Case in point: The immortal bonus. Every extend you receive after maxing out your stock is worth a bunch of points. Basically, if you want the highest possible score, then you can't die at all.
I still have yet to play hellsinker (I own it), but I like the concept. That sort of reminds me of thunder dragon 2 but with bombs instead of extends. there are no extends in TD2, but there's an endless amount of bombs that you can trigger, and maxing out your stock/not using bombs is the way to crank out high scores.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
No one? I mean, I know they are obscure, but I'd imagine the more hardcore arcade players would know the series.
They are kind of similar to Psikyo's shmups in a number of ways to give an idea, and while they don't do a whole lot to stand out, imo, are overall well made. They are easily the best shmups Visco put out.

Oct 27, 2017
hey

I'm so bad at hellsinker it's amazing. my first run was absolute garbage and..
I'm resorting to watching a video of a 1CC right now to see what the rhythm is supposed to be, because I can't figure it out at all

edit: lmao this isn't helping whatsoever

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
hey

I'm so bad at hellsinker it's amazing. my first run was absolute garbage and..
I'm resorting to watching a video of a 1CC right now to see what the rhythm is supposed to be, because I can't figure it out at all

edit: lmao this isn't helping whatsoever
Yeah, same here. I made some progress, but feel like completely playing the game wrong. I'm not THAT dense ... usually, but really need "Hellsinker for Dummies" orz

EDIT: something happened ... and now I can play this better, but I still have no idea what's going on @.@

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Report back on Raiden V! I have it on PS4 but will definitely double dip if it's a decent port. I'm mostly worried about it performs in portable mode and if all that text and info is still readable on a smaller screen. Guessing there's no option to play with a vertical screen orientation due to that?

I've only completed the first stage in portable mode thus far. It seems to run flawlessly, didn't see a hint of slowdown. You're right, no tate mode which is disappointing. And the text is small. Can barely read anything what's on both sides, have a hard time hearing the voices too even with volume maxed out (headphones would probably fix that).

Don't think it's running natively either due to the text being a tad blurry (screenshots in portable mode).

EAgs6trU4AAUawP

EAguJSYU8AAuUuU

That being said, it looks like a fun shmup! Never owned it so looking forward to digging into it more. But I'll probably have more fun playing it on a 60" monitor.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I've only completed the first stage in portable mode thus far. It seems to run flawlessly, didn't see a hint of slowdown. You're right, no tate mode which is disappointing. And the text is small. Can barely read anything what's on both sides, have a hard time hearing the voices too even with volume maxed out (headphones would probably fix that).

Don't think it's running natively either due to the text being a tad blurry (screenshots in portable mode).

EAgs6trU4AAUawP

EAguJSYU8AAuUuU

That being said, it looks like a fun shmup! Never owned it so looking forward to dig into it more. But I'll probably have more fun playing it on a 60" monitor.

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll more than likely pick it up! I generally turn the voice volume down anyway because they talk non-stop and the OST is really good.

Deleted member 58832

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'm not really sure what changed, but Hellsinker's Steam release feels more playable than earlier versions. I bounced off that game for years before things finally clicking this week. Love it.

For the dozens of Cambria Sword fans out there, the dev released a free demo of his next game:

Pretty short, only a few levels. It's very much a Space Invaders/Galaga type experience. I'm still super hyped because Cambria Sword is one of the greatest shmups ever made.

Deleted member 58832

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
^Reading on twitter, maybe this is actually the full game? Flying Pancake Octopus in the Black Hole.

edit
Yeah it's the full game. It only seemed like a demo because the first time you play it's treated like a demo. The second time through things open up and become properly heavy metal crazy.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Oh wow, that's awesome! I really like Cambria Sword so I'll definitely play this.

I'm also trying to decide whether to get the Vasara Collection. Only a few copies left it seems.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Report back on Raiden V! I have it on PS4 but will definitely double dip if it's a decent port. I'm mostly worried about it performs in portable mode and if all that text and info is still readable on a smaller screen. Guessing there's no option to play with a vertical screen orientation due to that?

Raiden V doesn't support tate mode anywhere. Not on PC or any of the other consoles.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
What platform? Cant find any video of it.
Has anybody here played Flying Hamster? I really enjoyed it on vita.
That would be this game here:
I'm not really sure what changed, but Hellsinker's Steam release feels more playable than earlier versions. I bounced off that game for years before things finally clicking this week. Love it.

For the dozens of Cambria Sword fans out there, the dev released a free demo of his next game:

Pretty short, only a few levels. It's very much a Space Invaders/Galaga type experience. I'm still super hyped because Cambria Sword is one of the greatest shmups ever made.

Deleted member 58832

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Flying Pancake thoughts:
1. The forced tutorial run is a really bad first impression.
2. The bonus stage feels like a waste of time.
3. I can't tell a difference between easy and normal, beyond the first stage or two.
4. I haven't beaten the game yet (keep choking right at the end) but a hard mode would be appreciated.
5. Sometimes I get a super charge attack (on maxed out vulcan, anyways). Not sure what triggers it. But it's much bigger than usual.
6. Speaking of charge attacks, it's a little annoying that it's not always obvious when a boss can be damaged. I keep wasting charges while they're still invincible.
7. Like Cambria Sword, it's not even close to a perfect game, but there's something very appealing about it.
8. If we're supposed to be competing for score, it'd be really helpful if the high score list indicated route and weapon.

edit
cleared the 'south' end. Fun little game. I don't know how much I'll keep playing this but if the dev decides to keep tweaking the game, I'm up for coming back.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Game Tengoku is coming to Switch courtesy of our good friends at Dispatch. Two versions -- $40 standard and $100 limited (sound familiar?). Both versions come with all DLC on cart according to Nintendo Life. Fuck all of us that got the LRG special edition.

Sorry for the cynicism but this game is still finding new ways to haunt me.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this was coming from some one other than Dispatch games. They did a terrible job with Psyvariar Delta. On the publishing side of things I mean.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Game Tengoku is coming to Switch courtesy of our good friends at Dispatch. Two versions -- $40 standard and $100 limited (sound familiar?). Both versions come with all DLC on cart according to Nintendo Life. Fuck all of us that got the LRG special edition.

i still haven't opened my standard PS4 copy. Anything wrong with that one? Missing dlc?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Glad I didn't end up getting it on PS4. Hopefully a standard physical copy isn't too hard to get.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
this is a bit of a stretch, but has anyone gotten ZeroRanger running on mac through Wine? i've gotten a few windows-only games working that way without much effort but I tried out the demo and it ran into an error before it could load up.....i've really been wanting to give it a try but i'll probably hold out for the maybe-inevitable mac (or switch???) release if the full version will probably hit the same issue

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
i still haven't opened my standard PS4 copy. Anything wrong with that one? Missing dlc?
Glad I didn't end up getting it on PS4. Hopefully a standard physical copy isn't too hard to get.
I think there's one piece of DLC that's a code and not on the disc, which some people felt wasn't adequately explained upfront.
Here are two old posts of ours to explain a bit:
This little bit irked me. Word was at the time, you couldn't get the exclusive DLC without buying their expensive special edition. Naturally it was available via PSN before the LRG box even shipped.

4F2mbN1.jpg

LRG Product Page

PSN Link for DLC
To elaborate a bit, the PSN announcement came literally days after the special edition sold out. It wasn't even on the standard physical edition too so as far as anyone knew you had to drop $100 during that five minute pre-order window to get the Tatsujin DLC. And don't forget that DLC was already available on Steam at the time IIRC. The whole thing was a predatory mess.
Basically, LRG did two versions for this game but only the $100 version had the Tatsujin DLC. Literally days later the publisher announced that the Tatsujin was coming to PSN for like $10. So they obviously withheld that announcement to help move copies of the special edition (not that any LRG special edition struggles to sell out). And now this Switch version (my platform of choice) has all the DLC in the standard $40 version.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Hm, wonder if there's any kind of discount for owning it previously.

The publisher posted on the steam forum here. Sounds like they're planning to throw us some sort of bone.

It's not part of our announcement because we haven't gotten the official green light, but we've got some special plans for folks who already own Jamestown - we'll share more details about it as they're confirmed a little closer to release!

seatoadgames

Jul 5, 2019
I am working on a SHMUP x looter with customizable ships, randomized levels, and randomized loot drops for decking out your ship. I posted a trailer for my game earlier in the thread. The steam store page is finally live. I am hoping to enter Early Access at the end of the month. Super excited! Check out the store page and let me know what you think. There should be a trailer and some screenshots in there.

Oct 27, 2017
Is that the first time we've heard of esp ra.de. releasing on switch?

Regardless, I preordered the ps4 version even though the new mode sounds like less of an arrange mode and more of a remaster

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
They announced the Switch version a few months back, but they also said they reserved the right to cancel it if they couldn't get it running to their standards. I guess it turned out alright after all.