• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
I took a screenshot of their discord the other night when one of the devs explained why the pc version never got updated.

AoZJFcb.gif

Had no idea they were responsible for porting 20XX to consoles. One of my favourite games of 2017. It's like a more forgiving, roguelite version of megaman.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm finally, really feeling Wild Guns Reloaded. Gonna see if I can get a 1CC.

Also, this:
Unpopular opinion time (AKA every 1upsuper post): I really hope M2's Shottriggers line doesn't devolve into just Cave port after Cave port. :/ It started out so strong with Battle Garegga, Mahou Daisakusen, and the best Cave game, Dangun Feveron. I really want them to finish the Bat trilogy and then go for some more niche shmups.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
ESPra.de became their next project due to fan request--they did a user poll with a Japanese games website and that ended up being the #1 most-requested game, so they promised to make it happen.

A lot of other games came up as part of that discussion, including the Bat trilogy, IIRC their concern at the time was, because Batrider and Bakraid were more technically advanced than Garegga, they were really difficult to accurately emulate despite using the same hardware.

If I had to guess, I'd say their next game might be a Toaplan game, and probably Tatsujin-ou at that.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
That Jamestown insight is something, the original Steam release done really well, allegedly 500K-1M https://steamspy.com/app/94200 ... so it probably paid a lot of bills, funded the PS4 release and then sent them back to square one, man :\

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The vast majority of their sales were from bundles and thus didn't make a lot of money. Crimzon Clover's the same way, that game "sold" hundreds of thousands of copies because it's been tacked onto bundles and is constantly on sale for next to nothing.

There was an article years ago where the Jamestown developers talked about how they felt their only strategy against the Steam algorithm was to essentially give away so many copies of the game that it'd be forced onto peoples' storefronts.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Jamestown+ is real good. Got 100% on PS4 and would've bought a physical version back then.

yea, raw sales mean nothing if they have to give the game away. Sad.

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't toaplan games still held hostage by the person with the licensing rights? Or is that long past?

I'd hope for either batrider, bakraid, or ibara (with kuro)

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't toaplan games still held hostage by the person with the licensing rights? Or is that long past?

There are a couple on the Mega Drive Mini, so they either loosened up or Sega was just willing to pay whatever it took to get those particular games.

No thanks. That game is a fucking bastard.

I picked that one specifically because it seems to have gained an unironic fanbase in Japan over the last couple of years, and because the M2 president at one point said they had it running but can't do anything further without the rights, so...

The Raizing board they're emulating for Garegga and Mahou is the same one that was used for the late-era Toaplan games--Dogyuun, V-V, Batsugun, Tatsujin-ou and a couple others--so take your pick.

For what it's worth, the games left for the first-gen Cave hardware are Donpachi, Dodonpachi and Guwange (plus a few non-Cave STGs like Air Gallet) and the games left for the Ketsui hardware are Espgaluda and DDPDOJ/BL (and Bee Storm, I guess).

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I picked that one specifically because it seems to have gained an unironic fanbase in Japan over the last couple of years, and because the M2 president at one point said they had it running but can't do anything further without the rights, so...
Yeah well good for them, because I ain't touching that shit with an 80 foot pole. Life's too short as it is.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
So Devil Engine got an update and they buffed the homing shot and missiles on the Andraste. It's actually a viable weapon now.

Deleted member 58832

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I finally figured out why I don't enjoy Wild Guns Reloaded as much as I want to: I don't like how the game controls. Your crosshair moves just a little too slow, rolling and melee attack animations freeze you in place just a little too long, the fact that there are 3 important functions all unavoidably tied to 'fire' despite there being plenty of unused buttons on the controller... it's not a particularly hard game and it was balanced with this in mind, but it doesn't feel good.

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that tapping the fire button allows you to use your lasso (unless that was the 3rd important function you were referring to other than firing)

I actually love the way it feels :P

Deleted member 58832

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Yeah, I would much prefer if they used the 4th face button as a hold and release to lasso. Tapping the fire button feels very finnicky.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
I finally figured out why I don't enjoy Wild Guns Reloaded as much as I want to: I don't like how the game controls. Your crosshair moves just a little too slow, rolling and melee attack animations freeze you in place just a little too long, the fact that there are 3 important functions all unavoidably tied to 'fire' despite there being plenty of unused buttons on the controller... it's not a particularly hard game and it was balanced with this in mind, but it doesn't feel good.
sad because it's the best game in the universe. Neutral jump is very good in that game btw but people prob. forget about it because roll.

Oct 27, 2017
PSA: You can't rebind the controls in vasara. Stick to mame.

Wow. That's wild to hear. At least it was only $5 on Switch so not a big loss.

Odd to see that the PS4 & Vita versions aren't cross buy even though the Vita version is $2 less.

Also, anybody who picked up the US version of Psyvariar Delta tell me if the Blanche DLC is on disc or not?

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Just picked up Psyvariar Delta for Switch... holy shit did that sneak up on me. Had no idea about it, I enjoyed playing those games on the Dreamcast way back when.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I really don't like the "here's a screen full of arcade Rom options lol you balance it yourself" styles of options, at least Vasara only has like 3 that affect gameplay (although I don't know what "Vasara Style" means).

And there's no way to automatically go to the defaults for score entry... but I can't seem to figure out how to enter score.

I'd be really disappointed in this if it didn't feel so good to play. It's like if 1945 was actually interesting to play: close calls, melee charge, and touching enemies (which I appreciate isn't a stock but rather pushes you back) all make good use of the rumble.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Xposting from the eShop thread:

#VASARA COLLECTION

Well, first I want to say that I'm not complaining per se, the value of this release for its price (and the current preorder price is simply ridiculously low) and the fact these games are seeing a release out of Arcades for the first time ever is GREAT.

That being said I'm just a bit disappointed that so many features are half-assed while if implemented competently it'd make a big difference. This collection is just missing that last step to be awesome and earn a recommendation to... anyone who might like STGs, so hopefully they'll fix some of these:

•No controls customization
•No controller orientation, so there's no way to play it in horizontal scrolling mode nor in portrait (TATE) mode while on handheld mode but only tabletop mode
•No (optional) scanlines but only a sharp option and a blur filter
•Leaderboards are USELESS since it's only a top10, no way to see scores below the top10 and you can't even check yourself out unless you are one of those 10 (I'm currently 7th), no friends table at all.
On top of that there's no proper ranking mode and no set switches to qualify your score: you can change lives stock, smartbombs, all difficulties are lamped together so you can see someone on top who has maybe played at EASY while others below him could have scored on HARDEST mode, but that's not enough: you can keep continuing because it won't disqualify you (just add a +1 to your score).

I haven't checked but I hope at least the local highscores table isn't busted like that because it'd mean your scores achieved by credit feeding will delete the ones you might get by 1CCing the game.

So yeah, just the last example: why go all the way to set up leaderboards only to run them like that.

Every feature - that many similarly priced it even much higher priced STGs don't include (and besides R-Type Dimensions there's nothing close in terms of value per cost) - is there but missing that polish to make it good, like half-assed tate, filters missing scanlines, broken and useless online leaderboards, can't rebind controls.

I'm pretty sure most would've preferred having all of the above instead of VASARA Timless, the new exclusive VASARA game (in 2.5d and widescreen a.r.) made by the brazilian team handling dev duties.

Still, it's an essential purchase for its price, but I do hope they at least fix the non-customization for the controls and introduce controller orientation. I don't have much hope for the leaderboards....

I really don't like the "here's a screen full of arcade Rom options lol you balance it yourself" styles of options, at least Vasara only has like 3 that affect gameplay (although I don't know what "Vasara Style" means).

And there's no way to automatically go to the defaults for score entry... but I can't seem to figure out how to enter score.

I'd be really disappointed in this if it didn't feel so good to play. It's like if 1945 was actually interesting to play: close calls, melee charge, and touching enemies (which I appreciate isn't a stock but rather pushes you back) all make good use of the rumble.

VASARA STYLE means that on Vasara 1 especially the vasara super melee will automatically deploy the next time you execute the melee attack when fully charged .

TIMELESS STYLE makes it so that you'll have a separate button (Y) to fire Vasaras.

So yeah, I defo recommend using timeless mode.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Xposting from the eShop thread:

#VASARA COLLECTION

Well, first I want to say that I'm not complaining per se, the value of this release for its price (and the current preorder price is simply ridiculously low) and the fact these games are seeing a release out of Arcades for the first time ever is GREAT.

That being said I'm just a bit disappointed that so many features are half-assed while if implemented competently it'd make a big difference. This collection is just missing that last step to be awesome and earn a recommendation to... anyone who might like STGs, so hopefully they'll fix some of these:

•No controls customization
•No controller orientation, so there's no way to play it in horizontal scrolling mode nor in portrait (TATE) mode while on handheld mode but only tabletop mode
•No (optional) scanlines but only a sharp option and a blur filter
•Leaderboards are USELESS since it's only a top10, no way to see scores below the top10 and you can't even check yourself out unless you are one of those 10 (I'm currently 7th), no friends table at all.
On top of that there's no proper ranking mode and no set switches to qualify your score: you can change lives stock, smartbombs, all difficulties are lamped together so you can see someone on top who has maybe played at EASY while others below him could have scored on HARDEST mode, but that's not enough: you can keep continuing because it won't disqualify you (just add a +1 to your score).

I haven't checked but I hope at least the local highscores table isn't busted like that because it'd mean your scores achieved by credit feeding will delete the ones you might get by 1CCing the game.

So yeah, just the last example: why go all the way to set up leaderboards only to run them like that.

Every feature - that many similarly priced it even much higher priced STGs don't include (and besides R-Type Dimensions there's nothing close in terms of value per cost) - is there but missing that polish to make it good, like half-assed tate, filters missing scanlines, broken and useless online leaderboards, can't rebind controls.

I'm pretty sure most would've preferred having all of the above instead of VASARA Timless, the new exclusive VASARA game (in 2.5d and widescreen a.r.) made by the brazilian team handling dev duties.

Still, it's an essential purchase for its price, but I do hope they at least fix the non-customization for the controls and introduce controller orientation. I don't have much hope for the leaderboards....

VASARA STYLE means that on Vasara 1 especially the vasara super melee will automatically deploy the next time you execute the melee attack when fully charged .

TIMELESS STYLE makes it so that you'll have a separate button (Y) to fire Vasaras.

So yeah, I defo recommend using timeless mode.
I don't understand the TATE complaints. Is it that you can't play with the controllers while they're still attached?

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Darius Cozmic Collection is finally getting a digital release in Japan this September. There's also going to be an update for the physical release.

The regular version as a download is priced at 5,200 yen and the CE is 6,500 yen. (about 10,000 yen cheaper than the physical release was for the CE)

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Before anyone gets carried away, the update's a performance/bug fix patch, it doesn't add the extra games.

seatoadgames

Jul 5, 2019
I've posted a few times in this thread that I've been working on a Shoot'em Up with Looter elements from games like Diablo and Borderlands. It features randomized levels and online multiplayer. I finally got it into Early Access on Steam! Come play with me!

Early Access currently contains 1 zone with 4 bosses. There are 4 ships to choose from and lots of weapons to customize your ship. The goal is to add a new zone every month with new weapons, enemies, and bosses.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M7oDe0DNqk

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like if you're getting the lite you're going to have a suboptimal Tate experience regardless.

On the contrary imo, as far as portable mode TATEd, the Lite would be the best case scenario since there are no joycons rails that you can bend because of weight/pressure, the system is less heavy and smaller while maintaining the same depth and has a proper D-pad.

But all of that won't matter since VASARA has neither controller's orientation nor customizable inputs.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
On the contrary imo, as far as portable mode TATEd, the Lite would be the best case scenario since there are no joycons rails that you can bend because of weight/pressure, the system is less heavy and smaller while maintaining the same depth and has a proper D-pad.

But all of that won't matter since VASARA has neither controller's orientation nor customizable inputs.
Earlier Tate titles didn't exactly support it commonly. I don't remember Ikaruga using it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My LRG Battle Garegga special edition arrived. It came with a trading card, unlike Game Tengoku. Did anyone who ordered the Game Tengoku special edition receive a trading card?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
OK, good to know. Guess their card thing is inconsistent. I think some games even have multiple card variants.

I was thinking I suppose it's possible I threw it away since I'm used to getting just the small boxes from LRG. I skip the special editions 99% of the time.

I'm not sure I even looked for a card.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
"It has Ikaruga-like attributes, but is different in that vectors are 180 degrees."

What does this mean?

It's a bad translation, he's basically saying the new game has the same conceptual roots as Ikaruga while being a totally different sort of game.

The update doesn't really give anything away that hasn't already been disclosed: in essence, the game system is there but M2 doesn't have an in-house team that can do it justice, so they're still considering whether to work with external contractors, hire more people, etc to bring the graphics up to scratch.