• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 58832

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Hoping they finally put Jamestown PS4 on sale again. I've read that the co-op is actually pretty good so I'd rather have it on console.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
NA eshop

7PL0AGR.png

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zer0Ranger is top 5 in my list for all time greats and number 1 in original STGs since 2010. I feel for the developer not having had more success with the game than what they are currently having with it. Even Dunky shilling for it didn't push that many more copies. I hope that more people discover it down the road and that the developers get the success that they deserve one day for making a game with so much heart.

There's a big update for the game coming soon. Hopefully this will give it some legs.

Also Rolling Gunner is getting an update as well. I've been playing this recently. I bought a copy a while back but never installed it on my PC because I couldn't find my external disc drive.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they"ll finally release the Zer0ranger soundtrack too. This 0ranger needs Cipolla Nero as lossless flac file.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any notable STGs making their way to PC anytime soon. I've seen a lot of M2 published games being released on console, but sadly none of them have made their way to the platform yet. I can't even really recall the last major release.

On that note I feel like Taito needs to release some more of their classics on PC. I've been itching to play a proper version of RayForce. I also never had the chance to play any version of RayStorm either. If I ever stumble upon a dumb amount of capital I will personally fund a flood of Shmups to all platforms.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Hoping that rolling gunner overpower dlc thingy is coming to the pc version too.

That third party port of Deathsmiles 2 maaaay be coming to pc, platforms weren't announced yet.

Dezatopia is coming soon, formerly momoiro underground, from the mecha ritz devs.

Really looking forward to Star Hunter, the new game from the space moth devs, 1ccgames

Mogisho looks like it'll be good, but that still seems a long way off being done, the guy decided to start from scratch again - https://twitter.com/ThirdKeyOfSun

I feel like I've forgotten a couple of games that looked good, I'll come back if I remember later.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any notable STGs making their way to PC anytime soon. I've seen a lot of M2 published games being released on console, but sadly none of them have made their way to the platform yet. I can't even really recall the last major release.

The last major release was probably Devil Engine or Vasara Collection but there are tons of demos and doujin games dropping all the time.

Jamestown+ might end up being the next big release, it's finally leaving PS4 and coming to PC and Switch soon. There's also the Devil Engine update, Ignition, due by the end of the year IIRC.

Cotton Reboot's coming to PC next year, as is the new shmup/adventure hybrid from G.rev, Yurukill. R-Type Final 2 will also be released on PC whenever that's done, Zeroranger's getting more content IIRC, and so on.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
On that note I feel like Taito needs to release some more of their classics on PC. I've been itching to play a proper version of RayForce. I also never had the chance to play any version of RayStorm either. If I ever stumble upon a dumb amount of capital I will personally fund a flood of Shmups to all platforms.

According to wiki, a Windows 95 version of RayStorm was released!

Being a shmup fan rubs you up against the worst of platform and region exclusivity. Maddening that Cave decided that the physical discs for the Japanese 360 was the only platform they'd port their latter games to. I'll always be happy to pay for shmups, but so many publishers make this either too hard or impossible to do. God bless emulators, huh.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the reason you probably don't want to imply you would turn to piracy here.

I actually used a Japanese 360 as my main console for most of my time in that generation. US releases were almost never locked out of it; the only two titles I ever played that I couldn't on the J360 were Deathsmiles US (so I just kept playing the Japanese one) and 1 vs. 100 (still the best thing Microsoft has ever done in video gaming).

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Monolith - Relics of the Past, release date Dec 25, fresh trailer:

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow.... I didn't know Sturmwind got a STEAM release recently. I've been wanting to play this game for years.

it's also getting a switch release.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Psyvariar Delta is 40%off on Switch, 15EUR and change, should I bite? I've owned Complete on PS2 but never played it but I enjoyed PV2 on Dreamcast although that was during the great shmups famine so I took almost everything and playing it on DC made every STG better for me at the time lol, dunno if you guys can relate but it was just special to keep getting those DC releases from JPN :D

I still haven't bought Devil Engine and Rolling Gunner tho, I mean almost all of my fav STGs are still missing on Switch and those that are there have been released with little care (TATE, possibly with controller orientation/scanlines with no blur filter/Online&friends leaderboards are my MUST HAVE features).

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Store page is up and contradicting release date mentioned in the trailer, oh well ...

Oct 27, 2017
last week icarus posted a new special demonstration with plasmo clearing pink sweets

I've kinda fallen off the face of the earth as far as practice goes since there's been so many other games taking priority over progear/muchi muchi pork, but this vid makes me want to get some runs in on pink sweets.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have any particularly deep insights--I played the DC version briefly years ago, didn't care for it and haven't touched the new one--but it seemed okay if you're into Soldner-X or that style of modern euroshmup. It absolutely smoked the NGDEV crap, I'll give it that.

Deleted member 58832

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'm all over that Monolith expansion.

Anyone know what the hold up is on Devil Engine Ignition? I'd like to play it while holding a candle for Blue Revolver Double Action...

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
These past couple of days, I played through some DOS Shoot'emups: Raptor Call of the Shadows and Stargunner. Both were pretty solid IMO and thankfully they could be played with a mouse.
I played DotEmu's '2015 edition' of the game that had mouse control support but the mouse control had issues though I just needed to get accustomed to it during missions.
My major gripe with them though, is that they are both 20+ missions long, and going by at a few youtube playthroughs, means it akes more than 1 hour to beat either game XP

To be fair, considering the platform they were being released on, it is understandable why they were that lengthy, but nowadays it comes off as being too long for its own good.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Have they said anything about a discount for owners of the original? I remember reading they were considering something like that but didnt say anything definitive.

From one of their Steam posts:

"ICYMI - Jamestown+ (enhanced re-release) is coming to Steam later this year! Owners of the original version of Jamestown will be cut in on a sweet deal - we can't announce the details just yet, but we'll be offering Jamestown+ at a sharp discount for owners of the original game."

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Oh wow.... I didn't know Sturmwind got a STEAM release recently. I've been wanting to play this game for years.

it's also getting a switch release.

I'll get this on Steam then. I've wanted to play this for years as well.

Many years ago, Sturmwind started out as an R-TYPE-inspired game/demo called Native for Atari Jaguar and/or Jaguar CD.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying these two a lot:

Really fun and well crafted!

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I wonder what would be widely considered the absolute best free indie/doujin shooters? Like Crimson Clover, which gets the deserved hype everywhere but actually free?

Also is it ok to not having much fun with Blazing Star? I like the graphics and the sound and in theory it should be a cool game but there's something I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the meta of enemies getting in your face all the time while having to charge attacks.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to get my controller working with it. Does it even have support?
Xinput? I assume something that old wouldn't support it.

Also as far as freeware shmups go, I remember that x.x Game Room games were supposed to be pretty good heavily CAVE-inspired STGs, although I haven't tried them in ages. Especially since now we have Crimson Clover and actual CAVE ports on PC.

GhostSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Toaplan, USA
Also is it ok to not having much fun with Blazing Star? I like the graphics and the sound and in theory it should be a cool game but there's something I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the meta of enemies getting in your face all the time while having to charge attacks.

I played through Blazing Star maybe four months ago and I had the same complaint about the charge attacks. It just wasn't fun to play. That final boss though, lol.

deadpixels

Oct 30, 2017
Newark, Delaware
Pretty happy to have recently added this little guy to the PCB collection. While Raiden 1 & 2 are solid titles in their own right, really love just how manic Raiden Fighters is in comparison. From the pumping hard electro soundtrack to the overall faster and more ferocious speed, Seibu Kaihatsu really outdid themselves with this sequel. Gonna have some fun putting this one through the paces before it leaves my Capcom Q25.

75339687_752290975270770_1252589880022663168_n.jpg

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Strictly Limited Games just announced that they are localizing the Darius Cozmic Collection. Pre-orders go up November 24th. There are three editions (because of course there are).

Details available here.

Note that the Arcade and Console editions seem to be equivalent to the two digital releases that Japan got, though the console version has a couple additions not found in the Japanese version: Darius Plus, the US version of Darius Force, and the US (Genesis) version of Darius II. The Arcade version has what I'd consider the essential titles, whereas the Console edition has various odds and ends, console ports, and some console exclusive games. The special edition includes both, but I'm unsure whether they're all on one cart as in the original Japanese special edition, or if you are getting two separate carts.

What I'm trying to figure out is if the two CDs that come with the special edition, namely

• Arrange Album Omnibus I – Generation (1997)
  • Arrange Album Omnibus II – Union (2019)

Are the same as those included with the Japanese release.

Edit: the Japanese special edition only came with Omnibus II, not I. So that's another addition here. The Amazon exclusive CD seems entirely absent from this SLG release.

I already have the original special edition release so I don't see any reason to double dip, but anyone with a passing interest in Darius who missed out on the Japanese release should check this out. It's one of my favorite shmup collections ever.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
From memory, those CDs line up with the ones released for the Japanese version.

The console collection actually has a few games that aren't present in the Japanese version: Darius Plus for PC Engine, plus the overseas versions of Darius Force (Super Nova) and Darius II MD (Sagaia).

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
From memory, those CDs line up with the ones released for the Japanese version.

The console collection actually has a few games that aren't present in the Japanese version: Darius Plus for PC Engine, plus the overseas versions of Darius Force (Super Nova) and Darius II MD (Sagaia).
Good catch. Darius Plus is a neat addition. Do you know if the alternate region versions of Darius Force and Darius II MD have any significant differences?

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I remember about Iridion 3D on the GBA is that thanks to the tiny screen and tiny bullets it was impossible to accurately tell depth of enemy fire which led to a lot of cheap hits. I hear Iridion 2 was better, but I never gave it a chance.

I'm amazed to see essentially unaltered GBA games on Steam, and also that Majesco is still around to publish them.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
M2 announced at a joint event with TATSUJIN, the current Toaplan IP holder they will be porting Toaplan's games to home consoles (FINALLY!!) with the goal of eventually porting over their entire library. This is the most exciting shmup related news I've heard in a long time, been hoping and waiting for years that the Toaplan IPs would finally get perfect modern ports.