• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
You have to play so aggressive in ESP. If you let the bigger enemies live for more than a second the screen instantly becomes filled with bullets between the aggressive bullet patterns and nonstop popcorn enemies. You have go right up to the bigger enemies and use you secondary shot as soon as they appear. Movement is weird too. You fly so much faster when you're not shooting it's actually jarring.
Sounds awesome. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Oct 27, 2017
You have to play so aggressive in ESP. If you let the bigger enemies live for more than a second the screen instantly becomes filled with bullets between the aggressive bullet patterns and nonstop popcorn enemies. You have go right up to the bigger enemies and use you secondary shot as soon as they appear. Movement is weird too. You fly so much faster when you're not shooting it's actually jarring.
you move faster when you tap the shot button instead of holding it down as well, which is usually what I do when I need to make a quick/abrupt movement.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
To those of you who already own ESP Ra.De. Psi on Switch, do you have any recommendations for configuration? I'm gonna be trying to decipher Japanese menu options without accidentally screwing things up for myself, so any prior advice would be welcome.

Also, is there any way to enable some of those nice M2 "gadgets" in TATE mode? The top/bottom empty letterboxes in this shot seem like they could be put to use with gadgets.

p1011683.original.jpg

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
To those of you who already own ESP Ra.De. Psi on Switch, do you have any recommendations for configuration? I'm gonna be trying to decipher Japanese menu options without accidentally screwing things up for myself, so any prior advice would be welcome.

Also, is there any way to enable some of those nice M2 "gadgets" in TATE mode? The top/bottom empty letterboxes in this shot seem like they could be put to use with gadgets.

p1011683.original.jpg

Beautiful picture. The menus are translated here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful picture. The menus are translated here.
Thanks. I was aware of that translation post, but I was more asking whether or not there are certain menu options that I should be enabling/disabling as a generally agreed upon preference for the game.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like gadgets in vertical mode are mentioned anywhere.

Thanks. I was aware of that translation post, but I was more asking whether or not there are certain menu options that I should be enabling/disabling as a generally agreed upon preference for the game.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like gadgets in vertical mode are mentioned anywhere.

You can display a fairly sizable amount of statistics (gadgets) to fill the top and bottom screen in TATE mode, but I don't believe they're as robust as in horizontal mode. At least, it is when playing in docked TATE.

I wouldn't know how robust they are, though, since I've only played TATE with this game.
It's an option within the screen settings menu, after rotation.

Last edited:

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I like playing with the hitbox indicator on but other than that I leave everything on default since I want to have as close to the arcade experience as possible.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So in arcade mode it seems that I can only input a maximum of four credits. Any way to change that? Or would I have to go to Custom mode to do so?

God DAMN do I wish this game was in English. There are SO menu things I don't understand, and there's no translation online for anything other than the main menu items.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
You get more credits as you play the game and get game overs. Also the switch pro controller is bad for shmups, thank goodness I have my 8bitdo.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Arcade and Arcade Plus are essentially the same except you can't milk the bosses for points as much in Arcade Plus, no real difference between the two if you're not playing for score.

Arcade Challenge is a training mode where stages are split up into specific setpieces and you have to go through them a certain number of times without dying to clear them. It's a good way to practice if you don't want to bother with save states.

Arcade Osarai is weird but essentially it goes through your deaths from previous playthroughs and makes you play through them in order to improve. I haven't really bothered with it.

Esper room is a mini game where you decorate the room of a chibi version of the cast using points gained from arcade challenge.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade and Arcade Plus are essentially the same except you can't milk the bosses for points as much in Arcade Plus, no real difference between the two if you're not playing for score.

Arcade Challenge is a training mode where stages are split up into specific setpieces and you have to go through them a certain number of times without dying to clear them. It's a good way to practice if you don't want to bother with save states.

Arcade Osarai is weird but essentially it goes through your deaths from previous playthroughs and makes you play through them in order to improve. I haven't really bothered with it.

Esper room is a mini game where you decorate the room of a chibi version of the cast using points gained from arcade challenge.
Thanks. That's very helpful.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Well, today I died a lot in stage 1, although I'm starting to learn more about it to get better items and if possible, score

I could had a much better run, but my greed for the medal combo made me suffer a really dumb death

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone figure out what the Sparta mode in Arcade Challenge for ESP Ra.De. is? I get that it disables your shield, but it also keeps rewinding me seemingly at random even without me dying.

Anyone figure out what the Sparta mode in Arcade Challenge for ESP Ra.De. is? I get that it disables your shield, but it also keeps rewinding me seemingly at random even without me dying.

It runs you through the place where you died three times for the trickier sections - the other option is only once.
Once you've successfully made it through three times, you can press on!

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
City Connection's already handling a Deathsmiles 1 & 2 collection, so those are two less games for M2 to worry about.

Hope deathsmiles 2 gets a proper arcade version port and isn't just based on the xbox360 version that rushed arcade mode at the last moment.
I run the PC arcade dump and it is a fun short shmup though it runs better on AMD cards due to the arcade hardware that was based on an integrated ATI card.
Very good music and some original stages and bosses but not as good as ds1 and shorter and easier too

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA

p1011683.original.jpg

Holy shit, I never knew you could orient the screen on the controllers like that! Awesome.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017

Well, today I died a lot in stage 1, although I'm starting to learn more about it to get better items and if possible, score

I could had a much better run, but my greed for the medal combo made me suffer a really dumb death

Yep, that's what happens when you start to really go for the medals; the 2nd stage blimp bullet streams can block you from picking up everything.

I usually try not to stay in the middle and just stay a little to the side while shooting at the blimp.

If this starts to be too much of a problem, one strat you can do is this:
- As soon as stage 2 starts, let the first 2 planes hit you.
- After dying, your ship will be invincible for a second or two; use the invincibility to collect all the medals that drop more easily, and then focus your fire on the blimp.

When you die, you get an additional chunk of bomb fragments that you can then use on the birds to get more points. With good positioning and timing you will start to get an extend (1UP) right after the birds.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't even know the game was localized as Bells & Whistles and that it had a combined ground+air shots instead of two separate buttons.

Anyway Detana!! Twinbee is great release, I appreciate that they've began allowing for rapid fire in High Score mode, simply putting a flag RF ON/OFF next to a score, but disappointed that once again you can't play High Score mode in Tate, so far only a handful releases support that (like Donkey Kong for example).

Also I don't get why it fucks up the aspect ratio squashing the image when you go Tate rotating 90° and that you need to adjust it yourself... it's weird, if anything it's usually the yoko mode that gets squashed aspect ratio to fill more screen estate... lol it doesn't make sense. Anyway you can just fix it yourself.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that's what happens when you start to really go for the medals; the 2nd stage blimp bullet streams can block you from picking up everything.

I usually try not to stay in the middle and just stay a little to the side while shooting at the blimp.

If this starts to be too much of a problem, one strat you can do is this:
- As soon as stage 2 starts, let the first 2 planes hit you.
- After dying, your ship will be invincible for a second or two; use the invincibility to collect all the medals that drop more easily, and then focus your fire on the blimp.

When you die, you get an additional chunk of bomb fragments that you can then use on the birds to get more points. With good positioning and timing you will start to get an extend (1UP) right after the birds.

One thing that I dont get is that I have seen lots of superplays where players intentionally die a lot. Is there a reason for this?

Last edited:

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that I dont get is that I have seen lots of superplays where players intentionally die a lpt. Is there a reason for this?
Yes there is. Battle Garegga is kind of infamous for this.

The rank is always climbing for a plethora of reasons. You have various ways to prevent your rank from going up too fast, but the only thing that decreases it, is losing a life.

By doing this, high level players use various mechanics to score more points that give them more lives, and they use those lives to suicide and keep rank at a manageable level.
Otherwise the game would reach a rank level that would end up making it impossible to get through.
The enemies would get way too agressive and have way too much health.

Let's take stage 2 for example.
In this stage superplayers that use the Gain ship usually do an insanely cool trick.

So, if you suicide, not only do you reduce rank, but you also get more bomb stock.
The bomb stock is very important to get more points from the birds right?
What they do is:
- Suicide up their last life at the start of stage 2.
- Bomb the castle and the birds with 2 full bombs.
- While the score counter is racing towards 1.000.000 (their first 1UP) they suicide again!

And you ask. Wait, if they didn't have any lives left, how can he suicide before they have another 1UP?

That's because in Garegga, the "Game Over" message takes a few seconds to show up, and in those few seconds, the score counter goes over 1.000.000 and the player receives another 1UP and more bomb stock to use on the birds!

Check it out.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It can definitely be fun when you learn to use it to your advantage. In muchi muchi pork (another Yagawa game) rank doesn't climb nearly as quickly as it does in the bat trilogy/ibara, but since you have a max life stock of 5 lives it forces you to use bombs for scoring opportunities so you can suicide before the next extend to replenish bomb stock. Otherwise if you trigger another extend with 5 lives in stock you basically just wasted the extend and increased rank.

it's part of the reason muchi muchi pork is in my top 3 favorite CAVE/YGW games and now it makes me want to go home and play it lol

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Tried a handful of credits of Aka & Blue Type-R; unfortunately my setup is a little janky right now and my controls are four feet to the left of the screen, so I'm not doing very well.

Looks like the bread and butter of the game is grazing to charge the bomb meter, then using the fully charged bomb projectile to bullet cancel, which generates medals and bomb meter refills. The red ship looks much easier to do this with as the bomb always fires straight ahead, while on the blue ship the bomb is aimed to the opposite direction you are moving.

More in depth impressions are going to have to wait until Sunday, when I'll have help cobbling together a sane input setup.

Oct 27, 2017
Tried a handful of credits of Aka & Blue Type-R; unfortunately my setup is a little janky right now and my controls are four feet to the left of the screen, so I'm not doing very well.

Looks like the bread and butter of the game is grazing to charge the bomb meter, then using the fully charged bomb projectile to bullet cancel, which generates medals and bomb meter refills. The red ship looks much easier to do this with as the bomb always fires straight ahead, while on the blue ship the bomb is aimed to the opposite direction you are moving.

More in depth impressions are going to have to wait until Sunday, when I'll have help cobbling together a sane input setup.
jealous and glad to hear some impressions. I saw someone post the exa components to instagram, and I had to search for a price to see if I wanted to bite

and....yea lol

guess it's not too far off of saidaoujou pricing

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, today I had 2 runs that I considered worthy of bring up

The first one I linked how flawlessly I played on great part of the 1st stage, I even managed to reach 290k points, when mostly I get like 240-270k. I also did great most of the part, but on the second half of the 2nd stage I screwed up some things, also, I really don't know how to play with the big yellow bullets pattern from the boss.

On the second video, I didn't reach a high score like the first game, but did good use of a mistake to get more bombs and use it to score a higher score bombing the flamingos. I still feel like I'm not shooting at the right time the bomb to trigger the flamingos, and also when the flamingos start flying. Also, I fucked up against the same bullet pattern from the boss, I feel like the yellow ball bullets are not hard to dodge, but the pink bullets are fucking my movement

Anyway, I haven't reached stage 3 yet, but I like how slowly I'm starting to plan more how to play the 1st and 2nd stages

warp

Banned
Jan 11, 2020
i still cant 1cc battle garegga after playing it on and off (with really long breaks) over a period of 3 years someone send help

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Wow this was by far my best run ever, both from an score and survival point of view

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I really want Ibara Kuro to get ported, even just vanilla Ibara I'd take. Just sad that the only console port of the game has blurry visuals. It's the one Cave game that needs an updated port in my eyes, well either that or Progear, but personally I like Ibara Kuro better. I've only played it via emulation but it's an awesome, action-packed shmup IMO.

ibarablk_c.png
ibarablk08.png

Oct 27, 2017
not only is it blurry but all the slowdown was removed from Ibara ps2 too
makes it not worth playing and there's no reason it should command its $150+ price tag.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I really want Ibara Kuro to get ported, even just vanilla Ibara I'd take. Just sad that the only console port of the game has blurry visuals. It's the one Cave game that needs an updated port in my eyes, well either that or Progear, but personally I like Ibara Kuro better. I've only played it via emulation but it's an awesome, action-packed shmup IMO.

ibarablk_c.png
ibarablk08.png

If you rip the og disc for Ibara there is a hex edit to make it 240p instead of 480i and it'll be super sharp. You can either burned the hex edited iso to a disc and play it on a modded ps2, or throw it onto a hard drive and play it off that with freemcboot.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
If you rip the og disc for Ibara there is a hex edit to make it 240p instead of 480i and it'll be super sharp. You can either burned the hex edited iso to a disc and play it on a modded ps2, or throw it onto a hard drive and play it off that with freemcboot.

Ah yes, thank you, I should dig up that burned disc I have somewhere. I tried it a couple of years ago, it definitely looked better but personally I thought the change was kinda minor. Plus that's only Ibara (vanilla), we really need a port of Ibara Kuro, it's way more of a Cave styled game than the original Ibara was.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I have the first Volume from Japan and it has a great collection of games on it. You can also buy I think at this point all of those games individually if you wanted digitally as well. I personally think the Alpha/Volume 1 collection is the better one, but that's just because I prefer the Strikers 1945 line to the Gunbirds and the other games in the second set. Plus I believe this release and the subsequent digital release for it may have been the first time Strikers 1945 III got a home release. (I mean technically there was an Android release but I don't count that) I did go ahead and pre-order the US release of the Volume 2 set though.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
How's Zero Gunner 2- these days? I loved the original but the crazy port/reprogramming scared me off and haven't seen much on the subsequent updates they did to fix stuff.

And Strikers 1945 III still isn't out here (US)?! Out of the collections I've just bought the games I've wanted but seems like I've been waiting on that one forever now.

Anyway not familiar with all the games, but both seem like decent collections (based on the ones I do know), if you like Psikyo's gameplay style at least. Gunbarich is pretty out of left field though, it's their take on a brick breaker (a la Arkanoid). I actually got the PCB way back and like it a lot, but it's not a shmup.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Is the Psikyo Shooting Stars a good compilation?
No idea. It'll be another 10 or so days before I receive my copies.

i still cant 1cc battle garegga after playing it on and off (with really long breaks) over a period of 3 years someone send help
You could always try the Premium mode on the PS4 release.

Quoting myself from a few months back.

Speak of the devil. My copy of Battle Garegga (PS4) just arrived via LRG.

Even though I've been garbage at Garegga for decades, somehow I managed to 1CC Premium mode on my first try.
When I get some time, I'll have to read up on all of the differences between Premium and Original.

wtBrec1.jpg

Last edited:

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still getting wrecked on late stage 5 and the turret wall on stage 6 of Garegga.
Mistakes galore.

Also trying out some streaming\recording setup tweaks.

Last edited: