• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on the anime. Enjoying these sections more than I did in the manga, though maybe it's just seen they are flying through it. The current ED is the first one I don't really like though. Hayama heel turn is still kind of weak, but I am willing to forgive.

Food Wars 265
What a shift. Soma and Megumi going to solve a mystery is hilarious. Keeping up with the Megumi narration is good too.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017

i've liked the article. it was about the way abuse is shown in the show. i wasn't aware of how well they do it there, but the writer of the article, who compares it to her own experience, breaks it down and says that it's pretty close.

Gonna take a guess and assume this is about Nikumi? And how she empathized with Erina and stuff? Will check it out later, but just curious right now.

actually it's about Erina

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. Huh. She's the most sexualized character according to the article? Weird... But okay, should be an interesting read.
I was gonna say "what are you talking about?", then I read the link/headline again and was confused because that's actually never written in the article proper.

Anyway, interesting article. Didn't realize Erina's personality/behaviour were written that realistically.
I certainly appreciated the fact that Erina wasn't 'saved' by Soma and the Polar Star gang but instead helped her save herself.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I was gonna say "what are you talking about?", then I read the link/headline again and was confused because that's actually never written in the article proper.

Anyway, interesting article. Didn't realize Erina's personality/behaviour were written that realistically.
I certainly appreciated the fact that Erina wasn't 'saved' by Soma and the Polar Star gang but instead helped her save herself.
Oh, huh. Well, I guess I'm glad to know that's not in the article? Since I would disagree with the notion that she's the most sexualized character in the series.

That reminds me of Uraraka. Unlike other characters who are moved by another character into changing, e.g. Shoto helped Momo, Deku helped Shoto, Iida by Stain and the rest of the Hosu Trio, etc., her changes often, if not always came from within herself.

It's just done much better and is more obvious here since Erina's the deuteragonist, unlike Uraraka.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me of Uraraka. Unlike other characters who are moved by another character into changing, e.g. Shoto helped Momo, Deku helped Shoto, Iida by Stain and the rest of the Hosu Trio, etc., her changes often, if not always came from within herself.
Just like copying All Might is bad for Deku, Copying Deku is bad for Uraraka, I actually like how she is being slowly developed but most people are impatient with her and want a fast development arc instead. Kinda just Erina, many people hated her at first, but if there is one good thing about the central arc is her development wasn't rushed.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Just like copying All Might is bad for Deku, Copying Deku is bad for Uraraka, I actually like how she is being slowly developed but most people are impatient with her and want a fast development arc instead. Kinda just Erina, many people hated her at first, but if there is one good thing about the central arc is her development wasn't rushed.
Yup. Thanks for pointing that out before, haha. Otherwise, I would've remained as one of those people unsatisfied with her development.

I never disliked Erina cause it was pretty clear to me from the very beginning what they were gonna do with her character, but I agree. Her development's easily the best part of this whole Central saga. It's definitely my favorite.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that's the same as wanting a "fast development arc", but ok

Oct 25, 2017
were at over 260 chapters, of course people would be impatient, people dont want another BLeach length manga on their hands to get Yoruichi tier developments.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that the Central arc has literally been half the manga (started at chapter 133 with the introduction of Azami). And this was also the point where Erina's development really started and it kind of was the main character arc of this whole thing. So it's not character development only happened in the latest few chapters.

And since Blackleg-sanji1 likes this so much apparently: The difference between Erina's development and Uraraka's is pretty big. For one, they have very different roles in their respective stories, despite both being also the "main love interest".
Erina was introduced at the very beginning but wasn't really much of a 'side character' in the sense that she was part of the main gang. She was more the end-game rival/goal character that made the occasional appearance to show her stuff and to have character moments with Soma. Also some amusing behind-the-scene appearances with the Shoujo-manga and things, to, I guess, make her more likable. When the Central arc started she pretty much moved into the spotlight and stayed there.

Uraraka is a character that was pushed into the 'main party' from the beginning and had some great moments, but then they kind of fizzled out a little. She was introduced in a way that made you think she was going to be a core character around Deku along with Iida. Compared to Erina she had way more presence from the beginning, but her achievements kind of aren't what they should be considering her status. But then again, I can't remember the last time Iida did something major either, so maybe them being 'core characters' was just a wrong impression and they're actually just B-tier side characters and get the appropriate screentime, like Nikumi in Soma.
I know that Iida wasn't even present in the last arc so it's kind of unfair. I've also said before that with Horkikoshi being sick and the last half of the Yakuza are being a mess on various levels I'm gonna have to wait until the next big arc to see if it was perhaps only an outlier or if it was indeed what to expect going forward.

Feel free to continue this in the MHA thread, but I also kind of don't want to argue about (the MHA part of) this comparison, because this discussion has been had millions of times already.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I never disliked Erina cause it was pretty clear to me from the very beginning what they were gonna do with her character, but I agree. Her development's easily the best part of this whole Central saga. It's definitely my favorite.
and I've always disliked Erina because it was pretty clear to me from the very beginning what they were going to do with her character.
But even back then I was expecting at least a bit more than a generic I'm a tsun because my daddy was mean to me redemption arc.

but if there is one good thing about the central arc is her development wasn't rushed.

you are correct, there was no rushing in the paint by numbers redemption arc at all @_@

To be fair in general it exceeded my expectations, as I never expected the author to handle things so poorly and design such a horrible and uninteresting character such as Erina's father to push that arc... but alas to make someone horrible look decent you gotta put them against someone even worse lol.

I will give him some credit though, at least she still seems to have some of her tsun in the current arc, far to often as soon as it comes out that a parent was mean to them they turn almost all dare overnight. (which was mostly the case wtih Erina for the second half of the last arc)

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
and I've always disliked Erina because it was pretty clear to me from the very beginning what they were going to do with her character.
But even back then I was expecting at least a bit more than a generic I'm a tsun because my daddy was mean to me arc.
I expected that response. You should read the article :p

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I expected that response. You should read the article :p
I glanced over it when it was first posted, mostly came off with... Awe someone hasn't seen enough anime series to realize that this is a completely generic and cliche redemption arc :P
Also, it's amazing how far some people will go to justify poor writing just because they like a character (mostly because she has a cute design :P As I still argue if Erina looked more like Big Ma from one piece there wouldn't be anyone defending her character :P)

but I mean the headline itself was a big loss of interest in what the author was saying as Erina is far from the most sexualized character in the series.

it's just shoddy writing to start off with a blatant lie.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I glanced over it when it was first posted, mostly came off with... Awe someone hasn't seen enough anime series to realize that this is a completely generic and cliche redemption arc :P
Also, it's amazing how far some people will go to justify poor writing just because they like a character (mostly because she has a cute design :P As I still argue if Erina looked more like Big Ma from one piece there wouldn't be anyone defending her character :P)

but I mean the headline itself was a big loss of interest in what the author was saying as Erina is far from the most sexualized character in the series.

it's just shoddy writing to start off with a blatant lie.
I don't know why this headline exists, because the article never actually says that.
As for the other things... Yeesh, you should really read the article.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why this headline exists, because the article never actually says that.
As for the other things... Yeesh, you should really read the article.
*sigh* fine I have nothing better to do
Instead of having each character lie flat and boring with nothing on their mind than becoming the world's greatest chef, each is developed delicately and thoughtfully throughout each season.

Completely disagree, the cast has traits about them but they are far from developed delicately and thoughtfully. Almost all of their backstories are fairly cliche with no real twist to them. It doesn't make them bad, but they are far from thoughtfully done.

long write up about how they were able to relate with the story arc and add way more depth than is there because they could draw on their own personal experiences.
see above

I mean the actual write up about trauma itself is interesting enough, but the vast majority of the stuff in that article is being added by the author and not really in the series in any sort of deep way. And pretty much all the positive things can be seen in most other anime with a tsundare redemption arc as the stuff they are commenting on is just the generic path the daddy was mean to me tsundare redemption arc goes down, and if they watched more anime they would likely see it in plenty of other series as well.

Food Wars could have easily turned each of its characters into lifeless sex objects and approached the topic of abuse in a much more offensive way. Instead, it makes it digestible and realistic for everyone
I also mostly disagree here. A lot of this isn't realistic especially once we learn that her father should be in jail for sex crimes due to his habit of stripping people when he likes food. It goes over the top quite a few times, and her father is about as realistic as a person as a wet paper towel makes for a good conversation buddy. But I will at least agree that it could have been done in a more offensive way, as I have seen it done in a more offensive way.

I quite enjoy Soma as a series, but it's not remotely a series with deep and thoughtful characters with well defined pasts and thoughtfully done character growth. If I wanted that I would instead be rereading something like Nana.

it's fine if people find that stuff in here and want to fill in the gaping holes with their own thoughts and experiences, but the series as a whole doesn't really handle character growth well.

I will admit my glance glossed over most of the author's personal talk about trauma, and I am happy they could find things to enjoy in the arc and to relate to. My childhood was far from abuse free and boy did I not find much to relate to in the arc.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
But even back then I was expecting at least a bit more than a generic I'm a tsun because my daddy was mean to me redemption arc.
Noted.
So who is btw, is it that dude w/ the apron, Nikumi, or someone I don't remember
Ah, shit. Forgot about Isshiki. Hmm. Honestly not sure between the two of them. Maybe they're both the first seat for that.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had forgotten to watch the latest anime episode but man I love Jouichiro's backstory so much. It's some tragic "too good for your own good" shit like Aomine in Kuroko. Sucker for that stuff.