• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
We did one with Kanye songs, now here's one for shonen anime.

iIL23Us.jpg

My friend linked me to this a few minutes ago. I knee jerk said Yu Yu Hakusho because it's one of my favorite anime of all time, but its still fun going through the brackets.

What takes each block for you? For me its My Hero (Runner Up: Gintama), JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Runner-Up: One Punch Man I guess), Yu Yu Hakusho (Runner-Up: Rurouni Kenshin), and Hunter x Hunter (Runner-Up: Diamond is Unbreakable).

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Is that really a difficult comparison? If we're talking straight anime HxH knocks Naruto out easy. Superior animation, better pacing, better plotting.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Glancing at it, they already messed up by not allowing HxH vs YYH in the finales. Because really, it's one of those two (and really, it's HxH).

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The hardest parts of this is choosing HxH or Jojo4 and Super or Stardust Crusaders. Regardless, it's either Jojo4 or HxH that takes it all.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
*sees Dragon Ball vs. JoJo.....twice*
*sees Dragon Ball vs. Yu Yu Hakusho*

Don't do this to me.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As that's talking about anime and not the manga themselves, some choices are different for me. For example, when talking about the anime, Hero Academia beats One Piece.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
As that's talking about anime and not the manga themselves, some choices are different for me. For example, when talking about the anime, Hero Academia beats One Piece.

Accurate. Also, controversial opinion: I never much liked Dragon Ball like that, so actually Black Clover beats it in manga format. But in anime Black Clover's pacing is a fucking mess so Dragon Ball wins easily.

Who sent Nisekoi to die like that?

Yeah I laughed. I don't fuck with One Piece like that and it still won.

*sees Dragon Ball vs. JoJo.....twice*
*sees Dragon Ball vs. Yu Yu Hakusho*

Don't do this to me.

....Boy if you don't...

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In sales yes, but not quality.

I dunno about that, they may be thematically richer but neither begin to compare in terms of status, longevity or general enjoyment. Dragon Ball is the hypest shit ever. It is far and away the most iconic manga or anime out there ever. Got grown ass adults still fiending for more 30 years later. Meanwhile, I ain't checking for another Yu Yu Hakusho, that show was dope, but it doesn't measure up, and neither does JoJo even though that's dope too if a little too eclectic at times for my tastes.

Are you basing this purely on the quality of animation? Personal preference and all, but I don't know anyone can even think MHA is remotely close to One Piece. It's a less shittier Inhumans if we being real about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at Shaman King vs YuGiOh. Does Shippuden even beat Saint Seiya?
I dunno about that, they may be thematically richer but neither begin to compare in terms of icon status, longevity or general enjoyment. Dragon Ball is the hypest shit ever. Got grown ass adults still fiending for more 30 years later. Meanwhile, I ain't checking for another Yu Yu Hakusho, that show was dope, but it doesn't measure up, and neither does JoJo even though that's dope too.
I don't care about hype or nostalgia all I'm talking about are written narratives. People still enjoy DBZ because it's dumb fun, but everyone knows it's for the most part written horribly.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
It's harder for me if we are talking about anime since I don't watch most of them.

Based purely on original sources though, I would put HxH against Hikaru no GO in the end. (And HxH would come out a winner no doubt.)

Although Hikaru no GO made everyone in my school start learning to play Go when it was still running.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about that, they may be thematically richer but neither begin to compare in terms of icon status, longevity or general enjoyment. Dragon Ball is the hypest shit ever. Got grown ass adults still fiending for more 30 years later. Meanwhile, I ain't checking for another Yu Yu Hakusho, that show was dope, but it doesn't measure up, and neither does JoJo even though that's dope too.

Are you basing this purely on the quality of animation? Personal preference and all, but I don't know anyone can even think MHA is remotely close to One Piece. It's a less shittier Inhumans if we being real about it.
I love One Piece, but the anime, especially in the last few years is just atrocious. And that's not only animations issues.
The pacing of the anime is completely crap, some scenes are terribly directed. And, of course, the animation is just the cherry on top.

And while we're comparing plot of shounens, I can't see how you consider MHA's so much below One Piece's. Again, I love what Oda is doing, but come the hell on. If we were talking about the manga, OP would win it easily. But the anime, all things considered, is terrible compared to MHA.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Quick and dirty. Some of these match-ups were tough and the last one tears me up inside:
HlOyhqL.png

Edit: Whoops, missed that HxH beats DIU.
Double Edit: Second mistake cause I did this super quick, One Piece > MHA, but it wouldn't have mattered the following round.

Last edited:

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
One Piece would be infinitely better if going the seasonal route was an option for long-running shounen, but even with all the filler and Toei being Toei when it comes to where they put all their animation budget, One Piece still beats MHA. The pacing in the first two seasons has been slow, mostly to hit specific story arc points.

Plus, One Piece absolutely blows MHA out of the water when it comes to story build up and character arcs.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So yea, HxH definitely wins this whole thing if were only talking anime adaptations.

One Piece would be infinitely better if going the seasonal route was an option for long-running shounen, but even with all the filler and Toei being Toei when it comes to where they put all their animation budget, One Piece still beats MHA. The pacing in the first two seasons has been slow, mostly to hit specific story arc points.

Plus, One Piece absolutely blows MHA out of the water when it comes to story build up and character arcs.

This.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at Shaman King vs YuGiOh. Does Shippuden even beat Saint Seiya?

I don't care about hype or nostalgia all I'm talking about are written narratives. People still enjoy DBZ because it's dumb fun, but everyone knows it's for the most part written horribly.

Fuck all that. Sales are the only thing DBZ could ever compete with Yu Yu on. I'd trade everything we got of DBZ PLUS whatever's coming next for just an redo of YYH with HD animation. And half the shows on this list can get the fuck out if it meant I got a sequel lol.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quick and dirty. Some of these match-ups were tough and the last one tears me up inside:
HlOyhqL.png
We share similar tastes. I would make Haikyuu advance all the way to the quarterfinals, Kenshin to the Semis and have Gintama beat Jojo and up barely winning over Hunter x Hunter to take it all.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither is Golden Boy, who made this dumb thing? How was it even seeded?

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck all that. Sales are the only thing DBZ could ever compete with Yu Yu on. I'd trade everything we got of DBZ PLUS whatever's coming next for just an redo of YYH with HD animation. And half the shows on this list can get the fuck out if it meant I got a sequel lol.
As long as they don't mess up the art style. Nobody in here wants moe looking Keiko and Shizuru. I'd still want maximum effort in the drawing, no CGI dragon of the darkness flame. And yeah I agree DBZ is a sales juggernaut because it's just more appealing to the masses, but man YYH brings the hype just as well if not better in some ways.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Neither is Golden Boy, who made this dumb thing? How was it even seeded?

lol man I don't know. Don't be that guy.

As long as they don't mess up the art style. Nobody in here wants moe looking Keiko and Shizuru. I'd still want maximum effort in the drawing, no CGI dragon of the darkness flame. And yeah I agree DBZ is a sales juggernaut because it's just more appealing to the masses, but man YYH brings the hype just as well if not better in some ways.

Oh co-signed. But if we're looking back at adaptations of classic properties for the most part they're being done properly. A few are a bit weird like the new LoGH and Arslan Senki, but mostly it's been pretty much just better looking versions of 80's/90's era anime.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Really dfsagree with splitting up Jojo, Dragon Ball, and Naruto to be honest. Really gives other series an unfair chance. Also a good chunk of those have nothing to do with WSJ.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
All this complaining, ya'll could definitely make a bracket of your own lol. Personally I'd prefer it if this list were just shonen in general instead of just Shonen Jump. Magi getting no love right now 'cause no one knows what Shonen Sunday is.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All this complaining, ya'll could definitely make a bracket of your own lol. Personally I'd prefer it if this list were just shonen in general instead of just Shonen Jump. Magi getting no love right now 'cause no one knows what Shonen Sunday is.

It's ok, I support your cause

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think you give a bit too much credit to JoJo and Yu Yu Hakusho. They tried to do more but the reason people watched those series doesn't differ much from the reasons they watched Dragon Ball. There's quite a bit of overlap amongst the fanbases, and I've always appreciated Dragon Ball's characters for being so well defined and interesting that I could overlook its trivial storytelling. Opinions vary, but I don't think JoJo or YYH did enough in either the story or character department for me to consider the fact they tried to be more layered in story enough weight to supplant Dragon Ball.

You're missing a 'Z'

DBZ is the hypest.

Dragon Ball is the best, most consistent.

I love One Piece, but the anime, especially in the last few years is just atrocious. And that's not only animations issues.
The pacing of the anime is completely crap, some scenes are terribly directed. And, of course, the animation is just the cherry on top.

And while we're comparing plot of shounens, I can't see how you consider MHA's so much below One Piece's. Again, I love what Oda is doing, but come the hell on. If we were talking about the manga, OP would win it easily. But the anime, all things considered, is terrible compared to MHA.

No doubt, the animation has dipped horrifically over the past couple of years, but surely that alone isn't enough. I agree the pacing is terrible, but we're comparing 800+ episodes to, what, 40? When you consider the pacing and animation really weren't an issue until the last few years, I don't see how you can weigh everything in the One Piece anime against MHA and think it comes up short.

From a storytelling perspective, the voice acting, the music, design - I think One Piece just sweeps it. Even now.

But fair enough, I can see why you see it the way you do. Hell, I stopped messing with the anime consistently around episode 700 and only watch the only occasional episode here and there when I got nothing better to do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you give a bit too much credit to JoJo and Yu Yu Hakusho. They tried to more but the reason people watched those series doesn't differ much from the reasons they watched Dragon Ball. There's quite a bit of overlap amongst the fanbases, and I've always appreciated Dragon Ball's characters for being so well defined and interesting that I could overlook it's trivial storytelling. Opinions vary, but I don't think JoJo or YYH did enough in either the story or character department for me to consider the fact they tried to be more layered in story enough weight to supplant Dragon Ball.

DBZ is the hypest.

Dragon Ball is the best, most consistent.

No doubt, the animation has dipped horrifically over the past couple of years, but surely that alone isn't enough. I agree the pacing is terrible, but we're comparing 800+ episodes to, what, 40? When you consider the pacing and animation really weren't an issue until the last few years, I don't see how you can weigh everything in the One Piece anime against MHA and think it comes up short.

From a storytelling perspective, the voice acting, the music, design - I think One Piece just sweeps it. Even now.

But fair enough, I can see why you see it the way you do. Hell, I stopped messing with the anime consistently around episode 700 and only watch the only occasional episode here and there when I got nothing better to do.

Of course it is hard to compare 800 episodes to 24. The "first" hundreds episodes of One Piece were enjoyable enough. But from, what, Sabaody to today the episodes are just unbearable to watch(with some exceptions of course). They're going at 1 chapter or less per episode. That's absurdly slow! A chapter of a weekly manga simply wasn't made to be adapted 1:1 to a 20 minute TV show. When I watch a recent episode of MHA I don't want to kill myself, whereas I keep searching for the nearest window when I try to watch an episode of modern One Piece.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
HlOyhqL.png

Edit: Whoops, missed that HxH beats DIU.
Double Edit: Second mistake cause I did this super quick, One Piece > MHA, but it wouldn't have mattered the following round.
My bracket would probably look like this as well (maybe have Gintama beat Jojo's though). That said, some series got screwed by bad matchups round 1 like Haikyu and Naruto

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bracket is interesting cause some great ones get eliminated right off the bat.
Not gonna bother going through it all but final is One Piece vs Hunter X Hunter since they're both on opposite sides where they beat everything else. And HxH wins that for me.