• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
bQMAqPf.png

Welcome to the Official ResetERA Thread for Shonen Jump, the home of some of the world's most popular manga!

WHAT IS SHONEN JUMP?

"Weekly Shonen Jump" is a Japanese magazine in which are serialized many manga. There used to be an English "Weekly Shonen Jump" magazine as well but in December 2018, it was turned into a platform for individual chapters of manga serialized in the Japanese WSJ, as well as other select manga from other magazines, and as a result was rebranded as "Shonen Jump", releasing manga chapters on the same day as Japan for free.

HOW/WHERE/WHEN CAN I READ THESE MANGA CHAPTERS?

You can read the 3 latest chapters of Shonen Jump manga for free. In addition, the first 3 chapters of every manga are also available for free to give you a taste. For those in certain countries who have access to Viz Media's Shonen Jump Site/App, you can also pay a $2/month subscription to get access to the vault, where many manga are available in their entirety, including most of the currently-running series.*
*Exceptions are "Demon Slayer", "Act-Age" and "Jujutsu Kaisen". Chapters released prior to December 17th 2018 for those series are being backfilled as volumes come out.

You can read the latest chapters of manga here:

Viz/Shonen Jump (Website/iOS/Android): United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the Philippines, Singapore, and India

MangaPlus (Website/iOS/Android, offers Spanish chapters in adition to English): Worldwide, except Japan, Korea and China

For series published weekly in the Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump, chapters generally come out on Sundays (1pm PT/4pm ET/8pm GMT). Other series vary. You can always check the Chapter Schedule to see when your favorite series are coming out.

OKAY, WHAT CAN I ACTUALLY READ ON THIS SERVICE?

There are many series. Here are the current series that are serialized weekly and are from the main Japanese Shonen Jump, forming the core of the international service.

ESTABLISHED TITLES

ONE PIECE - 1997

t7injIml.jpg

HAIKYU!! - 2012
NZsR8FAl.jpg

MY HERO ACADEMIA - 2014
CuRuHp1l.jpg

BLACK CLOVER - 2015
QaiK8sCl.jpg

DEMON SLAYER: KIMETSU NO YAIBA - 2016
epMXVFEl.jpg

THE PROMISED NEVERLAND - 2016
MKnATPJl.jpg

WE NEVER LEARN - 2017
W14MhgSl.jpg

DR. STONE - 2017
t0e4Ucol.jpg

ACT-AGE - 2018
eEAII4hl.jpg

JUJUTSU KAISEN - 2018
gBwPazwl.jpg

CHAINSAW MAN - 2018
RlMj2lZl.jpg

NEWCOMERS (Note: These may get cancelled at any time, once we feel they're safe, we can move them up to the category above)

YUI KAMIO LETS LOOSE - 2019
TSdmuTSl.jpg

BEAST CHILDREN - 2019
r2Wk6Dzl.jpg

DOUBLE TAISEI - 2019
OrsR2d4l.jpg

SAMURAI 8: THE TALE OF HACHIMARU - 2019
ywhy0Znl.jpg

TOKYO SHINOBI SQUAD - 2019
dcwYxZXl.jpg

MISSION: YOZAKURA FAMILY - 2019
LSun7wjl.jpg

MITAMA SECURITY: SPIRIT BUSTERS - 2019
N9StJwIl.jpg

There are other series you can read on the service such as:
My Hero Academia: Vigilantes (Bi-Weekly)
Spy x Family (Bi-Weekly)
Blue Exorcist (Monthly)
World Trigger (Monthly)
Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign (Monthly)
One-Punch Man

SO WHAT CAN I ACTUALLY TALK ABOUT IN THIS THREAD?

You can discuss any of the aforementioned series, as well as anything else that you think fits. If it's published in the Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump or on the international Shonen Jump service, you can talk about it here. You can share impressions as you catch up or talk about the latest happenings

As soon as a chapter for a series comes out officially, you can discuss it here. You don't necessarily have to spoiler tag your thoughts but when discussing a series, make sure to type the title and bold it like so:

Manga X - Chapter Y
I liked this chapter a lot because
That allows people who don't read the series or aren't caught up and want to avoid spoilers to know not to read your post. Additionally, when quoting someone to discuss a series, make sure it's always clear what series is being discussed, either in the post you are quoting or in you're own (if the conversation goes past the post starting it) so that once again people can scroll by if trying to avoid spoilers.
Overall, you should just use your best judgement. Feel free to spoiler-tag if you feel something is very big.

WHAT ARE THE RULES HERE?
  • Do not, under any circumstance, share or discuss the contents of illegally released chapters. Regardless of whether they have been translated somewhere on the internet in English or not, you are not allowed to discuss them, even in spoiler-tags. If it has not been released officially, you cannot talk about it.
  • Be nice and respectful to each other
With all that said, I hope you enjoy discussing your favorite Shonen Jump series with others in this thread!!! If you have any recommendations for this post, do not hesitate to share them. I am far from an expert at this and am open to updating this OP.

ZbknYW3.jpg

R.I.P to those taken from us too soon:
Ne0;lation
Hell Warden Higuma
The Last Saiyuki
(Bonus Section

Why did you make this thread? We already have *insert thread*?
So yeah, I've thought about making a Shonen Jump OT for a while now. I know there are other manga threads, I'm active in multiple of them, including a general one but from what I've seen on the site and conversations I've participated in, I believe this one still has its place. Beyond wanting to have at least one thread on this site where people can feel comfortable coming in at any time of the week if they like to stick to the official release of SJ manga, I see this thread as a nice place for people who read multiple of the series in Shonen Jump like I do and like to follow and discuss Jump itself as a magazine/platform. The main inspiration for this thread is the ResetERA Toonami thread. Just as that thread has its place among Anime-specific threads and Seasonal Anime threads due to focusing on a particular broadcast, I hope with Shonen Jump's history, popularity, importance and release methods that this one too can have its place among the other manga threads on the site.)

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
THE RECOMMENDATION CORNER!

Hello and welcome to the recommendation corner. I love recommending manga to people so I'll indulge in that here! I like and enjoy all of the series that currently run in Weekly Shonen Jump (as well as some of the series in other magazines but I'll just focus on WSJ here). However, the following are series in that I'm particularly passionate about and consider to be among the best in the lineup and in very interesting places right now.

ONE PIECE - 1997
OEI9tnol.jpg

The saga of Monkey D. Luffy, the man who wants to conquer the Grand Line and be the freest man on the seas. Look, at this point you probably know that you should try One Piece eventually before you die so I don't really know what to add. It is truly excellent in terms of storytelling, character writing, art, worldbuilding and worth every minute of what it would take to read through all of it. Without a doubt, if you can only read one manga among the many that have been mentioned in this thread, I can say that you ought to make it this one. It is one of the most impressive storytelling efforts of our time and anyone, no matter their tastes, should give it a try.

HAIKYU!! - 2012
y204BMBl.jpg

The story of Karasuno, a high-school volleyball team trying to claw its way back to the top after years in the shadows. This one is a true sports great and changed my perspective on reading sports manga instead of just waiting for them to get anime adaptations. The author has an incredible ability to represent the most important of instants through his panels and make some of the most impactful spreads and page-turns I have ever seen. It's simply very fun and engaging to read. The characters in this have a passion and intensity that is contagious and will make you laugh and cry alongside them in their highs and lows, regardless of what side of the net they find themselves on.
(Note: I'm not actually caught up on this one yet, I'm a few dozen chapters behind so I can't personally vouch for it being in a "very interesting place right now" but I have no doubt that it is from rumblings I've heard)

BLACK CLOVER - 2015
2siEgT2l.jpg

The story of Asta, a young knight aiming to work his way up the ranks from the absolute bottom and eliminate corruption and discrimination in his country. This is a great fantasy battle manga that just wrapped its first arc 4+ years after it's start and is currently setting its second which looks to be pretty refreshing for the series, as it's about to become akin to an adventure story. The battles are always enjoyable to read thanks to energetic artwork, varied abilities, a teamwork focus that keeps a big chunk of the cast useful/relevant (including the women!) and well-managed power scaling. The characters are fun and lovable, especially in group interactions where they come to feel like more than the sum of their parts, the world is large with great potential and the overall story is surprisingly well-built and ambitious. This is more than the mindless fun ride it appears to be at first glance.

DEMON SLAYER: KIMETSU NO YAIBA - 2016
CZbyyu3l.jpg

The story of Tanjiro, a truly kind boy who is trying his best to turn his demon sister back into a human. This is another great battle manga with uniquely beautiful art. The main character Tanjiro is perhaps the most interesting example of a "kind boy" main character because his gentle nature feels genuine but he does not let it keep him from doing what must be done. He can feel for his enemies without absolving them of their deeds. And just like Tanjiro, you'll come to feel for the enemies as well, as the author does a very good job of presenting what brings each of them to the choices they make. The battles themselves are always very cool thanks to great looking techniques and overall art, a particularly high sense of tension and lethality and great use of the cast that keeps them all relevant (including the women!!). Even outside of battles, the characters always remain funny and interesting to watch.

DR.STONE - 2017
Xk8a3iYl.jpg

The story of Senku, an insanely smart and knowledgeable teenager who decides to work towards reviving all of humanity after they've all found themselves petrified and he was lucky enough to be free, only to find that that the world he awoke in is very primitive. This one is my personal favorite in the whole lineup. I love Senku and I love the ways in which he's able to jump forward in time and uses his brilliant mind to re-create inventions you wouldn't expect someone to make in the Stone Age. I love the ways in which it feels like a battle shonen without actually being one. And I love how this story feels like one about the human potential, in the worst of ways but also in the best and gives me a greater appreciation for the work that's gone into accomplishing all that this species has done over many, many years. Dr. Stone is fun yet serious. Dr. Stone is logical yet emotional. Dr. Stone is truly beautiful.

ACT-AGE - 2018
1MuQvFUl.jpg

The story of Yonagi, a high-school girl with a passion for movies and an unmatched talent for acting. She enters the world of acting to provide for her siblings and joins the team of a film director who sees her as key for the masterpiece he ultimately hopes to make one day. This is another one that's here because it's surprisingly enjoyable for something that's not what I'd expect of the magazine that gave me Naruto and Dragon Ball. It's incredibly refreshing and Yonagi's story is always very engaging because, despite her talent for acting, there are still roadblocks in her way, not the least of which is the fact that her methods are very dangerous for her psyche and every time she falls deeper into a role, she runs the risk of never coming back. There is a powerful "half as long, twice as bright" quality to her acting that makes it truly gripping to follow but also quite worrisome. So it's always interesting to see what kinds of roles she's given, what she brings from her own life into them and the things she relies on to stay tethered to reality.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

JUJUTSU KAISEN - 2018

KUvgUC6l.jpg

A battle manga which I've enjoyed a lot recently. I do not yet consider it to be great but I still find it very good and despite how early into the story we are, with the way things are going, I think it's only a matter of time before it joins the greats. The art is distinct, the characters feel oddly real considering the setup of the story and the fights are dynamic and have some really creative paneling. The villains are also a strength of this one.
Oh and here too, the author manages to keep the women strong and important (really, new gen Shonen Jump doing great in this regard).

CHAINSAW MAN - 2018
nFEAUtcl.jpg

Yo this manga is freaking crazy!

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been meaning to get back into Jump. Nice OP. Will be watching the thread.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We already have a manga thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.