• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
There is one political party that actually voted to prevent the tracking of gun related violence. Forget actual laws that actually restrict gun ownership. We can't even get Congress to vote to define the problem.

Spineless cowards. Can't wait to see them post hollow "thoughts and prayers" tweets while they continue to bend over backwards to the NRA as people continue to die.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get to a point in the future where our grandchildren look back in history and curse us for letting so many people die.

I hope we get that far.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
B-b-but I need easy access to guns so that I can defend myself from people who have easy access to guns!

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys register bullets every year to the authorities? This happens in my country. Every gun and bullet needs registration. Every year they update the database and you will have to show the proof of the used bullet.
Nope. I can order a 1,000 rounds online and have it shipped to my house like anything else. You can also buy 80% lowers online, mill and drill them out and have youself a ghost gun as you can buy everything online and no one would ever know. I'm almost done building my AR-15 that started with an 80% lower, and am planning on buying an 80% handgun complete kit later. Although I'm mostly doing it as a hobby I will have serial numbers engraved and they will be registered but you don't technically have to register them in some states. Even i think its crazy with what you can buy and have delivered to your house. Sadly i dont think there's a lot you can do to regulate with the damn NRA around and the crazy "govmnt gunna take our gunz" people.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt Walmart literally sell guns?

If that's the case then this is literally a nightmare waiting to happen.

Usagi

Oct 25, 2017
Trump's still up and hasn't said a thing. He's going apeshit with that NY killer.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible that these things just happen every damn day in the US and no seems to bat an eye, thousands of people murdered each year because some guys over 200 years ago thought the average citizen needed guns to defend themselves, while the rest of the western world don't have this issue because they realised how dangerous that would be.

Failing to anything after events like Sandy Hook, Columbine,, Virginia Tech, the Orlando Nightclub shooting and Las Vegas is a grave disservice to the future citizens of the US. The United States of America is a lost cause in terms of implementing proper firearms legislation that protects it's citizens.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sent thoughts and prayers, hopefully that helps!

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't happen after Sandy Hook, it didn't happen after Las Vegas, it's never going to happen

Yup I have said numerous times that Sandy Hook should have been the catalyst, like how in the UK we had Dunblane Massacre which resulted in bans on Handguns.

What is shocking is that if this were to happen over here I would be shocked. As its America its like "Happens every day!". Its not a great look for the USA

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is why the US doesn't have, at the very least, nationwide laws on the topic and a nation level database of the people that have guns, and instead, each state has a different laws and regulations. It kind of defeats the purpose de of being ultra strict in one state if you can travel a couple of hours to another place with lax laws.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is why the US doesn't have, at the very least, nationwide laws on the topic and a nation level database of the people that have guns, and instead, each state has a different laws and regulations. It kind of defeats the purpose de of being ultra strict in one state if you can travel a couple of hours to another place with lax laws.
Because the NRA has lobbied like crazy to stop each nationwide bill that even comes to a vote.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another nonsensical tragedy, hopefully they find the guy before more violence happens :(
Well we do have a national gun database that could track all of this, except due to the NRA's lobbying they are only allowed to use physical records, with only a basic card catalog and no backups, so it's impossible for them to actually track anything with any decent level of efficiency/accuracy
https://www.thetrace.org/2016/08/atf-ridiculous-non-searchable-databases-explained/

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I knew about this one is that my local news here in SC posted a live feed from the area where it happened on FB and it showed up on my feed. I instantly turned to all of the major news channels and none of them were mentioning it at the time and they never did from the time period I was watching it. I mean, we have a seemingly random shooting, three dead people and no suspect in custody and the lack of coverage for this is insane. Heck, I didn't even get any news alerts on any of it from the many apps I have on my phone.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've given up on gun control. The only way it will possibly happen is if someone who has the ability to affect change has their family shot down by someone who purchased a gun, and even then, it probably won't happen as their mental gymnastics will defer to "mental health"

NightMarcher

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii
Condolences to those who've lost their lives and their families.

Whenever things like this happen I just try to keep a few things in mind: 1) comparatively to history, we're living in relatively good times, and 2) the nature of being so connected at all times magnifies these events. Not to belittle them, just to keep things in perspective.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Three people are dead, shooter is white. Does not seem work or family related. Why the fuck no one is covering this?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully he will be caught soon. Police have released the name.

According to Thornton Police, the wanted suspect, Steve Ostrem, is a 47-year-old white man who wore a black jacket, maroon shirt, and blue jeans armed with a handgun. Police consider him armed and dangerous.

He reportedly fled in a red 2017 four-door Mitsubishi Mirage with license plate #882TQB.

Suspect_1509600577076_11569011_ver1.0.jpg
http://www.9news.com/img/resize/con...9600577076_11569011_ver1.0.jpg?preset=534-401

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The unfortunate thing is that even if laws are in place where guns are banned there will always be those who will hide their personal guns and this kind of shit will still happen. Might help. It wouldn't hurt.

I'm at a real loss as to what we can do to stop this.

America has the most mass shootings of any country by a long shot. It also has some of the most lax gun laws in the world as well. While you will have those who seep through the cracks, there are clear examples of how to at least mend the problem based on other countries. However, tell that to the NRA and the rednecks who own the country.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Saw this on my Facebook feed this morning and was shocked that I had friends at the business literally next door as this happened. I'm thankful that they're alright, but this is still absolutely horrible.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We live in a country that is more interested in lobbying for people to have things that's sole and only purpose is for killing rather than worrying about fighting for people's right to get basic health care. It fucking sucks. America sucks.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Crime may have been racially motivated.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/11/02/suspect-neighbors-walmart-shooting/

Several neighbors remarked that he often expressed dislike for Hispanics to their faces.

One man, Gerald Burnett, told CBS4 investigator Rick Sallinger that Ostrem would say "'This is America. You shouldn't be here." Burnett added, "That's no way to treat people."

With tears in her eyes, another neighbor, Teresa Muniz, agreed about Ostrem's treatment of Hispanics. "It hurts me. It does. It's been bothering me," she said.

Crime scene investigators searched Ostrem's third floor apartment. From a doorway, CBS4 could see a sweatshirt from the roofing company where Ostrem quit on Wednesday. There was also a bible.

A Hispanic employee of the apartment building, who did not want to be identified, said Ostrem was very rude. "If he saw a Hispanic person, he would tell them to get out of his way," he said.

All three who died at the Walmart had Hispanic names.

As for now while Ostrem is accused of the murders, no motive has been revealed.