• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Shoplifters (Palme D'or winner) out today on digital in NA

Oct 25, 2017

What a film, by Hirokazu Kore-eda. Aside from winning top honors at Cannes, Shoplifters is also nominated for Best Foreign Language film at the Academy Awards.
The actors were fantastic, highly recommended watch.

Official NA site

Feb 9, 2019
Watched it earlier.

Terrific ensemble cast, Kirin Kiki in her final performance was heartbreaking to watch. Sakura Ando is maybe the greatest standout but they're all so well-balanced that it barely matters. She just gets that one scene.

Really glad Shoplifters took some different turns from Kore-eda's recent movies, particularly towards the great final act. It's not my favorite movie of his but almost flawless, anyway. Glad he's now finally getting the recognition he deserves state-wise, too!

Oct 27, 2017
Great movie. Managed to catch it at the Tiff Bell Lightbox in Toronto in December, and was really glad to have been able to watch it in the theater.

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
For movies I really enjoy, I prefer to buy the Blu-Ray. However, with this film it is DVD only in the US! Guess I’m going digital with this movie!

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized this is by the same guy that made Maborosi - which is maybe my favourite movie ever. I need to check this out ASAP.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, thanks for the heads up! I haven't seen any Kore-eda other than Nobody Knows, but I've heard great things about this.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like the last 40 minutes or so of this, once it becomes a shameless tearjerker.

The early scenes were quite strong though... very good ensemble acting.

I definitely prefer several other Kore-era films (After Life, Still Walking, etc...).