• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BYWZmOTY0MDAtMGRlMS00YjFlLWFkZTUtYmJhYWNlN2JjMmZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODAzODU1NDQ@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

What a film, by Hirokazu Kore-eda. Aside from winning top honors at Cannes, Shoplifters is also nominated for Best Foreign Language film at the Academy Awards.
The actors were fantastic, highly recommended watch.

Official NA site

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent, thank you. Still Waking is one of my favorites. Been looking forward to Shoplifters.

Allstar

Feb 9, 2019
Watched it earlier.

Terrific ensemble cast, Kirin Kiki in her final performance was heartbreaking to watch. Sakura Ando is maybe the greatest standout but they're all so well-balanced that it barely matters. She just gets that one scene.

Really glad Shoplifters took some different turns from Kore-eda's recent movies, particularly towards the great final act. It's not my favorite movie of his but almost flawless, anyway. Glad he's now finally getting the recognition he deserves state-wise, too!

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Great movie. Managed to catch it at the Tiff Bell Lightbox in Toronto in December, and was really glad to have been able to watch it in the theater.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized this is by the same guy that made Maborosi - which is maybe my favourite movie ever. I need to check this out ASAP.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
Watched this on Amazon on Sunday before the oscars. Highly recommended.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Thought it was really thought provoking but it's not my favorite of his.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, thanks for the heads up! I haven't seen any Kore-eda other than Nobody Knows, but I've heard great things about this.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like the last 40 minutes or so of this, once it becomes a shameless tearjerker.

The early scenes were quite strong though... very good ensemble acting.

I definitely prefer several other Kore-era films (After Life, Still Walking, etc...).

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Excellent film, and unintentionally the first Palms D'or winner I've seen since pulp fiction

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this and crazy how the first half is super nice and shows people surviving and then the second half changes and the ending is so mixed but in a good way! Would 100% recommend it!