• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
https://www.slashfilm.com/paul-w-s-anderson-interview/2/
Was Monster Hunter a game you were obsessed with like you were Resident Evil?
I became aware of the game 10 years ago. I've been a long term fan of Monster Hunter before most people in the west even knew what it was. Partly because I spend a lot of time in Japan and I fell in love with the imagery of the game and started talking to Capcom about it nine years ago. It's definitely a passion project of mine, nine years in the making.

Is it similar to Resident Evil in that you're creating new, original characters like Alice was?

No, the movie has a lot of characters from the video game in it. There's The Handler and Admiral, Aiden, Aiden's Handler. We wanted Palico. It's very much a movie of the video game, but in Monster Hunter you get to create your own character when you go in there. You don't get to play Lara Craft or Jill Valentine. You get to play your own creation, and there is definitely an element of that in there. Some of the leading characters will be fresh characters but that's a reflection of what the video game is. It's definitely a movie that is firmly and fully entrenched in the world of the video game, as you would expect with me having worked with Capcom for nine years on adapting it and bringing it to the screen.

Do you get to realize all the monsters from the game or create any new ones?

Listen, I don't need to create any new monsters. There's such a vast array of amazing creatures over the years. We're leaning quite heavily on the favorite creatures from Monster Hunter World which is the latest game, but we're also bringing in what I think are some of the fabulous monsters from some of the earlier games and well, and some of the imagery from the earlier games. So I think for fans of Monster Hunter World, you'll recognize that world and the characters from that world very much, but also it'll be a callback to some of the favorite moments and creatures from some of the earlier games, which hopefully will get people excited to check out those earlier games as well because there's some magnificent imagery and monsters in those earlier games as well that I think a lot of people who have just played Monster Hunter World may not be aware of.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it similar to Resident Evil in that you're creating new, original characters like Alice was?

No, the movie has a lot of characters from the video game in it. There's The Handler and Admiral, Aiden, Aiden's Handler. We wanted Palico. It's very much a movie of the video game, but in Monster Hunter you get to create your own character when you go in there. You don't get to play Lara Craft or Jill Valentine. You get to play your own creation, and there is definitely an element of that in there. Some of the leading characters will be fresh characters but that's a reflection of what the video game is. It's definitely a movie that is firmly and fully entrenched in the world of the video game, as you would expect with me having worked with Capcom for nine years on adapting it and bringing it to the screen.
with the photos we've seen, this is literally impossible

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Military photo.jpeg

Yeah "faithful".

I also can't wait to see Rathalos go down on all fours. He's definitely famous for that.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people still not understanding what this movie is going to be? The military people are gonna be transported to the monster hunter world, realize their machine guns and tanks are worthless and then they are going to have to learn how to build known monster hunter weapons to fight back. It's pretty obvious how it's gonna play out.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
If Milla slow motion kicks a monster dog in the face, I'm pretty much on board for six of these regardless, faithful or not. It's sorta too bad that they have to exploit game IP to get badass lady action heroes in mediocre-but-fun action movies, and can't just churn them out Jason Statham style, but if that's what it takes....

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
How will it be faithful when they inevitable still attack monsters with machine guns.
I bet the machine guns don't work, and it goes into the military learning how to fight them using the Hunter techniques.

That is until the final boss, where they bring out a bazooka for the expected cheesy learning from each other moment.
I bet one of the soldiers decides to stay behind and live as a hunter instead of going home too.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people still not understanding what this movie is going to be? The military people are gonna be transported to the monster hunter world, realize their machine guns and tanks are worthless and then they are going to have to learn how to build known monster hunter weapons to fight back. It's pretty obvious how it's gonna play out.
The internet gonna internet.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Cause people aren't patient. Like I don't think the movie will be good, the Resident Evil movies ranged from bad to mediocre but like we already seen Milla Jonovich wearing armor and having a Slinger from World on her arm... Unsurprisingly that image has been left out of all articles talking about the movie.

(Edit Correction: Kotaku Article did show it)

Oct 27, 2017
You know it's an Isekai right?

And the games aren't. Just because it's justified given where they went with the story doesn't mean drastically changing the story was justified.

We could have gotten a cool story in a wholly fantasy setting. Instead we're getting the equivalent of James Cameron's Avatar with a Monster Hunter skin

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Dude is about a big of a fan as he was for Resident Evil. I.e. he watched the cutscenes/gameplay on YouTube and filled in his own story.

Which I mean, you can be a fan that way certainly. But how faithful you are without the entire picture becomes apparent.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Why are they being transported to some world? Why can't it just be set in the world and nowhere else with no explanation as to why there are monsters. I don't ask why Luke Skywalker is on Tattoine or see the humans get transported to this Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Dude is about a big of a fan as he was for Resident Evil. I.e. he watched the cutscenes/gameplay on YouTube and filled in his own story.

Which I mean, you can be a fan that way certainly. But how faithful you are without the entire picture becomes apparent.

This too. I bet the cast haven't played it either, most probably haven't heard of it.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
d31SpAV.gif
d31SpAV.gif

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of a scenario outside "lol magic" where machine guns and tanks don't work against the monsters but swords and daggers do. I think it's more likely they just run out of ammo.

Oct 27, 2017
Another day, another MH thread where someone complains about real world weapons not realizing that they keep showing the beginning of the movie in set photos. Bunch of whiners man.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's all fine and all but why go with the lame UN task force transported to other dimension stuff. Don't see how the film will benefit from stranger in a forgein land at all.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
And the games aren't. Just because it's justified given where they went with the story doesn't mean drastically changing the story was justified.
...but they haven't, at least not yet.

People from another world getting sucked into MH is far from the weirdest thing that has happened in that series.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So this is actually going to be an adaption of that GATE anime thing in disguise, right?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Lol The Handler is in it?
If there was any character I didn't want to see it was her annoying ass

Someone should ask him why his premise for this film sounds like the Asylum mockbuster ripoff of a more faithful Monster Hunter adaptation. I got no skin in the game, even as a Monster Hunter fan, but man, talk about the single lamest thing you could do with the premise.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://youtube.com/watch?v=duK8okgQNIU

Looks like Jurassic Park though.

I am relieve to hear the whole movie wont be like this.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because that premise is just as stupid. Get that "teleported to another world" garbage out of here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So this is actually going to be an adaption of that GATE anime thing in disguise, right?

I mean, yes, but the second major scene will be them getting sucked into the magical bucket into the world of MH, where their bullets do NOTHING against the stampeding Rathy's, only for them to be saved by a hunter. Queue the training montage.

The biggest surprise from that picture is that Mila is playing the human offworlder. I expected she'd be the lead hunter in full Zinogre armor.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because that premise is just as stupid. Get that "teleported to another world" garbage out of here.
Exactly. Why can't it be starring characters who already live in the world and know about it? It seems like we seldom get fantasy movies without some outside character audience insert. It'd be like if Apocalypto starred some white foreigner or Netflix Marco Polo

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Do they think the audience is so dumb that they just can't sell a fantasy film unless real-world soldiers with guns teleport in first? I don't remember needing to see a bunch of US marines hanging about in the forest in Lord of the Rings, or Luke Skywalker being a farm boy from Kansas, or Game of Thrones requiring a lost office worker learning how to navigate Kings Landing. From the sound of it, this film is missing the idea that the Hunters themeselves are characters that are a key part of the worldbuilding in their organisation, reputation, the way they glue an embattled society together with their insane courage and abilities. For them not to be the lead characters is weird, it's like making an Uncharted film where the leads come from normal-ville but they bump into some secondary-role jobber called Drake halfway through.