• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Step 1) Restock consoles for holiday
Step 2) overlook Games physical Stock
Step 3) Mayhem

https:///now-nintendo-switch-games-suffering-shortages-japan/
Japanese Internet commentators are reporting that they are having difficulty in finding Nintendo Switch games both offline and online.

On Amazon Japan, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and countless other games have completely sold out. They are currently on back-order, estimated to arrive in the next 1 to 4 weeks.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap! I can't remember the last time I had to worry about finding the standard edition of a game at retail.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
How does Japan compare to other markets with digital adaptation? Better, worse? I feel like it wouldn't be surprising if they were still mostly all physical.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dat thirst

I'm just happy Xenoblade 2 might be one of the games reaping the benefit.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo master plan. Don't supply the store with physical copies. People buy digital games which have bigger margins. Profit $$$

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure it's not a heat wave causing this?

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
How do you manage to run out of games to sell?

Nintendo's having all sorts of problems that are nice to have.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess ARMS & Xenoblade 2 are gonna see a decent sales boost. Considering how much I adore both games, it's good to see them do well in Japan. Hopefully said Japanese retailers get the extra shipments for all of the mentioned games soon.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Switch owners really are starving for games. Just not quite in the way people thought...

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if this were a somewhat deliberate push to get their JP users to adopt digital distribution.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
How do you manage to run out of games to sell?

Nintendo's having all sorts of problems that are nice to have.

In Japan retailers can't just return unsold stock, channel stuffing doesn't happen unless retailers overestimate demand. This is more telling about retailing failing to predict software demand for Switch games

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Japan loves their physical media. I remember visiting and still seeing CD shops. Like whole shops dedicated to CDs.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
It's basically Japan's enormous second-hand market for just about everything that's holding back digital sales there. You go into Traders, Bookoff, Gamers, heck even the big electronic stores like Sofmap and Bic and they have entire floors dedicated to second hand stuff - CDs, DVDs, models, manga, books, collectibles and, of course, games.

The West may be more ready for a digital-only future but Japanese market will ensure it won't be all digital for the near future, not while that market is still relevant.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom has got to be kicking themselves. Namco could have launched a Ridge Racer and it would have been successful. So many developers missed an opportunity.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances Nintendo sends emergence shipments.