• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
(This is the first thread I've created--I'm hoping this is an okay topic to discuss + the appropriate place to post it. I tried to conduct a few searches for this thread but didn't see anything specific to this. Please let me know if there is an already extant thread I can post in)

Tonight, my SO + I played some Competitive Overwatch. After a bad match, I suggested we try out the looking for game--we had never tried it before, but thought it might be a fun experience. I set up a group that quickly filled up. Everyone was helpful as I asked questions about how that whole system worked and helped me queue the group into a game. I was excited to see what it was like to play with a whole group on mic who had promised to play certain roles! It would def be better than the average comp team, right?

It wasn't. We tried a few matches with a few different people, and each was worse than the last. I'm not claiming to be a great OW player mechanically--but if there was one thing I noticed was that any time I attempted to make a call, I was ignored, or argued with, or told "in a second" only to be ignored until about two minutes later. It was as if my (feminine) voice didn't register with our teammates at all. Any time my (masculine sounding) SO echoed anything I said, he received an affirmative response and our teammates actually did what he suggested.

I wish I could say this is the first time this has happened, but obviously, it's not. In the 500+ hours I've put into Overwatch over the last few years (mostly comp), I've experienced more incidents of teammates blatantly ignoring me, or demeaning me, or doing exactly the opposite of what I'll ask than I can possibly count. One particular incident a few months ago comes to mind--in which I asked our DPS to try something other than Genji after 2 minutes of futile dives, and was told "shut up, little girl, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Go back to playing mercy."

In my limited experience it extend into other games. I raided for a few months in FF14 and shotcalled for my group often--when I shotcalled in my raid group of almost entirely cis dudes or like...any PUG I received a lot more anger and hostility than a guy with a masculine voice.

There's also all of the creepy messages/voice interactions I've experienced because of my feminine voice. No I don't want to ERP with you during this comp game. No I don't want to hear about your weird size fetish fantasies just because I raided with you once. I don't want to harp on this too much because it would be like another 4 paragraphs--just know it sucks.

(Maybe it's just me. I try really hard to not come off as irritated or demeaning when shotcalling--I try to stay positive and offer helpful advice when needed or make calls about timing/incoming damage. I've talked to IRL friends who I play with about how I present myself and think I do an okay job at not coming across as nasty or demanding. But I'll admit the possibility still exists.)

I think it's more likely, though, that a lot of gamers (specifically dudes) don't want to listen or respect people they perceive as women within the space. It doesn't matter how much experience women have or how much time they've spent learning about counters or the meta or the raid--it doesn't matter if women have experienced and beaten content, while others haven't. There just seems to be a largely prevalent fundamental lack of respect within this context.

I realize this is sort of rambly, but I wanted to make this thread for two reasons. 1) So people can vent/read about how much it absolutely sucks to be perceived as a woman in voice chat and 2) So people can come up with/suggest solutions.

TLDR: it sucks that games I really enjoy and put a lot of time into I'll never get to actually succeed at because of my dumb voice.

(sorry this is so long. I had a lot more to say about this than I expected :( )

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
CALpssfUkAEWRGT.jpg

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
One and done.

I've made plenty of friends who refuse to talk in voice chat because it's too common to draw out assholes and trolls.

I get that, as I myself have opted to do that plenty when I'm not willing to face the awfulness, but I still find it frustrating. I'd like to contribute--I'd like to get to play the same game as my peers! Making it uncomfortable for me to use voice chat actively takes away that experience.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get that, as I myself have opted to do that plenty when I'm not willing to face the awfulness, but I still find it frustrating. I'd like to contribute--I'd like to get to play the same game as my peers! Making it uncomfortable for me to use voice chat actively takes away that experience.
I understand, I just honestly don't know how to get this consistently without have a total of majority pre-made :(

It's a problem that shouldn't exist but does because of assholes, and there isn't a ban system that's robust and flexible enough in existence at the moment to fix it.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if it makes you feel any better I find the OW playerbase to be pretty toxic. It's the reason I quit the game.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I'm pretty sure a lot of it is just primal, alpha male stuff. By default, men only respect strength and masculine voices sound stronger than feminine ones. Teaching men to respect other things requires long-term conditioning, which is why guys with lousy parents usually end up being chauvinistic assholes.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Well, if it makes you feel any better I find the OW playerbase to be pretty toxic. It's the reason I quit the game.

Unfortunately that doesn't really make me feel any better. I often times queue with my SO or guy friends--I can hear and see the difference in how much they respect them vs me.

Also in other online games I've played I've experienced similar things as well--some of which were a lot worse but I don't personally want to delve into.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
What has brought me back to group chat is the clubs function on Xbox. I'm in some like the LGTBIQ one, one about plastic arts enthusiasts, things like that. With that, I manage to play only with like-minded people who, usually, are nice humans.

As a non-native English speaker, my accent used to bring me a lot of shit so this clubs feature has made gaming a bit more fun for me.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately that doesn't really make me feel any better. I often times queue with my SO or guy friends--I can hear and see the difference in how much they respect them vs me.

Also in other online games I've played I've experienced similar things as well--some of which were a lot worse but I don't personally want to delve into.

You mean like this?

People should watch her series and similar ones to actually get a picture of what is happening if they never experienced it first hand.There are some really....good...parts in there usually like around 7:30 in this one.
I think she is facing the same issues in Overwatch too which clearly indicates this is a widespread issue over probably every game.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to play Counter Strike a lot when I was a kid and less so nowadays. I mostly played with other girls/women and people I knew. I don't talk on mic if I'm pubbing by myself unless I'm on a roll and I've found a few random people I don't think are assholes.

But yeah, it's gross and it's not acceptable but I've been playing CS and online games since I was 12 so it is what it is.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean like this?

People should watch her series and similar ones to actually get a picture of what is happening if they never experienced it first hand.There are some really....good...parts in there usually like around 7:30 in this one.
I think she is facing the same issues in Overwatch too which clearly indicates this is a widespread issue over probably every game.

Yeah this is the shit that destroyed my soul when I was younger. I just insulate myself now with a gender neutral profile pic, username etc. The only way someone would know I'm a girl is if they looked at my profile and saw my friends comments where they call me by my name and that sort of thing.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Considering how many times I've friended females online just because I talked normally, didn't hit on people and not friend them after a good game (this has literally been said to me), I feel bad for yall.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I've seen how bad it can get on OW first hand to girl players. I don't really talk on voice chat ever, but I defended her with the text chat. Hopefully he got banned, but I never got a message for it or anything sadly. People can get REALLY weird for sure.

I've also played a game called Graal. That community (used to be, could be still) very toxic to girls, it's pathetic.

I feel sorry for what you guys go through :( my sisters play only Nintendo stuff online, and luckily they avoid it because of it. Shouldn't have to do that of course.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
You mean like this?

Watching that video.... I... Wow. I feel like I've just witnessed another species attempt to communicate with this gal. I wonder if they ever realize how nasty they sound? Like, I think I heard the exact type of food one guy was shoving in his mouth while badmouthing that girl (a burrito). I'm not even sure how that's possible. I really shouldn't have watched that because now I've lost faith in humanity even more.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You mean like this?

I've had pretty similar experiences to her in Overwatch. It's truly pathetic what lengths some of these people will go to the moment a "gril gamer" dares speak up in their game. Heck, sometimes I don't even have to talk; my mere name results in stupid, hateful, awful comments.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate, hopefully it'll change faster over time. My experience in Overwatch with female players has mostly been the opposite actually, as they're treated no differently than anyone else. I've played with so many women ranging from younger girls in high school to older women with children, and it gives me confidence that things have been changing. Personally, I find it pleasantly surprising how many female players actually talk and give call outs to begin with.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I shotcall in FF14, clearly as a woman, and people listen to me for the most part. But probably more because they are my friends that trust me rather than a bunch of strangers.

It honestly depends on the maturity of the people listening; nothing you do will make them listen to you more, that's their problem they need to sort out. If they are even aware enough to realize how they are acting.

Really the only way it'll get easier if men have more exposure to women shot calling to the point where it becomes normalized just as much as men doing it. But there's a vicious cycle at play where a woman has one, or two, or multiple toxic experiences just daring to use voice chat at all that they end up playing without a mic or resist calling out something out of instinct to avoid backlash. Partly the reason why I play as a male character in MMOs is that people are more likely to listen to you over text chat or at least respect you more at a base level.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this is the shit that destroyed my soul when I was younger. I just insulate myself now with a gender neutral profile pic, username etc. The only way someone would know I'm a girl is if they looked at my profile and saw my friends comments where they call me by my name and that sort of thing.

Yeah its pretty idiotic.
People suggesting to her and others doing similar content to take down the profile picture and hiding that they are a girl shows what is wrong with people if this is their go-to solution.

I personally will never understand why people react that way when they play with a woman.
It never made a difference to me and if you find me a goldfish that plays the game the way its intended to i will party up with the fish too.

But even if the person is well known in the Gaming Community people can't stop attacking them.
You have big Siege Streamers like AnneMunition who gets attacked even though many know who she is and usually has someone from Ubisoft on short dial or even watching her streams.
People know that they will get permabanned and lose their accounts but they still have to attack her and others.

Wow this video was incredibly cathartic I'm gonna have to look for the rest of her stuff tomorrow. And unfortunately I had some worse experiences than that, but yeah that's...pretty on brand for every day shit.

Yeah i heard she had to experience worse too probably like every other woman that is brave enough to play with random people that hide behind anonymity.
Have seen multiple "Series" or clips on social media like that by now from different games and different women and its always something that is still putting the previous ones in their shadow because
these assholes manage to always find something new.

I've had pretty similar experiences to her in Overwatch. It's truly pathetic what lengths some of these people will go to the moment a "gril gamer" dares speak up in their game. Heck, sometimes I don't even have to talk; my mere name results in stupid, hateful, awful comments.

In the case of Siege which is my Main-FPS its already toxic in lower rankings or the casual gamemode as a guy though there people lean more towards racism instead of sexism.

I've only met a couple women when playing Solo that were brave enough to talk in over 1000 hours of Siege and they usually get attacked by the same type of people like in her videos once they make a callout and actually help the team.
Usually i mute everyone else and only keep then talking with her and party up for the next couple games resulting usually in another person you can play with in the future.

Interesting in Siege is once you get into higher Rankings in Ranked Mode you usually find more normal people that really don't give a damn about the person as long as they play the game as good as they can.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of my womenfriends have long decided to only ever use party chat, or don't voice chat at all in games due to this.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I think most women have experienced this to a point where talking with strangers in a game is never a comfortable thing to do. When I did speak in Overwatch I used to get friend requests after nearly every game which consisted of either sexist abuse or people offering their snapchat handle unrequested, it felt really dehumanising that literally nobody who made the effort to contact me wanted to actually play the game or talk about the game with me.
It's unfortunate since I believe the creeps and the abusive people are in the minority but ultimately wind up dictating the behaviour of the majority because games developers are unwilling to remove toxic players and the games community are largely unwilling to say anything or stand against them.
I'll always prefer text chatting until one of those two things change in gaming.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I used to play a lot of multiplayer (mostly MMOs) before voice chat became popular and we had several women in the guild who were TC's (target callers) and did it very well.
Later when we got voice chats I was in a close knit guild with my wife and they were respected there as well but as soon as we did pugs my wife and the other women in the guild might as well keep quiet as it was not popular among others.

Our guilds (after voice chat became popular) has contained mostly people that are 30+ and I think that has a lot to do with it.

Now we just stay out of multiplayer as people have become assholes online in all situations and we don't have the time to commit to a guild or anything like that.

Voice chat is probably the most divisive "invention" in gaming as it excludes a lot of people from participating.

It doesn't help that companies that provides multiplayer games take a complete hands off approach to moderating and let's anything pass. At least it feels that way.

Also, OP, your voice isn't dump it's other people that are dumb. If you have time, try to find a regular group of people that are not idiots, it's the only thing that helps as of now.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
You mean like this?

Wow. "To be fair you're asking for it, you know like, you know women playing videogames..."

Just being a women is asking for harassment huh? I don't know what to say, how do you help or convince people who say this shit seriously? What kind of response is appropriate? Can't really think of anything that doesn't break the "don't advocate violence" rule. >_>

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's not definitely just you, people are just huge assholes. I also have a friend who has a very distinct voice because of his medical condition he's had since birth, not feminine but still. Has got mocked for it by people mimicking his voice. So he rather wouldn't speak in unfamiliar company either. Of course his treatment is different to what women or people with feminine voice get, but the point stands that people are huge assholes. Don't really have any other advice than to play with a group of friends rather than strangers.

Sorry that people are behaving like that towards you. Gaming should be fun/entertaining, shit like that shouldn't belong to it.

Edit: Also related https://www.gamerevolution.com/feat...ed-from-esea-match-despite-being-a-top-player

Last edited:

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow. "To be fair you're asking for it, you know like, you know women playing videogames..."

Just being a women is asking for harassment huh? I don't know what to say, how do you help or convince people who say this shit seriously? What kind of response is appropriate? Can't really think of anything that doesn't break the "don't advocate violence" rule. >_>

You won't be able to do anything until their anonymity wouldn't protect anymore their Real Life.
Most of these kids wouldn't talk to anyone like that in Real Life especially not women.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
How often do you find people who are patronizing rather than outright hostile?

I ask because I used to play CS:GO with a guy I met online. He was on older married guy, and he had a chill attitude. Then one day we got in a match with a girl on our team, and this guy could not stop telling her "Good job!" or "Nice try!" It was bizarre.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Im a guy and i stay out of voice chat in Overwatch because of this shit... women have it tenfold worst.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Gamers are stupid, mean and sexist. That's all there is to it.

Btw, what's a "male feminine voice" ?
I can't seem to picture it.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Seriously though, why don't some people refuse to call themselves gamers"

Gardog

Apr 17, 2018
Im a white male and I wont even talk to those animals. Sorry to hear that it's bothering you though. Best advice I can think of is to try to find guys that dont treat you like trash and friend them until you have a regular group that will take you seriously.. But, the problem here exists on a societal level and isn't going away anytime soon unfortunately. Any guy you shoot a friend request to has an 80% chance to lose his mind and start thinking of you as more than a friend.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
In my opinion, every platform needs to implement massive, staunch initiatives for moderation of their platforms. Steam, XBL, PSN, etc all need to hold the users on their platforms responsible for hate filled comments in text AND in speech. The last fifteen years of unmoderated hosting has bred the entire industry into a festering pile of bigotry.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I can't imagine how awful that is. I'm disgusted by other players online, and I'm a man. I refuse to play with strangers, or if we have to fill with a stranger or two, I try not to talk with them.

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I can't imagine how awful that is. I'm disgusted by other players online, and I'm a man. I refuse to play with strangers, or if we have to fill with a stranger or two, I don't talk to them.

This is also part of the problem.
"Normal" males like us are also chased away by the assholes so the only ones left in these chats are .. assholes.

In my opinion, every platform needs to implement massive, staunch initiatives for moderation of their platforms. Steam, XBL, PSN, etc all need to hold the users on their platforms responsible for hate filled comments in text AND in speech. The last fifteen years of unmoderated hosting has bred the entire industry into a festering pile of bigotry.

100% agree with this.
It would be nice to be able to do online gaming again.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame, I've found myself queued with girls in competitive somewhat often. I didn't get the sense those times that my teammates were ignoring anything she said, any less than they normally don't listen to shotcalling I guess I'll say. Been trying to get my wife good enough at OW that we can queue together for comp. Hoping that experience doesn't go south.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This is also part of the problem.
"Normal" males like us are also chased away by the assholes so the only ones left in these chats are .. assholes.
I can still hear them, and when they say something racist or sexist, me and my friends I play with make them know that isn't acceptable. When it is one on one, assholes brush it off, but with a few others, I've had them apologize or say "All right, I'll stop" a number of times. Not every time, of course :(

There's only one woman that plays in our group prominently, but I'm glad I haven't heard anyone give her grief or ignore her.

I play Rainbow Six: Siege, which has just about the worst online community I've ever played with, so we really try to fill our whole team with friends every time to avoid team killers and racists.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I don't play Overwatch but I don't use a mic for this reason in other games. Certain gamers are just immature as hell and can't stand the prospect of a woman being around in their precious game.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who consistently used a mic on Overwatch, I suspect you are just seeing the expected percentage of jerks. These people will look for any reason to be an asshole. Don't take it personally.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
This sort of stuff put me off wrt Overwatch, too. Arguing with the people doesn't tend to help things along, and it doesn't look like Blizzard cares much.

I like communication, shotcalling, and being positive, and it's a bummer that's so hard.

If a girl plays alone, she gets a lot of shit, if she plays with another guy, dumbasses will proceed to talk about e-girls and them being the guy's girlfriend. And it's not like 3-stacking is the way to go in comp Overwatch.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Playing as a male I've found out that when I play with 1 or more girls in my team I play more chilled, focused, and relieved. Because I know nobody's gona start some stupid flamming shit or get agressive for no reason.

Testosterone is bad for competitive playing.

Now c'mon, tell me your multiple stories about how a women flammed you in a competitive match. I'm waiting.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Unless game devs start banning hard for this I'm sad to say it not going change

I just hate any mic soon as i can i turn that off

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah it's pretty much been my experience playing being gay and having someone shout "f*ggot" at least half the games at me. i'm sure it's even worse as someone with a more feminine identified voice and being able to be identified more easily by voice alone

it's really sad and it feels like it's gotten worse with meme culture and just the whole toxic internet culture in general. i remember playing online games like TF:C and a lot of HL mods back in the day (early 2000s) and while there were always some toxic assholes it wasn't the majority. but it's become such a part of people's social conditioning that behaving like that is funny and cool. devs need to step the fuck up.

i wish it was easier finding groups of people to play with that aren't total pricks. i feel like this is gonna be a big issue in RDR2

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamers are stupid, mean and sexist. That's all there is to it.

Btw, what's a "male feminine voice" ?
I can't seem to picture it.

Not sure where this was mentioned but at least to me... I used to raid with a really effeminate gay dude. Apparently he got mistaken for a woman all the time. Conversely I usually get mistaken for a young guy. Only raiding with cool people who aren't asshats helps a lot, but I can still remember a couple trans players I knew who were to scared to raid because of how they thought their voices would sound, and most people won't raid with someone who won't even acknowledge on mic. It just becomes a whole "thing" explaining your voice to some people.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I just talk over people who annoy me but I haven't been on public online since coming out...

I'm just mute. In VR I gesture that I can't speak.

Back in Destiny I would raid constantly with a girl and we'd just boot people who make a deal out of it because it ALWAYS turned to creepy flirting.

Hell there's someone on this very site who was super creepy enough to make things uncomfortable beyond belief.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Anyone toxic on voice is a no go.

As a rule in voice chat in Dota or other games I play, which is not many others, or even IRL, I perform the lead by example role. I play within my role, and allow people to do the same, and I call people out if they are being obnoxious or rude to other players mainly. Also be supportive of your mates and encourage them and discuss if you have a disagreement in a decent way.

I have sometimes played with people with effeminate voices who are male or female. Some of them oddly were more aggressive seemingly to compensate or were just jerks IRL, others mostly who were female were just much less confrontational in general.

But anyway as a rule lead by example by treating everyone with respect. People who are themselves respectful to others will recognize this and you'll find and stick to people who treat others the same way.

When you join random people you are joining random people, remember that, it is going to be luck of the draw, and most people are dicks.

Go in not expecting much and you will at least be less disappointed when it doesn't turn out well. Not everyone you meet online or IRL is going to be a decent person, so you shouldn't expect that off the bat or you are setting yourself up for failure.

Try again or look for communities like here or elsewhere as a pre-screening before meeting up on voice chats. I've personally had mixed results here and the old place with Dota, several were pretentious or needy or attention whoring quite a bit and were quick to become passive aggressive, I didn't attempt to play with these people again.

The best people I met on Dota were from RPS and I still play with them 6 years later because they are decent people. Luck of the draw, you will meet some cool people, you will also meet assholes, that's life.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Having played a good amount of Overwatch on PC, I feel the community is fairly diverse enough that women making out callouts are not uncommon, and Ive never heard one get berated. Theyve been able to make call outs, give orders that were followed, and people communicate back just fine. Overwatch is far more friendlier than some people lead on, but I guess my experience is dependent on my placement (Gold ranked).

Ive heard once or twice one of them get called out for simply being a woman with shitty "ooh, a girl!" comments, but OW is usually fine

I have never seen a shotcaller woman on games like Siege or COD, and I doubt I ever will. Those communities are far more intensely male dominated, and being a woman will just get you unwanted attention

Edit: That's not to say your daily experience means it doesnt discount all those instances though. It sucks, but OW players get pretty intense when they are called out. I tell people to switch off once or twice, but then after that, it's pointless because it's just going to get heated. I tend to type it in chat most of the time to avoid confrontation on the mic myself.

Also, you always get those bonehead players that do the opposite or just dont listen. It's frustrating, but you just have to let those instances go because its not worth the annoyance. Just yesterday, we had a dude refuse to get off DPS, and completely ignore every request. He either had us muted or just didnt care.