• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should it be?

• CGI

Votes: 338 71.5%
  • Live-action

Votes: 135 28.5%

• Total voters

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I think Live Action is necessary but if it's CGI you can set up that Super Smash Bros. Cinematic Universe.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't know if it's the weirdness that's the issue. I've just never played a Zelda game, seen a goron, and thought to myself that I needed to see a more realistic rock person.
It's not just things like Gorons and Zora. 99% of the characters, Human, Hylia, Garudo, or otherwise in Zelda games are designed way over the top with disproportionate facial and body features. Link and Zelda and maybe one or two others like Malon or such are "normal" but everyone else is fucking bonkers looking. I for one don't want to see them try to pull that off with something like the Dwarves from the Hobbit or something and going effectively CGI for nearly everyone but Link and Zelda just seems dumb. Just go full hand drawn animations or CGI. Those kinds of films excel at more fanciful and abstract character designs. Everything fits and meshes well with each other and the world around them.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd prefer CGI

...but either way they're going to have to get with the friggin' times and just give link a voice already! Maybe then we won't have to deal with silence and jibberish in the games anymore?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's an oddly phrased question, because I think it shouldn't be all CGI or live action.

It should be a mix of both, using the best technique for whatever you're trying to realize on screen.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Knowing how much people love Zelda online, its gotta be animated or we'll never hear the end of it, specially in the casting.
Plus is the only way one could get away with a silent Link.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
There's no way it works live action, I don't think there's a soul out there who could play link well. Especially is they go silent pro-tag like in the games, that makes it even harder.

They could try but I imagine it would be quite devisive with either choice honestly. I think an animated series would be better then a movie, more time more space to breath. Do it like Castlevania.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Always wanted to see a Zelda movie based roughly on the Nintendo Power Link To The Past comic.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I rather it be full 2D than either, but CGI if I had to choose between what's listed. Live Action sounds corny as heck for the series

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CGI, as it could be more easily faithful to whatever Zelda game and art style they want to emulate. From celshaded Wind Waker, to a more realistic and gritty but still stylized Twilight Princess look to an outright Ghibli anime look like that of Breath of the Wild.
I fear live-action would just seem corny and off for such a whimsical series as Zelda.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ghibli-Style anime, like they were trying to emulate with BotW.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
Preferably not at all but since that isn't an option I'd go with live action. Not cause I think it would be a good movie but I feel like a cgi talking link would be weird since its kind of similar to video game link where as a live action one is already such a departure maybe it wouldn't break my brain? I dunno I'd rather we just got more Pikmin short films. Those were great.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Absolutely animated.

Live action and realism would be horrible (even Zelda games know better to stay away from photo realism in their aesthetics)

my personal opinion would be more of a 3D computerized version of a Ghibli film. (Basically a Pixar version of a Ghibli film)

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... honestly I could see anything working: live action, CG, or 2D anime. Each of them could be beautiful in their own way.

If I had to choose though, I would go live action, just because it would be the most different from the games. I'd love to see a totally new take on the Zelda universe.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jun 24, 2019
Hell to the f--king no to live action. Just look at how The Last Air Bender and Dragon Ball Evolution turned out.

Animation all the way baby!

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
No-dialogue animation.
Almost an "art film".

Zg9

Jan 18, 2020
This
the-legend-of-zelda-studio-ghibli3.png
kf9xuoRWyciZEq8SCskPnlePp3xcqUpBU2mW0JaG.jpg

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Live action with cg Link set in modern day NYC. Either Sinbad or Danny Devito as Ganondorf and of course Rosie O'Donnell as Zelda.