• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Animal Crossing feature voice acting?

• Yes

Votes: 62 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,175 95.0%

• Total voters

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It would be pretty epic to have some dark, twisted, story mode in Animal Crossing and would definitely get me excited. Sometimes game devs throw a curve ball at their fans. The latest Yakuza game has turn based combat, which is a big departure from previous games. I think a lot of you just need to be a bit more open minded.
I want a Stardew Valley like farming game where you learn to farm, craft, hunt, and fight monsters.

Then you uncover a Hot Fuzz-like conspiracy and they burn your farm to the ground. You have to use all the crafting, hunting, and monster fighting skills you've learned to infiltrate the town and take down the cult.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
That OP video sounds horrible.

I imagine if AC finally did feature voice, it would be similar to the high pitched automated voices from Miitomo or Tomodatchi Life... but it's already like that.

Actually, voices were one of the many weird things about that Japanese only Animal Crossing anime that made it feel... off.

Last edited:

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
I assume the mods are banning everyone who voted yes? It's ok to be wrong but surely it's against the rules of this forum to be that wrong.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I want a Stardew Valley like farming game where you learn to farm, craft, hunt, and fight monsters.

Then you uncover a Hot Fuzz-like conspiracy and they burn your farm to the ground. You have to use all the crafting, hunting, and monster fighting skills you've learned to infiltrate the town and take down the cult.

Not sure if you're serious, but that sounds pretty epic for a Animal Crossing game. Would breath new life into the series, but would probably work better as a spin off judging by the comments here.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it wouldn't fit the IP saying this as someone that never played one of these. But it feels very much the same as why the Sims also shouldn't ever have voice acting. It would distract from the fantasy they're trying to create.

It's different for Zelda in my opinion which has played more and more with cinematic presentation and I think botw showed that it profits from having those scenes voiced.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
WHAT?! THOSE MONSTERS!

I refuse to be believe that there exists people who wants voice acting in Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Not sure if you're serious, but that sounds pretty epic for a Animal Crossing game. Would breath new life into the series, but would probably work better as a spin off judging by the comments here.
100% serious on the idea. I think it work work best as a non-farming game. Animal Crossing doesn't even have combat skills or hunting for them to implement in the game's finale

EDIT: Best as a non-animal crossing game.

Last edited:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
lol at the poll result and I agree with the majority that the gibberish is part of the appeal of the series

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
A million times no. Never ever. Not even once.

The animalese is a big part of the series, and should stay that way.

May 13, 2019
Dude, you can't be serious with this.
Again, it's been done.

Guess none of you have heard of The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing

Let's Play Animal Crossing by Chewbot
tvtropes.org

The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing (Lets Play) - TV Tropes

A Let's Play of Animal Crossing: Wild World by Chewbot, a Darker and Edgier version of the cute little game you know and love. This is the story of eight-year-old Billy and his wondrous adventures at "Camp". Arriving at what seems to be an …

Yeah, I didn't like it at all.
Understandable. If I recall correctly, Chewbot admitted the Let's Play was product of him thinking that he could make Animal Crossing, a game for preschoolar children as far as he was concerned, into something that was actually compelling.

May 13, 2019
He sounds insufferable
Hilariously, I remember a time when he criticized another Let's Play that took a similar approach to his over bringing dark and edgy elements to a game where such things do not belong at all. He was then told, in the most polite way possible, that he was the least qualified person on the entire forum to cast stones from a glass house.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I liked the dark and edgy LP at the time, and appreciated the creativity.

But sounds like I need to dig out that CS Lewis quote about "maturity" again...

Jan 10, 2018
Come on. You know that adding a Mario Kart racer into Fire Emblem would be absolutely ridiculous. Like you said, it would add nothing and be very out of place. However, a deep, thought provoking story campaign in Animal Crossing is that out there. Still keep the same core gameplay, but add in an optional story mode voiced by some of the best actors on the planet. I'm not talking about getting Leonardo DiCaprio, but actors with unique voices, which is why I said James Earl Jones, Scarlett Johansson originally.

It would be pretty epic to have some dark, twisted, story mode in Animal Crossing and would definitely get me excited. Sometimes game devs throw a curve ball at their fans. The latest Yakuza game has turn based combat, which is a big departure from previous games. I think a lot of you just need to be a bit more open minded.

Death Stranding had some big actors. Did Sony employ the equivalent actor in every language for that game? Nope. So there is no reason Nintendo couldn't chuck the cheque book at Al Pacino for example for the Animal Crossing story mode (Al Pacino was just the first actor that came to mind. I'm not suggesting him for Animal Crossing)

How about no

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

How about at least open your mind to the idea of a spin off game. An Animal Crossing, fully voiced acted ARPG with a deep multilayered story. With a third person view point and hyper realistic graphics.

It wouldn't impact the main game at all as it would be a spin off. I'm not trolling either. I think more games should try risky spinoffs of the main franchise.

Kinda like with Pokémon. You have the main series of games, but also have Mystery Dungeon and Pokémon go. Or with the Total War series they made the spin off Total Warrior games (Spartan and Viking). It's just to try our new ideas and expand the franchise.

Soiks

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of changes you're suggesting make it sound like it'd bear little to no relation to the series that so many people love and would be closer to a bad Netflix adaption of something than actually creating something of value. In the case you're suggesting, it sounds better to just make a brand new IP rather than leech goodwill off an existing one.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Only with species appropriate voice actors.
Otherwise leave it at gibberish.
Video in the OP made the characters quite annoying.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
they can do hyper realistic Kirby next
dwxrua5e1n831qqk56.jpg

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this thread is at 10 pages is giving me anxiety.

At least the poll results are comforting.

How about at least open your mind to the idea of a spin off game. An Animal Crossing, fully voiced acted ARPG with a deep multilayered story. With a third person view point and hyper realistic graphics.

It wouldn't impact the main game at all as it would be a spin off. I'm not trolling either. I think more games should try risky spinoffs of the main franchise.

Kinda like with Pokémon. You have the main series of games, but also have Mystery Dungeon and Pokémon go. Or with the Total War series they made the spin off Total Warrior games (Spartan and Viking). It's just to try our new ideas and expand the franchise.
giphy.gif

And if you're not, why don't you just go play one of the 10000000000 games that are exactly like you describe lol. Animal Crossing isn't that.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
The script for these games could easily be bigger than Dragon Quest 7, you know.

And it's not like any interaction is more important than other, so you'd need to dub EVERYTHING.
It also would make me more uncomfortable to play them in public.

And I'd also hate it if they went with voice acting but only dubbed them in english and japanese. Fixing a problem that never existed is a loss situation for everyone.

Even those who might like this idea should agree that the inevitable script and villagers/cast reduction would be a bad situation, specially since the repeated dialogues and voice actors would be more noticeable.

Last edited:

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
I SAY YES to voice acting that is modified to ultimately sound more like a computer generated syllable. You know like they kinda already have in the game only the words are actually easily comprehensible and have a lot more distinguishable characteristics because of the care put into the villager voices

I also love the way a japanese let's player did it for Wild World (DS) - essentially high/low-pitching the voices she recorded for the villagers - although she put a lot more effort into it, voiceing even some of the bugs and adding idle mumbling sounds to the villagers and so on:

Why not use a computer-generated voice synthetiser from the beginning rather than going rounadbout it?

A voice synthetiser allows writers to produce new lines without hiring VAs to do them even uptil late into production, have dynamic text being read, and even player-generated text.

The current Animalese is already the result of a very crude voice-synthesis algorithm. They did a bit of R&D with Todmodachi Collection. I'm surprised they didn't take the next step, but it might be an artistic choice.

Pixeltuner

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus Christ, no. As many others have said: Animalese is a major (I would say essential) part of the charm of this series.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017

Why insist on turning an existing IP with a very different premise into this? What you're proposing has nothing to do with what Animal Crossing is - if the series bores you like it currently is, then there are many alternatives availables.

Animal Crossing is quite unique as a concept, and it shows it the sales it has. People like additions like the ones they've shown for New Horizons, but they don't want to change entirely the base of the series. If you want to see the reception for a new idea, see how well Amiibo Festival did.

Both mystery dungeon and Pokemon go, don't change some basic features of Pokemon (the Pokemon are the same designs as in the main series, no VA, etc). While they are spin offs they maintain the series's essence. What you propose for AC doesn't.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I voted yes, but I knew what results would be. I would love to hear what K.K. Slider sounds like. Beyond that...I'm good.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Why insist on turning an existing IP with a very different premise into this? What you're proposing has nothing to do with what Animal Crossing is - if the series bores you like it currently is, then there are many alternatives availables.

Animal Crossing is quite unique as a concept, and it shows it the sales it has. People like additions like the ones they've shown for New Horizons, but they don't want to change entirely the base of the series. If you want to see the reception for a new idea, see how well Amiibo Festival did.

Both mystery dungeon and Pokemon go, don't change some basic features of Pokemon (the Pokemon are the same designs as in the main series, no VA, etc). While they are spin offs they maintain the series's essence. What you propose for AC doesn't.

It doesn't bore me. Just an idea for a spin off game in the AC series.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
i dont get the need that some people need for voice acting in everything. especially alot of nintendo games which only have a few lines of text here and there. id rather read the two sentences then have to hear half of the dialogue as i rapidly press the a button to get through it.

also animal crossings annoying gibberish is really charming. why remove that.