• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should DICE make something in a different genre?

• Yes, they should take a break from the first person shooters

Votes: 230 83.6%
  • No, I still want more Battlefield/Battlefront games

Votes: 45 16.4%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see a team develop Frostbite to make it easier to use and less buggy for their own games as well as different genre types for different developers. Maybe it's time for a full Frostbite 2 engine?

Obviously it'd be nice to see them make something that's not Battlefield or Battlefront related, even though I'm pretty sure ME Catalyst was an outright bomb. Maybe they should return to racing games, or try their hand at a GTA-style open world game, or an action RPG like Horizon? Or how about something totally different and do a side-scrolling fighting game like Streets of Rage.

Edit - or how about another FPS but one that looks and feels completely different and has more in common with the fast pace and craziness of Doom or Bulletstorm. So it's within their comfort zone but at the same time different with its own flavour.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Felt that way for years, and the only time they took a real chance was Mirror's Edge. Unfortunately they followed it up with a mediocre sequel, but I'd be happy to see them do another genre. Mainly because I'd like to actually see them make something that grabs me, because it has been years.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
They had so many opportunities, that maybe, just maybe they should just give up.
Just a thought.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Give them freedom, resources, and most importantly - enough time. I'm sure they'll make something good since they are talented developers.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a new Rallisport, but I'm not letting them off the FPS hook until I get my modern day Battlefield back.
It's been too long since BF4.

And I want a CQB DLC same as we got in BF3.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Whatever happens I think they need a break from yearly releases for awhile, I guess they'll get a "break" this year because respawns game is the big game.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Sure why not, just as long as they are "forced" to use Frostbite for anything other than a first person game :]
No but seriously they should give Battlefield a break. EA/DICE must know that they will never be able to get to the standards of COD as we have seen with their attempts at yearly FPS games for the past 10 years:
2018 - BFV
2017 - SW BF2
2016 - BF1
2015 - SW BF1
- BF Hardline (Multiplayer)
2014 - *Nothing, was meant for Hardline*
2013 - BF4
2012 - MOH Warfighter (Multiplayer)
2011 - BF3
2010 - Bad Company 2
- MOH (Multiplayer)
2009 - Battlefield 1943
2008 - Battlefield: Bad Company

Its time for DICE to move on and try something new.

Last edited:

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Take a page out of Guerilla Games' book and step into something radical. You'd need a good writer though if you wanted to put together something like HZD.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
I still want my battlefields from DICE. However, I do want to see longer dev time and no SP.

DICE Sweden doing yearly releases just ain't working, it affects the quality and content too much.

Last edited:

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
They could start by trying to not sabotage the other EA studios with the shitty FrostBite function for Non-FPS.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
They should do something in third person. They seem so narrow only doing games in first person but I guess we know why that is after all these Schreier articles.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Garden Warfare 1 and 2 and multiplee need for Speeds use Frostbite and run totaly fine and that in third Person.

You all make it sound like with the right engine a game is automatically bug free.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure they aren't "happy" being relegated to pretty much one thing but them's the breaks with annual/semi annual IPs

surely they have something planned for whenever they get wiggle room

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Garden Warfare 1 and 2 and multiplee need for Speeds use Frostbite and run totaly fine and that in third Person.

You all make it sound like with the right engine a game is automatically bug free.

It's the weirdest thing, people talking about software they have never seen let alone used, so negatively. :)

Especially with comments like "the engine doesn't support 3rd person camera or inventory systems or whatever". As if those are engine features to begin with.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Id love a third person melee battlefield game set somewhere far in the past.

In general I just want studios to work on what theyre passionate about, but I dont think we need a new battlefield until next gen.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
They can barely put out and support a good game in the genre theyre good at these days, why should it be any different in another genre?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Hell no, this is a terrible idea and I'm glad they won't be listening for a long time.

We still need an updated modern setting Battlefield building on what made BF4 the best battlefield by the end of its life, as well as Bad Company 3.

FPS may not be a popular genre on here, but DICE make (/used to make) the best first person shooters on the market - there's no reason for them to change.

I DEFINITELY don't want them moving into making some shitty single player game - there's enough of that crap on the market already, leave FPSs alone.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should make more Mirror's Edge. But based on the original game's formula, not Catalyst's.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yes, i'd say all EA studios should try to experiment more with new genres, you can feel the fatigue in all their recent games. (except Apex)

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
The things I would do for a new Midtown Madness game.

Midtown Madness 3 was legit the best multiplayer game on the OG Xbox, I spent countless hours playing the cops & robbers mode and made a lot of friends during the early years of Xbox Live.

It would be a huge hit on Twitch/YouTube these day if there were a new entry, it's the perfect multiplayer game imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I do. Do you remember the state of BF1 at launch? BF4 and 5 clearly have been rleased to early, which doesnt mean DICE can't make good games anymore.

I give you BF1 but the more time passes the more I think that this one was an outlier. It's clear that in the timeframe from BF4 to now something went south behind the scenes, be it mismanagement or loss of talented staff and it's persistent until now. Changing genres will not change that.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Don't know about this should business. I'd be down for something new but certainly don't expect it. Shooting people is big business in video games after all.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They could start by trying to not sabotage the other EA studios with the shitty FrostBite function for Non-FPS.

It's the weirdest thing, people talking about software they have never seen let alone used, so negatively. :)

Especially with comments like "the engine doesn't support 3rd person camera or inventory systems or whatever". As if those are engine features to begin with.
I wonder how many people in here actually know what they are talking about?
BF games are huge, we are talking 64 players in destructible environments....expecting it to launch with 0 problems in any normal time frame is wishful thinking at best, deluded at worst.....the games are still fully functional at launch just a few bugs here and there.
Battlefield 4 just might be the best MP shooter this generation, and no im not being hyperbolic seriously End Game battlefield is borderline perfect.

But back to Frostbite being a "shit" engine.
Frostbite games that ARENT Fps and very different from Battlefield.

FIFA 17
FIFA 18
FIFA 19
FUT19-Hero-Tertiary-FUTLogo-xs.jpg

Madden NFL 18
Madden NFL 19
madden-nfl-19-review-3323-640x640.jpg

Need For Speed
Need For Speed Payback
Need For Speed Rivals
Need For Speed The Run
5scrmax1.jpg

Plants vs Zombies gw
Plants vs Zombies gw2
1014748_screenhi_930x524_chomper_shot1_%5E_2014-06-23-15-20-57_c8fa334f2194f5da5b20fe033caceea9c24d11d5.jpg

PGA Tour
rory-mcilroy-swing-pic.jpg

But hey its a shit engine only good at First person shooters.

On Topic
As long as they keep supporting Batlefield V for another 2 years im down for them doing something different

Nov 3, 2017
I love how people derailed this thread with their ignorant hot takes on Frostbite.

Anyway, I would actually personally be really interested in a third Mirror's Edge installment as that franchise still has a lot of untapped potential.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I give you BF1 but the more time passes the more I think that this one was an outlier. It's clear that in the timeframe from BF4 to now something went south behind the scenes, be it mismanagement or loss of talented staff and it's persistent until now. Changing genres will not change that.

I think bugs are more a sign of the two year cicle isn't enough time for them. If Bf4 and 5 would have released 6 months all would have been fine.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But not for bc2, mirrors edge: c or bf1. Also battlefield games are large multi player shooters with destruction like no other game have. The reason that they have bugs ( all games have bugs) are because of time constraint and not if they know how to use the engine or not.
Initial bugginess on release can be due to time constraints, sure.

The persistent bugginess through multiple patches, new bugs with each pass, and insanely slow content rate for the live service? That's a dev struggling with their tools.

For example:
https://imgur.com/hWRzkrR.jpg

8 months for a single character (per an EA employee), who released in an extraordinarily buggy state and who still has 2/3 abilities heavily bugged and unreliable after several subsequent patches.

That's not a time constraint.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am in the camp of let make them make what they want, including battlefield or battlefront if they want. The change I would like to see is to just let them do it instead of having to fit into the suits annual timelines and investor forecasting.

I truly believe Dice could make the game that would toast COD but it won't happen if they have to compete on the basis that EA wants to at all, they just need to be left to it.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
It would be nice if EA allowed them to experiment a bit.
Mirror's Edge is in my top 5 games of that gen. Didn't care for the sequel though.
For the foreseeable future, I can't see them being anything else than a Battlefield / Front factory but I'd love to be proven wrong. If they could at least divert a small team to new projects, that could be quite neat.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think a different genre would be too difficult for them time wise. I mean fps is their strength and even in that they struggle to release a full experience. Instead opting to release half games that take over a year after launch to be worth the price of entry. At the end of the day though they should just make what they want.