• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should DICE make something in a different genre?

• Yes, they should take a break from the first person shooters

Votes: 230 83.6%
  • No, I still want more Battlefield/Battlefront games

Votes: 45 16.4%

• Total voters

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DICE has been pumping out Battlefield/Battlefront for a good number of years now. I am starting to feel the fatigue, and maybe DICE themselves feel that way too. Yes i know they pretty recently made a mirrors edge game, but it was basically a budget title on a small team.

I am thinking of Guerilla who made four Killzone games before they decided to change genre totally and make a action-rpg. It was a succes for them.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yes. I'd like to see DICE work like Respawn (left to their own devices to do what they want) and make something that's not Battlefield. It'd probably be amazing.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, go back to making Pinball games.

Wouldn't mind another Midtown Madness or Rallysport Challenge either!

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You've mastered the FPS genre and suddenly you want to change? PS5 with VR will be designed for Dice, you are going to tell me they will abandon FPS? That's not who Dice is.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I'm pretty excited for that old cancelled sidescroller of theirs that recently got resurrected, Hardcore.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Would be interesting to see them try new things or maybe give them time to develop a new game engine that works with well with different game types.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like them to keep doing the same genre, what they seem to need badly is more time.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Only if they want. I'm fine with more BFs, I'm fine with other games. I would just like them to get more time, that's it.

Great games that I feel just need more time in the oven.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the trajectory their games have been taking I'd say it's time for something different. Surely the team is getting tired of making the same type of game as well.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly, with all of their consistent, cross game bugs that have rendered multiple titles extremely frustrating to play for the first 6 months.

Not to mention that just about every studio who has used Frostbite for genres that are not shooters have reported it to be an absolute nightmare to work with.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
They should do an RPG. No idea if it would be any good, but at least they would make Frostbite ready for it so that Bioware maybe wouldn't fuck it up the next time.
Also i love RPGs, so if it's up to me everyone should make those. (3rd Person of course)

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the whole deal of Frostbite that you stick to making the exact same type of game, or the whole thing falls apart? Lol.

Thomas

Dec 11, 2017
Sweden
They are making something other than battlefield. Here are couple of tweets from Niklas Ă…strand, he was in charge of gamemodes in battlefield and been working at DICE for 18 years.

After Christmas vacation I will officially not be working on Battlefield anymore. So no, I personally will not be making it happen. Also, I think we need new game modes that do NOT contain flags. BT, CQ, DOM and FL are enough if you ask me.
Source

After BF2, BF2142 and BF2142NS it felt nice to move to Mirror's Edge and do something else. Same thing now after BFBC2V, BF3, BF3AK, BF4, BF1 and BFV...
Source

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
maybe, DICE can make something of another genre just so they can realize how bad the engine they made is when it's not a first person multiplayer shooter.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I want more Battlefield games, but DICE have shown again they just have no idea what Battlefield is. They need to give up the franchise and have someone else try a new take on it I guess. But never happening they'll mill out mediocre Battlefield games every 2 years until EA decides to close them I guess.

Clearly, with all of their consistent, cross game bugs that have rendered multiple titles extremely frustrating to play for the first 6 months.

Pretty much this. And behind the scenes there was constant complaining about how tedious it was to solve legacy bugs and some that look somewhat simple. Its also some of the reason as to why the UI is so garbage and why its taking so long to rectify.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I think that their first priority (and the one that will stop them losing money) is building a Frostbite 2, a more friendly and easy to use engine for all the EA studios to use and, why not, other studios.

OP
OP
SantaC

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really don't. Battlefront 2 is a buggy mess that takes forever to make new content for, and the new content is literally always buggy too.

Same with Battlefield V.
But not for bc2, mirrors edge: c or bf1. Also battlefield games are large multi player shooters with destruction like no other game have. The reason that they have bugs ( all games have bugs) are because of time constraint and not if they know how to use the engine or not.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Make Battlefront 3. Have it as a single GAAS for next gen. Roll out BF6 or BC3. Then make your own shit

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They should make an Action RPG using Frostbite.
But Frostbite's "razor blades" is what caused a lot of problems for action RPG Dragon Age Inquisition's development. It was built mainly for first person shooters.

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964
BioWare first shifted to Frostbite for Dragon Age: Inquisition in 2011, which caused massive problems for that team. Many of the features those developers had taken for granted in previous engines, like a save-load system and a third-person camera, simply did not exist in Frostbite, which meant that the Inquisitionteam had to build them all from scratch. Mass Effect: Andromeda ran into similar issues. Surely the third time would be the charm?​
As it turned out, Anthem was not the charm. Using Frostbite to build an online-only action game, which BioWare had never done before, led to a host of new problems for BioWare's designers, artists, and programmers. "Frostbite is like an in-house engine with all the problems that entails—it's poorly documented, hacked together, and so on—with all the problems of an externally sourced engine," said one former BioWare employee. "Nobody you actually work with designed it, so you don't know why this thing works the way it does, why this is named the way it is."​
Throughout those early years in development, the Anthem team realized that many of the ideas they'd originally conceived would be difficult if not impossible to create on Frostbite. The engine allowed them to build big, beautiful levels, but it just wasn't equipped with the tools to support all of those ambitious prototypes that they'd created. Slowly and gradually, they started cutting back on the environmental and survival features that they'd devised for Anthem, in large part because they just weren't working.​
"Part of the trouble was you could do enough in the engine to hack it to show what was possible, but then to get the investment behind it to get it actually done took a lot longer, and in some cases you'd run into a brick wall," said a BioWare developer. "Then you'd realize, 'Oh my god, we can do this only if we reinvent the wheel, which is going to take too long.' It was sometimes difficult to know when to cut and run."​
Even today, BioWare developers say Frostbite can make their jobs exponentially more difficult. Building new iterations on levels and mechanics can be challenging due to sluggish tools, while bugs that should take a few minutes to squash might require days of back-and-forth conversations. "If it takes you a week to make a little bug fix, it discourages people from fixing bugs," said one person who worked on Anthem. "If you can hack around it, you hack around it, as opposed to fixing it properly." Said a second: "I would say the biggest problem I had with Frostbite was how many steps you needed to do something basic. With another engine I could do something myself, maybe with a designer. Here it's a complicated thing."​
"It's hard enough to make a game," said a third BioWare developer. "It's really hard to make a game where you have to fight your own tool set all the time."​
From the beginning, Anthem's senior leadership had made the decision to start from scratch for a large part of the game's technology rather than using all of the systems the company had built for Inquisition and Andromeda. Part of this may have been a desire to stand out from those other teams, but another explanation was simple: Anthem was online. The other games were not. The inventory system that BioWare had already designed for Dragon Age on Frostbite might not stand up in an online game, so the Anthem team figured they'd need to build a new one. "Towards the end of the project we started complaining," said one developer. "Maybe we would've gone further if we had Dragon Age: Inquisition stuff. But we're also just complaining about lack of manpower in general."​
It often felt to the Anthem team like they were understaffed, according to that developer and others who worked on the game, many of whom told me their team was a fraction of the size of developers behind similar games, like Destinyand The Division. There were a number of reasons for this. One was that in 2016, the FIFA games had to move to Frostbite. The annual soccer franchise was EA's most important series, bringing in a large chunk of the publisher's revenue, and BioWare had programmers with Frostbite experience, so Electronic Arts shifted them to FIFA.​
"A lot of the really talented engineers were actually working on FIFA when they should've been working on Anthem," said one person who was on the project. There was also the fact that BioWare's main office was located in Edmonton, a place where winters can dip to minus 20 or even minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit, which staff there say has always made it difficult to recruit veterans from more habitable cities. (One also has to wonder: How many programmers heard about Frostbite's razor blades and decided to shy away?)​
When a BioWare engineer had questions or wanted to report bugs, they'd usually have to talk to EA's central Frostbite team, a group of support staff that worked with all of the publisher's studios. Within EA, it was common for studios to battle for resources like the Frostbite team's time, and BioWare would usually lose those battles. After all, role-playing games brought in a fraction of the revenue of a FIFA or a Battlefront. "The amount of support you'd get at EA on Frostbite is based on how much money your studio's game is going to make," said one developer. All of BioWare's best-laid technological plans could go awry if they weren't getting the help they expected.​
No matter how many people were involved, one thing about Frostbite would always remain consistent, as it did on Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect: Andromeda: It made everything take longer than anyone thought it should. "We're trying to make this huge procedural world but we're constantly fighting Frostbite because that's not what it's designed to do," said one developer. "Things like baking the lighting can take 24 hours. If we're making changes to a level, we have to go through another bake process. It's a very complex process."​
Frostbite's razor blades were buried deeply inside the Anthem team, and it would prove impossible to stop the bleeding.​

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They should make a classic era BioWare style RPG

I mean, someone at EA might as well give that kind of game a shot

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I'd just like to see them make a good Battlefield game again. That would be different.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
DICE has been pumping out Battlefield/Battlefront for a good number of years now. I am starting to feel the fatigue, and maybe DICE themselves feel that way too. Yes i know they pretty recently made a mirrors edge game, but it was basically a budget title on a small team.

I am thinking of Guerilla who made four Killzone games before they decided to change genre totally and make a action-rpg. It was a succes for them.

Yes, but only if they're forced to use Frostbite. I want to see if they endure the same difficulties sister developers have had to when developing a different genre title on the engine. I'm only half joking.

Stayfone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Instead of them making something else, how about you give them the time and freedom to create the game they want to instead of rushing products out and being forced to add micro-transactions. A Battlefield game with a production-time of 4 years would be revolutionary.