• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I swear I was wondering why this wasn't being talked about here a few hours back, but it was! Never disappointed.

And no, it was a funny cutscene that was a callback to Dante's dancing scene in DMC4. That is all.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
big difference between the simpsons removing an episode featuring the actual, literal michael jackson and a game using dance moves made popular by the person.
I agree. It isn't referencing him specifically. Someone with no knowledge of MJ would just think Dante was being a goofball, which he was.

Go ahead and fucking post them. I've heard them too. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about and you don't know anything about what abuse does to people.

God, this fucking thread.

Nothing good is going to come out of a overly emotionally charged discussion. This clearly has upset you and it might be good to take a breather for a minute.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much.

The Simpsons move is fine and considerate. It's not like Capcom can just swap this scene out with something else though. It's a little more involved than just pulling one episode, out of hundreds, out of circulation.

Supporting victims doesn't mean trying to erase all evidence of the perpetrator from culture at large. People are gonna play MJ records, they're gonna Moonwalk, it is what it is.
Agreed. If anything Dante is big enough to own the move past MJ. He has enough legacy to shown the dance is his gimmick and not MJs.

Bruno mars or whoever great performer shouldnt shy from similar move too because they can pull it and own it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean, if you saw the games I buy you'd really not find it surprising that I'd pick up DMC. I bought the Kingdom Hearts complete set because 3 looked interesting and I'd not played any. I've put a few hours into one and not the others. I pick up most major releases I'm interested in on any level.

Not sure why "I was considering buying this" is such a stumbling block for you.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
No, not really. MJs dances aren't really exclusive to him at this point, given the iconic nature of his movie career. And that's what the reference is to. It's light hearted fun and peak Dante, you can separate the two.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's the world of Netflix documentaries turning the planet into detectives. I respect the victims and absolutely support their right to seek an investigation. But a netflix documentary is not a trial with evidence.
We know he was a predator and a child abuser. I suppose some people can have doubts on whether on not he molested kids, but he groomed and abused them either way no doubt

I mean just watch this shit

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. His cultural impact was huge and will be seen all around for pretty much ever, no matter how shitty he was.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Lmao naysayers using excuses akin to the 7000 year old dragon argument to save their precious videogame cutscene.

trippyturtle

Mar 11, 2019
The scene's already on YouTube for everyone to see.

For every video Capcom tries to remove, two more will show up in its place. I'd leave the scene be, and tread away from M.J. references in the future.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The scene is out there now. It's one of the more iconic scenes in the game as well.

Removing it is pointless. It's done.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a tribute to Miracle Johnson.

tumblr_okzog0xBmY1qjqehno4_1280.jpg

On a serious note, yeah cut him. The scene adds nothing and its removal would detract nothing.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Nah its fine.

MJ was one of the biggest celebs the world has ever seen and a cultural phenom that spread across the almost all people. I don't even really like the guy/have listened to his music seriously but even with the controversy his impact was more than that. The allegations existed before this game was made and after it with reissued ones. Not saying free pass if guilty, but I think general tributes to his performances and persona are fine.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

If we're gonna begin with erasing MJ from history, it will take a lot of work
A LOT. Dude is one of the biggest stars that ever lived and have a reference in every piece of media possible.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Where are people victim blaming in here? You know what that means right?

What's this, then?

Leaving Neverland isn't proof. It's just the hot topic at the moment - I'd hate to call it a memeing for fear of minimizing potential child abuse, but that's what bandwagoners who take and parrot shit at face value are doing. Many people don't believe Wade Robson and have given long, detailed reasons as to why.

Either accusing the victims of lying or otherwise blaming them on some shit that literally doesn't exist (FBI report).

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care if they keep or remove it either way, they are a company and should be able to do what they want. Either way it doesn't really affect the game.

Any discussion beyond this goes beyond the spectrum of gaming imo. Either way it's not like MJ is even profiting off of this so I genuinely don't get why some people are so mad.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is like that one article a while back that said people shouldn't make games based off Lovecraft anymore.

It's hard to argue to stop doing something when a) people are just referencing a bad person and not celebrating them, and b) they're dead and can't benefit from the references.
Was thinking of the same thread. My opinion is the same - a reference to the work of someone problematic is not an endorsement of them as a person, especially when there's seemingly no trace of the problematic aspect of them as a person in the work.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is already profoundly, profoundly disturbing and disgusting.

A lot of victim blaming supporters of pedophilia. Incredible. All for your fucking video games.
I agree there's definitely some disgusting comments in here but I don't think anyone being okay with the cutscene being in is in anyway excusing pedophilia.

OP
OP
ZeroX

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
There's been a lot of posts but just to clarify a few things

- I'm not mad or condemning Capcom for this. As mentioned in the OP, I recognize this was not developed within the last month. However, as the game is still likely actively being fixed and DLC is developed it would still be feasible to make changes. The comparison to Yakuza 0 is a false equivalence. I'm not saying go back and change all games.

- Capcom's intention with the scene may have not been intended as a reference Michael Jackson, but the reading of the scene by basically everyone in the West is that it is, which they've acknowledged. I do not believe the scene is intended to glorify pedophilia, but rather ask at what point do intentions stop mattering when they hurt others?

- Michael Jackson's guilt not withstanding (and I do believe the victims), he has become a symbol of the sexual assault of children. Whether or not you believe in his guilt, I would ask that you consider what impact his presence would have on victims.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's not a tribute to Micheal Jackson. It's just a dumb, funny scene that references his work. It's nothing like that Simpsons episode that was pulled.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
We should take it the other direction and replace all media with Michael Jackson in it with Dante. Thriller is now a Son of Sparda joint.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
No, because there's no reason to remove it.

It's this kind of flawed logic and narrow-minded binary thinking that stifles creative critique and reasonable discussion.

Reasonable discussion about whether or not Michael Jackson fucked kids? What are you talking about?

MJ is a symbol of pedophilia, if you're defending his music you need to own up to what you're defending.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with glorifying a pedophile then? OK
We have different definitions of glorifying then. Erasing history doesn't solve his probable crimes regardless. I really don't love the tone some people are having in this thread basically accusing others of condoning paedophilia, it is needlessly aggressive and awful.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Unlike simpson and radio station who include actual michael jackson, this one is just a reference.

But if Capcom want to change it down the line, sure, i'm okay with that. Just give us more fabulous dance

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
It's parody

Inside out have a small scene that parody roman polanski movie Chinatown.
And Disney's Okay to keep it.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. it was a funny cutscene, that's it

MJ's dance moves are just a part of pop culture. I knew what they were, as a kid, before I know who michael jackson was

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I believe his art has transcended him. I see no point in removing the scene. If capcom wants to do something they can just patch in relevant text before the title in the same vein as the WB cartoons disclaimer.

I've not seen the documentary so I can't comment on that.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I thought everyone had made up their minds in the mid-nineties. Is this wave just from people who were too young the first time around (or even the second?)

Status
Not open for further replies.