• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of stupid to put it in in the first place given the controversial history even before the documentary.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's just really unfortunate timing. The Simpsons thing is completely different because Michael Jackson literally did lines for that one.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Well, on one hand a simple reference its not really a company approving of something nefarious, MJ is a pop culture icon and Dante dancing in a cutscene doesn't mean much more than that.

On the other hand if they remove it in support of that cause, well, then its alright nobody should get angry over it. Its an unfortunate circumstance

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that there is a substantial difference between something which stars Jackson himself and results in money going to his estate and something that is just a veiled reference to him. Maybe it didn't need to be made in the first place and should inform future creators but I don't think there's an impending need to remove it

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the scene in question was developed well in advance of the documentary's release so Capcom couldn't have seen the poor timing in conjunction with the documentary release, but allegations regarding Jackson's abuse have been around for 25 years at this point. ]

Not saying that they shouldn't remove it (they probably should) but absolutely no one was removing their MJ references from their shows until Leaving Neverland, even the simpsons made callbacks in fairly recent episode to the MJ episode, so the allegations existing for 25 years can't really be used against DMC V when nobody else was doing anything about it either during that time, like, what's next? going after any show that made a thriller reference? going after Megamind for using "Bad" in their ending scene?

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
Of course not. This scene has nothing to do with Michael Jackson the person. It's just Dante being a goofball.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So you think that the positives to the humor outweighs the potential trauma it could have to child sex abuse victims? I don't mean that in a snarky way, I mean that as a sincere question between balancing the line between comedy and the audience's sensitivities.

The game is still in development though. They can patch it out. That's the question. I'm not criticizing it for the initial inclusion because as mentioned it would have been greenlit years ago. I'm not even saying they 100% should patch it out, I want to hear people's opinions.
But Jackson is not in it ? Doesn't seem like there is anything that can be used to deplatform a dead man. DMC5 isn't normalizing Jackson through this, it's just a hodgepodge of various references.

Jun 12, 2018
He groomed the two kids he fucked since the age of 6 to lie for him on the stand. It took all this time for them to admit it, as it would with any victim of this type of abuse for such a long time.

Lovecraft didn't literally rape young children. I'm really tired of entertaining fools who want to bury their head in the sand, the music now hearkens directly back to widely accepted pedophilia.
Hmm I gotta check out this documentary then, cause my memory of the trial consists of pretty damning voice recordings and other pieces of evidence of parents stating their attempt to try to extort MJ.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
So you think that the positives to the humor outweighs the potential trauma it could have to child sex abuse victims? I don't mean that in a snarky way, I mean that as a sincere question between balancing the line between comedy and the audience's sensitivities.

Not sure I can answer the first question, but would you also have it so no media or dance troupe can utilize the moonwalk? It's not a 1-to-1 comparison, but if we're removing things like this that is mostly just choreography I think it begs the question.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, hold on I fucking got this.
Just call Dr.Faust a devil arm, and as we know devil arms are subdued actual living demons.
Dr.Faust is MJ's devil arm, since he was a child predator demon.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
No. For fuck's sake he's just having fun. Actually I'm not even going to bother because I know it won't be removed from game. This forum can be absolutely ridiculous.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not understanding how a tongue-in-cheek cultural reference could be construed as "a positive nod to a pedophile" by anything short of the most tortured logic.

Contrived controversy is a hobby for some people.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) - Inflammatory comment in a thread concerning allegations of child sexual abuse
I find distusting that people act as if that documentary is 101% proof of Michael Jackson being guilty, since the movie's only purpose is to be provocative and shocking, leaving behind all uncomfortable questions such as shady past of alleged victims.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just bad timing (not a foreign occurrence from the company who revealed Box Art Megaman amidst the agony of Legends 3/Universe's cancellations). It's a reference (a detailed one), but I'm not sure it quantifies for the effort to have it removed. There are hundreds of pieces of media with MJ/Moonwalk references that I feel are low-frequency enough to leave them to exist as dances that simply float about our culture now, MJ or no MJ.

The Simpsons episode's removal is a special case since the entire episode, voicework and song writing is focused on him. Other examples include MJ appearing in Space Channel 5, and even Sonic 3's soundtrack that feature MJ or elements of MJ very prominently. But the rest seem like more trouble than it's worth, unless we're willing to roll up our sleeves and begin the surgical removal of all moonwalk/whooping references in all of media. Not that I'd be against it if truly does bother people enough, but it's just the precedent it would set.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
No.. its not a tribute. Its Dante being silly. No way its cross his damn mind "guy is a pedo tho"

Come on

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Michael Jackson has the bestselling album of all time, is inevitable that he's going to have pop culture influences.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
But Jackson is not in it ? Doesn't seem like there is anything that can be used to deplatform a dead man. DMC5 isn't normalizing Jackson through this, it's just a hodgepodge of various references.
You know what disregard my post because I forgot Leaving Neverland and I don't know the full context of what's going on to make a point

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, let's trust a documentary that only tells one side of a story as fact and not a 10+ year FBI investigation that found nothing

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I don't see much of a real point. It's unfortunately timed but ultimately it's not like it's doing anything that thousands of different pieces of media have done for decades.

If they wanted to remove it then they should, and no one should deny them that right, but as it stands I can't see any reason to single this game out other than it being the new hot thing.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, hold on I fucking got this.
Just call Dr.Faust a devil arm, and as we know devil arms are subdued actual living demons.
Dr.Faust is MJ's devil arm, since he was a child predator demon.

I figured Dante was just a big fan and would defend him no matter what

Dante: FBI didn't find anything, he was found not guilty, get over it Nero.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Not gonna lie, its funny people were crying "censorship!" about buttcheeks but now "you gotta take this out!"

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
User Banned (1 Week) - Inflammatory comment in a thread concerning allegations of child sexual abuse
I find distusting that people act as if that documentary is 101% proof of Michael Jackson being guilty, since the movie's only purpose is to be provocative and shocking, leaving behind all uncomfortable questions such as shady past of alleged victims.
This

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

Ah okay, but a post like this isn't gross at all? Understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.