• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should it be hit with the reboot stick?

• Yes

Votes: 832 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 259 16.5%
  • Halo is dad

Votes: 381 24.3%
  • Continue The Current Story

Votes: 95 6.1%

• Total voters

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Seems to be like reports of 343i campaign story team being winded down isn't fully true, added new poll options to reflect this and updated some of the thread to reflect this.

My personal critiques with current Halo story are usually as follows:
Starting with Halo 4 we kept on hitting a cycle of "New Thing > Game Ends > Drop New Thing > Repeat"
-Halo 4, introduced the Didact and forerunners and enemies, Master Chief is a chosen space man who's luck was all part of a master plan by the Liberian or some shit, Didact is then stuck in comic and book land forever.
-Halo 5, Cortana is now the bad guy and made a lot of AI have an uprising, this is immediately ended off screen.
-Halo Wars 2, "Ummmmmm ACTUALLY the covenant were fighting two wars at once"
-Halo Infinite, The Banished are here, oh but now here are things called The Endless, also we killed the SP team so no expansions planned.

The story kept on changing direction and over reacting to feedback when it came to the story (I don't imagine this was ideal for the story team), I also don't think Infinite was bad, but the universe seems a bit messy at the moment. Too many concepts introduced and just dropped to me that will be a bit hard to reconnect together (I would love to be proven wrong though)

I personally would like to see if they go down a reboot route, a reboot of 1 - 3 adding in /some/ of the EU stuff like Blue team from the get go and expanding upon things, also maybe just combine Halo 2 and 3, or turn First Strike into a game so Halo 2 has some more fluff.

Curious as to how others feel about the subject honestly as Halo won't be dropped, but something is clearly going to need to happen with it.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
A reboot would take 10 years to be released complete, so just try to save Infinite

I think rebooting means basically never giving this version of the Chief etc a proper closure. The problem is Halo is in a purgatory where it wants to be half foot a traditional Halo game but also half foot of new trends like Infinite being based around Hero-ish Abilities (Grapple hook taken from Apex Legends). Along with messy development with short attention spans.

Oct 26, 2017
I think CE has a ton of potential for a RE4R style remake. It's pretty barebones compared to modern games, and so much more can be done with the characters, story, and world. Plus, Halo's last decade has not been able to establish a solid direction for the series, so might as well go back to what works.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
with how... intense... the halo fanbase seems to be, i can't imagine any non-bungie studio announcing a halo 1-3 reboot and it going over well.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Nah. The bones for everything are there. Fun campaign, just needs more variety in environments. Fun MP, just needs more content.

Both of these are capable of being remedied. People always want to shit on Halo, but the gunplay and sandbox is second to none.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
or should be okay for a series, even a popular one, to just end. Trying to drag it on forever just gets you into the situation Halo is in now. We don't need any more. I've had a lot of dug with 343's games over the years but honestly I think the series should've gone out on top after Reach.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
or should be okay for a series, even a popular one, to just end. Trying to drag it on forever just gets you into the situation Halo is in now. We don't need any more. I've had a lot of dug with 343's games over the years but honestly I think the series should've gone out on top after Reach.
The thing is that no game really plays like Halo so while I agree a franchise should be allowed to conclude, I also don't want the last major arena shooter to vanish.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
No. A hard reboot makes zero sense. Just carry on and actually commit to the foundation Infinite brought.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I love Halo, it's one of my all time favorite series. They need to give it a rest for a while. Let it sit for 5 years.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I love Halo, it's one of my all time favorite series. They need to give it a rest for a while. Let it sit for 5 years.

I mean all things considered that'll probably be what happens mainline SP wise.
There doesn't exactly seem to be a rush to do a follow-up and we know the SP team were let go for Infinite.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect not even MS knows what to do with Halo at this point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what you COULD do with a Halo reboot, to be honest. Like what are they gonna do, retell Combat Reborn's story all over again with new voice actors?

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The bones for everything are there. Fun campaign, just needs more variety in environments. Fun MP, just needs more content.

Both of these are capable of being remedied. People always want to shit on Halo, but the gunplay and sandbox is second to none.
I am talking about story, the lore is a full blown mess at this point even if you are a Halo fan.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
As a Halo 4 apologist who even liked what Halo 5 set up, at this point they should just do a full reboot. Whatever they decide to do 343 needs to fully commit to their idea for the story and stop responding to the fans who complain online and trying to pivot with each new entry.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what you COULD do with a Halo reboot, to be honest. Like what are they gonna do, retell Combat Reborn's story all over again with new voice actors?
Pre-343i, Halo had a good amount of EU that could be added to the game. But if we can have the RE-Remakes pretty much do the same things with slight changes, I think Halo can too

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Infinite was the (soft) reboot.

Eh, it was an extremely soft reboot. All they really "rebooted" was ditching the storyline with the Prometheans and stuff. And they didn't retcon it or anything; they just refocused the story and time jumped a bit past it.

I'd be fine with them taking some time and doing a more comprehensive reboot at this point of what Halo is - especially if they're moving to a new engine/toolset anyways. The MCC is there for people who just want to play what Halo "was" for the rest of eternity, and it's well supported.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
I've never liked the aesthetics of Halo, the plastic Mattel toy looking armor, especially when compared to other great sci-fi IPs, that's one thing that definitely seems to need improvement. Having said that Halo was a cultural phenom so what do I know.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Maybe it's best to focus on the good gameplay and try to do something on a smaller scale to get things right without too much pressure.

Something like ODST?
Please no remake.
There's so much that can be done, just use a proper character different to master chief.

But overall I don't really care anymore.
Better to make no games than shitty ones.

thejpfin

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I think they should make direct spiritual successor to Halo 3. New halo that has Halo 3's gameplay and level design.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
At this point it's better to just build the universe into something else. Maybe revisit Halo Wars or try their hands at a Space Exploration game in the vein of Elite: Dangerous.

I think Infinite has proven that the core mechanics of Halo feel dated alienating the casual mainstream audience looking for something more like CoD while also not being fresh and new enough for the core audience to invest their time in.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was talking about this earlier and overall it's a pretty open-ended question.

Halo is still a big IP. You think Xbox, you still think "Halo".
The big issue stems from "Will a reboot magically fix all the issues the series has at the moment?". As said in the OP they've effectively started and dropped numerous ideas under 343 and this would then be the 4th time they've done so if we got a reboot. So while it can be seen as one such solution, I don't think it fixes the overall narrative issues the series currently has.

The story being a "mess" steams a lot from how a lot of it has been presented. The OG Halo series had a lot to chew on but your mainstream consumer always had the jist on most of the stuff going on. While starting with Halo 4 and going into Infinite, 343 really expected their players would do their homework when that's not the case.

Unlike say God of War that dropped Kratos well into his time in a new Mythos and we all learned about that together, Halo under 343 always felt like you were missing a book or something else rather than being on the same page of "Oh, this is new and there are supposed to be some mysteries".

----------

Overall, at this point I think sticking with Halo Infinite is the best bet. They just need to get an actual idea of where they want to go and actually commit instead of constantly bending to fans. Sometimes you just have to do things they might not know they'll like within reason.

Halo should be a Sandbox style FPS where you're rewarded for thinking outside the box in SP. From there, you should have a simple story that those who are hardcore can dig into more. With that said the story should still be branching out more even if Chief is still the main character. Let us actually interact with other Spartans again, let's play around with the idea that some Elites are on our side now. Even when things go back to basics, it should feel like the series as a whole has progressed.

Despite the faults of Halo 5, some of those good ideas were there in building up the world, so it was as shame to see Infinite regress a bit too much in that department.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Honestly, I'd say, keep the storyline on Ice for the foreseeable future. Maybe tell your little narrative events in MP, but I dunno. Maybe it's time to just retire the campaigns and keep it as an arena shooter? Given they've laid off the SP team, that might be the plan now--Infinite had a longer-than-usual dev time, got an extra year for polish, and still came in hot in both aspects... but more people play Halo for the MP than the story, I think.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Brutes also need improvement, I feel bad killing Craig and his friends. An alien adversary that is more sinister like Starship Trooper bugs, Alien/Starcraft xenomorphs, or your Spartan's only source of healing is causing pain to orc boyz like an Ultramarine etc.,

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Dunno how id get the fans trust back after dropping 2 storylines in a row. Id continue Infinite.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I would like RE style remakes of 1-ODST then go from there.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Full reboot or kill it. Never thought I would suggest either of those but after Infinite, yeah, the goose is cooked.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They start by getting good will back by announcing Halo 3 Anniversary Edition tbh