• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always feel a little guilty totally avoiding eye contact, but at the same time it feels rude to make that kind of connection and not give them a hand. I hope to one day donate time and money to shelters. When I studied abroad in London, the professor had a long time friend come in to discuss what it was like living just off Kensington High Street. It was a really moving experience as she discussed how she came to be homeless (domestic abuse), how she survived day to day, and how she and her dog, a lovely German Shepherd, worked together. The dog brought in most of the donations and had even received some kind of surgery from one person, showing how people are more generous to animals than people. Thankfully she had been placed in government provided housing by the time she spoke to us and was doing better, but was unable to pursue a job because it would put her housing at risk. It was an excellent, and deservedly uncomfortable experience which has made me much more sympathetic to those living in such horrible conditions.
Quoting my post from your last homeless thread. Often the animals receive more attention and are treated better than the people. What would you propose doing with them? It's not like most cities' have, or more accurately are willing to spend, the resources to round up and care for these animals for the rest of their lives

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a class the question is bogus. It depends on the individual. Plenty of rich people treat their pets worse than the scrubbiest derelict.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where in my post do I say that? Is putting "please read first" in all caps not enough to get people to read the actual post?

Your position is that it's morally wrong for homeless people to have pets, which are just strays that were taken in by them in the first place, because of your assumptions of how they will treat those strays.

You didn't honestly expect most people to find that logical, did you?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
PLEASE READ FIRST

I am not suggesting animal control control take away people's pets. I'm merely asking if it is right from a moral perspective. These animals do not have a proper home, they are not getting medical care that they need and have almost no chance at a healthy diet.

I would like Era's thoughts on the matter but please try to avoid getting emotional just because I asked the question.

Before anyone proposes to take away a homeless person's pet, they should first be required to explain why it wouldn't be more appropriate to give them a home.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dog protects the homeless and gives Company

The dog receives food and Company.

There's some Street dogs that are not used to live in houses, the best solution is to Help both and not Separate them.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad that people are pointing out the obvious. Homeless people aren't going to pet stores and buying animals. What do you think would happen to that animal if the homeless person wasn't caring for it?

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But just think of the poor dog who has to live outside. Never mind that the human is also living outside, but that's hardly important. The poor puppy!

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone deserves companionship. If a homeless person and a homeless animal link up, I don't see why that should be a problem. If the animal was homeless to begin with its quality of life wouldn't be getting worse.

This is to say nothing of the societal failures that lead to homeless people and animals, of course.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest things about the bond between man and his dog is unconditional love a dog shows. Dogs don't care how you look, how you smell, if you have mental problems, or even if you're homeless. I'd say a homeless person and a homeless dog bonding and making it in the world together is honestly one of the purest examples of companionship that can exist in the world. Everybody who can give proper emotional care to a pet should have one, homeless or not.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Its actually a big problem.

For instance low income housing rules generally dont allow pets and since homeless ppl dont want to give them up they refuse the services of the likes of the Salvation Army

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the fact that many people that give a hard no without any consideration probably crate a dog for hours per day.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Where in my post do I say that? Is putting "please read first" in all caps not enough to get people to read the actual post?
I think people are just confused as what you find morally acceptable/objectionable about this topic since it's not clear.

Do you have an opinion one way or the other, or did you just want the community to discuss among ourselves?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Ya'll also want to stop this Canadian Icon..?
it cant be stopped by force

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.png

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are just confused as what you find morally acceptable/objectionable about this topic since it's not clear.

Do you have an opinion one way or the other, or did you just want the community to discuss among ourselves?

I'm personally not sure. I can see arguments on both sides. One thing people have pointed out is that homeless put the well being of their pet above their own which I see as a bad thing. It's limiting their options for housing and potentially risking their own health.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen many homeless people with dogs. The pets seem fine for the most part and would be put to sleep if the pound catches them. Seems to help the homeless people get money too. I'm fine with it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
We do such a terrible, terrible job of caring for our homeless. If their pets are suffering somehow, it's on us.

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017
If homeless folks having pets motivates everyone else to get those people into homes, then yes absolutely.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a homeless person at the moment, one of my first thoughts was "damn I need a companion" and yes it's needs would be met before mine, because that's what you do. Still waiting for my magical stray Boston terrier

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes? The fuck is wrong with you. They aren't taking animals who already have a home, they are caring for strays in a mutually beneficial relationship 99% of the time.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Most of these homeless people who "own" a stray dog or cat have a codependent relationship. They help each other. Some beg with the animal and a lot of them put the animal's needs over their own. If you've seen the Animal Planet show Dr Jeff, the vet in that show treats low income and homeless people's animals with no promise of payment. And they come in fairly often. The point being, if you care enough to want to take care of your animal you can try and find ways to do so. Just because they are homeless doesn't mean they won't care. How many animals maladies are left untreated in sheltered homes by families who refuse to spend the money if their pets get sick?

Basically, if an animal and a human choose each other for companionship, who are we to tear them apart in the name of some strange moral appeal to the animals on the baseless assumption that the animals can't or won't get care or will have a better life elsewhere?

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm trying to imagine the scenario where finding shelter for a homeless person's pet but leaving the homeless person out on the street doesn't make you look like a gigantic asshole.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The homeless are people and need companionship just like anyone else, more so actually. I was homeless for a time and a having a dog would have been a huge boost, in terms of safety and moral. I find this thread dehumanizing.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
But just think of the poor dog who has to live outside. Never mind that the human is also living outside, but that's hardly important. The poor puppy!
I admit here in Phoenix it is a bit concerning. I don't know how they do it in the Summer, but the dogs I've seen, seem fine. There are shelters, for example, that probably don't allow dogs.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no they shouldn't. Anyone who can't properly take care of their pet, shouldn't have one. And I do think that these animals should be taken from homeless people and replaced into homes that can take care of them.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Fuck no they shouldn't. Anyone who can't properly take care of their pet, shouldn't have one. And I do think that these animals should be taken from homeless people and replaced into homes that can take care of them.
So you want them dead because that's what's going to happen. As long as they are not suffering, I just can't agree with your point. This isn't a fantasy land where every dog gets adopted especially full grown ones.

JORMBO

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I volunteered at an animal rescue for a long time. There's plenty of rich people with big homes that don't take good care of their pets.

If a homeless person can care for their pet I don't see why not.

The-Trusty-Paws-Clinic.jpg

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

How do you know if the pet is properly taken care of? You'd have to get off that high horse and actually get to know somebody in that situation, but that'd be too much work, huh.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I love how you even question what homeless people are entitled to. I now hate myself for even having the words "homeless" and "entitled" in the same sentence.