• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
There are some people on here who have a really disgusting attitude towards the homeless.
the boot strap mentality is going to die a long and slow death. Even when we're being fed factual reasons why people find themselves in situations that lead to homelessness and how little programs and policy decisions actually help in this country.

Also another positive for the homeless to have pets is the pets often look out for them and are the first line of defense if an attacker tries to run up on them. It happens far too often, especially those still carrying items from their former life that can be sold off at a pawn shop or on the street.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the posts here have my blood boiling. The ignorance is just astounding.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
100% yes, homeless people should be allowed to have pets. For some homeless people, it is their only companionship they have while living on the streets. As others have said, strays may stick around homeless people for co-dependence reasons. Another thing to consider is maybe the pets that homeless people have were their pets from when they had a home. I think it would be awful to take pets away from homeless people. These animals would most likely end up in a kill shelter if it wasn't for the homeless. As a society, we spend most of our time ignoring the homeless, and I think taking one aspect of life they still enjoy away from them would be devastating.

This video is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
The "homeless" people in my town (most are "homeless by choice" lazy hippies who harass tourists for money) tend to always have puppies and kittens in order to get some extra pity points. I don't even want to know where those animals end up once they've outgrown their usefulness.

That said, as long as someone has the ability to take care of a pet, I don't see the problem.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The "homeless" people in my town (most are "homeless by choice" lazy hippies who harass tourists for money) tend to always have puppies and kittens in order to get some extra pity points. I don't even want to know where those animals end up once they've outgrown their usefulness.

That said, as long as someone has the ability to take care of a pet, I don't see the problem.
I don't think I've ever seen any homeless person here in the Bay Area that has a puppy or kitten with them. They've almost always been adult (or at least not a puppy or kitten) animals.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I don't think I've ever seen any homeless person here in the Bay Area that has a puppy or kitten with them. They've almost always been adult (or at least not a puppy or kitten) animals.

Yeah, I noticed the same when I visit family in SF or when I go to Portland. The homeless people there don't strike me as the "homeless by choice" type.

Unfortunately my town is an ideal place for people to live on the street during the summer and call it their "lifestyle choice." It's warm, the scenery is nice, and they get loads of money from all the Oregon Shakespeare Festival tourists who don't know any better and who are drawn in by their cute "pets." Meanwhile, the homeless with mental health issues and those who actually need the help suffer all the more. It's very frustrating.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I noticed the same when I visit family in SF or when I go to Portland. The homeless people there don't strike me as the "homeless by choice" type.

Unfortunately my town is an ideal place for people to live on the street during the summer and call it their "lifestyle choice." It's warm, the scenery is nice, and they get loads of money from all the Oregon Shakespeare Festival tourists who don't know any better and who are drawn in by their cute "pets." Meanwhile, the homeless with mental health issues and those who actually need the help suffer all the more. It's very frustrating.
That sounds terrible.

Also, true about the issue of homelessness comparatively.

I guess it's situation like those that causes stigmatization about the homeless and might explain some of the responses from this thread, which is a damn shame.

I'm guessing you live around UO?

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, why not. It's not like homeless people go to breeders or shelters to pick up dogs. It's mostly street dogs, so why not have a human at lease give it some protection.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
That sounds terrible.

Also, true about the issue of homelessness comparatively.

I guess it's situation like those that causes stigmatization about the homeless and might explain some of the responses from this thread, which is a damn shame.

I'm guessing you live around UO?

Southern Oregon. And yeah, people got so fed up from being harassed all the time by these people that new laws were passed in order to discourage them from being here. The laws worked, but unfortunately that also affected those who legitimately needed help and weren't doing anything wrong.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Southern Oregon. And yeah, people got so fed up from being harassed all the time by these people that new laws were passed in order to discourage them from being here. The laws worked, but unfortunately that also affected those who legitimately needed help and weren't doing anything wrong.
One step forward, two steps back. ~_~

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there should be a program to rescue homeless dog and replace them with:

Dog-Shaped-Autonom_3301137b.jpg

But then they might become these guys best friends:

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
living in San Francisco, I get to see many homeless people with different stories, attitudes towards public space, mental illness levels, drugs of choice, social stability, etc. Some are homeless because it's cool, some because of economic distress, and some are homeless because they've lost touch with reality. Many stories are a mix of the last two themes.

I don't think a blanket ban on pet ownership would be appropriate but I do think (like some people with homes) many homeless people and their pets would be better off without.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the recent snow storm in NYC, I saw a homeless looking panhandler in midtown with a dog. The dog was lying on his back in a dog bed while the owner cleaned the salt from his paws. Seemed pretty happy to me

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
I know tons of people with money and nice houses and they have no business having pets. It has nothing to do with finances/home-ownership and everything to do with havin the will and want to actually take care of it

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, and I am not sure what timeline people stepped into to even remotely think its acceptable to judge or hold contempt for the homeless. It's not a good look.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Like many have said in this thread, I've seen Homeless people look out for their dogs....before their own well being.