• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought this game, and I'm super hyped since it'll be my first DKC game since the original.

Do you guys recommend playing on the easier "Funky Mode" or the Original Wii U Mode? Is the challenge in the latter actually fun or just annoying?

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
You can use Funky Mode and play with Donkey Kong and it will be easier than regular mode but harder than playing with Funky.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. It looks like using the super leaf in the recent Mario games. Basically a super easy mode for people that aren't very good at games.

I've only played the original and would probably recommend anyone posting on a gaming forum to probably just play the regular mode.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. The game is designed around the original difficulty. Funky mode just breaks the game. There are enough items as is that can help you with the more difficulty stages.

Just practice the "roll-jump" move and you will be set.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go with the original mode unless you find it too difficult. Funky Mode's fun but it kinda breaks the level design. It's nice to have for accessibility though!

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Play with Funky for the underwater levels for sure, he can breathe underwater and it makes those levels 10X better than stressing about finding oxygen bubbles all the time (not sure why they did that in the first place).

The rest is up to you. I found the game more enjoyable using Funky overall. It can be challenging to the level of pointless frustration otherwise, but I have very limited patience for high difficulty these days.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Original difficulty is probably fine. Funky Mode is more like the "Super Leaf Mode" equivalent for this game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funky Mode gives you an automatic five hearts for every level (whereas normally each Kong only has two) and Funky has the abilities of all the Kongs together.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. Some levels will stress you out but it's pretty easy to get lives and retry them. My son beat it when he was like 8 on WiiU with no funky.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
You can use Funky Mode and play with Donkey Kong and it will be easier than regular mode but harder than playing with Funky.
Yes do this

I played on default difficulty the whole way through and honestly the game wasn't that hard until the last world or two where there is a huge difficulty spike and the levels are very hard.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this game, and I'm super hyped since it'll be my first DKC game since the original.

Do you guys recommend playing on the easier "Funky Mode" or the Original Wii U Mode? Is the challenge in the latter actually fun or just annoying?
If you go Funky Mode, I don't think you're able to enter the temple stages in each world, which are some of the most intense platforming challenges in the game.

That said, I don't see the harm in running Funky Mode. Funky's a legitimately fun character to blast through stages with since his double jump keeps momentum off his rolls. If you start to feel like you're robbing yourself of the Donkey Kong experience, you can switch over to DK and still keep the extra gameplay assists like extra hearts to make getting through the bosses a lot less painful.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'd go with the original difficulty. the game isn't THAT hard, unless you're going for 100% in which case you probably like the game enough that you'll enjoy the challenge.

i feel like funky mode is for players who have little experience with platformers (or games in general?). it's nintendo's way of making their game accessible to newcomers but it's not really a difficulty level the game is designed around, if that makes sense.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
Considering you have a Hallow Knight avatar, I bet you're up to the challenge!

But, if not, just give the regular characters a shot, and decide from there. I don't think it's terribly difficult, as there's plenty of checkpoints. It is a hard game, but nothing that makes you rage or anything.

Funky was a really nice addition, as he does let you get around trickier bits, all without feeling like you're circumventing the game's challenge. You still need to be able to navigate the stages, it's hardly a cakewalk with Funky.

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
Only use Funky Mode if you are new to platformers or video games in general. Otherwise you should be fine. The game gets very challenging if you do 100 percent, otherwise it's fine. More challenging then normal level in 2D Marios, but not that hard. I also think Returns was tougher in the later levels. There are also baloons to buy ingame which you can use to make the game easier if you struggle, stuff like you have the second kong available or you have an extra life when you fall down which is usually an instant death. I recommend rather use those than funky mode who totally breaks the game.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I def recommend the original mode. It honestly feels like a reasonable challenge to me, it isn't ridiculously difficult.

OP
OP
HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff, appreciate the responses. Think I'm going to give the original mode a try and stick with that so long as it doesn't consume my soul.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
No. Funky Mode is like beyond a normal easy mode. Its basically "introduction to platformer mechanics for novice gamers 101"

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a hard game but it's not as hard as Hollow Knight or anything. You're plenty fine.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do as you feel man, it's your game. Play it as your schedule allows and your enjoyment demands.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Yes, play with Funky. It's incredibly fun. And when you're done, play again with DK and it'll feel like a new experience.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, if you're experienced with platformers it's not too hard. It's tough of course but nothing on stuff like DKC 2. And it feels fairer than DKCR.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, most speedrunners use Funky just because of how broken he can be.
Then again, it takes a high degree of skill and intimate knowledge of both game mechanics and course design to play at those levels.
Best bet it start off in Funky mode and use the regular Kong crew as originally intended, switching to Funky if you hit a wall or something.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Funky is overkill, even if you do end up having difficulties in the base game there's still a generous assortment of shop items to help bail you out.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten the game 100% both ways and I actually recommend Funky Mode. It's super fun.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say your first time through just play it normally, but Funky is a fun way to replay the game. Can't go wrong either way though!

Deleted member 59562

Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
Don't listen to them.
Funky Mode is significantly easier if you play as funky
but you'll still die a bunch
Funky Mode + play as Donkey Kong
that's a much more reasonable 'easy mode' which is still considerably harder than most games
don't let anyone tell you 3 hearts is too many, normal mode gives you two
The challenge will remain there for you
I died plenty on Funky mode because the platforming challenges are very real
Nothing changes about gameplay besides number of hearts
If you prefer to play on DK mode just load up on balloons and crates and shit in the store

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played it for the first time in Funky Mode as Donkey. Felt fine to me difficulty wise, I'd say I'm pretty middle of the road skill wise with these games. Playing as Funky Kong himself makes it laughably easy however.