• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
This afternoon, I was sitting down outside when a stray cat comes out from under my chair. It was acting a little weird tugging at my shoelaces, rubbing itself on the chair, I stupidly tried to pet it when it suddenly scratched at my hand.

It wasn't a deep scratch, but it did bleed a little and the cat ran off afterwards.

Now, I went to the hospital and they said they don't give rabies vaccination for such simple scratches,and told me to just get a Tetanus vaccination.

Now I'm just worried because the internet says a scratch can cause rabies. Am I just overthinking it?

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I mean if you search l ong enough on the internet it'll probably tell you you have cancer because of the scratch.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I feel tainted just reading this thread. Anyone know how I can get rid of second-hand rabies?

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
"It was acting a little weird tugging at my shoelaces, rubbing itself on the chair"

This is 'standard cat', surely?

I'm sure you'll be fine

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Let me get this straight. You didn't trust the medical professionals who saw you in person, so you're now asking advice from anonymous strangers on an online video game forum, to who you've provided a written account. Is that right

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
bff.jpg

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Local infection is more of a worry than rabies or tetanus. Almost no one gets rabies from cats. Rats, bats, and raccoons are the main carriers in and around developed areas. That said, local infection can still be horrible if the infection gets in your joints and tendons, can even lead to needing surgical intervention.

But if the hospital let you go, you're fine. Like, really. You're fine.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the hospital said you're alright then it should be fine, right? It doesn't sound like it acted strangely at all from your description, plus rabies doesn't spread as easily via scratches I think (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You went to a hospital, you're good. Whenever I get scratched by my cat, I go and immediately clean it out as thoroughly as I can. You went above and beyond that. To the highest degree. You're gonna be ok.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You'll be fine. See my shadow? I'm 100% a real doctor as you can see. OP, you can trust me.

Seriously though, a cat scratch will be fine in most cases. Most you'd usually have to worry about is an infection. Since you went to the doctor you're 99.99% fine.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
If the hospital said you're good, then it's probably pretty safe to say you're good.

My wife had a tangle with a stray cat some years ago. She did get the rabies shots, but she was also bitten a couple of times; big difference.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
At worst, you'll get a fungus infection, which is bothersome (especially if you have pets) but nothing serious. Don't worry, just go back to the doctor in a few days if the wound starts to itch.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
You shouldn't be too worried, bites with saliva are more likely to cause rabies.

Also Poetic Injustice I can't recommend the Ada app enough, it's far better than just googling things if you're the kind of person who google's symptoms!

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
ITT: Cats trying to fool the human.

OP, you're gonna need to amputate it to stop yourself from becoming one of them. Quick, before the infection spreads!

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Lol, this is peak Era. Going to a hospital because of a cat scratch and then questioning the advice of professionals.

This is amazing.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if you are legit worried, which honestly is a really scary thing and I don't blame you, you should push the issue at the hospital to request for it.

That aside, I had to get rabies shots for a scratch to the face when I was about 5 or so. We couldn't find the cat and as a precaution, they gave me the full course of shots. I've mostly blocked out the actual shots from memory, but they were still giving it in the stomach at that point, which apparently from what I was told, was pretty damn painful. Nowadays, when I had to get additional booster shots (that's a story in itself I don't feel like getting into it), they just gave it in the shoulders.

As users said, it's largely the saliva that you have to be worried about rather than the scratches. That aside, if you don't feel comfortable with not getting the shots, you can absolutely request it. It's odd that the hospital is telling you otherwise, given mine did this for me as a precaution for a later incident (with two booster shots, since I'd already had gone through the process years earlier).

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
I'm sure you're fine.

I understand your paranoia though when it comes to hospital diagnosis. I once had meningitis from Lyme Disease and the first hospital I went to told me that I had a stomach bug... 🤷‍♂️

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A rabid cat wouldn't have played with your shoelace and rubbed on your chair, thats 100% normal cat behavior.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
A rabid cat would most likely do more to you.

Basic alcohol cream will do on the wound.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, you reminded me of my ex who thought she got brain parasite from petting stray cat (she had just a flu).

Hayvic

Oct 27, 2017
Go to youtube and search for "rabies patient".

Edit: You can in fact get rabies from scratches but the odds are extremely small even if the animal is infected. The severity of the wound does not matter in this case. It is enough that the skin has been breached. Assuming you're in the US you have nothing to worry about. Now if you're in India for example there is ample reason to panic.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got scratched by a stray that was missing an eye last year and didn't bother getting it checked out because it's very rare to get any illness, let alone rabies, from a simple scratch.

Having said that, maybe I'm in a rabies induced coma right now and have just imagined that a year went by.