• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to get your opinions here.

It's a grocery store(I know, lol) that I've worked at for almost 10 years. I'm currently the assistant manager in a department(again, lol) making a little over $14 an hour. I can do everything the manager can, all the ordering, scheduling, etc. and for a few months last year I ran the department when the boss was on extended leave.

There's no where else for me to climb in the department except to be the manager, and the current one isn't going anywhere any time soon. I expressed before that I was unhappy with the amount of money I make for the amount of work I do. All the store manager would offer me was a sort of "key carrier in training" job where I would be working overnight a couple of nights a week, while still working in the department doing my normal gig... for an extra 25 cents an hour...

Frankly I found this disrespectful. All the work hours and sweat I've put into this place for 10 years and that's the best you can do? I've been stewing over it for a few weeks now and decided I'm going to go to HR tomorrow, tell them all these things with more detail, and let them know I either need a good pay increase working in the department or consider this my 2 weeks notice.

I've already talked to my department boss about this and the boss is hell bent on not getting involved or having my back. So I figure I'll have to do things myself even though I'm sure it will either a) lead to a big meeting involving me, HR, the store manager and my boss, or b) HR will tell me there's nothing they can do and they're sorry to lose me in 2 weeks, or c) fire me on the spot.

What do you guys think? What would you do?

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
It's unlikely HR sign off on salary budgets.

Find the person who does & talk to them.

Or find another job since you're seemingly not going anywhere with this one and clearly want to advance.

Oct 27, 2017
HR makes compensation decisions where you work? Weird, but if so that's where you need to go. If you have other opportunities, that's always good leverage

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I don't know what the job situation is like in your area... but you can probably do better. If you stay at a job that long you aren't likely to get a nice pay bump.

Sure, ask. And best of luck. Try to leverage your way into more pay, but I wouldn't have a lot of hope. If they really value you, maybe $0.50 more. $1 if you are indispensable.

General rule that holds true just about always is if you want more money, get a new job. Jumping jobs is how things work these days. Loyalty doesn't get you anywhere.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You say there is no where to go, but could you put in to be a manager at a different store (if there are others)?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Look for a new job. If you're going to demand more pay, at least have something to fall back on if it doesn't work out. I would also recommend not demanding a raise but phrase it as such:

"While I appreciate what you're giving me now, it's not sustainable for my family and I'll need to look elsewhere if I stay at $14 an hour. I'd like to continue to grow with your company and was hoping we could come to an agreement on a raise".

or something like that.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
You should start looking for something else, even if they give you a salary increase. Because, think about it, even in the best case scenario, which is that they give you a pay increase, eventually you'll be in the same situation where salary isn't enough, and there are no more promotion possibilities.

Ten years at a job with promotions isn't too bad, with that resume you can do better. But at your current job, regardless of pay, you are stuck in that position.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, just quit. I made two bucks less as an overnight stocker at Target. I saw folks their busting their asses and it wasn't worth it in the end. Sounds like you're at a dead end job that's just trying to make you feel important. Go somewhere else and be a grunt while basically making the same. Hell, even if you get a dollar less it'll be worth it just so you have less things to deal with.

ChuckStank

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I wish I could give you an answer but nothing made me more happy than leaving retail. I worked at Meijer for 7 years and then left for 7up for 3 years. I finally found an awesome job last year. Great pay and great benefits. This is my first job since I started working 19 years ago where I have weekends and holidays off. My quality of life has gone way up, I've never been happier.

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's a grocery store(I know, lol) that I've worked at for almost 10 years. I'm currently the assistant manager in a department(again, lol) making a little over $14 an hour. I can do everything the manager can, all the ordering, scheduling, etc. and for a few months last year I ran the department when the boss was on extended leave.

There's no where else for me to climb in the department except to be the manager, and the current one isn't going anywhere any time soon. I expressed before that I was unhappy with the amount of money I make for the amount of work I do. All the store manager would offer me was a sort of "key carrier in training" job where I would be working overnight a couple of nights a week, while still working in the department doing my normal gig... for an extra 25 cents an hour...

Frankly I found this disrespectful. All the work hours and sweat I've put into this place for 10 years and that's the best you can do? I've been stewing over it for a few weeks now and decided I'm going to go to HR tomorrow, tell them all these things with more detail, and let them know I either need a good pay increase working in the department or consider this my 2 weeks notice.

I've already talked to my department boss about this and the boss is hell bent on not getting involved or having my back. So I figure I'll have to do things myself even though I'm sure it will either a) lead to a big meeting involving me, HR, the store manager and my boss, or b) HR will tell me there's nothing they can do and they're sorry to lose me in 2 weeks, or c) fire me on the spot.

This isn't the movies. Never demand more money and certainly not to hr

Oct 30, 2017
Fastest way to get a promotion is get a new job. Going to HR in this case won't do anything as HR doesn't manage pay and won't go to bat for you to get a promotion. This would have to be your boss, who you said is vocal about being a chickenshit, and/or doesn't value you enough to go to bat for you. I want to be rough about something, so it brings things into focus for you...

Your boss doesn't value you enough to keep you around. If your boss did, they would be shitting their pants at the thought of you leaving and going to bat. The fact that they outright told you they would not go to bat and told you to go on your own is a major, major red flag and right there.. .BOOM, there it is. You know how much your boss doesn't value you.

Do you want to keep working there, even if they give you a raise after finding that out? 10 years of your life, and no value or respect. Let that sink in.

So I'll go back to my original point. Fastest way to get a promotion is get a new job. Take your skills you've learned over the last decade to another store and get both more money, and a fresh start on perception instead of people's impressions of you over a 10 year period.

Oct 30, 2017
Why have you been working at (the same) grocery store for 14$ an hour for ten years?

Just get a reference, slap your experience onto a resume, and move on to a different job.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I was in a very similar situation at a job I was at for only 2 years except the manager left and I was doing all their work for no promotion or pay bump. I can't imagine being there for 10 years at $14 an hour. I left for a simple stocking job at another store and started at $2 more than I was making before lol.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seconding the "10 years, 14 Dollars" remarks- you have needed to move on for a while.

poseph

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this is an HR issue although I have no idea how your store works (obviously). Can you find a job as a manager at a different department or store? Something to keep in mind is that although most places aren't interested in paying people what they deserve/earned, a company isn't going to pay the salary/wage of two managers for one store if they can help it. I don't think you should take things too personally unless you suspect there's outright favoritism taking place. There is probably some arbitrary cap on what they're willing to pay an assistant manager; I would find out what that cap is and decide if you're OK with the amount. If not, start to work on improving your resume. 10 years is a lot of experience. An employer that is looking to hire a manager would probably want to hire someone like you. Good luck!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
10 years? And you're getting $14 an hour? It's time to leave.

With your experience there's no way you won't see a substantial pay jump in your next position.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
10y of experience as an Assistant Manager, and nowhere to move?
I'd say it's time to start looking into new prospects TBH.

Don't resign before getting a new gig.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a dead end job that does not value its workers. It's time to move on, OP. You don't have to be loyal to them.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
There's no easy way to say this but... what the hell at 10 years of experience and only $14/hour? I don't want to be presumptuous but dude, are you physically and mentally healthy? To be complacent for this long is kind of a red flag for me unless there are extraneous circumstances.

Advice for anyone out there: 10 years experience in 1 job does not necessarily look good on a resume. It's not like anyone in an assistant manager position is going to be better in year 10 than they would be in, say, year 5 or even year 3. That's enough time to encounter most of the possible unique situations and grow from them. Loyalty is not a virtue in today's economy. I do interviews for my company and one of the highest weighted factors is proven responsibility growth.

So no, do not go to HR and ask for more money. You need to look for other jobs that are a step up.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I work in HR and no that wouldn't do you any good. Pay and budgets are handled my managers or higher up the managerial chain and finance. HR has no say in pay increases

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Get a new job, after 10 years at the same company you're earning $14 an hour a chat with HR isn't going to change that. They might throw you a couple of extra bucks but how long until you get another pay bump?

You need to update your CV and get it out there, start applying for roles outside of retail to. How can those managerial, scheduling and stock control skills help you in other positions? What other skills do you have?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
As an HR manager, let me tell you that marching into my office with salary ultimatums is a spectacularly bad idea.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you'd be able to apply for a manager position at any kind of store/retailer. Just don't burn any bridges and don't quit before you have the new job.

You're obviously at the end of the line at the current store, with your boss not looking to vacate his position any time soon.

As an HR manager, let me tell you that marching into my office with salary ultimatums is a spectacularly bad idea.

Yeah, absolutely. Don't even bother trying to negotiate a raise when you get the new job lined up, just thank them for everything and leave.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Don't do it. Get a better offer first somewhere else then talk to your current employer.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Seems like the only significant pay increases I ever got were either changing positions or changing the stores I worked at. You can probably get more somewhere else if you've built up the experience. You also have to consider if what you're bringing to table is in demand, you might be able to get a bit more than what you're pulling in right now.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you right now I'm wishing I could get extra money at my current job.

I've only been there since August, but I got promoted from AR to doing Payroll which had a bump in pay, that's fine.

However at the moment I'm still doing my AR job along with my Payroll job, as I train someone to do my AR job, but can't really because between both jobs there is next to no free time to sit down and show him how to do the AR thing.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Hope 10 years means you started working in your teens and are now in your mid 20s. Can't imagine being OK with making $14 past late 20s for that about of time. I have sympathy for you OP but agree with the rest of the posters that you should've gotten a new job as soon as you had a year or two of assistant managing experience, if not before.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Man I was making 14 an hour starting at Trader Joe's while I went to college. Whole Foods now pays 15 an hour for entry level jobs. Get a new job my dude, 14 an hour after 10 years is ridiculous.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Giving an ultimatum with no other job prospects is stupid. Either find a better job or just ask the right people or do both.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Look for a new job and use that as leverage when asking for a raise. If they say no, fuck them and go with the new job. 10 years and making 14 an hour is a joke. You can do much better than that.

Oct 27, 2017
You know, depending on the area, 14 isn't too bad. In my area that's pretty well above average! Some companies, like mine, there's not really any way to "Get a raise", outside of getting promoted or yearly increase, or they do a general market adjustment.

My Director has tried to get several employees off-cycle raises with no luck. Maybe he just doesn't know the right person to talk to, I suppose. If what he's telling me is the truth, maybe OP's company is similar.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
like everyone else has alluded to. dont talk to HR talk to your manager or director. HR won't fix your compensation.

or find a new job.