• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
I've been at whole foods for about 8 months now and couldn't be happier.

OP, you should see if you have any Whole Foods in your area and apply. Ever since the increase to $15/hour they've been more stringent on who they hire, someone with your experience would definitely have an advantage in the hiring process.

You should definitely get out of that job ASAP, though. They clearly don't value you and you definitely would benefit from a fresh start with another company.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Demanding a raise at a retail job in general seems like a pretty bad idea because everyone in the store is very easily replaceable. Including the store manager.

$14 an hour after 10 years also doesn't surprise me, for retail. If you aren't happy with that you are basically going to have to find something else.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe look at transitioning into a corporate gig for the chain?

I guarantee you that HR is making many times what you do and doing far, far less work.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you've reached the top realistic position for the one you've been hired for.

You're going to find it hard to move up from there. This is when you sustain the job you have and use it to find a better one.

It will be a lot harder to find a better job if you lose your current job out of pride. It's annoying, but you find yourself in a very normal predicament. Keep doing what you're doing until you find yourself something better,

And hey, maybe you'll get offered a better job, your current employer may offer you something better.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Look for a head management job at either another location (if it's a chain), or a different grocery chain altogether. It seems like you're good at it and know the business well.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Echoing the "if you want a raise, get a new job" sentiment.

But you could be worse off. I know a dude who is on his 9th year at McDonalds and hasn't moved up the chain at all. He's still just working the register. I don't think he has an ambitious bone in his body.

Oct 30, 2017
Boston
Aren't key carrier positions manager trainee positions? If a manager position opened up in another location would you be willing relocate?

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just wanted to get your opinions here.

It's a grocery store(I know, lol) that I've worked at for almost 10 years. I'm currently the assistant manager in a department(again, lol) making a little over $14 an hour. I can do everything the manager can, all the ordering, scheduling, etc. and for a few months last year I ran the department when the boss was on extended leave.

There's no where else for me to climb in the department except to be the manager, and the current one isn't going anywhere any time soon. I expressed before that I was unhappy with the amount of money I make for the amount of work I do. All the store manager would offer me was a sort of "key carrier in training" job where I would be working overnight a couple of nights a week, while still working in the department doing my normal gig... for an extra 25 cents an hour...

Frankly I found this disrespectful. All the work hours and sweat I've put into this place for 10 years and that's the best you can do? I've been stewing over it for a few weeks now and decided I'm going to go to HR tomorrow, tell them all these things with more detail, and let them know I either need a good pay increase working in the department or consider this my 2 weeks notice.

I've already talked to my department boss about this and the boss is hell bent on not getting involved or having my back. So I figure I'll have to do things myself even though I'm sure it will either a) lead to a big meeting involving me, HR, the store manager and my boss, or b) HR will tell me there's nothing they can do and they're sorry to lose me in 2 weeks, or c) fire me on the spot.

What do you guys think? What would you do?

This is pretty simple.

How much are you looking for, and can you get that from this company?

Even if you plan to stay at your current job, I suggest that you look around at other companies in your area. It's very easy to become stagnant and complacent when you have been at a place for a long time.

I wouldn't rock the hr boat, but in my off time, I would searching for a new job.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you need to consider an alternative career. It's difficult to get a raise even in tech, where companies are making money hand-over-fist and good developers are a dime a dozen. It's liking trying to draw wine out of a rock. I can't even imagine how the conversation would go in the (non-corporate) retail industry with or without leverage. Because if you come to them with a job offer, they'll just can you. If you arbitrarily ask for a wage increase, they'll just can you for the next person who'll do the job at a cheaper price.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Working for a payroll company and a lot of clients being HR / Payroll contacts, it's overwhelmingly likely that HR only manages your pay rate, but doesn't actually set it - that's up to your supervisor and your specific department in the organization. Unless your department is HR, of course.

OP
OP
Turbowaffles

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you guys for your thoughts. To add a bit of context: I've only been assistant manager for about 2 years. Started as a wrapper, moved up to baker and than got the gig as the assistant.

I didn't and am not going to HR or anyone demanding more money. I have some other job interviews lined up that pay more and I will wait to see how they pan out.

I love the work and most of the people except for my manager, and she's not bad she's a hard worker but I see now she only cares about herself like all managers. I will just be as pleasant as possible around her until I find a new job.

It just hurts because I've literally broken my back for this company. Got some fragmented discs and all kinds of back issues from working here. Never complained only went out for a month one time.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that a 10 year employee, a manager no less, is structured to only make $14/hr is ridiculous. It basically says they don't want long term employees, unless they're suckers. I made almost that much just as a regular bakery clerk over 10 years ago. Fucking 7/11 down the road from me is hiring at $13/hr. If there is a Costco in town I suggest you drop in an application there, with your experience you should be a shoe in. Play your cards right there, you could easily be making $50-65k in the next few years if you can get promoted to a supervisor or manager, along with a 401k and all that good stuff.

My final year at Costco I made $23/hr pushing carts.

Seriously fucking quit. You could easily be making way more money. There are a ton of better jobs out there not in retail, just step outside your box. UPS and FedEx drivers make bank, cable installers, road construction, all kinds of shit will pay better than $14/hr.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you guys for your thoughts. To add a bit of context: I've only been assistant manager for about 2 years. Started as a wrapper, moved up to baker and than got the gig as the assistant.

I didn't and am not going to HR or anyone demanding more money. I have some other job interviews lined up that pay more and I will wait to see how they pan out.

I love the work and most of the people except for my manager, and she's not bad she's a hard worker but I see now she only cares about herself like all managers. I will just be as pleasant as possible around her until I find a new job.

It just hurts because I've literally broken my back for this company. Got some fragmented discs and all kinds of back issues
from working here. Never complained only went out for a month one time.

With your skill-set and excellent work history you should be able to craft quite an appealing CV, one that won't in any way be restricted to the precise roles you're used to.

You could quite easily frame some of this to position yourself for other positions outside of retail. Might be worth considering what you really want to do instead of just settling for the same-old, unless you're happy doing what you're doing of course.

Just make sure you don't sell yourself short wherever you go next. Be confident, no need to make outright demands but set yourself a standard based on your experience and don't dip below it (unless you're forced to take a job in the mean-time, of course, better to work for less than starve).

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing HR does when it comes to raises is update the HRIS which alerts payroll to update your compensation. As an HR professional, if you came to my office asking for a raise I would just direct you back to your manager.

Also, get a new job. $14 an hour is about $30k a year. You can do much better than that

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP all I learned about your situation is that you should have left ages ago. I can understand being comfortable in a role, but 10 years at $14 is a bit on the extreme side as far as them not raising your wage. No job is your friend, no job will give you the possible maximum benefit they can without you fighting for it or without them moving you up in the company.

You need to do this yourself. Get a new job offer and with your experience you should be able to get a higher wage somewhere. And truly if you want to stick around here you could always bring the job offer to your boss and ask him if the company/HR can match that offer for you to stay.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will hurt but: They don't give a shit about you. They'd rather that you leave instead of letting you earn more.

That's what I learned in 8 years retail, can't wait to be out of here.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Does HR decide people's wages in US or something? I have never heard of going to HR to ask for a raise. It's always your supervisor who controls that, at least where I have worked at. If that doesn't work, you can try your supervisor's supervisor (because sometimes it's a budget issue) but that's about it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
you obviously have value as a grocer, kind of a no brainer to shop yourself around to whole foods or trader joes. or anywhere else really

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Find a new job for more money. Guarantee if your workplace hired a brand new assistant manager, they would make the same pay as you despite your loyality to the storr

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. HR is there to protect bthe company, not you.
2. 10 years for $14hr... Get new job OP. You're being taken advantage of.

Deleted member 47559

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Even if you get a pay rise, find a new job. You've been there 10 years, and it doesn't sound like you've got any room to go further.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
That is not HR's field.

^^ this.

it's not HR's job to assess your monetary value to your company, much like it's not HR's job to assess your performance for the position you are employed for.

Your best option for a pay rise, if your company is unwilling, as is the norm in working life, is to look for employment elsewhere. Once you get a job offer, tell your boss, and let him match the offer. If he does, win. If he doesn't, take up the new job.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
^^ this.

it's not HR's job to assess your monetary value to your company, much like it's not HR's job to assess your performance for the position you are employed for.

Your best option for a pay rise, if your company is unwilling, as is the norm in working life, is to look for employment elsewhere. Once you get a job offer, tell your boss, and let him match the offer. If he does, win. If he doesn't, take up the new job.

This is the best advice. Never quit a job before you have another one.

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately skill wise your job isn't too difficult to replace and you are not negotiating from a place of power or demand. It's not too hard to replace you and the store will find someone who can perform your job easily. If the company is nice they may give you a raise due to your commitment to the company. It's a shame though business don't operate by good faith and just by whatever the market is doing so don't be surprised if they tell you to kick rocks.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The fact that a 10 year employee, a manager no less, is structured to only make $14/hr is ridiculous. It basically says they don't want long term employees, unless they're suckers. I made almost that much just as a regular bakery clerk over 10 years ago. Fucking 7/11 down the road from me is hiring at $13/hr. If there is a Costco in town I suggest you drop in an application there, with your experience you should be a shoe in. Play your cards right there, you could easily be making $50-65k in the next few years if you can get promoted to a supervisor or manager, along with a 401k and all that good stuff.

My final year at Costco I made $23/hr pushing carts.

Seriously fucking quit. You could easily be making way more money. There are a ton of better jobs out there not in retail, just step outside your box. UPS and FedEx drivers make bank, cable installers, road construction, all kinds of shit will pay better than $14/hr.
Really pay that much?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

It just hurts because I've literally broken my back for this company. Got some fragmented discs and all kinds of back issues from working here. Never complained only went out for a month one time.

Sorry to hear about the injuries.

It sounds like you're following the right approach. Best of luck with the job hunt!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Minimum pay for a Target team leader is $16 (or higher, depending on the state), and it'll be getting a couple buck higher over the next year or two. You're already doing more than the average team leader. I'd say give them a shot. You could even shoot for a senior team lead (whole pay grade higher) or in ETL position (salaried position) with that much experience, but they do typically want a degree for those positions and obviously there's less openings as you get higher (they tend towards promoting within). Though hell, even base team member pay will be $15 by 2020.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd keep that job while looking for a new one. Even if you got a raise you would be unlikely to get another again

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to get your opinions here.

It's a grocery store(I know, lol) that I've worked at for almost 10 years. I'm currently the assistant manager in a department(again, lol) making a little over $14 an hour. I can do everything the manager can, all the ordering, scheduling, etc. and for a few months last year I ran the department when the boss was on extended leave.

There's no where else for me to climb in the department except to be the manager, and the current one isn't going anywhere any time soon. I expressed before that I was unhappy with the amount of money I make for the amount of work I do. All the store manager would offer me was a sort of "key carrier in training" job where I would be working overnight a couple of nights a week, while still working in the department doing my normal gig... for an extra 25 cents an hour...

Frankly I found this disrespectful. All the work hours and sweat I've put into this place for 10 years and that's the best you can do? I've been stewing over it for a few weeks now and decided I'm going to go to HR tomorrow, tell them all these things with more detail, and let them know I either need a good pay increase working in the department or consider this my 2 weeks notice.

I've already talked to my department boss about this and the boss is hell bent on not getting involved or having my back. So I figure I'll have to do things myself even though I'm sure it will either a) lead to a big meeting involving me, HR, the store manager and my boss, or b) HR will tell me there's nothing they can do and they're sorry to lose me in 2 weeks, or c) fire me on the spot.

What do you guys think? What would you do?
A couple things:
-What's an "assistant" department manager? What exactly is it that you do that bridges the gap between regular associate and actual department manager? Curious, cause I've never heard of such a position. Assistant store manager sure, but Assistant department manager? Eh.

-Unless HR knows you, there's very little case for them to bump up your pay without the input of the department or store manager. The only motivation they'd have to do so, is if you're way underpaid compared to others in the same position. They aren't going to do it to be nice.

-What's the going rate for someone in your position? They're going to compare you to other assistant department managers both in store and out. But again, it's going to be weird if your DM isn't going to provide any input.

-If I worked somewhere for 10 years and only made 14 an hour, I'd be long gone. What state is this?

Last edited: