• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if it's a boring question... I heard good things about TNO and it feels like I'm hearing even better things about TNC.

I guess my question is how much more would I enjoy the second game if I play the first, first? Should I get to know BJ and everything he went through in TNC?

As context I enjoyed the Halo games quite a bit more knowing the back story of John and how he was abducted and then trained into a fighting machine.

SebTheCat

Oct 27, 2017
I would say so yeah.

A lot of my enjoyment of Wolfenstein 2 so far has been based around seeing characters from TNO again.

Grey

Oct 27, 2017
You should definitely play The New Order. A few technical issues aside (those wonderful idTech teething issues) it's a far better game than TNC.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
You're obviously gonna miss out on a lot of the characters dynamics because it's a direct sequel with the same cast, you'll probably also have a bit more of an issue understanding certain parts of the story like the Da'at Yichud.

The real question is, why you would want to play TNC first when TNO is much, much cheaper everywhere and just as good.

shepcommandr

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You should probably play New Order regardless. It's a fantastic game. But, yeah, it could help a lot knowing the full story. You could easily skip Old Blood though, it's non-essential.

Oct 27, 2017
The New Colossus begins exactly where The New Order ends. There is a brief recap, but TNO is well worth a playthrough.

And if you have some time to spare, I would also play The Old Blood before TNO and TNC. Some people didn't like it, but I found it to be a really entertaining short ride. It's about 6 hours, tops. If you don't like the WWII setting stay away from it, though.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess so, but it's a bit overrated in my eyes. The Old Blood was a much better experience, although the second half leaves a lot to be desired...

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You can choose a certain story path from TNO regardless, but I feel like players would miss the weight of it if they didn't play it before this new one.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not only because their stories are connected, but play them because they are amazing.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Absolutely. The new Wolfenstein games are story heavy so you'll be missing out on a lot. I don't even know why you'd want to skip it. I just finished TNC and I think it's just as good as TNO.

reddonkeyham

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what platform you are on, but it's ÂŁ3.99 on PSN at the moment. At that price point it's certainly worth picking up. Brilliant game and as other has said it should give you some background to BJ.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Yes. Absolutely.

Firstly because the gameplay is similar enough that playing TNO is a good way of figuring out whether you enjoy it without spending $60 on the new game, and secondly because it's a single player story-driven FPS whose story you will enjoy (not to mention understand) much more if you've played the first.

Oct 27, 2017
Israel
The correct order is
  1. The Old Blood
  2. The New Order
  3. The New Colossus
TOB is the beginning of TNO, I highly recommend to play in this order!

P.S. Not sure why but, I'm feeling that TOB is remade for "Return to Castle Wolfenstein".

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Is Old Blood a must-play before TNC? I own it already but haven't gotten around it. Just ordered TNC as part of Target's B2G1 so wondering if I should just go for it or play Old Blood first.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Do not skip out the best game in the series.

Play The Old Blood too while you're at it.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put it on easy and have a blast.

Its a real fun game once you go below normal difficulty

Oct 27, 2017
TNC is technically standalone, but you're going to get a lot more out of it if you play TNO first. The Old Blood is also suggested, but less required. Plus they're fantastic games.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
TNC sums up all the events from the first game at the start. You'll be fine.

Now, I would argue that you should play TNO regardless, but you do not have to do it before playing TNC.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yes. Both because TNO is a great game and because the sequel literally picks up right where it left off.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That would be such a damn fine experience to go from 1 to 2. It would seem like one massively great game.

Shadow Yuk

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Absolutely yes, The New Order revealed to be a fantastic experience with solid fps mechanics.
If you want to enjoy The New Colossus buy it since TNC start exactly where the first one ended.
After you've played the first one (and eventually liked it), consider to buy Old Blood, since is a great add to the experience

KOT

Oct 27, 2017
Minsk
A 100% yes. That's one hell of a ride that's worth every penny.

You can grab em for great price, I see both on sales from time to time.

Oct 27, 2017
Erfurt
As most of the people here say: If you got the time for more than one straight-shooter, then you should play TNO too!
But I think TNC is great enough as a stand-alone part of the franchise.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say TNO is mandatory and TOB is optional. TNC has a "Last time on The New Order" at the beginning of it that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what TNO actually is, I don't know why they even bothered.

The New Order is a must-play.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought TNO was dreadful, but definitely worth picking up for cheaper so you can figure out whether TNC is worth the cash to you. It's not particularly long and will introduce the story / characters.