• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When to see web swinging ?

• Late next week (regular showing)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Tomorrow* (open showing) *assuming my 2 guest are free on short notice tomorrow

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I was going to wait for next week but then i discovered open caption showings for even tomorrow are very empty.

Will the open captions be too distracting or should I get in there and see spidey tomorrow?

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you need it, then no.

At the risk of sounding pretentious, film is a visual medium. You're not absorbing the whole picture when you're reading captions or subtitles if it wasn't intended by the director.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020

At the risk of sounding pretentions, film is a visual median. You're not absorbing the whole picture when you're reading captions or subtitles if it wasn't intended by the director.
Would it different than watching anime or foriegn films?

Also the open caption showing is like $8-$10 cheaper

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I just went out of seeing it, and honestly, I would go see it right now, and also later this week haha.

It's truly that good, certainly the best Spide-Man movie (on the same level as "into the spider-verse").

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I saw an open caption showing of West Side Story last weekend, and it was a pretty mixed experience. The captions would occasionally not work (It'd skip to a line that was a few seconds ahead, and then not display captions until the film caught up), and they weren't perfectly lined up with the frame of the picture.

That said, it was pretty empty in the theater (this may speak more to the relative popularity of West Side Story), and it was nice to have the option. Especially for a musical, where it can at times be difficult to hear precise lyrics.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

At the risk of sounding pretentions, film is a visual medium. You're not absorbing the whole picture when you're reading captions or subtitles if it wasn't intended by the director.
thehardtimes.net

We Asked These Film Buffs What It’s Like Being Insufferable

Movies! We all love them. Some people, too much. We searched far and wide for people who love movies more than anything else in the world to learn what it's like being unbearable to deal with.

open captions aren't that bad go for it. an empty theater is probably better than whatever extremely minor distraction the open captions pose.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ooooooof. What a bad take.

Not really? I get a lot of people are casual movie watchers, but when I watch something I like I want to be fully absorbed in the film.

Subtitles/captions mean you're not watching the full picture all the time. In a drama, that can mean you might miss a subtle expression on an actor's face because you were busy reading, even for a millisecond. You start getting complacent as the movie goes because your eyes go to the subtitles first and then the upper screen.

In a comedy, it's worse because sometimes the subs will spoil a joke before it's even delivered. '

The only exception of course is if subs were intended by the director for a specific scene, or if you're watching a foreign film.

Last edited:

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I wouldn't want to watch something with captions if it's already in my native language. Timing is important when it comes to acting, and a lot of tension gets lost when you read the line before the actor even says it.

But that's just me. I know that I personally would be unable to ignore the captions.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Not really? I get a lot of people are casual movie watchers, but when I watch something I like I want to be fully absorbed in the film.

Subtitles/captions mean you're not watching the full picture all the time. In a drama, that can mean you might miss a subtle expression on an actor's face because you were busy reading, even for a millisecond. You start getting complacent as the movie goes because your eyes go to the subtitles first and then the upper screen.

In a comedy, it's worse because sometimes the subs will spoil a joke before it's even delivered. '

The only exception of course is if subs were intended by the director for a specific scene, or if you're watching a foreign film.
The debate is not whether a caption free experience is better or not.

Its if it's so much worse that I should pay $8-10 more dollars (per person) And wait 7 extra days. Also more crowded during pandemic

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i love captions, watch nearly everything with them on. i'd prefer to see with captions than without, less crowded and cheaper are just icing.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
i love subtitles..........have them on everything i watch because sometimes the audio isn't mixed right and you miss subtle things in the dialogue that you normally wouldn't have noticed.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020

At the risk of sounding pretentious, film is a visual medium. You're not absorbing the whole picture when you're reading captions or subtitles if it wasn't intended by the director.

This one speaks the truth. Though film is an audio-visual medium, but the overall point still stands.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Your eyes will go down to the captions instinctively. When I have to watch something with Spanish subs, I tend to read them even though I understand everything they're saying in English.

You'll still enjoy it, though, and catching yourself reading the captions is probably better than waiting and reading spoilers.

And, honestly, you'll probably end up watching the movie again, so you can appreciate the cinematography then. Just enjoy the ride for now.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
I wasn't able to get IMAX tickets, but I found tickets for a regular showing with Spanish subtitles. Now instead of going alone, I'm taking my dad(subs will help him out) and nephew. You can always watch it two times.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I wish I could find a screening with open captions nearby. I suspect I'll need it when dopes are cheering and laughing every five seconds and I can't hear a damn word.

Awful post.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The debate is not whether a caption free experience is better or not.

Its if it's so much worse that I should pay $8-10 more dollars (per person) And wait 7 extra days. Also more crowded during pandemic
To save that scratch and see it sooner with almost nobody there, I'd do the open captions. I love subtitles anyway, so I'd be incentivized a lot to go to that showing.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Subtitles are the superior way to watch movies though.

You get all the visuals and action and you have an aid for when you can't make something out thanks to the sound mix or whatever. Especially now that many big movies have terrible sound mixing, subtitles are becoming a must.

najaschade

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 13, 2021

Come on. this is a dumb fucking comment. its fucking spiderman who gives a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

also thats a dumb idea anyway. like no actual film critic thinks that watching films with subtitles is a worse way to watch them. every single famous film critic, director, afficionado, whatever watches films with subtitles. like what

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on. this is a dumb fucking comment. its fucking spiderman who gives a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

also thats a dumb idea anyway. like no actual film critic thinks that watching films with subtitles is a worse way to watch them. every single famous film critic, director, afficionado, whatever watches films with subtitles. like what

Really? First time I'm hearing this. Most of them would say what I'm saying.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah guys, you can't possibly appreciate a piece of art if you use subtitles to watch it. It's why Squid Game was such a huge bomb!