• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does hanging out with people who are toxic also make you toxic? If you begin acting toxic as well, is it subconsciously or is it because you want to be part of the wolf pack (something related to Sociology)?

I ask because lately I've been acting very toxic myself, being very angry and being an asshole to others. This is not my personality at all, and I want to know if people, even in media like Twitch, can influence the way you act.

I won't name them, but I watch two streamers every day who are just awful to other people in games and in real life. They get easily angry and begin being toxic. It never bothered me that much before but I've been noticing that I've been acting the same way.

It could be other factors, but I don't see any.

What do you think ERA?

nawtt

Nov 7, 2017
Yes, if it's gotten to the point where you notice your own behaviour and mindset changing then you should stop ASAP.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yes

You attract the kind of people you tolerate. Your life will improve when you reject those kinds of people from your life, I promise <3

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Uh.... yes? I had to cancel a bunch of people on my follow list, and find myself going on twitch for anything other than marathons less and less, way too much toxic trash

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
More than anything you need to learn to dissociate your behaviour from what's happening around you. If it's affecting you then cutting ties is also a necessary step

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should I stop feeding myself rat poison? I realize it's poison and poison is bad for you. Also my stools have been pitch black and I've been throwing up every morning.
It could be other things but idk.
What say you?

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YUOhixQ.gif

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Should you stop mentally punching yourself right in the brain for no reason whatsoever?

Yeah maybe.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you are able to recognize the problem in yourself and its source, a lot of people aren't able to and it fucking sucks to see it, especially when you see it happen slowly to someone you know and that person ignores your warnings.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say no - but then it all depends on what exactly you mean by toxic. I enjoy viewing sodapoppin' from time to time, but he says some incredibly stupid shit that I disagree with - still find him entertaining.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Yes. Cut out that toxicity. We need to get that behavior out of the gaming community but it sure will never happen if we keep tuning into to their streams and funding those type of people. It's why I still won't usually call myself a gamer because the image that goes with that is still pretty bad. I just say that I play games sometimes.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised it's even a question, but it's a good thing you've noticed what they're doing is wrong. The best way for us to tackle toxic people is to remove their audience and platform.

Toxicity is pretty viral, and not in the fun internet sense.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you fam, if you need other people to help you come to the conclusion to this question, idk what to tell ya.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Does hanging out with people who are toxic also make you toxic? If you begin acting toxic as well, is it subconsciously or is it because you want to be part of the wolf pack (something related to Sociology)?

I ask because lately I've been acting very toxic myself, being very angry and being an asshole to others. This is not my personality at all, and I want to know if people, even in media like Twitch, can influence the way you act.

I won't name them, but I watch two streamers every day who are just awful to other people in games and in real life. They get easily angry and begin being toxic. It never bothered me that much before but I've been noticing that I've been acting the same way.

It could be other factors, but I don't see any.

What do you think ERA?

Why do you find these people entertaining? That is the question you need to ask yourself.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
can't you apply the same logic to resetera, and it's cynicism and negativity?

Specific Resetera posters, sure, I've made a habit of ignoring threads and people I know just exist to rile people up. I think it's silly to throw everyone on a site under the same umbrella; if the OP asked if they should stop watching Twitch period I'd say that's an over-reaction because there are plenty of decent people on there.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The answer to the question seems so obvious that it almost seems like OP made this thread just to get a pat on the back.
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt tho, that you posted because you genuinely wanted advice.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
depends on the streamer, xqcs stream is fucking dope

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Unsubscribe from them and make the world a better place. Good on you op for realizing it.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
can't you apply the same logic to resetera, and it's cynicism and negativity?
If anyone finds themselves acting far more negatively or cynically than they are comfortable with as a result of visiting this site, then I think yeah, they should stop visiting it.

The difference is that cynicism and negativity are not necessarily destructive emotions. There are good reasons to be cynical about many of of the people and corporations that enjoy large influence, and there are circumstances where negativity is a natural or warranted reaction.

(The other difference is that a Twitch stream is primarily a one-to-many broadcast system whereas Resetera is primarily a many-to-many discussion system - it is bordering on impossible to limit your consumption of Resetera to a single person's viewpoint).

OP
OP

Deleted member 13015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The answer to the question seems so obvious that it almost seems like OP made this thread just to get a pat on the back.
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt tho, that you posted because you genuinely wanted advice.

I genuinely wanted advice, or a quick answer to why the hell I've been feeling like shit every time I watch these people every day. I'm not that smart, sorry if I came out as gullible.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
If it's behavior that is negatively affecting your everyday life, (sleeping, working, diet, friends etc...) than you should do anything to avoid it. I think it's possible to enjoy toxic behaviors if you have a firm understanding of why you like something and that it doesn't do you or anyone else harm (there are a lot of caveats here in the grey zone.)

However, it's hard to reach these conclusions without a lot of honest introspection, and a real education so...

Yes, I think if it's negative behavior and it disturbs you even if you are away from it, then you should just avoid it.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yep. I'd go so far as to say that spending more than an hour or so a day online infects one to the toxicity that overflows from the internet, from youtube to twitch, facebook to gaming forums. Especially the online gaming community.

Just like the sun's rays, limit your exposure to things that can harm you one way or another.