• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend started her own phone plan yesterday and snagged an iPhone X on it. At&t has got a deal right now for buy 1 get 1 free if I decided to hop on a family plan with her. I've loved my Androids and wouldn't be considering this if it wasn't for this deal, but I'm not completely opposed to trying an iPhone.

The main thing is that right now I'm on Boost Mobile, and I pay a cool 40$ month. The issue with them though is that whenever I want to upgrade, I have to buy the phone straight up, which means I never get new phones. Right now I've got a Galaxy S7 edge that I just got back in like March, but the screen is cracked and it would be expensive as hell to replace, which is another reason I'm considering this seriously. But this would boost (lawl) up my bill by about 60$ month. But I would have a better phone, good insurance, and better service and data options...

I've been debating it all day, and I have to decide in like 1 hour or we can't do the BOGO. Help!

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a good deal to me. You can just get it unlocked and sell it down the road if you don't end up liking it

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
The deal seems to be quite decent. Question is how deep are you connected to the Android ecosystem app-wise? Do you have to buy lots of apps again or nothing important?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah no reason not to if its free. If you don't like it you could just unlock and sell it then buy a S9 or something

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
AT&T offers a return policy for equipment and services purchased directly from AT&T. This return policy may not reflect the policies of AT&T authorized retailers.
If the phone or device you purchased doesn't meet your expectations, return it by mail within 30 days from the date the equipment was shipped. Refunds are applied using the original payment method. Any rebate associated with returned equipment is voided.
Equipment received through an insurance claim can't be returned or exchanged. Equipment warranty rules may apply.
Typically, if you return or exchange a phone that you received through an upgrade within 30 days of the upgrade, you can receive an equipment discount for a replacement phone.
After you return your equipment to AT&T, allow a few days for a credit to post to your account and for your equipment discount to be restored. When you initiate an upgrade to replace the returned equipment, the equipment discount appears during online phone and device selection.
Exceptions
Some phones, devices, and accessories don't use the standard AT&T return policy. For example, some devices must be returned within 14 days from the date of purchase instead of 30 days. For specific exception details about the return policy for your phone, device, or accessory, visit AT&T Wireless Return Policy, and click the Returns by Device tab.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Do what you're comfortable with but I always like trying new phones. In the past few years I've used Windows phones, iPhones, and Android phones, and while they all have their own quirks I never considered any of them appreciably better than the others. Playing around with something new was always more exciting than any of the features I was gaining or losing by switching.

If you're budget conscious I don't know that an iPhone is going to enhance your life enough to warrant more than doubling your phone bill, but it is a nice phone.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend started her own phone plan yesterday and snagged an iPhone X on it. At&t has got a deal right now for buy 1 get 1 free if I decided to hop on a family plan with her. I've loved my Androids and wouldn't be considering this if it wasn't for this deal, but I'm not completely opposed to trying an iPhone.

The main thing is that right now I'm on Boost Mobile, and I pay a cool 40$ month. The issue with them though is that whenever I want to upgrade, I have to buy the phone straight up, which means I never get new phones. Right now I've got a Galaxy S7 edge that I just got back in like March, but the screen is cracked and it would be expensive as hell to replace, which is another reason I'm considering this seriously. But this would boost (lawl) up my bill by about 60$ month. But I would have a better phone, good insurance, and better service and data options...

I've been debating it all day, and I have to decide in like 1 hour or we can't do the BOGO. Help!

I think the iPhone X is a nice phone, but tbh it just depends on what you like about your phone. If you like the customization/etc. about Android you won't get that with the iPhone.

Is it impossible for her to get the X and you get a S9? Can you maybe ask the employees if this is possible?

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The deal seems to be quite decent. Question is how deep are you connected to the Android ecosystem app-wise? Do you have to buy lots of apps again or nothing important?

Nothing much that I can think of. Most of my purchase are mobile game in-app purchases tied to the game's progress, so that should all carry over.

Also for those saying to unlock it, they don't just hand me the phone for free. It's a situation where the phone's monthly payment (30 bucks) is covered every month with a credit for that amount. So yes in the end it is free, but it still has to be "paid off" through the 30 month plan with that credit. So I dunno if the unlocking/selling would really be an option.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's free, so yes. If it wasn't free, I'd say no unless it was dirt cheap, but it is free, so the answer is always yes.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing much that I can think of. Most of my purchase are mobile game in-app purchases tied to the game's progress, so that should all carry over.

Also for those saying to unlock it, they don't just hand me the phone for free. It's a situation where the phone's monthly payment (30 bucks) is covered every month with a credit for that amount. So yes in the end it is free, but it still has to be "paid off" through the 30 month plan with that credit. So I dunno if the unlocking/selling would really be an option.

Pretty cute people think they would literally hand you a free iPhone X.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm think of doing that same deal with my wife and I. We both need a phone and that deal seems really great.

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been messing around with hers and I definitely don't hate it. I prefer Android for sure, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. I think I would feel about the same as I did when I got a MacBook Pro a long time back. Really love it for like a year, but be ready to switch back to PC when I've started to hit it's limits.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's a dam good deal, but as an iPhone X owner and user I can honestly say it's been by far the most buggy iPhone I've had.

From screen been unresponsive so I have to hard reset, lock ups, FaceTime locking up my phone and to even the SOS triggering 3 times now during a screen freeze and calling the emergency line and me trying to explain it's my phone calling and I'm unable to hang up!

Aside from that it's good lol

Oct 27, 2017
I switched from a Galaxy S8 to an iPhone X last month.

I regret nothing. Absolutely love the X. I have only switched away from Apple twice in the last 10 years and hated it both times. Never again.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Just try to be careful with this one's screen because the Iphone is even more expensive to replace.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well it's a dam good deal, but as an iPhone X owner and user I can honestly say it's been by far the most buggy iPhone I've had.

From screen been unresponsive so I have to hard reset, lock ups, FaceTime locking up my phone and to even the SOS triggering 3 times now during a screen freeze and calling the emergency line and me trying to explain it's my phone calling and I'm unable to hang up!

Aside from that it's good lol
Doesn't sound normal. Did you try to restore your iPhone or anything to see if it's a software problem? I've heard when stuff like that happens it might be a hardware problem.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't sound normal. Did you try to restore your iPhone or anything to see if it's a software problem? I've heard when stuff like that happens it might be a hardware problem.
No, I know I should and that may solve all my problems but I would need to spend time doing a full transfer as a restore would just copy the bad crap across no doubt

Plus I'm not the only one I know who has the same issue

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No, I know I should and that may solve all my problems but I would need to spend time doing a full transfer as a restore would just copy the bad crap across no doubt

Ah, ok. Just making sure you're aware you can probably fix it!

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it depends on how much you really want to keep your Google Play stuff.

All these phones are functionally the same these days.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

Have you turned "automatically dial 911" in the SOS settings? I didn't know that shit was on by default until after I accidently dialed 911.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is the family plan is significantly more expensive than $40 per line, so consider that as well.

From a functionality perspective I switch between iOS and Android every year. Jod TMobile so I typically get galaxy in the spring and iphone in the fall. I run a lot of google stuff on the iPhone and there isn't really anything on the iPhone worthy of transferring over to the Android. Photos and music and contacts etc lots of easily transferrable solutions so it's not a problem at all to switch back and forth.

Also my TMobile plan is $40 for unlimited talk text and 6gb lte data, but that includes binge on for music and video streaming so I never hit the cap despite very heavy usage. I also get 20gb data carryover and hotspot no extra charge.

Iirc att hits you with a $20 a month bs data access charge per line. So your supposed $120 family plan plus phone installments plus that becomes like near $200 a month or more with taxes.

So you might be getting a better phone and service but that might cost you another $60+ per month.

Last edited:

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yes not only is att a better service than sprint/boost.

iPhone X is a damn good phone too.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

Best of luck with whatever you chose, but is $40 per month the going rate for what is in effect a SIM-only plan? My UK plan is just £10 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 3GB data. For unlimited data it would cost £25, but 3GB covers my needs amply. That would still be less than the approx £30 that $40 represents.

Maybe it's the insurance costs, but it does sound like you're being gouged.

And switching to this new provider would cost you $60 more? If you can afford to pay that much extra it shouldn't take you long to save up for a new phone of your choice. Just put that money aside and wait until you have enough to splash out.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Best of luck with whatever you chose, but is $40 per month the going rate for what is in effect a SIM-only plan? My UK plan is just £10 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 3GB data. For unlimited data it would cost £25, but 3GB covers my needs amply. That would still be less than the approx £30 that $40 represents.

Maybe it's the insurance costs, but it does sound like you're being gouged.

And switching to this new provider would cost you $60 more? If you can afford to pay that much extra it shouldn't take you long to save up for a new phone of your choice. Just put that money aside and wait until you have enough to splash out.

Even if he can afford some other phone, an S9 or whatever, this is still a great deal.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
If the notch doesn't bother you, go for it. If it weren't for that, I would have owned one when it released.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
iPhone X is pretty vastly different, it's pretty neat, but the novelty of it all wears out pretty quick from what I've heard from friends with it (2-3 months).

I'd say go for a high end android device personally

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I went from Android to iOS a few years ago. Went right back to Android when my contract was up.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't. Android to iPhone is painful, especially dealing with the wonky ass notification system and seemingly arbitrary ways of doing simple tasks. It also depends how much you make use of the Google ecosystem which is basically integrated into Android at this point

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So bill goes from $40 a month to $100 a month? Or from $40 to $60?

How long is the period of the contract?

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I'm posting this from my X, so the decision has been made! Thanks for the input, the deal was just too good to pass up. There's a lot I'm liking about it but a lot I have to get used to from Android. I see myself probably going back to Android when this is all said and done, but I think I'll dig it for the time being.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
I went from a nexus 6p to an iPhone X two weeks ago when my 6p died.

VERY happy with the move. I am someone whose only used android phones except for 2 months when I used an iPhone 6 before switching plans and going back to android.

It took a few days to get the hang of it but the interface is great, the size is perfect. A big deal for me was every android device I've ever owned was released to amazing reviews only to have major fatal flaws turn up a year later. When my nexus 6p died (which was my second 6p, first one was replaced under extended warranty) I just couldn't take it anymore.