• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Chief's story should end with Infinite?

• Yes

Votes: 147 28.9%
  • No

Votes: 173 34.0%
  • I think Halo is a pretty cool guy

Votes: 189 37.1%

• Total voters

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
3840_HaloInfinite_E318_MasterChief_CROP-630x268.png

Master Chief goes by many different aliases: John, Spartan 117, Demon, and etc. Whatever you want to call him, he's always been the face of the Halo series. When you think of Halo, he's generally the first thing that comes to mind.

Halo: Infinite is supposed to be the conclusion in the latest saga (H4, H5, and Infinite). So with that in mind, should Master Chief's story finally come to an end? 343i has tried to introduce other playable characters, however, they are generally meant with a lot of backlash. For instance, Fireteam Osiris in Halo 5. None of these characters were well received (besides an old established character like Buck). Everyone just wanted to play as the Chief.

So when should Chief's story end? Do they just put him on ice again (like H3) or do they finally end his saga with Infinite? Or does Master Chief become infinite?

Last edited:

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Should've ended after Halo 3, but at this point no. He's a superhero at this point. They'll find ways to keep him around forever.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
No, but they do need better writers going forward. We know that the game has the Narrative Director from the Batman Arkham games.

Do we know who's writing Infinite yet?

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Should've ended with 3 tbh. Would have liked to see them flash forward farther than just ~5 years and with a new character for Halo 4

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think he deserves an ending at some point. Especially since Steve Downes isn't going to be around forever.

But it's hard to replacement Master Chef. Their attempt in Halo 5 was already a bad one, but I think there were other factors involved that made it hard to digest Fireteam Osiris as the new mains. Suddenly introduced characters whose context are entirely outside of the games shoved center stage as the new faces just doesn't fly.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually really liked Locke and would have been fine with him being the MC going forward, but i'm fine with them keeping Chief as well. He's a cool guy.

Nov 11, 2017
Why would infinite even have the chief? Seems like a good opportunity for a break if it's a lot of people sharing the world. Or will there be single player?

Edit: just reread about it... why did I think this game was an mmo?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I don't think Master Chief is necessary for a good Halo game (Halo Reach, Halo ODST) BUT I don't think his story needs to end. He's a character that can be put anywhere at this point, just like any other superhero.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
No.

343 tried in Halo 4 to make Sarah Palmer the future of the franchise, as a key player and the community at large hated her/it.

343 tried again in Halo 5 to make Locke the future of the franchise, and a key player to potentially replace Chief, and the community hated it.

The community wants Chief to stay the fave of the franchise. If 343 hasn't learned this lesson yet, I have no faith anymore.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief is Halo. Halo is the Master Chief.

The Halo Universe on the other hand, has a lot of potential.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I guess. It should've ended with 3, tbh. It ODST and Reach were the perfect springboard to move on from him to tell stories with other parts of the universe instead, potential that's been squandered for the most part. 3 more games with the Chief (even though 5 should only count for like... a third) is plenty. End him and Cortana for good with Infinite.

It won't happen though. 343 has really gotten themselves into an impossible situation with this series and keeping the Chief around is the easiest way for them to score points with a certain segment of players no matter what.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, unless Master Chief turns evil and joins the covenant. Only then should he continue to live.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
No.

343 tried in Halo 4 to make Sarah Palmer the future of the franchise, as a key player and the community at large hated her/it.

343 tried again in Halo 5 to make Locke the future of the franchise, and a key player to potentially replace Chief, and the community hated it.

The community wants Chief to stay the fave of the franchise. If 343 hasn't learned this lesson yet, I have no faith anymore.

I think the community would've been more receptive to Locke if MC wasn't relegated to a cameo role in the game.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind voting for both, MC could straight up die on screen in the next game and he would be back in the next one. He is the Optimus Prime of this franchise. He will always be back.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Mainline Halo should always be Master Chief, but I'm down for Halo: -name- that's a story within the universe, like Halo Wars, Reach, and ODST.

I do also think Chief's story should come to an end soon though. Halo 4 and 5 felt like wasted potential, they should've gone balls to the wall crazy with Halo 4, Chief being completely alone and stranded on the shield world/brand new type of planet structure. Cortana going nuts, maybe a new civilization... no Covenant or UNSC at all.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
No. He is the Halo's Link (LoZ). Even when he's finished this chronicle, they should just put him on ice until the next big bad threat appears and he needs to be woken.

They need to continue through the eyes of Chief, at least until a suitable, extremely well-liked surrogate character can replace him.

Also OP - I'm pretty sure Infinite isn't the closure of this saga. I recall 343i saying that while initially they'd planned a trilogy (i.e. 4, 5, 6), early in Halo 5's development they decided on the simply having the saga be as long as it needed to be.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I think its time to see his face, time to see his motivations, time to see him grow beyond transplanted DoomGuy.

Just because Metroid: Other M failed at giving an established, iconic sci-fi character a bigger in-game backstory doesn't mean it can't be done.

bickieditches

Aug 5, 2018
I think he deserves an ending at some point. Especially since Steve Downes isn't going to be around forever.

But it's hard to replacement Master Chef. Their attempt in Halo 5 was already a bad one, but I think there were other factors involved that made it hard to digest Fireteam Osiris as the new mains. Suddenly introduced characters whose context are entirely outside of the games shoved center stage as the new faces just doesn't fly.

Not sure Steve Downs should be a limitation tbh. I think most people still think of MC as a largely silent protagonist (read: his voice doesn't matter). Keep him in the games, or at least his armor design, and Microsoft should be fine.

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Also OP - I'm pretty sure Infinite isn't the closure of this saga. I recall 343i saying that while initially they'd planned a trilogy (i.e. 4, 5, 6), early in Halo 5's development they decided on the simply having the saga be as long as it needed to be.

The more I look into it. It seems that it was originally supposed to be the end of the Reclaimer trilogy, however, they changed it to a saga that way they can keep all options opened.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
It should have ended with 3. Captain Chief had never been much of a character, more of a player insert, and he Halo games Bungie made without him show that the series would have been better off leaving him behind a long time ago.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Something something world's biggest assholes.

They can improve his story and characterization from H5, but I doubt it can be as good as H4, let alone the classics. Whichever the case, try not to end it on a note as weak as H5's. He has a lot of heroic deaths to match.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, ask me again after Gears 5. As it stands the answer is NO.

It should have ended with 3. Captain Chief had never been much of a character, more of a player insert, and he Halo games Bungie made without him show that the series would have been better off leaving him behind a long time ago.

Better off for whom?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I think they could make it his last mission because if they are smart....Infinite could still be getting free content updates 5-8 years after a successful launch.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like it to but people won't let it. I'd love nothing more than for him to get a good ending and a new character to come forward. Locke should have been it but they bungled that with 5.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Chief is Halo. Halo is Chief.
Afraid they are gonna fuck him up even more than they did and give us someone as messed up as Team Osiris.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Master Chief has pretty much been dead since 343 tried to make him a "real character," so whatever

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
no. just like link, he's a staple to video games in general and can be used in multiple storylines .

Link isn't the same person though. Master Chief as much as I love him needs an Uncharted 4 moment. Quite frankly the smart thing would've been to pass the torch in Halo 4. No one had an issue with Noble team in Reach either. Forcing Locke on us in a sub-par campaign with misdirection marketing wasn't the way to try.

If you think Master Chief is Halo the maybe the series needs to end as a whole. There's so much more to be done in the universe than repeatedly taking ol'reliable out for a drive every 3-5 years.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I don't have a problem with them trying to flesh out the character a bit more. Like him showing emotion with Cortana. That AI has been with him for years.

The Chief - Cortana storyline worked really well in Halo 4. Depends how attached someone is to the original trilogy. I've played the games casually (beat 1 + 3 a few times) and heard it can be jarring to see their relationship change so suddenly in 4. I noticed but thought it was done really well. Great writing.

Shame Halo 5 ruins 4's emotional ending and drags a beloved character through the dirt :/

'Hey let's bring our fanbases fav character back from the dead and make them EVIL with little to no explanation why...'
What a car crash! Glad they're course correcting with Infinite, though.

Recent speculation/evidence suggests 343 are going to explain Cortana's bi-polar behaviour through an infection caused by the flood at the end of Halo 2.