• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Switch current success has pretty much nothing to do with 3rd party downports so I am not sure why they would start worrying about it now.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
No, Nintendo has found their niche. Amazing first party titles and a variety of third party games that appeal to all sorts of people. They will do wonderful.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Switch isn't dependent on AAA 3rd Party ports for sales. The hardware ifself is a big selling point due to the form factor and convenience, as is their library of First Party software. Those will continue to be the driving force.

I'd also add that PS5 seems to be on track for a 2020 release. At that point Switch will have been on the market for 3+ years. We can probably expect a year of cross gen support of some type, meaning it will likely get some support even after PS5 releases.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
3rd party Xbox/ps4 down ports isn't why the switch is selling well right now.

It's first party Nintendo and indie games with good word of mouth.

You say they can support themselves and give Wii U a reason why, but you gotta remember Back then Nintendo had 2 complete different platforms to support. Now there's only 1

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with Japanese third parties, they're starting to become more ambitious with their games with regards to hardware.
Most japanese games don't target high specs. They'll take years to focus on PS5, a hard to develop system and that won't sell much at all in Japan, outside of the rare ones like Capcom -- that already skip Switch in their big projects. I don't think it will change anything to them and most of their production for years will still be PS4/Switch.

Basically, Switch almost never had AAA games. It just won't get them anymore. And that's fine, they can keep getting japanese games, small scale stuff, 1st party.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
If Switch continues the hybrid system they have now? No, people that want to play in handheld mode will get one and make it successful. If they move away from that, which I doubt happens but if they do...maybe a little?

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Benji , I would like to hear your remarks about this topic.

My short answer is that Nintendo can see coming; the bulk of the software sold on the platform is currently first party and it is likely that the hardware performance is due to them primarily. If this will last or not, that is if either 1st party sotware and hardware continue to be correlated (like it seems to be the case) or if new adopters buy the machine for the content put on it by third parties, remains to be seen. However, there's no indication so far that this will change.

That's why it would be interesting to get some information about some key performance indices for the Switch such as the average time spent on the console, the eShop performance this quarter, the share of third party titles compared to the total sotware sales, and the demographics data. The upcoming investor meeting might shed some light on these, and in turn inform us better about the platform's future.

I can't wait personally because this fiscal year has been really interesting sales-wise.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People how no reason to buy a separate Nintendo handheld device now that there's only 1 Nintendo system

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Most japanese games don't target high specs. They'll take years to focus on PS5, a hard to develop system and that won't sell much at all in Japan, outside of the rare ones like Capcom -- that already skip Switch in their big projects. I don't think it will change anything to them and most of their production for years will still be PS4/Switch.

Basically, Switch almost never had AAA games. It just won't get them anymore. And that's fine, they can keep getting japanese games, small scale stuff, 1st party.
Capcom isn't the only one. A good chunk of Bandai Namco's bigger projects are also skipping the Switch, & this will only get worse going into 2021.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Do you realise that Nintendo have actually only put out 12 first party games (not counting Labo; and generously counting Smash Ultimate and Splatoon 2 amongst the "original" titles) that aren't Wii U ports throughout the entirety of the Switch's lifetime so far?

That's nothing! They can't rely on Wii U ports forever; and they need third parties to fill in those gaps! They cannot survive on their own! Wii U is living proof of that! (As is the early death of Wii).

They need a solution!
To be fair their Wii U ports sell a ton, Mario Kart DX and Zelda are beasts

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Do you realise that Nintendo have actually only put out 12 first party games (not counting Labo; and generously counting Smash Ultimate and Splatoon 2 amongst the "original" titles) that aren't Wii U ports throughout the entirety of the Switch's lifetime so far?

Do you realize that Sony has actually only put out 12 first party games (that aren't second-party games or remasters) in the same time period?

Nintendo gets a lot of third-party support. It's just not AAA support.

OP
OP
Oct 29, 2017
No, Nintendo has found their niche. Amazing first party titles and a variety of third party games that appeal to all sorts of people. They will do wonderful.

They won't have the latter for much longer... And their first party output will dry up once they run out of Wii U games to port.

Unless you really think that they are pumping out a healthy amount of original first party releases right now; in which case, I hope you like having 4-6 month gaps of literal nothing in between releases! The Wii U was sure a fun time!

Do you realize that Sony has actually only put out 12 first party games (that aren't second-party games or remasters) in the same time period?

Nintendo gets a lot of third-party support. It's just not AAA support.

Sony don't rely on their first party games to survive; Nintendo will have to.

Completely incomparable situations.

To be fair their Wii U ports sell a ton, Mario Kart DX and Zelda are beasts

They are finite and will not last forever. They are already running out of games to port/enhance!

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
No, they are fine. But this let me to think will they do Switch 2 after this Switch (in like 4-5years?) I think they will do it makes sense and also for japanese market portable gaming is huge here. But Nintendo always says they are doing something unique, and different so who knows.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, there's a good chance that it probably will be out by then... but there's no way that it'll be powerful enough to receive downports (unless something big changes with their console design)... putting them right back in the same situation they were in with the Wii U...

Nintendo can't survive on their own. The droughts will kill them, just like it killed the Wii U.

They can too. By 2021 the switch userbase will be well over what 60 million ? That's 3ds trajectory

And once again they don't have 2 ( 3ds is dead ) platforms to support so Wii U shouldn't even be part of the conversation

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Not really. They're going their own way as usual, and luckily for them putting chips down on portable gaming still being a thing in the smartphone age seems to be working for them.

Oct 26, 2017
The Switch barely gets AAA 3rd party titles as it is so I'm not sure what exactly will change when the PS5/XB2 come out. It's selling well off of the back of appealing hardware and marketing, the best 1st/2nd party titles in the industry, indie support, and the occasional notable 3rd party title. That will remain consistent well into the Switch's later years. They'll be more than fine and will probably win the first few years, in terms of sales, when the PS5/XB2 come out

They won't have the latter for much longer... And their first party output will dry up once they run out of Wii U games to port.

Unless you really think that they are pumping out a healthy amount of original first party releases right now; in which case, I hope you like having 4-6 month gaps of literal nothing in between releases! The Wii U was sure a fun time!
Considering how outright packed the later half of the year is WITHOUT relying on Wii U ports, I'm not worried. The Switch isn't the Wii U. It has the full brunt of Nintendo's 1st/2nd party support and even gets some actual 3rd party support

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
When are people going to realise Nintendo has it's own market? MS & Sony are competing head-on, Nintendo is the perfect compliment to either of their consoles.

That works for them, they've nothing to worry about as long as they keep innovating. They will always offer something the others don't, this gen it's portability, next-gen it will be something else. They've been ignoring the power-race ever since the Wii and it's made them relevant again, don't think they'll suddenly change that tact now.

Green098

May 19, 2018
gj4tz.gif

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom isn't the only one. A good chunk of Bandai Namco's bigger projects are also skipping the Switch, & this will only get worse going into 2021.
Bamco still releases several Switch games, basically whatever can run -- even though they have some weird late release strategy. I doubt that will change.

Like I said, most japanese games don't target high specs and the Switch will be at least at 50M+ worldwide and 10M+ in Japan by the time the PS5 comes out. It won't be ignored.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Honestly the console aspect is nice but the undock is whats the major selling point of the switch. Most people getting it for the undocked aspect.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
For now PS5 and Xbox Scarlet are just promises.

And also, if you consider that the Switch is selling because of the downports, you're not paying attention to things like Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 or even Smash Bros Ultimate.

Also, this generation is the most anti-consummer generation that ever existed, I'm afraid of what will happen in the next years.

I'm not interest at the PS5 because fuck Sony, and while the Xbox future is probably the streaming, in a country like mine probably it will not work at all. So my Switch will have some years of good use.

But don't worry OP, you can cure yourself from the Nintendoom disease.

Oct 27, 2017
No. They will receive less ports because the gulf will be too wide for next gen only games even with scaling engines but they were fine having huge power gaps for Wii, DS and 3DS so I don't see why it would suddenly be an issue. As long as there are users it will get games

I expect switch 2 in 2022-23 with at best, PS4 Pro level performance if it's 3nm or 5nm stacked, ideally with a foldable 1080p screen

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Like many of Nintendo's previous platforms, Switch has carved out its own market. Whether as a primary console for Nintendo fans, casual gamers, kids, indie gaming fans etc alike, or a secondary console for those who enjoy PlayStation or Xbox, but also want some button-gaming action on the go. PS5 and XB4 aren't going to change that.

If anything, Nintendo should be more concerned about 5G and cloud gaming - because in time that will render Switch's USP irrelevant. It won't be about undocking and taking a device with you, but accessing the platform on any device wherever you are. But Nintendo will always have their first party games and unique appeal, and somehow even through the bad times, they still manage to come up with a device which is completely new and fresh and take everyone by surprise.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
When are people going to realise Nintendo has it's own market? MS & Sony are competing head-on, Nintendo is the perfect compliment to either of their consoles.

That works for them, they've nothing to worry about as long as they keep innovating. They will always offer something the others don't, this gen it's portability, next-gen it will be something else. They've been ignoring the power-race ever since the Wii and it's made them relevant again, don't think they'll suddenly change that tact now.
I doubt they will do something different than Switch hybrid concept. It make total sense and they could improve it little. Plus portable gaming is huge in Japan.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
No, absolutely not.

They'll have the more affordable system and a bigger installed base with more quality games coming than either PS5 or Scarlett will have in their early launch windows, and they'll probably be back around to having BOTW and Odyssey sequels in the cue along with their Switch revisions and console price drops.

To me they'll have less to compete with than they did when they launched and a better library of games to fight with. Now 2-3 years down the line they'll need to have their next console ready.

But on the whole they are well positioned.....which probably means they'll figure a way to screw it up, but still no need for them to be worried.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I buy Nintendo consoles for the first party Nintendo games. Their charm and unique style doesn't need raw power.

I would still buy a Nintendo console if it was years outdated as I wouldn't be able to get the experience anywhere else.

I don't think Nintendo needs to worry about next gen and I don't even see the need for a switch pro

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
No they shouldn't be worried. The Switch is a hydrid console it gives it a "unique" place in the Industry. I expect the Switch to sell well despite the PS5 and the NextBox.

First of, those next gen cobsoles won't be cheap. We're talking 500$ minimum. They won't fly of the shelves for the first 2 years imo. So the Switch still has 3 nice years to ahead from a sales standpoint.

Secondly the price of the Switch will only go down. I expect the Switch to sell as low as 150$. That means near impulse buy Territory.

Nintendo will just do fine.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No.

Invest in AAA production, Nintendo owes next generation that much. Everything else (graphics, 3rd party etc.) has been overwhelmingly terrible since the N64 (Rare elevated them, Lucasfilms etc.)

I'm still into the portability factor, but I feel like here comes VR and Nintendo isn't being blown in the dust.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we have this conversation every year.

Nintendo will be fine. They typically don't try to go toe-to-toe with Sony, MS and the PC market. For years now they've sort of done their own thing, and their first party line-up is so fucking strong people tend to invest in their platform for that alone, often as a counterpart to whatever Sony and MS are offering.

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil
Switch still can receive dozens of ports from PS3/X360/WiiU, and a hipothetically Switch Pro receive the same from PS4/XOne.

Don't think Nintendo shouldn't worry about anything.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
They can easily coast off of being the only handheld game in town + first party releases + indie ports. I'm not sure the few AAA Switch ports that exist now are an important part of the console.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Looks like PS5 isn't a portable, so Nintendo should be fine. Switch 2 can come in 2021 with an eGPU dock for high end gaming. OR they could partner with Stadia and stream in high end graphically intensive games. I think as long as they make Nintendo games and are left alone in the portable space, they'll be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.