• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They are built directly on top of their predecessors; as is Mario Maker 2. They can't just reuse existing Wii U engines and content forever...

EXACTLY! They can't pull that trick again. There is only so much left in the Wii U cupboard left to raid; and once that and the current crop of 3rd party support dries up... It's back to the Wii U era desert again...
It's brave to admit that you do not know how most sequels work.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I really wanna meet the guy that is getting ready to sell their Switch because it's more apparent it will never get games like Anthem and Destiny 3.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Microsoft nor Sony are a threat to, or are threatened by, anything Nintendo does.

People who buy Switches are not preventing sales of Xbox or PS, and vice-versa.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Do you realise that Nintendo have actually only put out 12 first party games (not counting Labo; and generously counting Smash Ultimate and Splatoon 2 amongst the "original" titles) that aren't Wii U ports throughout the entirety of the Switch's lifetime so far?

That's nothing! They can't rely on Wii U ports forever; and they need third parties to fill in those gaps! They cannot survive on their own! Wii U is living proof of that! (As is the early death of Wii).

They need a solution!

List of release first party published software never before release on other hardware in it's first two years (well close to at least):

1-2 Switch
Arms
FE Warriors
Fitness Boxing
Kirby
BotW
Mario Tennis Aces
Labo (why you arent counting this one, I dont know)
Pokemon LG
Snipperclips
Splatoon 2
Smash Bros
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party
Sushi Strikers
Xenoblade 2
Xenoblade 2 Torna
Yoshi
Tetris 99

That's 19, 22 if one would count all different Labo games separately. 16 of those 19 games are played exclusively on the Switch.
First party games arent exclusively EPD games, outsourced games count as well you know..

OP
OP
Oct 29, 2017
It's brave to admit that you do not know how most sequels work.

They were literally built on top of their Wii U counterparts. As was Mario Tennis Aces (a literal finished version of Mario Tennis Ultra Smash).

They ported the Wii U games to Switch and then built new content on top of them. That's how they got them out so quickly.

They can't keep pulling that trick forever though... and once they've run out of Wii U games to raid; then they're gonna have to just rely on their ability to make brand new games from scratch again...

... just like what happened with Wii U.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They were literally built on top of their Wii U counterparts. As was Mario Tennis Aces (a literal finished version of Mario Tennis Ultra Smash).

They ported the Wii U games to Switch and then built new content on top of them. That's how they got them out so quickly.

They can't keep pulling that trick forever though... and once they've run out of Wii U games to raid; then they're gonna have to just rely on their ability to make brand new games from scratch again...

I repeat what was said: You do not know how sequels work. Or engines and assets.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Yes, there's a good chance that it probably will be out by then... but there's no way that it'll be powerful enough to receive downports (unless something big changes with their console design)... putting them right back in the same situation they were in with the Wii U...

Nintendo can't survive on their own. The droughts will kill them, just like it killed the Wii U.

Do you realise that Nintendo have actually only put out 12 first party games (not counting Labo; and generously counting Smash Ultimate and Splatoon 2 amongst the "original" titles) that aren't Wii U ports throughout the entirety of the Switch's lifetime so far?

That's nothing! They can't rely on Wii U ports forever; and they need third parties to fill in those gaps! They cannot survive on their own! Wii U is living proof of that! (As is the early death of Wii).

They need a solution!

the hell are you saying? do you realise that the switch is the successor of psvita and 3ds too?

also Lol at "generously counting Smash Ultimate and Splatoon 2 amongst the "original" titles"

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
No. The switch is different enough to be something in addition to one of the other consoles. Plus the hardware itself is a selling point

OP
OP
Oct 29, 2017
List of release first party published software never before release on other hardware in it's first two years (well close to at least):

1-2 Switch
Arms
FE Warriors
Fitness Boxing (Not a first party title)
Kirby
BotW (Wii U port)
Mario Tennis Aces (Finished version of Mario Tennis Ultra Smash)

Labo (why you arent counting this one, I dont know - not counting it because they are all based on existing prototypes that were never released before - like Project Giant Robot and the Wii Motorbike game)
Pokemon LG (I counted this, but really probably shouldn't since it was a remake)
Snipperclips
Splatoon 2 (Built on top of the Wii U original)
Smash Bros (Built on top of the Wii U original)

Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party
Sushi Strikers (3DS port)
Xenoblade 2
Xenoblade 2 Torna (Not a new game - it's a DLC pack)
Yoshi
Tetris 99

That's 19, 22 if one would count all different Labo games separately. 16 of those 19 games are played exclusively on the Switch.
First party games arent exclusively EPD games, outsourced games count as well you know..

That list is nowhere near as flattering when you discount the games that only came out when they did because they were built on top of existing Wii U titles. They are not reflective of Nintendo's ability to sustain a platform going forward for that reason.

The whole point of the topic is in discussing how Nintendo sustains themselves if they cannot earn any 3rd party support; OR, how do they ensure they keep 3rd party support going in the wake of the next generation rivals?

There's no point in including Wii U ports and games built on top of Wii U games. They are just masking their inability to sustain themselves based on their own output.

The Wii U is what happens when Nintendo truly go it alone; and don't have a bunch of ports propping up their library.

Sestenes

Mar 2, 2018
Iowa
There's no reason to think the next major Nintendo release will be anything like the WiiU. The Wii was casual and novel, courting a casual audience. The Switch is portable and inviting, courting a much more supportive, excited hardcore crowd.

Plus where the Wii and WiiU had PSP and Vita to compete with for indies and AA JRPGs, the Switch does not. It has already become the destination for those titles.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
My God it is fascinating to see this concern come up literally every generation for the past 15 years

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EXACTLY! They can't pull that trick again. There is only so much left in the Wii U cupboard left to raid; and once that and the current crop of 3rd party support dries up... It's back to the Wii U era desert again...

uhhh no

There isn't a single Wii U port currently announced (I'm sure some more are coming), yet Nintendo's upcoming lineup is incredibly full. Nintendo used Wii U ports to pad the Switch lineup during a time when most of their external partners had just finished up 3DS projects. This is no longer an issue. Comparing Switch to Wii U is ridiculous and completely ignores context (like the fact that Nintendo had two major platforms to support at once).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They are built directly on top of their predecessors; as is Mario Maker 2. They can't just keep reusing existing Wii U engines and content forever...

You think developers starts from scratch with every new title and don't re-use engine, animations and assets as the foundation ? lol

You probably also expect no developer to re-use the UE4 again after shopping one game with that engine.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Seems the OP more than discussion is just looking for people to agree with him.

Ironic someone that doesn't count ports, yet posts a recycled/ported/closed minded thread.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Again we see the cultural amnesia that the Wii U failed because lack of third party support and not because the WiiU really, really sucked and no one liked it

Also, the Switch isn't exactly getting stellar AAA third-party support as it is and its doing just fine

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

They need a solution!

Ultimate and S2 are ports??? :/
Wow.

I guess last of us 2 is a port of 1 too.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I think the audience for Switch is mostly comprised of people who don't plan on buying Sony or Microsoft's consoles, or people who plan on buying one but also use the Switch as their secondary system. I'm in the latter.

The PS5 and Scarlett will make a dent on Switch sales to be sure, but it probably won't be anything too dire.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

They need a solution!
Smash Ultimate & Splatoon 2 may borrow assets from their previous entries, but they're still new games.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With the exception of the ambiguity around port begging the frequency of which this 'upscale port' nonsense re Switch games occurs on this site always has me questioning what exactly the people running the site have to say about this. I ask because it's not in the ToS or FAQs but something extremely similar being 'lazy devs' is specifically listed as being against the ToS. So like I say it's weird that you can just start a thread and flat out state that certain devs are not putting enough effort in in fancier words and it's like no big thing. But even more confusing is calling games 'generic' pre launch has led to bans so I'm at a complete loss. It's happened/ing time and again and I'm just confused is all where the line is drawn. In my opinion the least that could be expected is a source or evidence that proves this is the case but in 99.9% of examples of this there isn't one.

So yeah if I missed something I'd like to see where said line has been drawn pretty please.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

So they'll put out new games that they've, undoubtedly, been working on since the launch of the system.

I don't think you understand how game development works. Or you are severely, SEVERELY underestimating Nintendo. I'll fully admit they've done A LOT of dumb shit in the past, but what you're claiming has no precedent.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, they are doing their own thing like they always do but this time they have more third party support. Will there be games that miss out on the Switch because of the power difference? Sure, but that has always been the case and that still doesn't change the fact that there will be more third party support than they've had since the Wii (without as much shovelware I may add).

Status
Not open for further replies.