• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Nintendo Stop Attending E3

• Yes, they should stop attending E3, and do other events

Votes: 41 19.2%
  • No, they should still attend E3 with their usual festivities

Votes: 172 80.8%

• Total voters

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
It is absolutely no secret that E3 has been losing relevance for over a decade now. Hell, it was even Nintendo that broke the notion that you don't need an E3 Press Conference to succeed in the industry. Nintendo, was also the very first of the big 3 to have several "E3-like" presentations throughout the year, where Nintendo gives out really huge announcements. So.... E3 has been in a huge rut.

Not only did it start to lose relevance, E3 has been extremely harmful for videogame journalists. And.... At this point, I think it is safe to wonder. "Why?". Nintendo could host their very own huge event in the summer, with 3 days of Nintendo Treehouse, and we would lose nothing of value.

With the latest rumors that Sony won't be attending E3, it is really making more and more sense, for Nintendo to continue on their path to decreased E3 relevance as well. Though, the reason I am posting this is really to get some perspective as well. For those who feel otherwise, why do you feel that Nintendo should continue to attend E3?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, E3 is a spectacle and appreciation for the industry, and it's better with all contributing.

Oct 26, 2017
As I said here:
Right now I'm in the nope camp.

It's just too important/big for folks to just abandon ship. There'd have to be a VERY massively marketed successor to even hope of luring big companies towards it rather than E3. Sony's decision to skip could bite them in the ass, it remains to be seen.

To me E3 is just literally ingrained as the "Christmas of Gaming" event held every year before summer. Like even non-gamers/casuals know it as such I'm sure. It's reported on every year in newspapers and non-gaming outlets no?

Nintendo for one would have to completely rethink their strategy. Would they go back to what they did in Jan 2017 and hold special playable events, MAYBE with a live conference format again? They'd need something big and flashy to tell the world that they're there. E3 did that already easily IMO. But Nintendo would have to do it all on their own if E3 wasn't around.

Just my two cents.
This is the only other route I could see Nintendo doing, and frankly it'd be fucking awesome if they did since us poor Canadian folk actually got to play the Switch for free at the convention centre in Toronto which was unheard of. Do that every year and I'd be like "who's E3?". :P

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
No. Treehouse on the show floor is the best part of E3

Direct + Treehouse is so good, way better than what any other company does

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my solution to all of this:

> Everybody stops going to E3

> Publishers and developers come together to fund some sort of event that happens around June, where the whole industry kinda gets together, publishers who have things to announce then make these big press conferences where they excitedly announce their lineup on stage, and everybody gets excited. They get lots of extra eyeballs and the gaming community is especially engaged around then because of the consolidation of these events.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is the only thing currently keeping E3 afloat. They can host their own Treehouse Live, Demos, and Directs if they wanted too, I don't think they really need to support the trash organization that runs E3 at this point.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Their current way is the good one imo.
E3 direct, presence on the show floor with treehouse gameplay, why should they stop doing this

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It seems that Nintendo sees value in having some event in the US which justifies bringing over the big talent from Japan for the Treehouse and other events and allows for other media tours to occur concurrently (like appearances on Jimmy Fallon) E3 is currently that event, but it could be a different event, perhaps at something like a Pax.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It isn't like the Direct presentations need to be tied to E3 in any way. This is what the majority of people are going to see.

Whether Nintendo reserves floor space is irrelevant. I'd much rather they just set up time for press to interview developers and discuss the games.

The only people that are potentially impacted by big players pulling out of E3 are smaller pubs who can get attention otherwise except for an event like this (Though I wonder how much benefit they really get out of E3 Vs something like PAX).

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if NIntendo will ever drop out of E3 anytime soon but I think they'll eventually start their own event.

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Nope, E3 is a spectacle and appreciation for the industry, and it's better with all contributing.
If the Sony rumor is true(and it likely is), then we won't have everyone contributing anyway. Other companies are starting to fall away from E3 as well.
No. Treehouse on the show floor is the best part of E3

Direct + Treehouse is so good, way better than what any other company does
Oh yeah. I would agree with this statement 100%.

But do you know what was even better?
Nintendo's January Switch Event and livestreams. The production value was way better, they had way more room to show off a variety of games. And because of this, the Treehouse livestream was better paced, and had shorter breaks. It also had more time for fun interviews, and there was more of a variety in scenery. They also didn't have as much background chatter from the E3 floor.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo basically doesn't DO E3 for real anyways outside of having a booth. They just put out a Direct during E3 week.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
Why? If Sony's going to give up their presence why not take advantage and fill the void?

I think their current strategy of digital presentation with a floor presence is perfect.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't E3 important because a lot of behind the scenes trade and industry meetings and networking occurs since so many companies are present?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People still look to E3, maybe in the future it will wither and die, but right now there are still tons of people that wait for E3 over any other event.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo basically doesn't DO E3 for real anyways outside of having a booth. They just put out a Direct during E3 week.
Having a booth is attending E3. The press conferences are "pre-E3 conferences", i.e. not even part of E3. That's like saying Square Enix doesn't "do" E3 because they run a stream instead of a live conference, or like saying Capcom doesn't attend E3 because they never have a conference

Last edited:

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Treehouse Live is the only reason I'd want them to keep going. An E3 Direct at this point is the same as a General Direct any other point of the year.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and just have a live event in Nintendo Land in Universal Studios when it's finished.

Announce games while riding in a kart.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No - treehouse live and gameplay footage from whatever games present are always nice to see.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
As long as it isn't a live event they can do whatever. I absolute hate live events, i have to sit throught a lot of filler just to get to the 2 minutes i care about. If they continue with directs, they can do or not the E3 boot, really don't care either way.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Don't they usually have one of the LARGEST booths? When I went two years ago, they took up a huge chunk of space.

So on this forum - Sony doesn't attend E3, but somehow "wins" the E3 week.
Microsoft doesn't actually have a booth within the E3 Expo but in their own theatre next door, but is still considered 'attending'.
Nintendo has one of the largest booth presences and streams content from the E3 floor during the entire show-time, but is 'not there since 2013.'

Bloody hell.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's nailed their E3 format, Direct + Treehouse has delivered every year. They have content to show so might as well be there.

I'd like them to start attending TGS too, now that's a tradeshow that could really use a bit more life.

Jun 1, 2018
It is absolutely no secret that E3 has been losing relevance for over a decade now. Hell, it was even Nintendo that broke the notion that you don't need an E3 Press Conference to succeed in the industry. Nintendo, was also the very first of the big 3 to have several "E3-like" presentations throughout the year, where Nintendo gives out really huge announcements. So.... E3 has been in a huge rut.

Not only did it start to lose relevance, E3 has been extremely harmful for videogame journalists. And.... At this point, I think it is safe to wonder. "Why?". Nintendo could host their very own huge event in the summer, with 3 days of Nintendo Treehouse, and we would lose nothing of value.

With the latest rumors that Sony won't be attending E3, it is really making more and more sense, for Nintendo to continue on their path to decreased E3 relevance as well. Though, the reason I am posting this is really to get some perspective as well. For those who feel otherwise, why do you feel that Nintendo should continue to attend E3?
" E3 has been extremely harmful for videogame journalists "????? how exactly?

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
At this point I doubt anyone would criticise Nintendo if they just stopped attending E3, they are now the only platform holder with a presence at show... Sony are out and MS despite saying that "they are at E3" still do their own thing in their own location.

I do however think Nintendo leaving E3 is an even bigger blow to the current E3 than Sony leaving with the amount of floor space and the number of demo stations they usually have at the event. Feel like they are usually fan favourites and draw the biggest crowds to their booth spaces and if they are missing nothing will fill that gap.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Nope, their approach is perfect.

Direct, Treehouse, floor impressions.

E3 is also a trading show so it's important for Nintendo and others to be there.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
So no live presentation basically cancels out 3 days of treehouse live including indie day, a direct, huge competitions for fans live streamed with smash brothers, splatoon and world championships, and probably the most effort from any publisher into crazy display booths for big titles like mario and zelda...... even if you don't like nintendo software they do e3 better than most of the others

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how they could gain anything by doing so. They have already been adjusting the show format to their own needs more than any of their competitors and take advantage of the fact that it brings together fans and developers in one place better than anyone else through live events like the Smash tournaments.

May 10, 2019
I don't know if "should" is the word, but if anybody else could afford to and has an infrastructure in place, it's Nintendo. They could easily shore up presence and floor space and new title promotion around PAX events and Comic Con, where they've been attending for about a decade now. E3 is still kind of a walled garden most of the time, and being more in public spaces with their demos is absolutely what they want in the long run.

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo never left or stopped attending E3. Just because they stopped doing live conferences, doesn't mean they stopped "doing" E3. E3 itself is not just a conference or presentation, it's a big gaming event with booths, tournaments, merch vendors, and gaming professionals and celebrities to meet, just like any other event or convention. It's like saying I went to an anime convention, hung out with my friends and met cosplayers, but I didn't watch any conference or presentation, so that means I never really attended the anime convention. That's not how it works.

To answer the thread's question, they should stay! Their Treehouse presentations have been great, and I'd love for them to continue it and keep improving on it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo will always have Directs in summer, and E3 is the perfect opportunity to show off games, in the same way that sometimes Directs happily coincide with PAX's.

I think it's more a question of whether or not they'll move their big announcements away from June to other times of the year, which I'd be all for. Everyone announcing things within the same window led to a lot of smaller announcements getting buried, IMO.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This topic is nonsense. E3 is as relevant as it has been for ages. Sony is literally the only one that has ever dropped out, and even companies like Rockstar and Valve, notorious for "not being at E3" uses the convention as a meeting place for the industry. Nintendo has absolutely nailed their E3 presence the last years. E3 has millions upon millions of viewers.