• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The news came out yesterday that Activision confirmed that they will be announcing and releasing more remastered titles from flag IP's this year, which brings into account the likely possibility of them remastering Modern Warfare 2, which makes sense after Modern Warfare Remastered came out in 2016.

3f9394aa41af85ed6f48b65410167812.jpg

Now, this game was extremely controversial back in 2009 because of the mission No Russian, where you go into an airport and shoot up the place. I can only imagine the controversy that would happen in todays world, if they were to include a remaster of this mission, making it grittier and more realistic then ever.

I feel like Activision would be caught between a rock and a hard place with an ethical decision to make. Would you be okay with this mission being remastered, and looking more realistic then ever? Or should they skip out on it, and possibly just make it a cutscene? I personally wouldn't have much issues with it, and would like to see the entire game be remade, but would also understand if they didn't include it.

Birdo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game gave you the option to skip the mission if it made you uncomfortable. Leave it as is.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
It would become an even bigger story if it was censored.

Leave it, and skip if you don't want it.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah it's a big part of the game and theres a skip button for ppl who are uncomfortable by that

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's only one of dozens of game where you can kill innocent people.....not sure what even makes it stand out when it's not a "surprise" mission.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you? Kind of a weird thing to focus on given everything else you can do in games.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
I must be hyper desensitized, because when I played this originally it didn't even occur to me that this was over the top.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
It's a story. Bad things happen in stories. Don't censor it.

You either take part or you skip it in a game.

If it is in the remaster, you can guarantee it will make news headlines again though.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I think you're misreading today's world if you think No Russian would make much of a splash now

The scene was never controversial because of where it took place. It was controversial because you were taking active part in an actual terrorist act and shooting hundreds of innocent civilians. Mass shootings and terrorist attacks are a bigger problem today, not a lesser one.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The scene was never controversial because of where it took place. It was controversial because you were taking active part in an actual terrorist act and shooting hundreds of innocent civilians. Mass shootings and terrorist attacks are a bigger problem today, not a lesser one.

I didn't say anything about it being controversial because of where it took place.

It wouldn't make much noise now precisely because mass shooting and terrorist attacks are more common. The people who would have made noise back then have shown they firmly do not care

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. It would be branding suicide for Activision to release this game as-is given the current climate.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
If the No Russian mission is totally removed, I won't buy a MW2 Remaster. I hate censorship.

Better at least have the option to play it.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering mass shootings are kind of an issue right now, keeping it in would be tone death. It wasn't really a good idea in the first place.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It has already been made and released, the world is a fucked up place. It is disgusting how humans treat each other, but may as well censor the whole game than. I wouldn't be upset if it was gone, but it doesn't bother me to leave it in. On another note, I really hope Activision doesn't fuck with the game balance.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The level's controversy was fed by the complete misunderstanding most critics had about how it fit in the narrative.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I think it will be less controversial today.

I feel the reason why it was so controversial is that 9/11 was still fresh in people's minds. It had been less than 10 years. In addition to that, the resulting war was still ongoing or had recently ended and wasn't George Bush still president? This was something that had a particular impact in that era and it won't have the same impact today. It comes down to the setting, a terrorist attack at an airport is less controversial in gaming today.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they remove anything, it'll probably be the random bombing in MW3(?).

I wouldn't purchase this if they removed no russian, though. Weird self-censoring

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Historically speaking, did Activision care back then, and should they care now?
I mean the company had a lot of bad press, doesn't seem to bother them as long as they are still making profit

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Of course.

It's part of the game. Censuring this would just give more false credibility to the claime that video games have any actual effect on this issue. There's already a warning in place.