• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many versions should there be of Pokémon games on the Switch?

• Stick with 2 versions

Votes: 304 36.5%
  • Do only 1 version

Votes: 347 41.6%
  • Eh, TPC/Game Freak/Nintendo can do whatever they want for all I care

Votes: 183 21.9%

• Total voters

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At most I can see them bumping the price to $45-50 but I don't think that it will jump to $60, though part of that is just me hoping that they don't.
may I ask why you dont think it would go to $60? a brand name with the clout of Pokemon has the ability to command full price, in my opinion

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There will most likely be their traditional 2-game setup, and they will definitely be $60.

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
It would be interesting if they went with a unified single version. For me personally, pokemon has lacked significant progress to its formula since its inception, and that has waned my interest for the series. Having 2 versions is a small indicator of more of the same. It just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
There are going to be two, but I doubt they'll be the full $60, since they definitely won't be developed as console games. Honestly if they are $60, you can pretty much throw the idea that Swotch games will be priced at whether they were developed as console or portable in the trash

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, its going to be two even though I want one. Never bought two versions, buy one and get the others exclusive from a friend

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon having 2 different version at launch is secretly one of the most disgusting business practices that no one cares about to stop.

Of course they won't stop it, easy money.

In case some hardcore fans get riled for this, this mainly for base games having 2 versions. Emerald, Platinum & Ultra SM are upgrades, not variants so they are ok. But even now they are releasing 2 versions of game that honestly should be just 1.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It'll never not have 2 version. Its just this time they'll both be $60. At least we get multiple saves finally.

Also Im almost positive a tiny tiny minority double dip on both versions.

Riskman

Oct 27, 2017
I would be surprised if they didn't release two versions of Pokemon Switch. It's a good way to encourage trading and interaction between players.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
One version, but make the Pokemon you can catch in your game dependant upon your actions somehow. Then set up a decent online system for trading with other players.

That way if you want to buy more copies to make different decisions or something then go for it, but otherwise you can trade across the network with people who acted differently.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
There is online right?

So what's the point of having just 2 if you can just trade with others?

There should be minimum 4 versions lol

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It should and thankfully probably will still be 2 versions. That's just an iconic thing for this series, and there's no harm in it.

MongKey

Oct 29, 2017
I don't mind 2 versions for the past games since they only allow for one save per game. Need to buy 2 anyway for my sister and I. Although I really want to play through Alpha Sapphire and Moon without wiping my sister's saves. Makes me want multiple saves in these games so that I can replay them easily.

They should make only 1 version for the switch since they will most likely lock a single save per account. Which is not that bad when I could just make a dummy account to get multiple saves. That means I would just need to buy once and share rather than twice if there are 2 versions. No need to worry about future replays as well.

A single more robust game like the third pokemon versions would be best for me.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
1 of course, why would i want 2 different versions?

what they should do instead is to have an in game options that will change the pokemons that appears depending on your answers, simple as that.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Has to be two versions, unless we will have people come out and say its a spin-off and not the main series.

lol

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
2 versions are part of the Pokémon franchise, it's a "feature" by itself. Exclusive Pokémon on each version promotes interactivity, trades and playing with friends.

Still, if they try to focus on Home play, they might do just one version. if they focus on Portable, 2 versions.

ChakosCough

Oct 27, 2017
Needing to pay another $60 for a couple new Pokemon is dumb, considering the game is going to be a massive success solely based on its name, and really doesn't seem like it costs nearly as much money to develop as most other modern games.

You don't need to pay an additional $60 for a couple new Pokemon. The whole aspect of Pokemon has been built around is trading. Why people think this will suddenly change on the Switch is beyond me

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
They ALWAYS do two, so I would not mind at all if they do it again at full price. I expect to be a console-caliber experience, though. And my money is on Kanto sequels given the return to its roots of Zelda and in some degree Mario -return to Mario 64-.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure they're going to make two versions, there's really no reason why they shouldn't. The Switch is still a handheld and people will still be able to meet with friends to trade Pokemon, so I don't see what has changed.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to see them do "multiple versions" based on your Switch region with version exclusives done in Pokemon Go/Vivillion style.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
What does being $60 have to do with anything? It'll be two versions because otherwise there's no reason to trade with others....pretty self explanatory

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I think they are going to keep it consistent with two versions like they always have. Wouldn't mind 1 version since when I do get a Switch, i'll be the only one of my friends with it.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They ALWAYS do two, so I would not mind at all if they do it again at full price. I expect to be a console-caliber experience, though. And my money is on Kanto sequels given the return to its roots of Zelda and in some degree Mario -return to Mario 64-.
You do realize that Pokémon isn't just a game, but also a marketing machine. It'd be kinda hard to keep the merchandise profits coming in strong without new Pokémon. Plus it'd be weird for the first mainline Pokémon game on the Switch to be revisiting an older region.

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon having 2 different version at launch is secretly one of the most disgusting business practices that no one cares about to stop.

Of course they won't stop it, easy money.

In case some hardcore fans get riled for this, this mainly for base games having 2 versions. Emerald, Platinum & Ultra SM are upgrades, not variants so they are ok. But even now they are releasing 2 versions of game that honestly should be just 1.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone cares anymore. There hasn't been any reason to buy both since Diamond and Pearl introduced online trading

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer one game and not two, but I understand either way.

If there are two I would probably get one at launch and the other a few months afterward, so I guess I am part of the problem.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how the price tag has anything to do with the strategy. And I love the team-aligning that happens every time. Last time I sided with Sun, most of my friends sided with Moon. There's this absolutely pointless preference side to it that I love. So I'd like two versions.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Neoxon why do you think they do two versions? And do you think those reasons will have changed at all for the switch game?

Very few people buy both versions, even less so now because you can just trade with others online instead of owning two handhelds and both versions just to trade with yourself. It's still going to be a game designed around collecting and trading, so it will still have two or more versions imo

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see them do user unique versions. Make it spin up your pokemon mix based on system id or something. Then you never reallly know what you might see and be more inclined to trade.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't mind 2 versions, it always spices things up. We can't open a new gen with only 1 main legendary!

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see them do user unique versions. Make it spin up your pokemon mix based on system id or something. Then you never reallly know what you might see and be more inclined to trade.
That might be interesting but then you would have a random set of exclusives so you can't choose a version based on which pokemon you want to be able to catch

SeZMehK

Turnip King
Oct 27, 2017
New York
I would like two versions to continue the tradition. Cost wise, I hope they stop at $50 to compensate the migration to the Switch but not hit the full blown $60 price tag. I will get one at launch and the other version when there is some kind of sale.

Mithrawn

Oct 29, 2017
Va Beach
I think 2 versions is the way to go. Would provide a better sales margin and might push for better online capabilties for trading.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
There is so much wrong here, it's pretty clear you don't understand how Pokémon usually operates.

First, get it out of your head that these games will be "console caliber", they won't be. Pokémon has and always will be a primarily handheld experience. The only reason these won't be is because the Switch is a 'hybrid', which is clearly not what people actually believe given the hype around this.

Second, you realize that Pokémon is only co-owned by Nintendo right? Even if Nintendo wanted to do some Kanto revisit, they don't have the power to enforce that decision. Besides, GameFreak and TPCi have been doing throwbacks to Gen I ever since Gen V, to varying degrees of pandering and success. Gameplay-wise they'll never go back to Gen I because that battle system was glitched and broken and has since been added upon and improved. The closest thing to what you're describing that we could possibly get is something we already have: virtual console ports of the older games.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I never really thought about it, but yeah there will be two most likely. its a part of the formula, and by this point its a pretty proven formula.