• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So, ever since Resident Evil 3, each numbered entry in the Resident Evil Games took out their iconic villains. Zombies. And ever since then, we have really just had Not-Zombies that acted sort of like zombies..... but not really. Veronica and Zero had Zombies, however they are mostly prequels.

Resident Evil 4 had Ganados, which were basically just hyperactive, aggressive humans which occasionally burst into a parastic creature. Resident Evil 5 had the same thing, just called Majinis.

Resident Evil 7, Revelations had all sorts of goop monsters. Which.... really weren't that scary in itself.

Out of all of these, Resident Evil Revelations 2 comes close to having zombie-like creatures. Which was a pretty decent change, but they really aren't zombies either.

Resident Evil 6? What is this Resident Evil 6 you speak of? Everyone knows it went to Resident Evil 5 to 7. Man, what a weird numbering scheme.

So, we come back to Resident Evil 2 Remake, and Zombies are back. They are really really scary! They are by far the most memorable basic enemy in the entire series and RE2R does it perfect justice! So...... Should they come back? With the next brand new Resident Evil game, would you want to see Plagas enemies, some Goop, Zombies, or something brand new for the main enemies?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Make them less spongey than RE2 zombies, but yeah. Or if they have to concede to story progression, a different kind of virus that makes them zombies of a kind of type. Like the molded or whatever they were in Revelations, but more human.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Whatever they feel like doing. Molded were fine but the key is enemy variety.

Also I don't know how you consider Veronica a prequel.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Honestly no. Body horror should be their focus with a more intense psychological focus.

Zombies will be taken care of with the 3 remake.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 had everything right except the molded themselves, but the zombies aren't THAT interesting either. Zombies only seem better because they look visually distinct compared to the molded. They literally all act the same and mostly have the same HP and stuff, only the one zombie in the one mode with armor on its shins is actually unique in that it can deflect bullets if you try to shoot it in the feet.

They just all look so different it feels unique

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
No, not at all. Even if it's first person.
We just had RE2 with zombies, were about to get RE3 with zombies once again.

Now if it's say a different take on RE zombies sure. This is just a example, but let's say RE8 had crimson heads. Most would count those as zombies, but they have enough unique that they aren't standard. If RE8 really want to have zombies, something to change them outside the norm like RE2 and RE3 is needed.

That or RE8 needs to be an action game where you melee zombies. But I don't think any of you want that (since a gameplay change up can also help with reusing basic zombies trice).

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first quarter/half of RE7 is still the pinnacle of survival horror IMO. Branch off from that, and you have a winner in my book.

No need to return to zombies.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
zombies... but in space.

nah but i've pretty much lost track of what i'm fighting against since RE4. if it weren't for the 2010s zombie craze i'd be all about bringing back that kind of standard survival horror but its just so inundated by now. RE7 and RE2make were good so it's however they want to go

Oct 25, 2017
Zombies are overplayed. More creative stand ins are more interesting. More extreme mutations. Molded were fun, would have been better with more variety.
Stay true in remakes but for new games do something more fresh.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
XhKZmG9.gif

wsTvVnI.gif

I need at least one more round of the scariest zombies in videogame history.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
No. It should be part of a series evolution to grow and change. They can make a nrw game that takes place in the classic era of classic zombies but an RE8 taking place after 7 should have a new Biohazard threat that isn't something we've seen before, even if Zombies is my all time favorite. The plant zombies is a cool zombie-like threat that isn't strictly zombies. They could even go for vampires as a motif where you need to watch the ceilings of humans mutated into bat-like monsters that try to grab you from above.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what they have as long as it isn't those awful molded.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine RE2's (Remake) zombies but they could also become Crimson Heads like the REmake. That would be insane.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't care if it's goop or zombies BUT

• Offer 1st person in full VR mode
  • Over the shoulder like RE2remake in flat mode

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
More immortal crazy people who can only be downed for a limited time, like Jack but really more like the Shibito from Siren (maybe a limited resource to permanently kill them)

Actually I just want a new Siren

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
the molded were scary because they can appear from out of the blue whereas you can usually see or hear zombies before they come. so i wouldnt be opposed to another "environment monster"

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
RE7 had everything right except the molded themselves, but the zombies aren't THAT interesting either. Zombies only seem better because they look visually distinct compared to the molded. They literally all act the same and mostly have the same HP and stuff, only the one zombie in the one mode with armor on its shins is actually unique in that it can deflect bullets if you try to shoot it in the feet.

They just all look so different it feels unique
I think you are certainly onto something here.

I mean, with Zombies in RE2R, you can actually see what they were. You can, for example, see a zombie in a police uniform, and you can get a sense of who they were as a person. For example, that fat Zombie who was clamoring at the vending machine. That adds a little bit of personality, and just a tad of humanity as well. It's with that, where you can feel pretty bad for them.

With the Molded, you get no sense of who they were, what they were like, and have no personality. They more or less act the same and feel the same. So it creates less variety.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it strictly needs zombies, just interesting enemies and monsters with hopefully some weight in the world and some variety in the monsters and encounter design.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
No. Zombies are still played out no matter how good they were in RE2, and RE3 Remake will have them again anyway.

I don't want them in RE8 for the same reason I don't want RE8 to be third-person - the mainline and side series/remakes shouldn't go for the same thing. Seeing as RE7 is the only RE to really scare me, I'd much rather they lean into the more psychological angle RE7 went for. But even if they don't, RE doesn't need zombies every single time. Just something a bit more inspired than the Molded.

Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they're a tenant of the best games in the series barring 4.

But for me, they're the perfect fodder. It's the situations RE puts you in with them that makes things interesting. The variety comes in the bosses and the extra enemies in each game. Be that hunters, lickers, animals etc.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it was during the release of Revelations, they asked the producers why there aren't Zombies anymore. True answer would be "To keep the tits of the CERO cool in our homeland" but they explained it with, that Zombies don't fit to the lore anymore since Zombies are waste of the products they originally wanted to create. Dangerous BOW's that they can sell to other nations. So, all in all they are not wrong here. But the people will Resident Evil always connect to Zombies so I think they should not abandon them.

The Molded are well designed creatures but there wasn't much variety and the Molded from 7 do not have what it takes to solely being the bad guys. They are more the additional creatures like the Hunters.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Out of everything in the series, I've always preferred RE2's mix of zombies and crazy biohazard creatures. Zombies for the "standard' enemy, and then some more out there bio creatures for the more difficult stuff. Not saying they should do exactly that again, but I'm fine with Zombies as the "basic" enemy, as long as they get wild with other creatures. Goop monsters are a non-starter for me, in all their incarnations.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Yes please, re7 has the worst enemies like revelation. I think the director has a thing for slime and ship but it was awful.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Bring zombie back, make it third person and yes I'll buy it. Enjoyed REmake 2 so much that I want RE 8 to follow the same steps

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just make it third person again and I'd be fine with fighting mutant flamingos for most of the game.

(Though yeah I'd be fine with zombies again.)

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, the standard Molded were very zombie like in their design, and I really liked them. They were a fantastic enemy when you first go down to the basement and super threatening when your arsenal was more limited at that time. The only problem is that the game didn't mix it up enough with new enemy types later.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I don't mind where they go with the enemies as long as it's horror focused. I would like to see characters I know however in the lead role or at least involved in the story.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil VIII: Dino Crisis

feat. RE6-style mechanics

Sliiiiiiiiiiide past zombie raptors!

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I wouldn't mind it but I would prefer some variety. A new virus with a visual style that is more striking and unique to each enemy. Basically the common enemies can act like zombies but I don't want another T virus outbreak.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Make them less spongey than RE2 zombies, but yeah. Or if they have to concede to story progression, a different kind of virus that makes them zombies of a kind of type. Like the molded or whatever they were in Revelations, but more human.
The point isn't to kill but to stun. You need ammo for the boss fights and stronger enemies. It's a genius design decision as it directly translates the zombies from the older titles, which were essentially mini puzzles where you had to pick and choose when to engage. Same logic applies here but it means picking and choosing where to shoot. Nearly two decades of video games with zombies have conditioned us to expect headshots to be the end all solution.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The zombies in RE2make are their best iteration so far, but honestly the real star of the show for me has always been the body horror in humans and other animals being twisted into monstrosities. As much flak as RE4 gets for its over-the-top cheese factor, they nailed this with the Ganados - that "The Thing" vibe of something recognizable transforming into something horrific as Las Plagas explode out in a mass of writhing flesh is the main thing I think the games need to keep consistent.

I think they tried to do this somewhat with the Molded (the guy's half-transformed head in the freezer is pretty creepy) but for the most part they went way too far in the other direction and just made them into unrecognizable grey blobs with teeth. You need that uncanny element to it or else they just become another monster to shoot.

Nov 8, 2017
The point isn't to kill but to stun. You need ammo for the boss fights and stronger enemies. It's a genius design decision as it directly translates the zombies from the older titles, which were essentially mini puzzles where you had to pick and choose when to engage. Same logic applies here but it means picking and choosing where to shoot. Nearly two decades of video games with zombies have conditioned us to expect headshots to be the end all solution.

It wouldn't really matter if they just gave you less ammo but made Zombies less resilient. They load you up with enough ammo on normal difficulties to take all enemies and bosses out with a comfortable margin of error, so it's an academic distinction.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I think RE games should always have Zombies be their main basic monster type. Stuff like the mold enemies or las plagas parasites can still have a place, but it should not be as the main enemy type