• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
Your issue is that you're only aiming for the head. Like it's supposed to feel awful to fight. Because survival is the goal. It's like trying to play MGSV like a traditional cover shooter.

Killing zombies is part of survival because it lets me create safe areas that I need to traverse frequently, lol. Like I know it's possible to dodge 100% (or maybe 99.99%) of all enemies if you're good enough, that's not an average play experience. The same tension of "should I leave this zombie or should I clear it" will still exist if they don't take so many headshots to permanently down anymore (sans crit or power ammo), because being less generous with ammo compensates for them being easier to kill. You'll still be forced to think carefully and aim well.

If you're just telling me I should be kneecapping everyone then not finishing them, that may be more optimal since they are easier to dodge but it's also extremely silly.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Possibly off-topic, but I'd like to see them revisit the idea of the main character being infected and having to suppress the virus/parasite while searching for a cure. Leon being the badass he is this was only a subplot in 4 but I could imagine them revisiting the hallucination aspect of the Hook Man build with a more vulnerable protagonist. Maybe you have to take pills in the environment or something to keep yourself sane and keep your body from betraying you while you fight off other infected. That could add another interesting element to fights against common enemies if the thing inside you actively tries to alert its brethren and protect them from you while it's stronger.
I swear they almost do this in RE7

Even the hallucinations with a blue hue are like when Hookman shows up

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
think they should still have fast enemies in addition to zombies like the afflicted from revelations 2. love how aggressive they are, leaping at you and shit.

tumblr_nflmmlzoPo1tdkro1o1_500.gif

Damn, I need to play these games some day. Are they both co-op?

Oct 25, 2017
I think the 'backlash towards a game universally loved' effect was avoided by RE7, granted I haven't finished it, but I think I'm at the average bit now (the wife).

Moreso now then ever, instead I think it has to do with the fact that being so crushingly negative about a series for so long becomes a pain, in itself.

'Hey, it turns out this 11/10 game was flawed after all, but it's ok.'

'Hey it turns out there is still some great fun to be had with a Sonic game, and here it is.'

The next (non-remake) RE will be another victim of such hyperbole.

I'm a big fan of the Friday 13th game that was out on PS+ a while back. Now, I'm not saying it should be played by fans of RE, HOWEVER, it's full of fantastic ideas.

Asynchronous multiplayer in a game like Resident Evil would not be the worst thing in the world, and I'm sure it's probably not a new idea either.

Similarly, these games all rely on tension and that's true regardless it's action-y or survival-y.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Variety is key. The molded wouldn't be so bad if they weren't the only enemies in the game and all didn't look the same.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Killing zombies is part of survival because it lets me create safe areas that I need to traverse frequently, lol. Like I know it's possible to dodge 100% (or maybe 99.99%) of all enemies if you're good enough, that's not an average play experience. The same tension of "should I leave this zombie or should I clear it" will still exist if they don't take so many headshots to permanently down anymore (sans crit or power ammo), because being less generous with ammo compensates for them being easier to kill. You'll still be forced to think carefully and aim well.

If you're just telling me I should be kneecapping everyone then not finishing them, that may be more optimal since they are easier to dodge but it's also extremely silly.
I mean let's be honest it's no more silly than the fact that a police station is one big puzzle house.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
They should bring back Las Plagas and make a more intimate slow paced game modelled after The Thing.

Feb 19, 2018
Why not use REmake2 Zombies and RE4 type plagas (so only melee weapons, with maybe some rare and very limited ranged varieties such as one-use axe and molotov cocktail tossers and late game single-shot crossbows to throw in some target priority) in the same game?

Zombies as bullet-spongy enemies in tight quarters that can stand up multiple times even if "dead", swallow serious amounts of ammo and some of them having to be avoided/ignored to have enough resources left for other enemies. Much easier to kill but also simultaneously much more dangerous (a tad faster and actual weapons) plagas infected that don't stand up again once they are dead but hurt if they hit and also flank, swarm and surround you intelligently. Heck, mixing them up in specific areas would be downright terrifying.

Just imagine being in a dark and barely-lit corridor and having to face two or three Remake2 style zombies on one side and a chainsaw wielding Plagas coming at you from behind, forcing you to pick one threat to flee from. The posibilities are limitless.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see a move away from the shuffling dead, and towards creative enemies. The Glasps from Revelations 2 were excellent.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Ganados/majini are way better because you can do so much more with them. RE4 and RE5 would be incredibly boring if you replaced all the ganados with zombies. Because you can give ganados axes, armor, shields, crossbows, and various types of parasites in all sorts of combinations and themes, it takes longer for the game to start feeling repetitive. The moment RE2 introduces zombies, it basically already has run out of things to do with them to make a fight with them any different.

When I think of RE2 or 3, the enemies that really stand out are lickers and tyrant. The zombies are just stock enemies to me--fodder that isn't compelling or scary to me at all. I wouldn't be sad if zombies never returned to the series.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Less zombie humans, more zombie monsters.
I think the shark thing was cool, so they should have it take place underwater, I'd like to see a zombie giant squid. Have they done that yet?

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
No, progress forward. I still think the molded are scarier than zombies, and I really don't want them to lean too hard on the classic RE thing or else I fear it's going to start feeling played out and overdone again, just as it did in the late 90's. I say lean hard on the classic RE period for all of the RE engine remakes they're going to be doing, and hopefully they do as much as they can, (I honestly wouldn't mind a Code Veronica remake after 3), but for 8 and above stay innovative with the monster designs and keep it fresh.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Plaga infected things, Molded things, the revelation slimy things...

They don't compare to a decomposing rotten walking human. Its just more graphically shocking to dismember their faces and bodies....similar to that scene with the gas mask in The Walking Dead...

I hope they keep it up like this. Resident Evil started with rotten dogs and a bald zombie in the first few minutes of gampeplay. Zombies = Resident Evil for me. Molded were just regenerators with oil on top. Ganados were farmers and cult people...its just not the dame (visually speaking)

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Less zombie humans, more zombie monsters.
I think the shark thing was cool, so they should have it take place underwater, I'd like to see a zombie giant squid. Have they done that yet?
I don't get this. I always found it pretty lame that so many of the enemies in RE1 are just big/zombie animals. Dogs, crows, snakes, giant snake, giant shark, giant spider, and then zombies? I know it's almost literally a haunted house game but I'm half expecting jack-o-lanterns and witches on broomsticks to show up.

I'm all for more zombie monsters, but not just real life animals pasted in. That feels very unimaginative.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't get this. I always found it pretty lame that so many of the enemies in RE1 are just big/zombie animals. Dogs, crows, snakes, giant snake, giant shark, giant spider, and then zombies? I know it's almost literally a haunted house game but I'm half expecting jack-o-lanterns and witches on broomsticks to show up.

I'm all for more zombie monsters, but not just real life animals pasted in. That feels very unimaginative.
Well it's more imaginative than zombie humans, yeah?
C'mon, who doesn't want a battle with a zombie whale?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Zombies are played-out.

If there's going to be cannon fodder enemies like the Molded, I want them to be kind of like the Ganados or Majini, but with the twist that they're not just coherent, but aware of their affliction, and unable to resist the commands of the BOW controlling them. Really play into how awful the mind control the Bakers were under would be if they didn't just internally express it in a one-off scene, but externally as well: begging you to help them, apologizing for hurting you, warning you that they're nearby, letting you know they can't find you (and that you should stay hidden, because they'll be forced to pursue you if they spot you again).

This would not only be extremely unnerving tonally, but creepy as hell from a gameplay standpoint. Of all the games to get this right, it's Dead Island and Dying Light (both from Techland). Suiciders in Dead Island would occasionally let out a pained "heeeeeeeellllllp... meeeeeeee" while Virals in Dying Light would recoil in pain, cover their face, and even exclaim, "RUN AWAY!" or "GET BACK!" when struck.

The best enemy in a horror game is a one that's just as reluctant to hurt you as you are to have to face them in the first place.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
honestly RE didn't quite go far enough with the zombie concept. Yeah, there were crimson heads in REmake, but the lickers were ALSO just zombies with an advanced case of virus. There's nothing that says you couldn't have stage 2/3/4 zombies with advanced mutations that were more intelligent, powerful, etc just as ganados are.

Pretty sure Zombie/Plagas hybrids that were exactly this showed up in RE5 anyway.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
The zombies in RE2 are just great. The moment you start to under estimate them you suddenly find two of them on top of you tearing out your neck.

Didn't mind them being harder to take down either. Wasn't the whole point of the different viruses to make bio weapons? This is probably the only version of zombies I've seen were I can picture how they would actually take down a city.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
It honestly should be a mix. Zombies being the main fodder. I disliked the mold because t h ey just werent that interesting to look at.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just having a hard time imagining what RE8 is, at the moment. The same could've been said for RE7 after RE6, and that mostly turned out fine (though quite disconnected; it felt like an RE-inspired game to me). But now that they're bringing old RE back to the forefront with remakes, RE8 just feels like it's in a weird spot.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't complain but I feel like to avoid stagnation since they're gonna be in the remakes they should come up with something new, or don't use them the whole game. They just need to come up with something better than the molded. Visually and mechanically interesting is a tall order, but I think they're up to.

Or if they came up with regular or semi-regular enemies that were like Jack and could talk and taunt you and stalk you, but could be permantently killed and were non-boss enemies, that would ideal I think. You could have fewer of them around but they could be a lot more varied and difficult.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cool with a mix, but The Molded were fucking lame especially since they were the main enemy of RE7.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I want to see them put the same amount of design and stuff as they put into zombies here into something like the Las Plagas.

Like look at how dynamic the damage is with zombies and add that to the Last Plagas.

Imagine you shoot an enemy and they fall apart like zombies but then they split open and start spilling out tentacles and bladed giblets at random:

WgIw.gif

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
honestly RE didn't quite go far enough with the zombie concept. Yeah, there were crimson heads in REmake, but the lickers were ALSO just zombies with an advanced case of virus. There's nothing that says you couldn't have stage 2/3/4 zombies with advanced mutations that were more intelligent, powerful, etc just as ganados are.

Pretty sure Zombie/Plagas hybrids that were exactly this showed up in RE5 anyway.
That's the way to go imo. Start with zombies and gradually introduce more infected monsters like the lickers.
The lickers are easily the best ennemy in the franchise. No contest.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they resurrect Hookman RE4 for RE8

The last bit of RE7 features hallucinations which seems like something they can go all in for the next game assuming they are continuing 7's storyline (that free DLC sets up some interesting stuff).

Put in some weird body horror creatures as the main enemies that are very powerful like the REmake2 zombies

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Please keep it grounded in its roots, just zombies and some mutated animals. The animal in outbreak where perfect if you want some more strong or fast enemies. We also have lickers and tyrant and dogs..

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Storywise the goop monsters made sense in re7 but i really didn't like them. The smal variety was the worst tbh.

Give us a time based G-Virus update. Humans, animals, etc. get infected and turn into normal zombies but the longer they're infected the more mutated they become (Wiliam Birkin mutates all the time). GIve us a way to kill them for good but if we don't then let them regenerate and become more dangerous. Especially if they're able to feed. Bigger mutations need an energy source. Give the infected a reason to roam about. Sprinkle a few survivors into the game so that we can witness others fight for survival. We can help them or sacrifice them for our own gains.

So many possibilities.

KiLLaDeZo

Banned
Mar 27, 2018
Resident evil should of never left zombies in the first place, as proven with the success of the rerelease of resident evil 2.

As a long time fan of resi, having played them all, I found that they fell off hard when they stopped doing zombies.

As good as resident evil 7 was for the first half of the game, the second half was awful due to having to fight blobs of black mud.

Oct 20, 2018
I don't think zombies should appear in 8.. I feel like they should go back to what they originally planned pertaining to RE5 and maybe have Jake as the protagonist to flesh him out more

Oct 25, 2017
I think RE8 should be a restart for the franchise - "story wise"
Get rid off all the stupid shit in the previous games and start new. Don't have stupid goo monsters and Weskers and people turning into bone-bats.
I'm not saying "only zombies allowed!" but maybe get away from all the weird hybrids.