• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Last Post or Last Page?

• Last Post

Votes: 44 13.7%
  • Last Page

Votes: 277 86.3%

• Total voters

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This has been killing me ever since the switch to Era "2.0", that especially in mobile I can't jump into the last page in fast moving threads I'm already following a bit, like that Nintendo Direct Containment Zone thread. It baffles me this button goes to the last post because that has pretty much zero utility unless you want to post your hot take without reading anything. I constantly press it, groan while the janky loading teases me for a second with the top of the page and then jumps to the bottom. Then I waste time scrolling up, or painfully read posts backwards, because my lizard brain still hasn't accustomed to finding and pressing the top/bottom extra buttons squeezed into the top bar instead of a decent forum """quick jump""".

Anyway, I dunno, I just want to know if people find this more useful than I do, poll incoming.

Last edited:

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I'd also like an option for that arrow to go to the last page, instead of last post. Possible, admins?

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Last page of course. Dont confuse it with >> button. But i agree it should be mapped a lil bit better though

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I'd just like to barge my way in here and say how much I hate Era 2.0, at least on my phone. Many threads I click on will take me to the second page despite me not having viewed them before, it often scrolls to the bottom of the page without me pressing anything and for some reason when it does so it likes to start the insert image process when I still haven't clicked on anything. And just to make things worse when I do open an image pressing back on my browser takes me back a page instead of doing what it should do, as it does on every other site, which is to close the open image. I don't know how many times I've clicked back out of habit only to go back a page, to go forward again and have the damn image to open whereupon I instinctively press back... which takes me back a page. I don't know how many times I've sworn blind at the site for this little functionality.

The designers seem to be aware of some of these issues, or at least I am taking the existence of the first and last arrows to the side of each thread's name to be a way of dealing with the forum's little eccentricities. Because what's the point of the first arrow otherwise? I can't see any. And I suppose I should be getting used to the open image > back page issue but I've been telling myself that since whenever 2.0 rolled out which was... I don't know how many months back.

Argh.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I actually wouldn't mind if it went to the TOP of the last page. I don't know why, but I prefer scrolling down to find a specific post rather than scrolling up.

I would also like having the OPTION of making the (last unread) post get toggled to (last unread OR last unread from the past 24 hours). GAF used to be like this I think. I just find it annoying when a thread is bumped after a while and clicking the LAST UNREAD link takes me to some post from months ago. I'd rather just get taken to the post that's bumped the thread.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On mobile that's one issue, but on desktop, the topic has page numbers that you can click to bring you to the top of the last page, which is separate from the button that will bring you to the bottom of the last page.

captures0j27.png

Oct 25, 2017
I wish clicking on a thread title took me to the first page. Or that if I viewed a thread and there were like 20 posts in it and i come back later and there are enough for a second page, don't take me to the second page which it often does.

johnyqd

Nov 13, 2017
This mega lurker would love it to go to the top of the last page. I never want to go to the very last post, always have to scroll up.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate that it doesn't go to the last page. It's so annoying.
Don't change shit just to change it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Last page! Also, please add option to link to your own post in a thread! This is so useful it's not even funny.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Didn't get it at first lol (last post is on the last page, so wtf!!). But yeah last page for sure, hate having to scroll up.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I also never understood why you'd want to go to the last post. You end up having to scroll up anyway to catch up, plus it screws up your view history for that post if you accidentally hit it. I personally always go to the first unread post and go from there.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
>| should go to last page. Clicking the title should go to first post. Add a new "first unread" button accessible on the forum listing and not only after I'm in a thread.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I liked it when I could go to the point an old thread was resurrected on the old site. I supposed I could periodically mark all threads as read, but that seems inelegant

On mobile that's one issue, but on desktop, the topic has page numbers that you can click to bring you to the top of the last page, which is separate from the button that will bring you to the bottom of the last page.

captures0j27.png
Jupp. I want the last page? I click the page number. I just want to see the last new post in a thread I'm following? The arrow.
So I like it the way it is now. Maybe mobile needs a fix specifically.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I just posted about this in the 2.0 thread. Last page obviously, especially on mobile. Look at that poll, admins, execute the will of the people.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jupp. I want the last page? I click the page number. I just want to see the last new post in a thread I'm following? The arrow.
So I like it the way it is now. Maybe mobile needs a fix specifically.

I believe to jump back to the post you last saw since clicking the thread, you click on the thread title. So that makes three ways to navigate. Top of a given page, bottom of last page, or last post read.

BMofB

Oct 27, 2017
On mobile you actually have two links which go to the last post: the >| button and the text indicating the time of the last post ("A moment ago"). So the obvious solution is to make the button go to the top of the last page.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Last post. If the thread is >1 page you can click on the last page by the thread title to take you to the top of the last page.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Last page.

Also clicking on the title should always take you to the first page, but I'm crazy.

I believe to jump back to the post you last saw since clicking the thread, you click on the thread title. So that makes three ways to navigate. Top of a given page, bottom of last page, or last post read.
Is it fixed yet? At the beginning it didn't really work. And it's not working for guests, you have to be logged in.
Also this:
Also clicking on the title should always take you to the first page, but I'm crazy.
We both are.

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
Clicking on the time of the last post already takes you there. Why have two links for the same function? I vote button goes to the top of the last page. Maybe make it more obvious that clicking the time of the last post takes you there?

Simply clicking on the thread title will take you to the last new post though
See a bit above: Only if you are logged in, it's not working for guests.
So if you aren't logged in the whole time, it is either not working to begin with or you may have read some posts already, but they are not marked as read in your account yet.
It's also kinda weird and uncommon to begin with; the title should lead to first page, imo.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be able to follow a bit where the convo is at, ladt page makes more sense.
Every single time I find myself scrolling up.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love it if it stopped remembering I have clicked on a thread and dumping me on some random post when I click it. If I click a thread I just want it to open at the first post, even if I've already opened it before. Wish I could change this.